The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
...dude, stfu.

On any MG forum, its usually full of the same old modding types who love a brand name. On the Rover forum, they like to discuss which flat cap is best.

Here we have people who actually do proper motorsport, and who might have a clue what they are talking about.

This is the off topic section. Please, use YOUR "noggan".
how can you own a rover 75 (diesel)and talk about modding it for motorsport?
if it was real advice you wanted, you should of asked what car you should buy. oh that's right, you did. you totally ignored it and bought the rover.
if you used your "noggan" you'd of checked google for something like.."325mm brakes at the front, what pads / discs would you recommend?" or maybe gone to a motorsport forum and asked there. my point being, that your asking for advice on a GAME forum.
there's about 12 people on this forum that could help. the rest have driven nothing more than a go-kart. so what advice are you looking for? how to modify a van? or maybe the best banger to buy?
dude, i'm not hating or anything. it's just you're a smart guy but you seem to switch off when you post here.
Quote from dadge :how can you own a rover 75 (diesel)and talk about modding it for motorsport?

No, I own an MG ZT and am talking about modding it for road use. NOT Motorsport. Big difference.
Quote from dadge :
if you used your "noggan" you'd of checked google for something like.."325mm brakes at the front, what pads / discs would you recommend?" or maybe gone to a motorsport forum and asked there. my point being, that your asking for advice on a GAME forum.

Because the best pads on a 900KG hot hatch are in no way the best for an overweight 1600 KG Saloon, especially with differing usage patterns.
Quote from dadge :
there's about 12 people on this forum that could help.

And your not one of them, so please kindly **** off.
Quote from Jakg : No, I own an MG ZT

same shit, different bucket.
Quote from Jakg : talking about modding it for road use. NOT Motorsport. Big difference.

not what you said a few moments ago
Quote from Jakg : Here we have people who actually do proper motorsport,

so you want advice from gamers who know about motorsport? and the advice you want from these motorsport experts is "the best upgrades for road racing, i mean usage".
Quote from Jakg :
Because the best pads on a 900KG hot hatch are in no way the best for an overweight 1600 KG Saloon, especially with differing usage patterns.

and that's why you don't just click on the first link and then give up looking just after.
Quote from Jakg :And your not one of them, so please kindly **** off.

there's no polite way to tell someone to **** off. again, you're not thinking it through.
but chin up sunshine, you're special
Quote from dadge :same shit, different bucket.

Seeing as the brakes I want to put in aren't fitted to a 75 i'd say it's a pretty big difference.
Quote from dadge :not what you said a few moments ago

Quote from Jakg :What I want - good braking performance FROM COLD. Won't be tracking the car, and I don't work the brakes hard when making progress.

are the brakes you currently have in the MG also found on the rover 75? if so then i stand by my point. same shit different bucket (with the same brakes).
i still don't get it. you want advice from motorsport experts on a subject that doesn't require their advice. wouldn't it be better to ask a machanic? or maybe go to a garage and ask for some advice there. or check more forums (not just the first link google spits out).
after all, you wouldn't ask an electrician how to change a battery now would you?
The brakes I want are larger than the brakes on any Rover 75 and also have different calipers...

I want advice from mechanical engineers - they usually end up in motorsport. They will probably know more about track-use pads, but still know a heck of a lot more than me.

Also, I hate every garage i've ever used, and the last one I tried to buy something off lectured me on tyres both on my choice ("you dont need Toyo T1-R's, get some nice *insert Chinese crap here* tyres") and fitting... The local MG garage will obviously want to sell me OEM stuff, and the independents will go for whats cheapest (Mintex).
Quote from Jakg :The brakes I want are larger than the brakes on any Rover 75 and also have different calipers...

I want advice from mechanical engineers - they usually end up in motorsport. They will probably know more about track-use pads, but still know a heck of a lot more than me.

Also, I hate every garage i've ever used, and the last one I tried to buy something off lectured me on tyres both on my choice ("you dont need Toyo T1-R's, get some nice *insert Chinese crap here* tyres") and fitting... The local MG garage will obviously want to sell me OEM stuff, and the independents will go for whats cheapest (Mintex).

fair enough but can your current brakes be found on a rover 75? (not the brakes you're planning on installing.) and again. if so, my point stands.
if you hate every garage you've ever used, why have you not looked for and found a more reputable one? again, google could help. unless you're looking for cheap and in that case, you've found cheap.
why not (not this is a bit left field) just keep your current brakes. sale the 75 and buy something that a 2ltr turbo diesel would have less trouble pulling. like a peugot? it'll be easier to get parts and upgrades. and an added bonus is that they look better.
My current brakes can be found on a 75 yes - but I am going to change...

I have looked for other garages - i've used several. But so far none have impressed me that much - thus why i'm trying to do whatever I can myself. All the garages i've used get great reputations, but thats because alot of people follow them blindly...

Why the **** would I want a Peugeot? They dont make a single car that fits what I want...
Probably I'm much too late but:

:munching_
Quote from Jakg : My current brakes can be found on a 75 yes - but I am going to change......

same shit different bucket (same brakes) then.
example, would you say i can use the parts from this opel corsa:

to keep this vauxhall nova running:

Quote from Jakg :Why the **** would I want a Peugeot? They dont make a single car that fits what I want...

325mm brakes maybe?
what do you want in a car that a pug doesn't have? a pug is far more upgradable than the rover. more reliable. cheaper to run and the cars are better looking.
or even a 2002 SEAT Toledo 1.9 TDi 110 S @ £2000
Quote from dadge :
what do you want in a car that a pug doesn't have? a pug is far more upgradable than the rover. more reliable. cheaper to run and the cars are better looking.

I want a saloon. That I can insure. That oozes quality. That has loads of toys. That can be sporty when I want. Thats reliable. That I like the look of. That I can turn round in a car park and think "wow, thats my car".

No Peugeot does that.

I need new discs and pads soon. But the discs / pads from the 190 are pretty much the same price - but it has better braking performance. All I need are new discs and carriers which aren't that much at all - so better brakes for very little outlay and no increase in running costs. I don't "need" to do the upgrade, but now I have the opportunity it's something i'd like to do. The 325mm discs (and caliper / pad arrangement) I'd like to upgrade to were only fitted to the MG ZT 190 - no Rover ever had them.

EDIT - And a Seat Toledo is deathly deathly boring. Doesn't excite me in the slightest. No toys, less power, and smaller, and will handle worse. And it'll generally be a poorer car. Oh yes, and it costs more to insure.
This is the most boring argument i've ever read, use insults or something ffs.
Quote from Jakg :I want a saloon.

puegeot do saloons
Quote from Jakg :That I can insure.

peugeots are not expensive to insure
Quote from Jakg :That oozes quality.

should of gone to specsavers.
Quote from Jakg :That has loads of toys.

the pug has the same toys.
Quote from Jakg :That can be sporty when I want.

pugs were in the BTCC and WRC and did quite well it it too.
Quote from Jakg :Thats reliable.

if you drive any car too hard, it's going to brake.
Quote from Jakg : That I like the look of.

again, specsavers.
Quote from Jakg :That I can turn round in a car park and think "wow, thats my car".

you're kinda aiming middle of the road buddy.

Quote from Jakg :No Peugeot does that.

there's plenty of middle of the road peugeots out there.
Quote from Jakg :
I need new discs and pads soon. But the discs / pads from the 190 are pretty much the same price - but it has better braking performance. All I need are new discs and carriers which aren't that much at all - so better brakes for very little outlay and no increase in running costs. I don't "need" to do the upgrade, but now I have the opportunity it's something i'd like to do. The 325mm discs (and caliper / pad arrangement) I'd like to upgrade to were only fitted to the MG ZT 190 - no Rover ever had them.

so you asking if the brakes from a MG ZT 190 will fit your MG ZT? surely this info would be on the MG forum? i wouldn't think you're the first person to have this idea. maybe use the search feature on their forum?
Quote from dadge :should of gone to specsavers.

So i'm not even allowed to like my own car anymore?
Quote from dadge :the pug has the same toys

Not for the same sort of age / price range they dont...
Quote from dadge :pugs were in the BTCC and WRC and did quite well it it too

Do they do a saloon with sporting credentials?
Quote from dadge :peugeots are not expensive to insure

Not for the sort of one that i'd want...
Quote from dadge :you're kinda aiming middle of the road buddy.

I'm sorry for wanting a car I would actually... want, as a pose to one I could simply endure on a day to day basis.

I've wanted a ZT ever since 2002 when I went on their website and there was a Trophy Blue ZT on the main page. I fell in love with it straight away and I promised myself one day i'd own one. And now I do.

Quote from dadge :so you asking if the brakes from a MG ZT 190 will fit your MG ZT? surely this info would be on the MG forum? i wouldn't think you're the first person to have this idea. maybe use the search feature on their forum?

...*facepalm*. I already know they fit. I wasn't asking that. My point was - what pads / discs would everyone here recommend?

Are you quite finished flaming my car yet, or not?

You have absolutely nothing productive to add, except "get a Peugeot". WTF sort of help to "what sort of pads / discs would you recommend"? I'm over the moon with my car and am not going to change...

I'm not the first person to do this, no. However those before have usually used the EBC range - which a lot of people just think are overhyped. Thus why I asked.
get brembo or stoptech or wilwood, the bests you could go with.
Quote from e2mustang :get brembo or stoptech or wilwood, the bests you could go with.

Brembo's I can afford, Stoptech only do pads for my car (not discs or a BBK) and I couldn't find any products on Wilwoods website - but I get the impression they aren't cheap.

So - Brembo vs EBC vs OEM vs the "custom made" discs the appear on eBay with cold performance in mind?
honestly you will probably not find a garage that you will not hate, they are always over priced, and they never really do a good job because all of the money does not go to the people who do the work, so they have no reason to do good, and you are paying too much

:twocents:
Jak, what problems are your current brake discs and pads giving you that you feel you need to improve them?
Quote from danowat :Jak, what problems are your current brake discs and pads giving you that you feel you need to improve them?

+1

If you're not going to the track with the car, it's pointless (unless the OEM brake discs + pads are faulty or extremely bad (known for fading/failure).

Decent aftermarket discs and pads will cost a lot of money, they will usually NOT perform as good as OEM brakes when they are cold.

Even IF you'll take the car to a track eventually, the OEM discs will be fine (changing to better brake pads is a good idea, but again, they will not perform as good as the OEM pads when cold).

Stop pimping your car...
Quote from jibber :Decent aftermarket discs and pads will cost a lot of money, they will usually NOT perform as good as OEM brakes when they are cold.

Leave the brakes standard. They will be plenty good enough for spirited driving on road tyres all day long.
Maybe he's currently visiting Switzerland and doesn't know what engine braking means.
-
(brandons48) DELETED by brandons48
Quote from brandons48 :My Dad is planning on getting a Supercharged V8 Jaguar XJR soon, it shall be a beast!
It's one of these ones.

See your signature.
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG