The online racing simulator
Now this is what i call modelling

Some more ingame footage (and a release date!!!) wouldn't go amiss, its always tough to judge from stuff like this, you never know with PD if its pre-rendered or not.
Well TGS is in two days, and we will probably have the release date.. and AMG SLS having a full presentation there aswell
That top pic there must be a render. I really doubt that you could get a full field of cars with that much detail - the RSX isn't completely unstoppable y'know

And danowat, Little Big Planet has water now! It's a level-wide feature though so you can't make self-contained pools, but it's still cool. Although it might be still be a beta feature, so if it is you didn't hear nothing. Especially not about the way you doggy-paddle along the surface
Quote from Dajmin :That top pic there must be a render. I really doubt that you could get a full field of cars with that much detail

Yea i'm doubting that too..
But then again, just found these Prologue pictures, this is all in-engine, the only difference i think is that there is more AA compared to in-game..

In-engine maybe, but definitely Photo Mode rather than full racing mode. I'm sure even a couple of top-end SLI cards couldn't push round a full field with all that AA and that kind of detail on each one.

That bottom one, on the other hand, is a game view. Slightly saturated colour, less defined lower-fidelity reflections, obvious poly edges along the wheel arch.

I guess time will tell though. I'll hold my hands up and bow to their amazing graphics engine if they have managed to get that sort of thing in a playable form
Quote from Dajmin :I'm sure even a couple of top-end SLI cards couldn't push round a full field with all that AA and that kind of detail on each one.

Don't underestimate teh CellZ I can't wait to see how the Ring looks like..
Bah, Cell is a CPU, the GPU is RSX. Fair enough it's specially designed for the processor, but still. I've seen the RSX stats and overall it's not that impressive in terms of power. But I guess it all depends what all they can offload to a random core, since no bugger seems to know exactly what it'll do
That tribute is amazing. At 1:07, I'm surprised that wasn't real life!
Quote from Dajmin :Bah, Cell is a CPU, the GPU is RSX. Fair enough it's specially designed for the processor, but still. I've seen the RSX stats and overall it's not that impressive in terms of power. But I guess it all depends what all they can offload to a random core, since no bugger seems to know exactly what it'll do

What i'm saying is that on PS3, Cell does most of the graphic stuff.. so while RSX may not be anything special by itself, in combination with Cell it's pretty amazing..
The modelling is just breath-taking!! Looking forward to a release date so I can start crossing off the days
I wish GT5 had slightly more detailed physics...

Meh, it'll be fun anyway! Looking good, real good!
Anyone mind telling me the name of the song in that tribute?
Quote from DevilDare :Anyone mind telling me the name of the song in that tribute?

Just one second - London Elektricity (Apex Remix)

Nice video, the game looks great!
I'd like to see the wireframe of those cars, want to know how much work is done using shaders, normal maps and the like
Quote from jibber :I wish GT5 had slightly more detailed physics...

Well we can hope they are better then Prologue, it's impossible they haven't touched physics for two years..
Quote from Boris Lozac :What i'm saying is that on PS3, Cell does most of the graphic stuff.. so while RSX may not be anything special by itself, in combination with Cell it's pretty amazing..

And me wondering why a PC hasn't got such a CPU, with GPU's like now, to make it even more epic.
Would it be stupid to buy the PS3 just for GT5?

Knowing full well that it probably won't hold my interest from a SIM perspective and will end up just sitting around unplayed.

I'll wait for the physics bug youtube videos to talk my out of it but damn it just LOOKS so good!
PC's do have such a CPU, quad core CPUs are nothing new, the Cell is either 8 cell with 1 redundant for backup incase on dies it can use the 'spare' or 7 using 6 cores... eitherway its just a multicore setup.

The main difference is the PS3s games takes advantage of a multicore system because it unequivocally knows what its dealing with. EVERY PS3 has the same hardware, which is wildly different to PC systems, theres so many possible setups and they cater to a wide market rather than being fully focused on whats best for 1.
What has proved successful on many of the best looking and most popular titles has been acheived when the developers have assigned each core a specific task, rather than having all of them doing all the jobs at once. Physics, Audio, AI... each assigned to a core, and then brought together, rather than lots of data being passed between cores for calculations.

Until every PC has similar components, theres always going to be a diverse market to develope for, and as is the main issue with the 360, the lowest common denominator is what they're limited to. If someone out there has no HDD drive, they cant release a 360 game that depends on the user dumping any content to the HDD. Because the new Forza comes on multiple discs, any user driving a car from disc 2 online will appear on some peoples game as driving a generic model because their system doesnt have disc 2's data, only whats in the disc drive.
They had to compromise the ideal solution (key data on the disc or HDD) because they cant get all the data onto 1 DVD and cannot guarantee every user has a HDD in there.
PCs are the same, and as such they're limited to that. Sometimes its nice having the best hardware money can buy, but if everything else is holding you back... what good is it?
Likewise the problem with the PS3s structure is that most game developers are familiar with the PC structure, which the 360 follows (it'd be stupid not to when its a microsoft product and you influence a significant share of the market), but because the PS3 goes a more logical way which works better for a unique model, rather than a wide range it doesnt need to cater to. The problem is it isnt the PC route developers know, so they whine and moan a bit, completely ignoring the fact that never in the history of console gaming has it really been any different. The xbox is a mini-PC, that made their life easier, nothing else changed... except the developers now have an lazy attitude to learning now they have the option of not having to.

PC's can do the above no problem, but with so many variations, compromises have to be made, and that means lowering the benchmark to allow it.
I'll buy the ps3 for gt5, sexy new slim one too

By then i'll probably have built up an impressive bluray collection ;D
Quote from Mattesa :Would it be stupid to buy the PS3 just for GT5?

Knowing full well that it probably won't hold my interest from a SIM perspective and will end up just sitting around unplayed.

I'll wait for the physics bug youtube videos to talk my out of it but damn it just LOOKS so good!

Yes it'd be stupid, very stupid!

Buying it for GT5, God of War, Uncharted, Killzone... BluRay & other media capabilities isnt stupid
Quote from Mattesa :Would it be stupid to buy the PS3 just for GT5?

Well... no It may not have the best physics out there, but i'm sure it will be "good enough".. I just drool about Nurburgring and these 1000 cars, just me and the track That's all i did in GT4.
But the PS3 has some and will have some really epic games.. so it wouldn't be "just" for GT5
st00pid double post refresh :P
Quote from lukelfs :Just one second - London Elektricity (Apex Remix)

Nice video, the game looks great!

Thanks. Appreciated

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG