The online racing simulator
Hehe. Yes. Back on to the topic of this thread.

=) Great arguments guys. I can see it from both sides, though I do believe the ball is in the PS3's court at the current moment, only time will tell if it will come up with anything fantastic.

I preordered GT5 today after getting my PS3 copy of Batman: Arkham Asylum. Can't wait to play as the joker!

=) And also preorder OPF: Dragon Rising.

It'll be epic.

^_^ GT5 ftw!
The latest interview, with an italian gaming website, has been translated into English on the GTPlanet website.

MultiPlayer: GT5 Release?

KY: ”The game is still under development but its release is not too far, it will be after the PSP GT release and, very probably, it will be a simultaneous world release”

MultiPlayer:What about the game features that were published on the official japanese site, 1000 cars, 80

tracks and YouTube download?

KY: ”We would like to wait to publish them, but what you read on the site is true.”

MultiPlayer: Is there something new in the single player mode

KY: ”If you look at the PSP version, you’ll see that the game is very different from the previous Gran Turismo versions. The 5th episode will have many similar features to the PSP version”

MultiPlayer: How the damages will influence the gameplay?

KY: ”The damages are not only visible, they will affect the driving style.
It depends on the player, some players will like it, others will not”

MultiPlayer: Will we have Nascar and WRC championships in the game or just the cars?

KY: ”There will be real Nascar races

in the game. Nascar had necessary to be included
in the game. Regarding WRC championship we have been trying to add it to series since long ago. Now we got it.”

At the end KY confirmed 1080p and 60 fps.

I find this part most exciting -
”There will be real Nascar races
in the game. Regarding WRC championship we have been trying to add it to series since long ago. Now we got it.”

Proper Nascar races and a WRC championship!!
Quote from Gills4life :
I find this part most exciting -
”There will be real Nascar races

Proper Nascar races and a WRC championship!!

And GT4 was supposed to be online, and then it had NOS instead.

I stopped believing in what they tell us about the game. Most of it is just empty promises. I just hope they won't ruin the physics in the final product, then i'll be happy.
Quote from jibber :And GT4 was supposed to be online, and then it had NOS instead.

I stopped believing in what they tell us about the game. Most of it is just empty promises. I just hope they won't ruin the physics in the final product, then i'll be happy.

Well lets see what they deliver before critisising them eh?

Atleast now with the Playstation Network, games can be patched and updated just like PC games, so I guess even if Polyphony do not nail it on release, all is not lost!

I am confident it will be superb either way. Clearly a lot of work has gone into it.
o.O i don't remember there being any NOS in GT4......

> > And hopefully they mean 43 car nascar races... XD
Quote from Arsenic_Fox :o.O i don't remember there being any NOS in GT4......

> > And hopefully they mean 43 car nascar races... XD

I don't care about that! A world rally championship... now that's what I'm talking about!
Quote from Gills4life :I don't care about that! A world rally championship... now that's what I'm talking about!

It seems kinda iffy, i mean, there's a new licensed WRC game coming out, can they both have the licence? And besides, i kinda don't want WRC in there, it will probably be mediocre, i mean, don't mix them, it's the same thing that i never wanted that LFS rally pack.. it probably wouldn't be on par with "normal" LFS..
I'm looking forward to the rally part. One of the things they got more or less right in GT games was the rally part (physics on gravel).
how about LFS selling its physics engine to Polyphony for like 99999999999 $

LFS devs happy
we very happy
Quote from Fastwalker :how about LFS selling its physics engine to Polyphony for like 99999999999 $

LFS devs happy
we very happy

Wouldn't be possible. As of now, consoles are not powerful to run something like LFS. They wouldn't be able to handle all of the physics calculations.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Wouldn't be possible. As of now, consoles are not powerful to run something like LFS. They wouldn't be able to handle all of the physics calculations.

lol, don't be silly. You are telling me AMD athlon 2500+ (my ex CPU) is better and faster then Cell
Quote from Boris Lozac :lol, don't be silly. You are telling me AMD athlon 2500+ (my ex CPU) is better and faster then Cell

I dont think you understand my point. The sheer ammount of physics calculations that are going on in LFS is phenominal. Things like tyre flex, suspension geometry readings and deformable damage (By this, i mean the way the actual suspension bends when the car is serverely damaged. Not the eye candy part) is something which consoles cannot handle. Even though the PS3/Xbox 360's CPU's are both around 3GHz (which is more than enough to play LFS on a desktop computer), they just wouldn't be able to handle something like LFS. There CPU's are completely different to a Computer.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Wouldn't be possible. As of now, consoles are not powerful to run something like LFS. They wouldn't be able to handle all of the physics calculations.

Total rubbish, of course they can.

Forza 3 has full tyre deformation and flex & proper tyre physics
Quote from Wikipedia :The PlayStation 3 uses the Sony, Toshiba, IBM-designed Cell microprocessor as its CPU, which is made up of one 3.2 GHz PowerPC-based "Power Processing Element" (PPE) and eight Synergistic Processing Elements (SPEs).[110] The eighth SPE is disabled to improve chip yields.[111][112] Only six of the seven SPEs are accessible to developers as the seventh SPE is reserved by the console's operating system.[112]

You know the cell chip houses 8 processors plus a seperate PPE, right? Its 3.2Ghz PPE just manages the whole cell. Fair enough, one core is reserved for the OS, and another is disabled by the factory. That still leaves 6 processors to do whatever you like with, and as far as I know all threading is done automagically by the PPE in its "managing". Basically meaning a single-threaded game like LFS could theoretically run across all 6 cores without even needing to be rewritten for a multi-core CPU, if I understand it right (Scawen said before that rewriting LFS to run across multiple cores could take as long as a year). I'm not sure at all on this, but LFS may have to be rewritten for PPC though. I've never worked with PPC, so I'm not sure

Seeing as you're neither a PS3 developer or an LFS developer, could you please explain where you have the inside knowledge that "a PS3 isn't powerful enough to run LFS", given that LFS runs happily on PCs with a quarter of the processing power the PS3 has? The "only" thing that may let the PS3 down is its GPU, it's still based on a 7800GTX. This GPU is still more than sufficient for LFS though, and even for outputting full PS3 games in 1080p glory. Just look at Killzone 2 or Uncharted

Sorry if it looks like I'm having a go at you, I'm really not. Just hate people putting down the PS3 for no particularly founded reason, especially when they have no experience of developing on the hardware
Well, first.. LFS would need to be rewritten in OpenGL for graphics, and on top of that some custom code for sound and input handling (as DirectX provides DirectInput and DirectSound to aide in that). I don't much think it'd haffto be rewritten for PowerPC though, just recompiled (with some tweaks).
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Well, first.. LFS would need to be rewritten in OpenGL for graphics, and on top of that some custom code for sound and input handling (as DirectX provides DirectInput and DirectSound to aide in that). I don't much think it'd haffto be rewritten for PowerPC though, just recompiled (with some tweaks).

Offcourse it would have to be rewritten, cause the arhitecture is totally different, but saying it couldn't handle LFS, roflmao!. Cell wiped the floor with the best Quad Core's in pure processing power..
Quote from danowat :Total rubbish, of course they can.

Forza 3 has full tyre deformation and flex & proper tyre physics

Obviously, it would be hard to say atm, so i wouldn't be able to say whether which one is more advanced etc.

Quote from dougie-lampkin :You know the cell chip houses 8 processors plus a seperate PPE, right? Its 3.2Ghz PPE just manages the whole cell. Fair enough, one core is reserved for the OS, and another is disabled by the factory. That still leaves 6 processors to do whatever you like with, and as far as I know all threading is done automagically by the PPE in its "managing". Basically meaning a single-threaded game like LFS could theoretically run across all 6 cores without even needing to be rewritten for a multi-core CPU, if I understand it right (Scawen said before that rewriting LFS to run across multiple cores could take as long as a year). I'm not sure at all on this, but LFS may have to be rewritten for PPC though. I've never worked with PPC, so I'm not sure

Seeing as you're neither a PS3 developer or an LFS developer, could you please explain where you have the inside knowledge that "a PS3 isn't powerful enough to run LFS", given that LFS runs happily on PCs with a quarter of the processing power the PS3 has? The "only" thing that may let the PS3 down is its GPU, it's still based on a 7800GTX. This GPU is still more than sufficient for LFS though, and even for outputting full PS3 games in 1080p glory. Just look at Killzone 2 or Uncharted

Sorry if it looks like I'm having a go at you, I'm really not. Just hate people putting down the PS3 for no particularly founded reason, especially when they have no experience of developing on the hardware

Wait, when was i putting the PS3 down? If you read my post again, i also said that the 360 wouldn't be able to run it either, as both are similary specced. I still dont think consoles would be powerful enough to run LFS, even if you did get everything re-written. Whats the point in this conversation anyway? Its not like its EVER going to happen.
FFS, you just keep digging yourself even more... You just have no idea what you're talking about, don't you.. PS3 Cpu and X360 Cpu similiraly specced?? Of course they can fu*king handle LFS, both of them.. and we're having this conversation because you started saying complete nonsense
Are you sure it'd haffto be rewritten? It would to just deal with the PS3's GPU and such, but not completely rewritten. PowerPC and x86 are different, but there's this thing called GCC (or other compilers) that do a good job of making things work on both. How else would Universal Binaries on OSX work if it couldn't?

There's a lot of things that can be compiled for things from ARM up to a 64-bit processor Intel or PowerPC all from the same code. All that needs to match is how it interfaces with the hardware, which is why operating systems make life easier as it provides a rather consistent interface for dealing with a diverse range of hardware supported with either support in the kernel, device drivers, or extensions for the kernel.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Obviously, it would be hard to say atm, so i wouldn't be able to say whether which one is more advanced etc.

Wait, when was i putting the PS3 down? If you read my post again, i also said that the 360 wouldn't be able to run it either, as both are similary specced. I still dont think consoles would be powerful enough to run LFS, even if you did get everything re-written. Whats the point in this conversation anyway? Its not like its EVER going to happen.

.... > > .... ............

o.o you know.....

now your going to make someone want to try...

plus the fact that the G25 works on the PS3 also sort of adds an incentive... > >

(also..... here's a nice little chart)

This is folding@home. This is how much the ps3 does compared to other Operating systems

TFLOPS Active CPUs Total CPUs
Windows 152 160,173 1,626,609
Mac/PPC 7 8,776 95,435
Mac/Intel 9 2,864 7,400
Linux 43 25,239 216,067
GPU 43 733 2,228
PS3 659 26,911 29,843

This graph shows something i barely understand, probably something involving the amount of teraflops compared to a Graphics Processing Unit, the PS3, and conventional top of the line general purpose cpus (such as quad-cores)

And this is based on the technology out 2 years ago.... (mind you, most people run LFS on computers from about 2-5 years ago, sometimes even more!) Mine is about 2 years old, and it runs LFS using an AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core pretty easily.

(based on the newest CPU and GPU as of March 23, 2007)

Intel Core Duo 1x
PS3 7.8x faster
GPU 18.6x faster

So... > > as you can see.... even with the 7800gtx GPU (which is actually pretty good compared to MY graphics card, imho), you could actually achieve more with the PS3 than you could a normal computer for a game such as LFS.

> > That added with the amazing G25 could lead to an amazing new audience to spread! =) (and you could make there be a way to release mods even through easy PS3 installers)

Not that it would happen... o.o but still...would be pretty cool in theory. Even MOAR physics calculations XD

Now, the next thing would be that most of the graphics "post-processing" and such would have to be coded directly into the cell-cpus, but that wouldn't be so much of a problem as LFS barely has any to begin with. =)

The hardest thing about coding with the PS3 though is the fact that the 6 usable processors are asymmetrical, making it a bit difficult to code for. But, for the most part, the PS3 could CERTAINLY handle Live for Speed.

The 360 could handle LFS, and possibly even match the PS3 version to an extent. Graphically it would be easier to code for, but the fact remains that it uses 3, less powerful, but symmetric processors, which again, are easier to code for (which is why it also has more games =/).

To be honest, if the game had an architecture that could be easily transcribed over to the PS3, it could actually preform better (if programmed right) than the current PC version.

But again, this is all theory. PS3 is more powerful than most computers and the 360, but again its that damn 7800GTX that bottlenecks the PS3 on most "next gen" games =(

^_^ I personally would just like a copy of LFS i could carry around easier XD than dragging my PC everywhere..... (which is more expensive now, due to the PS3's new 300 dollar price tag)

Personally, I'd love to see the PS3 get a copy of LFS. =) but that's just me XD

(PS: I do understand that graph, just i can't really.. explain it... without sounding like a dumbass XD)
Also, i found this nice bit of info... Kinda funny when you think about it
Quote :
According to Killzone 2 devs, the PS3 is easier to develop for than the 10 year old PS2. Herman Hulst, managing director of Guerrilla Games had this to say about developing for PS3.

“If you are native to PlayStation, our tech director doesn’t say it’s particularly difficult. It’s specific, but it’s not difficult like PS2 was difficult - PS2 was difficult to crack, but PS3 didn’t take us a long time to get up and running.”

Hulst concluded that multiplatform developers could have more issues because the PlayStation 3 “is very different” from other consoles. Though that’s not all, as another Guerrilla Games employee, developer director Arjan Brussee, added:

“I actually think PS3 is a simpler architecture than some of the other consoles; you just have to have a certain mindset on how to address it. I think the Cell-based processor with the SPUs and the super high speed DSPs that you can throw all your calculation tasks at gives us a model that’s way easier to program for, even for junior programmers, than the general purpose multi-core type of architecture, which the PC and Xbox 360 have.”

It has been said hat GT5 will have head-tracking abilities just by using PS Eye camera, without any aditional things you have to put on your head, like TrackIR.

Just saw this video, so i'm guessing that's the explanation how, bloody amazing technology in those 30$..

http://www.diginfo.tv/2009/09/10/09-0272-r-en.php
Quote from Boris Lozac :It has been said hat GT5 will have head-tracking abilities just by using PS Eye camera, without any aditional things you have to put on your head, like TrackIR.

Just saw this video, so i'm guessing that's the explanation how, bloody amazing technology in those 30$..

http://www.diginfo.tv/2009/09/10/09-0272-r-en.php

yea that is pretty amazing! thanks for sharing.
Lookin nice, thats for sure

Q4 2009 (hopefully) is looking like being a top year for racing games, my PS3 is sitting there pining for something to play!!!!

Gran Turismo 5
(7732 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG