The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Matrixi :

Depressing autumn is depressing.

Took the car for an import car inspection yesterday. Emissions, suspension and brakes all passed flawlessly.

More screens please, that car is really a dream to have
Holy Christ, while I was asleep the magical hubcap fairy came alone and stole all my hub-caps!

Then I found she'd left me something interesting...

And they looked pretty good

Solved my worn-past-the-metal tyre problem, but I still need to get the tracking done.
They're called wheel trims!!!!!!

Looks alot better though
Nice rims you got there.
jakg, you need to swap your alloys left/right. your tread is the wrong way round on the tyre at the moment!
Robt is right, right now the profile will push water towards the middle of the tire. Serious danger of Aquaplaning.
Quote from Takumi_lfs :More screens please, that car is really a dream to have

Haven't really had the chance to take any.. typical rainy and cloudy autumn weather for many weeks now.

Both of my babies together. Looking for something cheap/reliable/fuel efficient to trade the Mitsubishi for at the moment. It's way too thirsty to be a daily driver.

Quote from robt :jakg, you need to swap your alloys left/right. your tread is the wrong way round on the tyre at the moment!

Erm, wut?

They direction indicators say it's facing the right way...?
someone must be trying to kill you

you should think about it, if you are going through water, with the way your wheels are spinning where is the water going. toward the center. you will hydroplane very fast
Quote from Jakg :Erm, wut?

They direction indicators say it's facing the right way...?

are there direction indicators on the inside and outside of the tyre? Still could have been put on wrong, cerainly shouldnt be that way though! especially not with your "spirited" cornering!
Quote from robt :jakg, you need to swap your alloys left/right. your tread is the wrong way round on the tyre at the moment!

hehe best laugh ive had all day
A rival of mine tried the same thing (on purpose) in a race earlier in the year. He went backwards very quickly through the field when he found he had no wet grip.

Fortunately, he only did it on the front, so he just had terrible understeer. I wouldn't like to try it on the rear.

Sort it out Jack. They even _look_ wrong, even if you aren't a car person.
You guys have amazing eyesight because I can't even see the tread in those pics.

I'll get a better pic tomorrow - but i'm sure I put the directionals in the right way round...
The tread pattern that goes to the centre of the tyre should be pointing downwards like so http://www.babym3.com/~babym3c/longs.jpg Not exactly the same as your tyres but all car tyres ive come across are supposed to look how i mentioned. The rear ones look right, the fronts don't, if you look you must have put them on wrong cause the direction of the pattern is different to the rear.
Hmmm I see what you mean - maybe I made an epic fail.

Already been for a drive and it feels ok (more responsive, but not neccesarily more grip...), will try to swap them over tomorrow morning.
Quote from tristancliffe :A rival of mine tried the same thing (on purpose) in a race earlier in the year. He went backwards very quickly

Well, duh... He put directional tires on backwards. Of course he is only going to be able to drive backwards....

As far as i can see Jakg also has different tyres on the wheels... 3 of the same, and one is different... seriously...
No I have 2x BF Goodriches at the front and 2x different chinese tyres at the back.

And yes they WERE on the wrong way round, the rotation indicator looks like this "_.<-------->" which isn't helpful at all, but i'll swap them round later today.
Quote from Jakg :No I have 2x BF Goodriches at the front and 2x different chinese tyres at the back.

In the second pic, there's three tyres which look like they have an identical tread, the fourth tyre does clearly have a different tread (doesn't matter if they are the same brand, it's still not a smart thing to do). Something wrong with my eyesight maybe?

On another note... shouldn't you be putting winter tyres on your car at this time of the year? They look like summer tyres to me. Basically steel wheels and winter tyres would go better than summer tyres on alloy wheels... in the winter.
We don't need them here really, the only swap you'd may need to do is putting real road tyres on from AO48's/R888's and you don't really need to do that.

I thought id always been told not to mix tyres, don't know if its ok to do it with road cars or not?
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :We don't need them here really, the only swap you'd may need to do is putting real road tyres on from AO48's/R888's and you don't really need to do that.

I thought id always been told not to mix tyres, don't know if its ok to do it with road cars or not?

It's a bad idea to drive on summer tyres in winter, even if there's no snow. Low temperatures and summer tyre rubber don't go together very well (rubber is way too hard in these temperatures, so won't give you any decent grip and will be dangerous in an emergency situation).

And it's a bad idea to mix tyres, two different front and back can be ok, but can also upset the handling. Two different tyres in the front (or back), meaning left and right is different... i would certainly never do that.

Edit: Putting semi slicks on a road car in the winter would be a very bad idea...
Quote from jibber :Edit: Putting semi slicks on a road car in the winter would be a very bad idea...

(Yes, they are f*cking slippery if it isn't warm and dry! Don't try this at home kids.)
Quote from jibber :It's a bad idea to drive on summer tyres in winter, even if there's no snow. Low temperatures and summer tyre rubber don't go together very well (rubber is way too hard in these temperatures, so won't give you any decent grip and will be dangerous in an emergency situation).

thats a load of rubbish thats been busted loads of times by credible tests
summer tyres on cold (particularly with the silly 7° or less myth) dry and wet roads perform better than winter tyres
unless its snowy or icy summer tyres are the better choice
Quote from Shotglass :thats a load of rubbish thats been busted loads of times by credible tests
summer tyres on cold (particularly with the silly 7° or less myth) dry and wet roads perform better than winter tyres
unless its snowy or icy summer tyres are the better choice

Performance and handling are two different things.

You can probably still drive faster with summer tyres if conditions are just "cold" and the road is dry. But how's the handling?

I can tell you from experience with the mx5, 944 turbo, and now from the s2000 (temperatures have dropped now and i still have summer tyres on it, since i don't intend to drive it in the winter)... summer tyres handle like shit when they are cold.

Again, i'm talking about handling, not performance. Unless i hit the grip limit (which is lower now due to cold temps) with the summer tyres on the s2000, it feels fine, better than winter tyres. Over the limit it's terrible.

You know why you shouldn't drive with really old tyres, right? Because the rubber is getting harder and harder over the years, and therefor you have no more tyre-flex and dangerous handling at the limit. What happens with a summer tyre in cold temperatures? Exactly, the rubber isn't as soft as in warm conditions anymore.

Why don't you go tell some racing team that rubber compound (soft/medium/hard... blah) doesn't matter, as long as there's no snow and ice on the road? Seriously...
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG