The online racing simulator
Quote from Nadeo4441 :Wasn't the release date scheduled to 3rd november?

Where have you being this month?
A cave, perhaps
Lol sorry that I'm not following GT5 progress, I don't own a PS3.
We don't hear much about what GT5 does in it's physics engine, but I guess this gives some insight to the type of physics calculations GT5 is doing behind the scenes

Dry/wet weight listed, so it looks like fuel weight may play a factor
http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/d5330.html

Quote :X1 Downforce Specifications
Lets try calculating the cornering G's of the X1 at 300km/h from the total tire load and coefficient of friction for the tires.

The total load on the X1's tires at 300km/h is 1142.7kgf at the front tires, and 1432kgf at the rear tires. The coefficient of friction for the tires isμ=1.97. From these conditions, the maximum cornering force that the tires can exhibit can be determined to be 5073kgf. Dividing this by the wet weight of the X1 of 615kg comes to be 8.25, which is the maximum cornering G of the X1.

8.25G greatly exceeds the G's felt during the launch of the Space Shuttle, and is roughly the same as that of a jet fighter plane at full afterburner. It is a figure at the very limits of what a human body can withstand.

Test Calculation: Cornering G at 300km/h
Total Tire Load: 2575.6kgf (Front Wheel 1142.7kgf+Rear Wheel 1432.9kgf)
Coefficient of Friction of Tires: μ=1.97 (baseμ=2.16, model calculates an efficiency reduction to 91.5% under high load)
Cornering force that can be exhibited by tires: 5073.9kgf
Cornering G: 8.25G (= 5073.9kgf / 615kg)

Some new info

Quote : In next weeks Dutch TV magazine Veronica (number 44) there is a special about GT5. In small print it states that it is a commercial addition, so probably paid and previewed by Sony. I translated the most interesting parts (don't expect too much, because no new features are introduced) and clearly it was written before the delay was anounced.

Millions of fans have been looking out for GT5 for over four years. According to some GT5, exclusive to the PS3, is the mother of all race games. This fall 'The Real Driving Simulator' at last will become reality and gamers can experience what Sony Playstation calls the biggest game release ever.

… but also the VW vans and the latest hybrid cars, like the Tesla Roadster are in.....

There are more than 100 tracks in 20 different locations in GT5.

Track creator: The player has a few parameters at his disposal, among which are the number of corners, the length of the longest straight and the difficulty of the track. The start and finish of the track don't have to be at the same location. Tracks can be created upto about 10 km in length. Next to theme, weather conditions and location the player has the option the set the race length and the number of laps. Settings can be valid for the entire track or per sector. Another setting is how often a certain corner is to be taken, and how sharp and wide they must be.

Every rip, bump and almost all gravel grains are digitally rendered on the tracks. Yamauchi and his team visited all known car manufactures and development centres, raced on all tracks themselves and used satellite pictures, blueprints and telemetry to recreated the tracks as accurately as possible. Recreating Rome and Madrid took over two years.

Ofcourse these tracks are not available before you completed a number of tests. But players with GT PSP can transfer their cars to GT5 (editor, that's me: huh, what has that to do with tracks??, no mention about transferring cars from Prologue though). If you don't have GT PSP than you can unlock cars and tracks in various modes, like career mode, championship races and license tests. For the more casual player a kind of “best of GT5” is available in arcade mode.

Weather: Heavy snow fall makes the track more slippery and creates rutting (spoorvorming in Dutch) with each lap.

Next to races in daylight, some races are at late afternoon, at sunrise, or during the night. All can have rain and/or snow conditions.

Special events: The Mercedes Benz driving school challanges take place at the Nürburgring and features two cars. One of them being the SLS AMG.

Create your own special events: Not part of the Special Events, but an important extra option is to create your own special events. Sony call this “What if” experiences, like the X1 prototype and concepts cars from the seventies. Players not only can recreate races from the past, but rewrite racing history!

B-spec mode: Upto six (6) drivers. Teach them, be hard on them, but not too hard, as they might get frustrated. Sometimes you've got to yell in your microphone to keep them focussed. The better you guide them, the more their performance and self assurance improves. Once you've got four (4) B-spec drivers, you can enter 24-hours races. A well balanced team is recommended.

In Photo Mode pictures can be taken in 3D too.
Headtracking only in cockpit view.

Online: Upto 16 players. Keep track of your friends' performances via various lobbies. Cars can be given away. Not only the cars you unlocked, but also the cars you have already tuned. You can share racing tips and tracks. During online races you can spectate others and there will be special competitions and also various leader boards keeping track of the best scores.

"There are more than 100 tracks in 20 different locations in GT5." Wtf?
About the X1

The G-forces would be too severe for anyone to sustain for prolonged periods. A modern F1 car produces 4-5 G's when braking and 5G in real mega corners, like Istanbul's Turn 8.

This 'X1' looks like it'll have at least double the forces.

If fighter pilots blackout at 9-10 G's, then driviers would be doing the same on the track. is to dangerous
I hope by locations they mean countries lol
I bet it means Photo mode locations
Quote from Bose321 :That's just... Lemme get the word for it. Hyper realistic and very innovative.

except already a common feature in flight sim like 4 years ago.

I just hope it is not forced.
Quote from JJ72 :except already a common feature in flight sim like 4 years ago.

I just hope it is not forced.

In flight sims you are traveling great distances though, so it's kind of a necessity
Monaco, from RedBull's website

If people say that ain't Monaco, I will call you a retard. Who cares what it's named if it looks like that.
PSP version vs GT5

Quote from Inouva :About the X1

The G-forces would be too severe for anyone to sustain for prolonged periods. A modern F1 car produces 4-5 G's when braking and 5G in real mega corners, like Istanbul's Turn 8.

This 'X1' looks like it'll have at least double the forces.

If fighter pilots blackout at 9-10 G's, then driviers would be doing the same on the track. is to dangerous

With proper G suits, i reckon the F1 drivers could cope with driving that car, you have to remember that they're pulling 5G just now with no G suits at all.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :If people say that ain't Monaco, I will call you a retard. Who cares what it's named if it looks like that.

It ain't monaco, cos it's like twice as wide! more like M-O-N-A-C-O
Quote from DeKo :With proper G suits, i reckon the F1 drivers could cope with driving that car, you have to remember that they're pulling 5G just now with no G suits at all.

I don't think G suit will do, fighter pilots in heavily banked turns are fighting vertical Gs, but F1 drivers in corners face pure laterial G, the neck simply won't coupe with it. well before dedicated training and some freak of nature prove otherwise.
Quote from CoolColJ :It's the same track as the GT4 version which is not what I call a wide track

It's not really that narrow in real life anyway

http://maranellokart.gr/site/i ... o_kart_cup_07/monaco2.jpg

eh....either you have a problem with scale or you are showing me a pic of karts as big as F1 cars.....

you just proved my point, your pic shows a road that can run 5 karts side by side, and look at the GT pic, there is room for at least 5 X1 side by side, so thats really twice as wide.
Quote from JJ72 :I don't think G suit will do, fighter pilots in heavily banked turns are fighting vertical Gs, but F1 drivers in corners face pure laterial G, the neck simply won't coupe with it. well before dedicated training and some freak of nature prove otherwise.

A support could be constructed that would cup the helmet in a turn and support the head. Make it slick so they can still turn the head easily to look through turns. If properly constructed, it wouldn't restrict the view either.

The problem is what's inside the head. Don't even wanna think about what the brain looks like in a lateral 8 G turn.
Quote from JJ72 :eh....either you have a problem with scale or you are showing me a pic of karts as big as F1 cars.....

you just proved my point, your pic shows a road that can run 5 karts side by side, and look at the GT pic, there is room for at least 5 X1 side by side, so thats really twice as wide.

Well here is the licensed Monaco track from F1 2010 - looks the same to me

then check your eyes, in the F1 pic there's no way you can fit two F1 in the inside lane, but in GT5 it easily can.

simple comparison, overlay both pics at the apex, green line is the gt5 boundary and orange is f1's.
Attached images
pare.jpg
I don't think the perspectives/field of view are exactly the same
The GT5 pic looks wider field of view, fish eye looking
Time is running out for their "we'll announce a release date at the end of October"......
Quote from JJ72 :then check your eyes, in the F1 pic there's no way you can fit two F1 in the inside lane, but in GT5 it easily can.

simple comparison, overlay both pics at the apex, green line is the gt5 boundary and orange is f1's.

You're really clutching at straws now. I can't believe you would actually go to the effort of overlaying both of the pictures to prove a point that no one really cares about and most would disagree with. Go outside or something, use your time more wisely.

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG