The online racing simulator
Quote from Alric :I know the devs don't do progress reports because they don't want to write a book about the development of the game but I think 90% of people here would be happy with something like:

"This month I worked on the tyre physics again, I tried a new way of punctures that didn't work and continued with other aspects of the tyres simulation. Victor developed a new record system for making videos and Eric made some new textures in his spare time. We think the next patch will still be about 8-10months away."

Surely something like that every now and again wouldn't take more than 5 mins and make the whole forum a better place.

I agree.

Although I don't play actively anymore, this is a game I really care for, of its one game that I want to succeed its this. I still check out the forum for news about twice a week, and have done that since summer 2007.

I really do care about this game, thats why it makes me so sad to see the direction it has taken the last two/three years. Back in the days we could get progressreports, not very often, but atleast sometimes between the big patches that told us ca how long it was left before release and what was actually being done. I really enjoyed reading those reports.

I hope 2011 is gonna be a comeback year for LFS with release of Scirocco and Rockingham, because my new G27 is on its way to Norway from the Netherlands.
So dudes. Is there going to be this scirocco or not? It seems to take a quite long.
Quote from Alric :I know the devs don't do progress reports because they don't want to write a book about the development of the game but I think 90% of people here would be happy with something like:

"This month I worked on the tyre physics again, I tried a new way of punctures that didn't work and continued with other aspects of the tyres simulation. Victor developed a new record system for making videos and Eric made some new textures in his spare time. We think the next patch will still be about 8-10months away."

Surely something like that every now and again wouldn't take more than 5 mins and make the whole forum a better place.

But you know what? Apparently they don't care What you've said and what I'm replying now has been rehashed so many times in this thread, and your wish probably won't happen. No matter how logical it seems

Anyway, the progress reports aren't needed as the test patch forum will be opened in 3 days
Quote from RasmusL :Anyway, the progress reports aren't needed as the test patch forum will be opened in 3 days

What?
Quote from RasmusL :But you know what? Apparently they don't care What you've said and what I'm replying now has been rehashed so many times in this thread, and your wish probably won't happen. No matter how logical it seems

Anyway, the progress reports aren't needed as the test patch forum will be opened in 3 days

We wish....
Not trying to start another pointless flame war, I ain't got any experience in programming or idea how long things take, but does it actually take 2 years to get something done...?

2 year delay after being announced isn't particularly professional
Quote from RasmusL :

Where did you get such info?
Meh, probably making a new car doesn't take two years. But this is a new tyre model. It's like the basis of the game. If the devs change that EVERYTHING else that's based on that has to change too. And since LFS is a driving game pretty much the entire game is affected by those changes.

But I think we're in for a pleasant surprise. Since it's taking this long there probably is more in the pipeline than announced.

Maybe Scawen thought: "**** it, since I'm changing the entire tyre model, why not implement wet weather driving while we're at it?"
Or maybe the changes in quality are so great that the team decided to go straight to S3 and they are working on content and features for that now.
Connected to the new tyremodel might be an overhaul of the force feedback too.
Or connected to the tyre model and FFB also: bumby tracks! So the laserscanning of Rockingham in great detail is not a waste of resources.

I admit that I get pretty sad everytime I visit this forum. I'm always hoping for news, but I'm always disappointed when there is none. I too fear that the development of LFS will bleed to death. Not the community, the community will remain.
But we must remember that what LFS does, it does very,very good. The base is great. There is no sim where I feel the weight of the car as good as in LFS. And a lot of people complain about the engine sound. But I love it. It is not designed to sound like you hear it on TV. Because it's not a simulation of sound like you hear it from your TV. It's a simulation of how engine sound reacts to changes in engine load. That is done very well and I hope they never change that because of people complaining like netKar did.

The basis and its discerning features are among the best in the business, and with a new tyre model they will be even better. The devs need to build on that very strong base to bring it to the next level.

I suspect LFS will go to the next level and deliver quality. I believe it. I hope it.
Maybe we are expecting to less from the devs.
I belive there are big things in the pipeline.
Things wo don´t even think about atm.

Lets be patient, cause we don´t realy have another choice.
LFS is a big and living project wich we should be proud of being part of it.
Quote from Ferrero Rocher :Meh, probably making a new car doesn't take two years. But this is a new tyre model. It's like the basis of the game. If the devs change that EVERYTHING else that's based on that has to change too. And since LFS is a driving game pretty much the entire game is affected by those changes.

But I think we're in for a pleasant surprise. Since it's taking this long there probably is more in the pipeline than announced.

Maybe Scawen thought: "**** it, since I'm changing the entire tyre model, why not implement wet weather driving while we're at it?"
Or maybe the changes in quality are so great that the team decided to go straight to S3 and they are working on content and features for that now.
Or connected to the tyre model and FFB also: bumby tracks! So the laserscanning of Rockingham in great detail is not a waste of resources.

I admit that I get pretty sad everytime I visit this forum. I'm always hoping for news, but I'm always disappointed when there is none. I too fear that the development of LFS will bleed to death. Not the community, the community will remain.
But we must remember that what LFS does, it does very,very good. The base is great. There is no sim where I feel the weight of the car as good as in LFS. And a lot of people complain about the engine sound. But I love it. It is not designed to sound like you hear it on TV. Because it's not a simulation of sound like you hear it from your TV. It's a simulation of how engine sound reacts to changes in engine load. That is done very well and I hope they never change that because of people complaining like netKar did.

The basis and its discerning features are among the best in the business, and with a new tyre model they will be even better. The devs need to build on that very strong base to bring it to the next level.

I suspect LFS will go to the next level and deliver quality. I believe it. I hope it.

You said everything that i wanted to say in this thread. If they take 2 years to do something, its because something big gonna happen (i hope).

Quote from Bansky :Maybe we are expecting to less from the devs.
I belive there are big things in the pipeline.
Things wo don´t even think about atm.

Lets be patient, cause we don´t realy have another choice.
LFS is a big and living project wich we should be proud of being part of it.

Yes, and also, some (a lot) of users who frequent this thread should have played in demo by some years without money to buy an S1 or S2, so they could learn to race/drift/cruise because its fun, not because there is a new car, new track or new physics.
It would help if some of the kids here wouldn't react so lame to any kind of innovation.

Quote from Si Mclaren :You said everything that i wanted to say in this thread. If they take 2 years to do something, its because something big gonna happen (i hope).

I think not, time and development have nothing to do with each other. You can make a lot in a few weeks dedicated hardcore time or absolutely nothing in two years if your concentration is on another part of life.

Yeah a life most of the people don't know it exists
Quote from Ferrero Rocher :Meh, probably making a new car doesn't take two years. But this is a new tyre model. It's like the basis of the game. If the devs change that EVERYTHING else that's based on that has to change too. And since LFS is a driving game pretty much the entire game is affected by those changes.

If we've learnt anything from LFS history, is that expecting more than was promised will certainly end in disappointment.

It's really is misplaced faith, thinking LFS is going to magically turn around. Giving people hope when there's no evidence to support such a claim causes more grief in a community that is already dying.

People are entitled to think and believe what they want....Some think they are destined to win the lottery, but we all know that's very unlikely. The same principle applies here (IMO).

Nothing will change with LFS until the devs decide to take a new approach. What they're trying to achieve is a mammoth task and clearly beyond 3 individuals. Until they accept this fact, nothing will change.
I do not want to start another discussion, debate or flame war, but I really believe that it is, LFS that is, has stopped. Well, to be honest, the justification that the developers want everything to be perfect before release is nothing, AFAIK, but an excuse. A simulator that is released in stages needs to have patches released regularly, because a game like LFS is not complete in itself. The fact that the developers are not releasing patches to fix small things makes it worse than making sure the items to be released is perfect.

I mean, the game isn't perfect. Why did they release it in the first place? Buggy crashing physics, lights that don't realistically work, mirrors that are actually parts of the rear view. Why did they originally have them? They weren't perfect. This is just to put my point through. I like mirrors, some sort of lighting, and crashing to prevent bad racing etiquette. Release it. Even if it is not perfect, it will be there, and will raise the quality of the game and community morale.

I don't know. Almost a year after they started the fixing the physics, they said that the "mathematical basis for the forces a tyre produces under varying circumstances and does feel good to drive". If it does actually feel good, then at the point of posting on 19 Nov 2010, they had a semi working product, which is, ATM, almost a year and a month ago. Being able to make a good majority of the product in one year, only needing a new "Tyre heating and cooling system" and having it not released after the same time it took to make a new physics model doesn't seem any how realistic to me.

I understand that snags do occur in programming, but bad communication is really frustrating, and that is the stuff that stimulates rumours. I agree. Short, and slightly informative posts are better than none, and they keep the morale of the forum up. I'd love even to have select people test it out, whatever they have, and have maybe some feedback from them. Just to tell me that I am not wasting time checking the website / forums every two days.
If you were the betting type, you wouldn't be putting any money on a LFS resurrection.

While there's no hard supporting evidence, the tid-bits of information given allude to a complete stagnation of development and a loss of interest in LFS. If in fact that's the case, then logically the devs would have zero interest in acknowledging the true fate of LFS and prefer to milk the remaining sales, until the community collapses.
Quote from Macfox :If you were the betting type, you wouldn't be putting any money on a LFS resurrection.

While there's no hard supporting evidence, the tid-bits of information given allude to a complete stagnation of development and a loss of interest in LFS. If in fact that's the case, then logically the devs would have zero interest in acknowledging the true fate of LFS and prefer to milk the remaining sales, until the community collapses.

This is the reality '
everyday is da same day ...same words ,same homies what is wrong with u ppl ...
Quote from pako_customize :everyday is da same day ...same words ,same homies what is wrong with u ppl ...

"All spam and no play makes LFSforum a dull forum."

Vain

I feel exactly the same as you, bud.

However, i am very afraid that i will be heavily dissapointed, when the patch will see the light.
I just want to write something funny and utterly stupid that happened few days ago.
I'm not one of those complaining about patch develop time and such...

Anyway, while driving back home from work I saw a white VW Scirocco parked at the side of a street (there aren't many around here), and I suddenly thought:
"WOW! Patch is finally ouit!"

...then after a split second I realized...
Quote from Ripley :I just want to write something funny and utterly stupid that happened few days ago.
I'm not one of those complaining about patch develop time and such...

Anyway, while driving back home from work I saw a white VW Scirocco parked at the side of a street (there aren't many around here), and I suddenly thought:
"WOW! Patch is finally ouit!"

...then after a split second I realized...

I wish my life was as carefree as yours

//edit: And I'm gona stay on this postcount for a while.
Nicely said Ferrero Rocher, I do the same thing really... Regularly check the forum with the slightest hope of seeing a notification about the update...
I'm not alone in thinking that what LFS is, as it is right now, is excellent.

Almost every day LFS excites and entertains me as I drive and race and love it. But of course I'm here because more, and whatever's next would be way cool too.

Anyway... On the 29th of September 2010, I spontaneously wanted to express my appreciation for LFS to the creators. Just 3 guys! I still think it's an amazing, superb quality output... Without thinking much, I wrote some things that were from the heart and found an email address on the website to fire them to.

Within 12 hours I had a response. It was from Victor. I hope they don't mind me posting this...

Thanks ******.
I have forwarded your mail to my collegues who I'm sure will appreciate it as well.

I hope the (eventually) upcoming updates to LFS will fall in good taste as well and allow you to continue enjoying LFS

Kind regards,

Victor van Vlaardingen

I wasn't really expecting a response - that I got one promptly is a good sign.

Obviously I'm here reading things (pointlessly) in anticipation of what comes next. But I also clocked up a few hundred kms tonight with friends, having some excellent simulated driving enjoyment. What's there, unchanged for a while notwithstanding, is hugely enjoyable and satisfying.

However, to either confirm or deny my dedication to LFS, I have tried some of the other main racing sims. In 2009, just after discovering and getting into LFS, I tried rFactor for contrast. For me, the decision of where to do simulate driving was very quickly obvious.

In the last month or so I also tried iRacing and netkarpro. I enjoyed and saw quality and potential in iRacing, and it felt good - physics and force feedback etc, but I wasn't fullfilled with the cars available. Having to pay for everything and a monthly fee isn't satisfying. It didn't look particularly special either.

LFS is incredible value. As a note on that - I can't imagine Scavier are making billions in profit from it all... I certainly don't feel they owe me anything more than what I already got for my S2 money. But they certainly will get my money for whatever comes next. Thus far I've purchased 4 LFS licences - It's my favourite gift to give to someone who will get sucked into it :-) and it's great to have them online. and to beat them... until they improve :-)

netkarpro: I didn't like they physics feel, but that was mostly due to the fact I don't favour open wheeler cars. Again, the current choice of vehicles leaves me most unfullfilled. It was pretty good and showed potential, but felt very much like it's still in its infancy.

The LFS suite of cars might be mostly fictional, but they cover the important classes and bases. After all, it's only a simulation. The fact it's an FR car with 4 cylinder turbo and behaves as such is more important than it being a recreation of a specific car...

The tracks are stunning in feel and layout. The variety and scope they provide is thorough. The graphics, though perhaps somewhat dated, look great. The environments are really cool and the changes from setting different light conditions give good contrast and variety in appearance and atmosphere. Most importantly, the graphics are very functional. e.g Gran Turismo 5 has no smoke and tyre marks in your mirrors, when you're lucky enough to have a car with a cockpit view.

I've always liked the Gran Turismo series, but in the long wait for the latest, I (thankfully) seeked an alternative and found LFS. I bought GT5 on the release date (and took the afternoon off work), was burdened with a 130mb 'patch' the moment I put the disc in (which provided no real good stuff), played it for a week pretty solid (and was hit with several more large mandatory update patches), but was disappointed and frustrated most of the way along... and i'm back on LFS, quite heavily. PS3 hasn't gone on for a few weeks now.

Flowing on from that... The playstation GT5 crashed/locked up on me several times in that brief stint of playing. LFS is extremely stable, solid and reliable. and so fast! how much time in that week of GT5 was I starring at a loading screen???

To sum up: What's there is great. When something further comes our way, I'm confident it will be of an outstanding quality and will serve to enhance things further. In the meanwhile - let's race!

:-)
Hello! Do not want me to say this, but .... Scawen congratulate everyone a Merry Christmas, wish you luck and will say again, "work is carried out, and a small report - drawn texture for the bus, painted a couple of skins for XFG, and put a new light on the Blackwood ....

I do not believe I'm in this project ... I am afraid that I did not see the new patch.
@edgeC0M
i have the same history in the last 2 years.
Turned around and circle back to LFS
Lfs is simply the best.

apparently there are still to much problems left for Scavier to give an aproximate release date for the patch.
i think we can make our own conclusions and say, that the patch won't be released in the near future.

if i happen to be wrong, and there is going to be a patch released soon, then we can all enjoy, otherwise, just enjoy the game as it is now, and live with it.
i have been getting pissed for 3 years about the barriers, and posting topics about it, since last year i just learned to live with them...

the only way i can think of, for making Scavier release their patch sooner, is to massively buy S2 licenses so they get all excited again

just my 2 cents

greetings,
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4434 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG