The online racing simulator
Quote from LFS_Adam :4. Fans who try classify other Fanboys in 3 classes to divert fanboydom away from them selves

That is one I did not missed. I definitely am an LFS fanboy, and in no way am I diverting fanboydom away from myself.

Judging by your comment, you are classified as a 3 if you deny being a fanboy.
I suspect Scawen's set himself an impossible task.

iRacing's Dave K is a qualified engineer, with considerable financial resources, manpower and access to more real world data than anyone else in the consumer sim game. Yet all we've actually seen from him is talk in relation to a more physically based model that would deal better with extreme situations - which probably really just means over the limit driving, bumps and general non-continuities. There's probably only a handful of tyre engineers/material scientists - whatever- on Earth who have the theoretical basis and data to make a good stab at a close theoretical tyre model. That's why everyone uses data and talks of 'dark arts'.

I suspect Scawen would be better off lowering his sights, pushing out another fudged physics as best as he can manage, as everyone always has, and just tweaking it as time goes by and takes his fancy. And people accept it for what it is. They'll continue to complain about this or that aspect of it anyway. If he's really trying to get this 'right', I reckon he'll have nervous breakdown. Assuming that is, that he's not lying on a yacht not having visited the issue once in the last year. Difficult to tell though isn't it.
Quote from Postman Pat :...They'll continue to complain about this or that aspect of it anyway...

Sad, but 100% sure! No matter what!
Quote from legoflamb :That is one I did not missed. I definitely am an LFS fanboy, and in no way am I diverting fanboydom away from myself.

Judging by your comment, you are classified as a 3 if you deny being a fanboy.

Just wanted to tease you (just for fun), without smiley (which is more fun).

Anyway i'm not a 3, i'm no fanboy. But i can't deny, i'm waiting for the patch
and i think it is/was the wrong strategy to hold back other new features
(Scirocco, falling off car parts and crash physics, graphic updates) until the
new tyre physics are finished. :Kick_Can_

But anyway, i concentrate on my real life and my next holiday with my girlfriend
Quote from Ripley :My personal guess to this long delay is that Devs have a sort of "target" (performance wise) that they must reach and meet in the contract they have with VolksWagen...
Until Scirocco isn't perfectly satisfying VW Big Bosses, and until it is not performing as it has to, it won't be released. Of course it must satisfy Dev team, too.
In the meantime, in order to reach this contractual target, tyre physics must be improved, and who knows what else. (Serious) Game developing is not an easy task.

Just take your time Devs!

Forget your train of thought, VW couldn't care less anymore - they got their end of the bargain: that was being able to use a working simulator to have a tournament showcasing their newly launched car at a games expo... That was two years ago, there is no contractual agreement other than the licence to use the virtual representation in a commercial software in effect right now... I even believe Scawen said so himself...
I really think that LFS developers are killing LFS. VWS had been announced on August 2008!

But a new car and a new circuit will not be enough to resuscitate a terminally ill patient.

The best drivers have gone on Iracing or GTR, many are disgusted and still use LFS only thanks to the tournaments organized by passionate users (developers should be ashamed).

The only change useful for the survival of LFS would be the weather (rain) could make interesting cje the usual, boring, known tracks ....

For now, the LFS remains my only driving simulator ... I do not know how long. Then we'll organize a demonstration in front of Scrawen's house!
Lol, that's just messed up, how can developers actuallt destroy a game which they created?

Either way, my 6th sence tells me there are updates coming soon...
Quote from The Very End :Lol, that's just messed up, how can developers actuallt destroy a game which they created?

Either way, my 6th sence tells me there are updates coming soon...

1st Egoism
2nd Incapacity

... my 6th sense told me the same thing on december 2008

P.S. Have You ever seen so few online racers like now in the last 3 years? Me not
True true, I agree that it's slow development now, and the online numbers are not as high as they used to, but there is nothing we can do about that sadly. It's done when it's done.

But, they should reconsider they sillence. Just because someone allways goes to the extremes, that should not lead to complete sillence. Alltho if there were nothing to report, giving an confirmation that things are under it's way would mean a lot more than just beeing sillent.

But hey, I got a beer so no worries in my world
Quote from lysergic :P.S. Have You ever seen so few online racers like now in the last 3 years? Me not

I blame the cruisers, seriously.
Quote from lysergic :The best drivers have gone on Iracing or GTR

Not only the best ones. I haven't touched LFS since I tried Iracing a few weeks ago and I have been quite faithfull to LFS over the past years.
Quote from bbman :...I even believe Scawen said so himself...

Ok, so I must have missed it.
Quote from Joris :Not only the best ones. I haven't touched LFS since I tried Iracing a few weeks ago and I have been quite faithfull to LFS over the past years.

Same here, I've been on LFS like 3 or 4 times for KY250 practices in the past 3 months.
-
(GTR GASS) DELETED by GTR GASS
LFS is Dead.Sorry but it's true.
LFS is really going to need something huge to get me back full time, not that I'm anything special, just sayin'. I still use the auto-x builder (and will until iRacing develops one) but unless we get a massive dynamic track/time/weather update with the new tires, I can't see any way I'll ever race here as much as I did pre-iRacing...

F08 still rules though.
Well, we all know it has been an extraordinary amount of time between patches and the original date of release for the sirocco. It really is testing the patience of the most avid LFS follower and it is completely understandable why so many have left for other sims, but...

I hope that the patch is released really soon, and I hope to god we haven't lost too many great drivers and community members in the wait. If we have, then so be it, but the people who had a big impact on the community over the years will be missed hugely, but as always in life, only when they are gone do we realise how much we needed them...

I think that IF the patch is released soon then LFS will have more activity than at any time in it's history, but I think that some people really have left for good. This is a great shame IMHO, but if Scavier believe that it is a price worth paying, then only time will tell.

I have seen the demise of so many great teams in LFS over the last 2 years and rather than taking pleasure from that, with us being a competing team, I only feel worry for the future. Winning a league without Mercury etc is not the same...

We (SR) have spent so much time and energy playing LFS since it started, and it has taken us 7-8 years to get to the point when we can challenge for the top competitions, but I fear that the competition we strived to beat no longer exist.

As one of the biggest and most active teams, we are feeling the affect of the present situation and you can ask any other established team the same question, and they are also suffering.. We do our best by organising what we can with Kart meets and Leagues with prize money, but the fact is, people are waiting on the patch. When it comes, it will be worth it I am sure. But the wait is getting seriously long IMHO.

I just think we deserve to know an approximate date, like in the next few months, or longer than that?
You'd get more of a response from a brick wall Jason
Quote from jasonmatthews :
I have seen the demise of so many great teams in LFS over the last 2 years and rather than taking pleasure from that, with us being a competing team, I only feel worry for the future. Winning a league without Mercury etc is not the same...

We (SR) have spent so much time and energy playing LFS since it started, and it has taken us 7-8 years to get to the point when we can challenge for the top competitions, but I fear that the competition we strived to beat no longer exist.

Couldn't have said it better. So many teams and comps gone and along with good clean servers with dedicated admins.

Sure the update (if it eventuates) will result in increased numbers, but the good old days of well run leagues, will not return over night. It took years to build up to that level. 1 new car and 1 new track isn't going to be enough the generate interest needed to keep comps afloat.

What perplexes me the most is that in almost 4 years, we haven't seen a single new track. It understandable that it's difficult to add cars if the physics is changing, but AFAIK track development should be relatively independant. I'm yet to see a plausable reason why we haven't seen any. What's the deal? Why not keep the community afloat with a token release of track, rather than let it rott away?

At any rate, if they released track updates, ppl would pay for them, that's for sure.
Quote from Macfox :What perplexes me the most is that in almost 4 years, we haven't seen a single new track. It understandable that it's difficult to add cars if the physics is changing, but AFAIK track development should be relatively independant. I'm yet to see a plausable excuse why we haven't seen any.

maybe they felt that six tracks with 25 different combinations (excluding reverse configurations), excluding drag, and the potentially limitless autocross (aside from the barriers) were enough.
3 were from the original, so 3 tracks in 6-7 years. Surely not. It's been obvious for years, the community wanted more content. It's quite disappointing.

Scawen defends the development approach. No Boss, no deadlines, no community engagement, no pressure. It's done when it's done. That's well and good and I commend him and the others on going it alone, outside the normal game development channels. But there's a time fast approaching (probably now) where people are simply going to write LFS off move to bigger and better sims. How is the treasured development model going continue, without revenue, which is highly dependant on community interest.

One things for sure with business, stalled development = no/little sales = no/little income = less development resources = probably less content.
Quote from bunder9999 :maybe they felt that six tracks with 25 different combinations (excluding reverse configurations), excluding drag, and the potentially limitless autocross (aside from the barriers) were enough.

No offence Bunder, but you could not be more wrong....

EVERY league admin struggles to find combo's each year to run a league with. You can not have a recurring league with the same combos and same physics for year after year. Yes, if the physics changed, the game changes, but the physics haven't changed. This is what we are all waiting for.....

Every year in F1 they change the physics, but also they have 17 tracks to choose from. In LFS, we simply do not have that choice for certain cars.

We can do 5 tracks at most, with different configs (but the same old corners, scenery etc) but after 5 years it does get boring as hell. We have had nothing in the way of content IMHO since I became a S2 member..

I was around LFS since it was first released and the excitement was great, but since I joined (2005) full time, I haven't seen one single new area, just SO6 and SO6R, which lets be honest, is not a new track.

As macfox says, I would love to know why we have had no content whatsoever in the last at least 5 years?

We know scawen and victor have been working hard, but where is the things that are independent of that? These are the same things that the community are more than willing to help with for FREE.

Textures, tracks, interiors = <<<<< This is content

I don't understand, and I have tried hard to, but why content like mentioned above has not been constantly updated is beyond me.

It makes no sense to me when you have so many talented graphic artists and track designers to at least get some interiors and tracks released over such a long period of time.

Then, Scawen could take his time on the engine and the physics without any community moans, as we would not be waiting for 5 years for little things that he doesn't do anyway, but do impact on our gameplay.
Quote from jasonmatthews :No offence Bunder, but you could not be more wrong....

EVERY league admin struggles to find combo's each year to run a league with.

i know, i was just theorizing. hell, rallycross with only 3 tracks doesn't make much of a league.
Quote from jasonmatthews :No offence Bunder, but you could not be more wrong....

EVERY league admin struggles to find combo's each year to run a league with. You can not have a recurring league with the same combos and same physics for year after year. Yes, if the physics changed, the game changes, but the physics haven't changed. This is what we are all waiting for.....

Every year in F1 they change the physics, but also they have 17 tracks to choose from. In LFS, we simply do not have that choice for certain cars.

We can do 5 tracks at most, with different configs (but the same old corners, scenery etc) but after 5 years it does get boring as hell. We have had nothing in the way of content IMHO since I became a S2 member..

I was around LFS since it was first released and the excitement was great, but since I joined (2005) full time, I haven't seen one single new area, just SO6 and SO6R, which lets be honest, is not a new track.

As macfox says, I would love to know why we have had no content whatsoever in the last at least 5 years?

We know scawen and victor have been working hard, but where is the things that are independent of that? These are the same things that the community are more than willing to help with for FREE.

Textures, tracks, interiors = <<<<< This is content

I don't understand, and I have tried hard to, but why content like mentioned above has not been constantly updated is beyond me.

It makes no sense to me when you have so many talented graphic artists and track designers to at least get some interiors and tracks released over such a long period of time.

Then, Scawen could take his time on the engine and the physics without any community moans, as we would not be waiting for 5 years for little things that he doesn't do anyway, but do impact on our gameplay.

Well put.

The point that is most confusing are the tracks and cars the devs refuses to use, even if they are getting it free.

I don't have links or anything, but speaking out of memory :
I think there at least have been 2-3 tracks that freely has been offered to the devs as usage in the game, but they did not want that. The same goes for cars, here aswell there has been offers for even real-life stuff but that aswell got denied.

I can only hope the reason for this is because they simply have too many cars / tracks under development, and don't want to use time on other stuff than what they are working on.
Sure - that would be great, but as you say, it should not take 5 years to get more tracks.

So why is it, that the developers refuses to add free content / tracks etc, when it could really help the community in so many ways, and really hold on to it's users? I don't care one bit for the cars, as I have enough to chose from allready, but the tracks... where are them? Driving AS is borring, SO is borring, WE is borring, KY can be interesting sometimes, BL is borring, FE is borring.. AU - not worth mention..

I play LFS regulary, and I love the game, but I am craving for more tracks
Rockingham should change it TVE, it's the first real track, so there should be some fun. However, one track is not enough for some people. But you know, track development takes time.
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4434 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG