The online racing simulator
Tuned: 1'38.219
Stock: 1'50.747
3'28.966 overall

Edit:
Just done 4 laps with the Tuned car using a joypad (sixaxis, using L2 & R2 for brake & throttle) and its not as bad as i expected it to be. Its got + points and - points.
+ FAR easier to correct a mistake/slide (because you can opposite lock in a millisecond)
- FAR easier to lose proper control over it and get the wibble wobbles in easy sections just trying to find a suitable turning degree.

Best time was 1'41.036, however the following lap i was +1.004 down the backstraight and finished +0.2 (far closer the sector in the middle) so a sub 100sec lap is definately doable. Im sure i could have got there within 10 laps.
Though ive found my lines using a wheel, the trick now is getting on them and staying on them, but at times it feels like im getting away with things i'd never get away with with the wheel. Doubt its the case, probably the faster opposite lock reactions.
Just finished Downloading GT5 time trial as known in N.A. With G25 at hand, will GT meat my expectations? Or will it become my next new sim?
That was disgusting

I can't even believe they're serious right now

Now more than ever I'm pissed that my xbox has rrod

The overbearing absolute shit traction control logic just makes me want to throw my controller through the tv. Forza 3 (and 2 lol) handles everything they just put out better than gt5 does. Right now this game deserves no higher than an 8/10.

I can't even really form a logical argument against it right now other than it sucks balls
Well it's definitely not my new sim.

My GT5 experience (in the stock car): The force feedback is much better than GT5P. However, the steering ratio seems very small, or close to 1. Steering the car only takes about 180 deg (90 deg one way) with a wheel set to 900 deg. It's like driving the XRT with 720 deg lock to lock and 36 deg of wheel turn. that is a 10:1 steering ratio. The Nissan has a 13.5:1 steering ratio, and 2.7 (1152 deg) turns lock to lock. Not realistic in that aspect.

The sounds are manageable. However, the tire squeals come in a bit too early. Finding the edge of traction is a bit difficult because the tires are already squealing loudly before the edge has been reached. Sound is the only way to make any inferences on the traction, since it is expensive to feel the Gs at home.

As for the grip, I can't compare it to real life. My opinion of the grip is that it is no good on the brakes. It feels like it is conditional like it always has in the previous incarnations of GT. The car does not get unsettled at all while on the brakes which makes the car under-steer no mater how sloppy I broke into the corners (that I have real experience with). I have never experienced 300+ bhp so I don't know if a car would burnout like it does in second gear while at speed. The car needs to be tamed on the exits or excessive wheel-spin/over-steer will ruin the exit speed.

Overall, I think PD is making progress on the GT series. Whether they get it right, or closer to right, by GT5 remains to be seen. In my opinion, they are not pandering to a lesser skilled audience with the simulation physics so far. I'd say they are going in the right direction.

On another note, I am set on getting those tickets to whatever race that they are giving away to North Americans. With a 1'49.715 in about 45 min in the stock version, I think I can get those tickets by the time they are given to the winner. Especially since winter vacation has begun for me after taking my last final today.
1'49.403 stock ranked 5th. People are obviously less talented in the north American region. But my rank will probably drop by the end of this weekend. Damn holidays.

Edit:
I left a lot of points out of my previous post. There are more faults and non-faults that I don't care to mention. I also haven't driven the tuned car yet.
Quote from Furiously-Fast :1.36.6 in the Tuned car? wtfhaxlol.

check the guy from Australia: 1 [url="http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:void%280%29"]GTP_DHolland[/url] 1'35.860 [url]http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/academy/2010/ranking/?board=1&area=73[/url]
I am a bit crappy with it, my best time in the normo car is 1:55
So is it any good, because i still have to download it.
Quote from G!NhO :So is it any good, because i still have to download it.

Did you try reading the posts in this thread? It would help you to answer your question... seriously.

Or you could just go and download it and form your own opinion, just an idea.
I don't have my ps3 here, so...

Can't be bothered to read walls of text tbh.
I can't be bothered reading your post either. Is it any good?
Quote from Dajmin :I can't be bothered reading your post either. Is it any good?

no
The demo is bad, but don't let that put you off. It is very limited and has like half a year to go. The physics is good and the game runs at 60fps.

I noticed in the replays the problems start to surface. Alot. The replays run at 30 or so fps, the track textures and shadows can be horrible at times. Still, they have alot of time to fix it.
Quote from spanks :That was disgusting

I can't even believe they're serious right now

Now more than ever I'm pissed that my xbox has rrod

The overbearing absolute shit traction control logic just makes me want to throw my controller through the tv. Forza 3 (and 2 lol) handles everything they just put out better than gt5 does. Right now this game deserves no higher than an 8/10.

I can't even really form a logical argument against it right now other than it sucks balls

How, how can anyone post this s*it? First of all, games like GT should not be played with a controller, second, physics are just awesome, i really have no idea what some of you are talking about. They outdone themselves, i'm really impressed.

Anyway, 1'38:267 with the tuned so far..
It sucks... so bad.

Something just seems horribly wrong with this game.
See what I mean. Some people are in love, others can't believe how bad it is.

Is it easy to drive to within, say, 5 seconds of "the limit"? If it isn't, then there's a good chance it's unrealistic.

Note that "the limit" may be a lot slower than alien times, because they aren't driving in a realistic manner most of the time.
Quote from brandons48 :It sucks... so bad.

Something just seems horribly wrong with this game.

There is something wrong. PD made the demo so crap so they are giving players the wrong idea of what the full game would be. I know there is a great racing game hidden in this demo, but what they have given us is a huge disappointment.

Gonna try and see if I can get a faster lap time. 1.42 and 1.55 are quite.... slow.
Quote from Furiously-Fast :
Gonna try and see if I can get a faster lap time. 1.42 and 1.55 are quite.... slow.

People on the top 5 with 1:36's seem to be dedicated GT players, with names like "GTRACER_Bob" etc.

Most likely to be alien times. 1:40's seem to be the realistic limit.
Keeping these cars on track is one hard task to do. The screeching sounds of the N3's are going to do my head in!! :bitehard:
I think the demo is pretty damn good, the cars are great fun to drive, the track is really nice, The stock car is hard to keep in line but its fun to battle with, lol.. Im using a G25 but I cant really set a good time, I will try and set one soon and post it up
Quote from tristancliffe :
Is it easy to drive to within, say, 5 seconds of "the limit"? If it isn't, then there's a good chance it's unrealistic.

It's easy. Well, easy enough. I'm by no means a fast driver in video games, because i am someone who does rely on car feedback a lot in real life, so in games i kind of have to force myself to start driving "with my head", rather than concentrating on car feedback mostly (which is missing in a game, expect for sound and force feedback). I still manage easily to get into that 5 seconds range in the GT5 demo.

The physics are actually quite ok when you're racing. They feel a lot better than GT5P did. It's only when you start spinning and try to recover when you notice there's something terribly wrong (again, much like Rfactor or NFS Shift). That's where the game becomes unrealistic, other then that, i can see why people like it so much.

You have a really good point anyway, the way we compensate for the lack of an actual car around us and the forces involved, is indeed pretty individual. For me force feedback is the most important, and if that isn't good, then i can't drive, or at least it'll feel very awkward, which is the case in GT5 for me (again, within the car limits it's fine).

Quote from Furiously-Fast :Keeping these cars on track is one hard task to do.

And that's exaclty where i see the problem. It shouldn't be that hard.
Quote from tristancliffe :See what I mean. Some people are in love, others can't believe how bad it is.

Note that "the limit" may be a lot slower than alien times, because they aren't driving in a realistic manner most of the time.

Of course, just like in LFS for example, it's relatively easy to be within 5, 6 seconds within WR, but it's a struggle to go under 2 seconds.. I'm curently 1.5 seconds off the UK top time..
Boris, you're such an ignorant fanboy, it's pathetic.
Quote from BlueFlame :Boris, you're such an ignorant fanboy, it's pathetic.

He loves his Gran Turismo for sure, but i wouldn't quite label him a fanboy. Dustin is a better example for that matter.

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG