The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Here's the video, sorry about the focus but my phone sadly doesn't have manual / fixed focus.

E: Just took a closer look at it, there's oil where none belongs in the engine bay and I found the valve cover wasn't screwed on properly on one side. Could explain it, if oil isn't distributed through the paths it's designed to, it could slip through into an open valve. Gonna have to drain the oil and take the cover off I suppose.
Quote from Danielw597 :Who said I hate cars? Hense why I bought coilovers so I could adjust the height, I've got them wound all the way down and can even make it over speedbumps, isnt that something!

sutely you must hat cars if you would ever even consider buying a corsa
not to mention that you then go and completely ruin the suspension geometry

Quote from morpha :Here's the video, sorry about the focus but my phone sadly doesn't have manual / fixed focus.

E: Just took a closer look at it, there's oil where none belongs in the engine bay and I found the valve cover wasn't screwed on properly on one side. Could explain it, if oil isn't distributed through the paths it's designed to, it could slip through into an open valve. Gonna have to drain the oil and take the cover off I suppose.

sounds like a weird explanation to me tbh
have you checked the water level yet?
Quote from Shotglass :sounds like a weird explanation to me tbh
have you checked the water level yet?

I checked, coolant is fine but oil is very low, about 1/4 of the dipstick. Weird cause the last oil change was in June '10, 8 litres capacity so about 6 litres in 7 months. I didn't drive that much, couldn't have been more than 2500km, so approx 2.4L/1000km. That's a bit excessive, but it can't be the piston rings, I definitely would have noticed the difference in performance... or would I?

Crap, perhaps there's more wrong with it than I'm willing to admit.
Quote from Danielw597 :Opinions are fine But here's a recent one
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hp ... 24263_149989_974140_n.jpg

Lols and mega gratz dude!

Adjustable Coilovers then?
Bad day or something? Or you just come on forums to release anger where you don't need to confront people?

I also don't recall saying anything about not having coilovers on the car before? I said I bought coilovers to adjust the height, yes, but I could've said I bought another bumper to have it smoothed, if on this basis does that mean I didn't have a bumper on it to begin with?

Sad person

To be fair, good comeback, even if I do say so myself.
You were forewarned, from now if anyone asks, my Corsa is standard. :hide:
Quote from Shotglass :sutely you must hat cars if you would ever even consider buying a corsa

that's a nice elitist attitude you've got there. cars are not designed to make women stick to them via the crotch. they're meant to get you from "A" to "B" in relative safety and comfort. do you use a Corsa yourself? no? then why feel the need to flame a car you don't use? you're probably the kind of guy who hates Mexican waves.
Same negative Nancy. Different subject. any chance you could change the record? you don't need to end every sentence with "is shit". a full stop will do a much better job.
he cant change.. he fell on his head when he was born. just leave it to him,skip the posts.
Quote from morpha :I checked, coolant is fine but oil is very low, about 1/4 of the dipstick. Weird cause the last oil change was in June '10, 8 litres capacity so about 6 litres in 7 months. I didn't drive that much, couldn't have been more than 2500km, so approx 2.4L/1000km. That's a bit excessive, but it can't be the piston rings, I definitely would have noticed the difference in performance... or would I?

i rather doubt that worn piston rings will ever give you a noticeable drop in performance
also i doubt that the rings will be worn enough for it to lose 2.5l/1000km after what was it? 100tkm?
A worn engine will be down on power, as it won't have full compression.
Only way to check is to do a wet compression test, only way to tell if its the rings.

Won't be headgasket, JZ's are strong motors and don't usually have head issues unless they've been overheated more than once severely.
Quote from Shotglass :i rather doubt that worn piston rings will ever give you a noticeable drop in performance
also i doubt that the rings will be worn enough for it to lose 2.5l/1000km after what was it? 100tkm?

It's the combination that does it, what I meant is if the rings were that worn it would definitely result in a significant loss of compression, thus performance, as Klutch correctly states.

Anyway, small update: Took the coil packs out, 1/2 and 3/4 had a few splashes of oil on them, but the plugs underneath were clean. 5/6 however:

Edit: In case it isn't clearly visible on the photo, the plugs are swimming in oil!
Incidentally that's also the corner where the loose nut sits:

But after checking the service manual and finding that those are only supposed to be fastened to 5.5Nm, I doubt it's the cause. Anyway, this shows the cylinder head cover gaskets aren't sealing properly, or at least one of them anyway (they're actually completely separated). However, I'll admit that that's still no explanation as to how oil enters the cylinder(s) or exhaust system.

Head gasket is pretty much out of the race though since it sits below and couldn't really cause oil to get up there, unless I'm missing something?

Anyway, getting to the valve stem seals means taking the cams out, which is really more than I want to do atm, particularly without a replacement gasket kit and proper tools. Already broke the two breather tubes, they were completely vulcanised and brittle beyond what I'd imagined was possible for rubber

One step at a time
Quote from Danielw597 :I also don't recall saying anything about not having coilovers on the car before? I said I bought coilovers to adjust the height, yes, but I could've said I bought another bumper to have it smoothed, if on this basis does that mean I didn't have a bumper on it to begin with?

No, but like everyone else in the world you will say coilovers like it is something special, go through this thread and you'll see plenty of people who do it. Statements like "are you going to put coilovers on your car?" It has come to the point where I have seen shops which sell "rear coilover kits" for the Vauxhall Astra, in case you haven't seen it the spring and damper are mounted separately, the "coilover kit" was a set of uprated springs and dampers to be mounted as the factory intended.
E: blah blah blah nvm
i didnt read
Quote from Klutch :A worn engine will be down on power, as it won't have full compression.

sure but by the time the rings are worn enough to cause a significant dip in compression especially one that is significant enough to feel it (which would be somewhere in the 10-20% power range) im fairly certain youll have bigger engine problems than a little excessive oil consumption

Quote from morpha :However, I'll admit that that's still no explanation as to how oil enters the cylinder(s) or exhaust system.

indeed
have you looked at the intake side yet? maybe the oil enter the system a lot sooner than you think and the loose valve cover is just an unrelated problem
I sure hope not, because that would point back at the turbos, except to the compression side rather than the exhaust side. I'll go check the inlet manifold and IC piping, but I really hope I won't find any oil there.
JZ turbo's are getting old, its pretty common for turbos to start going these days
At least in the video the smoke looks blue, I would say it is oil indeed.

But the explanation of how it have entered your engine/exhaust seems to get more complicated.
But you said that there is oil in places where it isn't supposed to and if it isn't because of the valve cover then I started thinking about pressure.

There is some kind of a breather system from the crankcase and maybe from valve cover too. If for instance the crankcase breather gets stuck it could increase the crankcase pressure and results could be oil in the wrong places. All that pressure is going to find a way of releasing itself.
I dunno what kinda breather system this Toyota engine has but usually it's somehow recirculating, when the engine breaths pressure out the dirty air is usually leaded back to the intake.

Are you sure the oil what has come out hasn't simply entered in to the intake and gets to the engine like this? This could be caused by faulty breather system and should be very cheap to fix and even easy if you don't mind about keeping it recirculating.

TBH I'm glad my engine isn't part of the green-movement and breaths simply to the atmosphere.

Also if engine just simply breaths a lot it means piston rings are worn. In most engines this could be checked by removing oil gap from valve cover and when engine idles keep your hand over the hole, if engine breaths excessively you can feel it in your hand by the air moving a lots.

And BTW if piston rings are worn or in general pretty much everything is worn it doesn't always mean you could tell it by your "butt-dyno". It's surprising how well even a worn out engine can perform sometimes and TBH some people have better butt dynos than some.
Quote from Klutch :JZ turbo's are getting old, its pretty common for turbos to start going these days

I know but they're about 3k new (the whole assembly), going single is much cheaper but I can't afford the taxes and insurance for more than stock power and I wouldn't want the same power from a single turbo.

Anyway, checked IC piping on both ends, there was a thin film of what smelled like a petrol/oil solution at the throttle body, virtually none at the turbo side, so I don't think that's where the oil is coming from. The Inlet manifold is pitch black though, beginning to think I have a sticking inlet valve or a cracked valve guide, makes sense?

@BigPeBe, the breather hoses were hard and brittle, but intact. Before I ripped them out that is.

As for the Butt-Dyno, you could be right. My butt-dyno was subject to constant miscalibration due to driving low-powered fwd shitboxes most of the time, so even a fairly worn 2JZ which would probably still put out more than 200hp would be a big difference compared to 70 or 100hp.
The amount of oil in the intake side, it's hard for me to say anything since I haven't seen the case. But I suppose there shouldn't be any at all.
Throttle body and pretty much everything on the intake side are often dirty because of the recirculating breather system, but if you saw fresh oil in the inside piping it doesn't seem normal to me. Are you still sure this isn't the way of oil getting in?

Maybe the oil over the valve cover and oil getting in to the engine is a separate issue, but they could be related too.

I myself would probably start by doing the breathing check from the "oil hole" (lol what is the correct English term for it).
After that I would open the valve cover and check if everything seems ok there.
I would also check everything what has something to do with the engine breathing and also "convert" it to atmospheric since it's a lot simpler system. Tho I dunno if this is allowed, or are you going to get problems at MOT.

Hard for me to say anything more really.
The throttle body is clean inside aside from the very thin film at the bottom, but the manifold is pitch black, which suggests to me that the oil gets inside the manifold when the throttle valve is closed, thus preventing it from getting into the throttle body as well. That, in turn, lead me to the conclusion that an inlet valve is sticking open, because that's really they only way I see for oil to enter the inlet manifold from the engine. The trace amount of oil/petrol in the throttle body would be explained by residual fluid in the the manifold trickling down in low-rev conditions where there's no boost and barely any vacuum.

Compression test is next on my to-do list, need to get some tools first though and they don't seem to be available locally.

€: Blocking the EGR is illegal I'm afraid, although virtually undetectable, unlike de-cating which leaves the distinct de-cat smell. I won't do either of those though, I want the car to be road legal in reality, not just on paper.
Check the PCV, they commonly fail on 1jz's..not sure about 2jz's
Quote from Shotglass :sutely you must hat cars if you would ever even consider buying a corsa

We all need some sort of first car
Quote from morpha :The throttle body is clean inside aside from the very thin film at the bottom, but the manifold is pitch black, which suggests to me that the oil gets inside the manifold when the throttle valve is closed, thus preventing it from getting into the throttle body as well. That, in turn, lead me to the conclusion that an inlet valve is sticking open, because that's really they only way I see for oil to enter the inlet manifold from the engine. The trace amount of oil/petrol in the throttle body would be explained by residual fluid in the the manifold trickling down in low-rev conditions where there's no boost and barely any vacuum.

Yeah you could be right with this. I didn't use my head enough to end up with explanation like this, of course this is possible. If inlet valve is always open and there is oil coming in the oil will get everywhere.
I'm interested to hear the compression results when you have them.
Quote from morpha :The trace amount of oil/petrol in the throttle body would be explained by residual fluid in the the manifold trickling down in low-rev conditions where there's no boost and barely any vacuum.

small amounts of oil on the intake side arent unusual and should just be a case of the engine sucking them up though the crankcase ventilation

Quote from morpha :That, in turn, lead me to the conclusion that an inlet valve is sticking open, because that's really they only way I see for oil to enter the inlet manifold from the engine.

shouldnt the seals around the valve prevent that from happening at all valve positions? especially i such large amounts
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG