The online racing simulator
[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4442 posts, closed, started )
I just want to write something funny and utterly stupid that happened few days ago.
I'm not one of those complaining about patch develop time and such...

Anyway, while driving back home from work I saw a white VW Scirocco parked at the side of a street (there aren't many around here), and I suddenly thought:
"WOW! Patch is finally ouit!"

...then after a split second I realized...
Quote from Ripley :I just want to write something funny and utterly stupid that happened few days ago.
I'm not one of those complaining about patch develop time and such...

Anyway, while driving back home from work I saw a white VW Scirocco parked at the side of a street (there aren't many around here), and I suddenly thought:
"WOW! Patch is finally ouit!"

...then after a split second I realized...

I wish my life was as carefree as yours

//edit: And I'm gona stay on this postcount for a while.
Nicely said Ferrero Rocher, I do the same thing really... Regularly check the forum with the slightest hope of seeing a notification about the update...
I'm not alone in thinking that what LFS is, as it is right now, is excellent.

Almost every day LFS excites and entertains me as I drive and race and love it. But of course I'm here because more, and whatever's next would be way cool too.

Anyway... On the 29th of September 2010, I spontaneously wanted to express my appreciation for LFS to the creators. Just 3 guys! I still think it's an amazing, superb quality output... Without thinking much, I wrote some things that were from the heart and found an email address on the website to fire them to.

Within 12 hours I had a response. It was from Victor. I hope they don't mind me posting this...

Thanks ******.
I have forwarded your mail to my collegues who I'm sure will appreciate it as well.

I hope the (eventually) upcoming updates to LFS will fall in good taste as well and allow you to continue enjoying LFS

Kind regards,

Victor van Vlaardingen

I wasn't really expecting a response - that I got one promptly is a good sign.

Obviously I'm here reading things (pointlessly) in anticipation of what comes next. But I also clocked up a few hundred kms tonight with friends, having some excellent simulated driving enjoyment. What's there, unchanged for a while notwithstanding, is hugely enjoyable and satisfying.

However, to either confirm or deny my dedication to LFS, I have tried some of the other main racing sims. In 2009, just after discovering and getting into LFS, I tried rFactor for contrast. For me, the decision of where to do simulate driving was very quickly obvious.

In the last month or so I also tried iRacing and netkarpro. I enjoyed and saw quality and potential in iRacing, and it felt good - physics and force feedback etc, but I wasn't fullfilled with the cars available. Having to pay for everything and a monthly fee isn't satisfying. It didn't look particularly special either.

LFS is incredible value. As a note on that - I can't imagine Scavier are making billions in profit from it all... I certainly don't feel they owe me anything more than what I already got for my S2 money. But they certainly will get my money for whatever comes next. Thus far I've purchased 4 LFS licences - It's my favourite gift to give to someone who will get sucked into it :-) and it's great to have them online. and to beat them... until they improve :-)

netkarpro: I didn't like they physics feel, but that was mostly due to the fact I don't favour open wheeler cars. Again, the current choice of vehicles leaves me most unfullfilled. It was pretty good and showed potential, but felt very much like it's still in its infancy.

The LFS suite of cars might be mostly fictional, but they cover the important classes and bases. After all, it's only a simulation. The fact it's an FR car with 4 cylinder turbo and behaves as such is more important than it being a recreation of a specific car...

The tracks are stunning in feel and layout. The variety and scope they provide is thorough. The graphics, though perhaps somewhat dated, look great. The environments are really cool and the changes from setting different light conditions give good contrast and variety in appearance and atmosphere. Most importantly, the graphics are very functional. e.g Gran Turismo 5 has no smoke and tyre marks in your mirrors, when you're lucky enough to have a car with a cockpit view.

I've always liked the Gran Turismo series, but in the long wait for the latest, I (thankfully) seeked an alternative and found LFS. I bought GT5 on the release date (and took the afternoon off work), was burdened with a 130mb 'patch' the moment I put the disc in (which provided no real good stuff), played it for a week pretty solid (and was hit with several more large mandatory update patches), but was disappointed and frustrated most of the way along... and i'm back on LFS, quite heavily. PS3 hasn't gone on for a few weeks now.

Flowing on from that... The playstation GT5 crashed/locked up on me several times in that brief stint of playing. LFS is extremely stable, solid and reliable. and so fast! how much time in that week of GT5 was I starring at a loading screen???

To sum up: What's there is great. When something further comes our way, I'm confident it will be of an outstanding quality and will serve to enhance things further. In the meanwhile - let's race!

:-)
Hello! Do not want me to say this, but .... Scawen congratulate everyone a Merry Christmas, wish you luck and will say again, "work is carried out, and a small report - drawn texture for the bus, painted a couple of skins for XFG, and put a new light on the Blackwood ....

I do not believe I'm in this project ... I am afraid that I did not see the new patch.
@edgeC0M
i have the same history in the last 2 years.
Turned around and circle back to LFS
Lfs is simply the best.

apparently there are still to much problems left for Scavier to give an aproximate release date for the patch.
i think we can make our own conclusions and say, that the patch won't be released in the near future.

if i happen to be wrong, and there is going to be a patch released soon, then we can all enjoy, otherwise, just enjoy the game as it is now, and live with it.
i have been getting pissed for 3 years about the barriers, and posting topics about it, since last year i just learned to live with them...

the only way i can think of, for making Scavier release their patch sooner, is to massively buy S2 licenses so they get all excited again

just my 2 cents

greetings,
1 1/2 days left until xmas and maybe a test patch ? ^^
Quote from Be2K :1 1/2 days left until xmas and maybe a test patch ? ^^

Nice joke, moar pl0x.
Quote from Be2K :1 1/2 days left until xmas and maybe a test patch ? ^^

Do you really expect him to release anything now.
because that would mean him sorting out people's problems all over Christmas.
He's not bothered with us much over the last two years so I can't see him putting himself out now can you?.
Will you all just drop it ffs. Last year the devs didnt even say "happy xmas". We are not going to get anything till possibly next year now.
Quote from GenesisX :...
I understand that snags do occur in programming, but bad communication is really frustrating, and that is the stuff that stimulates rumours. I agree. Short, and slightly informative posts are better than none, and they keep the morale of the forum up. I'd love even to have select people test it out, whatever they have, and have maybe some feedback from them. Just to tell me that I am not wasting time checking the website / forums every two days.

A long time ago, scawen posted a LOT, there was lots of info about what he was working on and about the ideas that he had for possible features. In those days, the community was small and consisted mostly of dedicated enthusiasts.

As LFS grew and more people joined, the responses he got became more and more negative until the point where he decided that he was much better off keeping quiet until he had an actual release ready.

If he says he 'hopes' to have a patch out in 3 weeks and it doesn't happen he gets heaps of crap for it.
If he tells of an idea for a 'possible' feature and it doesn't work out, he gets heaps of crap for it.
If he explains his methods of working, he gets told to do it differently.

Any positive feedback gets drowned out by all the whining and bitching.

=====================

Unfortunately, the tyre physics isn't just about putting in the hours. It's a research project. It depends, not just on hard graft, but on creativity, luck and getting high quality data to work with.
Creating a new model that is significantly better than the existing one could take weeks, or it could take many years.

The fact that it has taken as long as it has is a testament to the quality of the existing model.
Quote from col :A long time ago, scawen posted a LOT, there was lots of info about what he was working on and about the ideas that he had for possible features. In those days, the community was small and consisted mostly of dedicated enthusiasts.

As LFS grew and more people joined, the responses he got became more and more negative until the point where he decided that he was much better off keeping quiet until he had an actual release ready.

If he says he 'hopes' to have a patch out in 3 weeks and it doesn't happen he gets heaps of crap for it.
If he tells of an idea for a 'possible' feature and it doesn't work out, he gets heaps of crap for it.

=====================

Unfortunately, the tyre physics isn't just about putting in the hours. It's a research project. It depends, not just on hard graft, but on creativity, luck and getting high quality data to work with.
Creating a new model that is significantly better than the existing one could take weeks, or it could take many years.

The fact that it has taken as long as it has is a testament to the quality of the existing model.

True, you've got a point. Lose - lose situation for the devs, AFAIK. But, IMO in regards to the magnitude of negativity, I think the level is higher than it was when the developers informed the community that they will opt to implement the physics model before releasing Scirocco. In fact, I was a happy little fella when they said they were going to release a new model. Then again, I was only running DEMO, so I wouldn't have gotten Scirocco anyways.

But, on the happy side, it is Xmas, which means another Xmas, another chance for a patch.
I think it would be nice that they would give some new news about LFS. Then we know that there is something really going on, i mean last news were 10 months ago, this makes me think that LFS died after that server move I know that making new physics is very hard and so on, but we need something news, cause this game is the best! But this is just me
Just stop spaming here!!!! Gtfo nooooooow!!!!!!!!!! Lfs dosent want to see u c**py users!!!!
Quote from Velocity. :Last year the devs didnt even say "happy xmas".

I'm afraid it will be the same this year...
i think S3 will be released when the new volkswagen scirocco version will be released :/
I laugh in the face of impatient 12 year olds.
I laugh in the face of those who's claim to fame is superiority over 12 year olds!

(j/k, it was just a setup begging for a response)
Quote from Amynue :I'm afraid it will be the same this year...

It will be! Imo its to late for anything before xmas now. Most we can hope for is a "Merry Xmas" from the devs and that all this speculative crap stops. We`ve had Lfs record and better cheat protection over the last few weeks. Thats it,nothing else coming.

Be gone trolls! Go and and get drunk and eat turkey ITS CHRISTMAS!:biggun::wmann3:
Quote from col :A long time ago, scawen posted a LOT, there was lots of info about what he was working on and about the ideas that he had for possible features. In those days, the community was small and consisted mostly of dedicated enthusiasts.

=====================

There is very much truth to this, but:
IMO I think it's the wrong way approaching this. If you just listen to the negative comments, and then chose to ignore every comments because of this, it's a bad choise.

Sure, as said before there are allways people who goes apeshit for nothing, and demands x and demands y. Why listen to them? Ignore them! If they canot manage to write a constructive feedback it's not worth discussing / using time on them. And a contructive feedback can also be negative by the way.

So, I hope that one day the developers learn to use the comments they fit as usuable, and ignore the trolls. As it is not the devs has let the trolls won, and they basically tells the users to **** off and wait for a new patch - how nice.

I understand them, but I don't agree with them. They should go on one of these communication courses
In before the obligatory "are the devs still alive" post

Merry Christmas all
Quote from JPeace :

Merry christmas!

12 hours too early
In Norway Christimas is on the 00:00 the 24/12
Attached images
lfsflyer.jpg
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4442 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG