The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Hmm, I must think of that a little...
What is the standard packet? I need at least 2-4 cars and 2-4 tracks, any suggestions?

Also, I have to learn using cockpit veiw lol
You get some cars and tracks for free with the subscription - http://www.iracing.com/buy-1-get-2/
The MX5 will also be free when it comes out in 1-2 weeks.

To get the most out of it, I would wait until 30th/31st to subscribe.
There's really no reason IMO to buy everything all at once. If you don't plan on doing any oval racing for example, you can leave all that content on the shelves.

It's best to wait until you need content to buy it. There are several tracks and cars I want, but I'm waiting until a series I run in needs them.
Quote from Bean0 :The MX5 will also be free when it comes out in 1-2 weeks.To get the most out of it, I would wait until 30th/31st to subscribe.

Whats the deal with the MX5? I had a go last year (with base content). Is the MX5 going to be included into the basic content?

And say I'd like to have a go at the Jetta - would I be able to buy it and drive it in singleplayer (offline mode?) at Lime Rock and other "basic content" tracks?
Quote from Silverracer :Whats the deal with the MX5? I had a go last year (with base content). Is the MX5 going to be included into the basic content?

And say I'd like to have a go at the Jetta - would I be able to buy it and drive it in singleplayer (offline mode?) at Lime Rock and other "basic content" tracks?

Yes & Yes
Yes, the MX5 is going to be the new rookie car. It comes in both LHD and RHD versions.

Any content you buy you can practice with, as long as you still have a valid subscription.
Thanks guys
Quote from Silverracer :
the Jetta - would I be able to buy it and drive it in singleplayer (offline mode?)

There is no offline mode as such, to drive solo you must be connected to the internet & be a current member. Its not like LFS.

I'm wondering why there is no fun series for the mx5? Surely they dont expect us to run Lime Rock & Laguna over & over. Can someone convince them to expand the rookie shedule?
Quote from anttt69 :There is no offline mode as such, to drive solo you must be connected to the internet & be a current member. Its not like LFS.

I'm wondering why there is no fun series for the mx5? Surely they dont expect us to run Lime Rock & Laguna over & over. Can someone convince them to expand the rookie shedule?

Convince them to make smart scheduling decisions? That would never happen.
Thanks for the info regarding the prices and subscribtions people
Quote from UncleBenny :Convince them to make smart scheduling decisions? That would never happen.

hehe,

Well in all fairness to their reasoning it probably really IS better for "true" rookies that are new to simracing and iRacing in general to be confined to a handful of tracks. I think the idea is for them to be able to focus on keeping the cars on said tracks, rather than learning the intricacies of 10 new tracks right away.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :
I think the idea is for them to be able to focus on keeping the cars on said tracks, rather than learning the intricacies of 10 new tracks right away.

I think they said this somewhere (staff).
As long as they are longing for as much profit, as they can, the people, who are making schedule, are doing it the smart and acceptable way - relatively big changes in S1, almost no changes in S2, then some changes in S3, no changes in S4 etc. etc.
Also i think that once Okayama is out, there will be 3-course Rookie season. Though LRP is shite imo, more variability would be welcome in there, but no more than 3 at the same time.
I've heard of week 13, but I've never been through one. Is it like the 24 heuers du fun? No SR hits? Is it like (gasp) LFS demo servers?
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :
I think the idea is for them to be able to focus on keeping the cars on said tracks, rather than learning the intricacies of 10 new tracks right away.

Ten !!? , Three variations would be nice. Could someone start a petition? .
If your sim racing experience was limited to NFS (yes I see the paradox there), then two is probably sufficient to get you used to a sim... I guess three wouldn't be awful, but you have to look at it from the perspective of a newborn simracer with the desire to get into this stuff. The same track every 2nd weeks is probably pretty reasonable and some sense of familiarity combined with SOME diversity is likely welcome.

That and even though they're out to make some dough, they're probably trying to lighten the initial outlay for anyone not decided, or heck, even not decided if they want to go road or oval (or *gasp* both).
part of the problem is that it's the rookie schedule, lets face it in an ideal world most people would be out of it inside 4 weeks, whats needed is a higher licence mx5 series as well
With the amount of content that is released, surely they could have 4 free tracks (for oval and road) to rotate through during each rookie season.
Quote from Danke :I've heard of week 13, but I've never been through one. Is it like the 24 heuers du fun? No SR hits? Is it like (gasp) LFS demo servers?

Essentially yes. The only official races are the two Rookie series, all the rest is just fun races with no SR/iR implications. I like to check out the hosted sessions during week 13, I remember last season I ended up in an Indy car race at Martinsville that Ron Caps(NHRA) hosted, it was actually a lot of fun. Kind of nerve wracking running side by side with him at a place like that, I didn't want to take him out of his own race haha.
Quote from Danke :I've heard of week 13, but I've never been through one. Is it like the 24 heuers du fun? No SR hits? Is it like (gasp) LFS demo servers?

The most fun thing to do in week 13 is to spectate bottom split Legends races.

lulz will be had.
Quote from MadCat360 :The most fun thing to do in week 13 is to spectate bottom split Legends races.

lulz will be had.

That is the most funny crashfest you will ever see so +1 to you sir.

I'm looking for something more then the spec racer what is a good car to have some fun racing in and a good grid with more then 12 racers?.
Quote from MadCat360 :The most fun thing to do in week 13 is to spectate bottom split Legends races.

lulz will be had.

I saw that mentioned as the favorite activity in the iR forums. I've done a grand total of one oval race so far. Maybe I'll work on my oval license that week and provide some entertainment for the rest of you
Quote from anttt69 :most of us cant view that :doh:

Not missing much.

Quote :Steve Myers wrote:Williams Schedule

Week 1 Road America Full 30
Week 2 Silverstone 30
Week 3 Phillip Island 40
Week 4 Brands Hatch 35
Week 5 Watkins Glen boot 35
Week 6 Road Atlanta 35
Week 7 Mid Ohio 45
Week 8 Laguna Seca 40
Week 9 VIR 30