The online racing simulator
Swine Flu
(478 posts, started )
Swine Flu
is that for everyone down there?

blas was saying something about his uni not knowing/telling about classes.
no classes in my city, told by the goverment since the flu already hit town ... dont know about blas, but i think that his city too is in the same situation as mine.
-
(dan12s) DELETED by dan12s
Is swine flu somekinda disease?

Tryed to read that stuff but ... didnt make it. Had to go pee and then i forgot what i read before.
Quote from dan12s :Lucky person!
Apparently we are gunna get it here (i think thats what they said on the news)
Dan

Firstly, he is not a lucky person, if what they are saying is true, that this virus having mutated to one that can be spread from person to person, rather than animal to person like bird flu, then this could potentially be serious.

The chances are we have it here already, a BA cabin crew was tested recently, and there are people in Scotland and Northamptonshire being tested.

Whilst it's certainly not worth whipping everyone up into a frenzy, which the media will do, it's certainly worth being vigilant.
Its just going to be another SARS "epidemic"

OH MY GOD THE WORLD IS ENDING

and in 6 months everyones forgotten about it.
In all probability, yes, just like SARS and avarian flu, however, it still pays to be vigilant about these things, and there is certainly a threat to world health, because the WHO are seemingly quite concerned about the aggresive natural of this new, mutated strain.
Hmm, let's hope it ain't going global. IMO - canot we just nuke Mexico to prevent it from spreading?
Neverthless, too bad if it comes to Norway, since there is no medicine aviable here, but then again, Norway is just a little dot on the world up there in north, not likely anything will botter to reach us.
You lot up there are immune to anything, I think its partly due to your HUGE intake of alcohol and the cold.
The general public are stupid. Since SARS and avian flu didn't turn out to be as bad as people first predicted it is now making them feel more complacent, they're thinking "oh, this is just a lot of hype about nothing again". This is a dangerous mindset because everything that we're seeing so far (the number of cases in Mexico, the spread to other countries etc) means it really needs to be treated with the tightest precautions. The fact that the Mexican government has thought to stop so many public services and public congregations goes to show how strongly they feel this could turn into a very serious problem very quickly. Let's hope that this cautious approach from government(s) will stop the spread quickly. Of course, if the spread is stopped quickly and the number of cases does die down people will think they were right to be complacent, citing the fact it didn't spread as predicted. We need to see how it develops, but better safe than sorry.

Quote from The Very End :Norway is just a little dot on the world up there in north, not likely anything will botter to reach us.

It could only take one Norwegian member of public to be on an 'infected' plane out of Mexico to spread it to his/her immediate friends and family then it could go out to hundreds or thousands of people over time. With the increase in global air travel the world is a much smaller place and none of it is safe from this type of infection (or, even worse, from an engineered virus being released).
Quote from hazaky :Is swine flu somekinda disease?

Tryed to read that stuff but ... didnt make it. Had to go pee and then i forgot what i read before.

it's a flu mutation with elements of Bird Flu, Human Flu and Swine Flu

the same sort of thing happened with SARS, then Bird Flu, and there's no reason why Swine Flu shouldn't be any different. Just another 'we're all gonna die' story that'll disappear in a few days after the authorities have quarantined everybody who entered the country from Mexico
Quote from danowat :You lot up there are immune to anything, I think its partly due to your HUGE intake of alcohol and the cold.

Yepp, the only way to do die for a Norwegian is either beeing murdered or drinked to death.

Quote from amp88 :The general public are stupid. Since SARS and avian flu didn't turn out to be as bad as people first predicted it is now making them feel more complacent, they're thinking "oh, this is just a lot of hype about nothing again". This is a dangerous mindset because everything that we're seeing so far (the number of cases in Mexico, the spread to other countries etc) means it really needs to be treated with the tightest precautions. The fact that the Mexican government has thought to stop so many public services and public congregations goes to show how strongly they feel this could turn into a very serious problem very quickly. Let's hope that this cautious approach from government(s) will stop the spread quickly. Of course, if the spread is stopped quickly and the number of cases does die down people will think they were right to be complacent, citing the fact it didn't spread as predicted. We need to see how it develops, but better safe than sorry.

It could only take one Norwegian member of public to be on an 'infected' plane out of Mexico to spread it to his/her immediate friends and family then it could go out to hundreds or thousands of people over time. With the increase in global air travel the world is a much smaller place and none of it is safe from this type of infection (or, even worse, from an engineered virus being released).

I understand your concern, and I don't say we shal not totally ignore it. But I don't think we should overhype the whole thing either. If this thing comes to Norway, sure, I'll start to use face binds when outdoor, but til it's proven it actually has reached my country I don't care that much. What makes it interesting tho is the part that it spreads from human to human. Probally whole Mexico will be infected soon, since it looks like there ain't many of the inhabitants there who uses mouth folds, even if they are asked.

So don't get me wrong, we need to hold an eye on this, but I still think it's kind of overhyped. Of the 1000 confirmed infected people 80 has died (statestic from some days ago) , witch tells the death ratio is below 10%. A normal flue probally has 5%+-, so so far it seems to be the normal old,baby and people with weak immune system that should be affraight.
Quote from The Very End :Yepp, the only way to do die for a Norwegian is either beeing murdered or drinked to death.

Isn't suicide high over there too?

Wasn't the statistic for "normal" flu high?, isn't it like 36'000 deaths each year in the USA alone?
Yeah, the emo hype has reached Norway too. Too bad for us the people here are so retarded they do the razor-move right, so they die of it.
Bloody idiots lol.
I hate the trend in recent years of media and politicians constantly trying to scare the shit out of people with illnesses.

From what I gather, the swine flu is about as dangerous as any other flu (except the spanish flu, of course). meaning that unless you're a toddler or old or have a severely damaged immune system, it won't be dangerous.

In Austria, more than 1000 people die per year of the ordinary flu, but noone gives a crap because that's how it always was and always will be. But if there are 80 (in words: eighty) people dying in a country where a big part of the population hasn't access to high quality medical help and lives in hygenically questionable surroundings, panic's ensued.

And another related rant: don't get the flu vaccine. It's useless, as the flu virus mutates so fast that it only helps against strains which are obsolete anyway.
Quote from ColeusRattus :And another related rant: don't get the flu vaccine. It's useless, as the flu virus mutates so fast that it only helps against strains which are obsolete anyway.

I am not convinced about that, I get a flu vaccine every year, because I am diabetic, I have had flu once in the past, and was VERY ill, was in hospital, so to me, a jab every year to lessen the chance of getting one strain is well worth it.
Quote from ColeusRattus :I hate the trend in recent years of media and politicians constantly trying to scare the shit out of people with illnesses.

From what I gather, the swine flu is about as dangerous as any other flu (except the spanish flu, of course). meaning that unless you're a toddler or old or have a severely damaged immune system, it won't be dangerous.

In Austria, more than 1000 people die per year of the ordinary flu, but noone gives a crap because that's how it always was and always will be. But if there are 80 (in words: eighty) people dying in a country where a big part of the population hasn't access to high quality medical help and lives in hygenically questionable surroundings, panic's ensued.

And another related rant: don't get the flu vaccine. It's useless, as the flu virus mutates so fast that it only helps against strains which are obsolete anyway.

Thumbs up for that reply.

Quote from danowat :I am not convinced about that, I get a flu vaccine every year, because I am diabetic, I have had flu once in the past, and was VERY ill, was in hospital, so to me, a jab every year to lessen the chance of getting one strain is well worth it.

Sometimes taking medicine just does the opisit of what it should do. You get a weaker immune system if you take medicine every time your body ain't feeling good, the best way is to let the body fight it off itself.
But if the situation is like yours, that you simply get that sick that you need to go to hospital, - then I would use vaccine too. Better safe than sorry there
Quote from danowat :I am not convinced about that, I get a flu vaccine every year, because I am diabetic, I have had flu once in the past, and was VERY ill, was in hospital, so to me, a jab every year to lessen the chance of getting one strain is well worth it.

aye, most people get a cold and call it flu and are like all "woe is me". I too had been guilty of this in the past, then 1 winter I had flu and lost 3 stone in weight from being so ill. Now when I get a cold I call it a sniffle or man-flu.
Yeah, there is a massive difference between flu and a cold, the "£50" test is a good one to determine the difference

When I had flu, my resting heart rate was around 150bpm, which is mental!!!
Thats close you your max heart rate / age right?
Lets hope it won't happend again, a heart rate like that for longer periodes is not a wishable situation.
A little way from my max (188), which I reached during the last 1km of a 5km race!!
Sorry for going off topic, but how you manage that?
At age of 21 I should be able to reach up to 200 in heart rate or something? Even if I run like it would be my last, did 8.5 km on 30 mins, I still didn't was near my max heart rate
I've had flu once in my life and I'd really rather not have it again. Sweats, chills, the inability to physically walk. I was in bed for 2 days. Awesome stuff. I left the house on the third day and ended up wishing I hadn't - got carried home by my mum and little brother.

Bird flu got majorly overhyped and I'm pretty sure this will too. Not to say you shouldn't be vigilant about the symptoms, but there's rarely any reason to quarantine an entire country.
Quote from The Very End :Sorry for going off topic, but how you manage that?
At age of 21 I should be able to reach up to 200 in heart rate or something? Even if I run like it would be my last, did 8.5 km on 30 mins, I still didn't was near my max heart rate

Its because everyones MHR is different, there is no hard and fast rules for MHR, sure, there are thoeretical calculations, but the only to find YOUR true MHR is do run as hard and as fast as you can for a long as you can, preferably uphill, and you'll have YOUR MHR, or die

I would hazard a guess that on that run you mention, you were at, or at least close to, your MHR
MHR depends on alot of things if ur doing intense cardio u take 200 then - ur age and thats a safe heart rate for cardio/fitness building allso geting ur heart rate to high can cause cardiac arrest.

when i first started doing cardio again my MHR was around 175bpm and thats 2k at 11kph but after a few weeks i was able to sit on 193bpm at 18kph for 6k's allso that was 3 sets ie warmup then

6k as fast as i could warm down then 6k again warm down then 6k again

ps im 26

Swine Flu
(478 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG