The online racing simulator
Quote from mcintyrej :The developers aren't purposely trying to frustrate people by not releasing regular updates on the progress they are making - they never have done and I don't think they ever will, that's just the way they work.

Remember, the more time spent managing the community with updates and screen shots, is less time spent developing their game.

I did not state nor imply they ever did it on purpose; I have more respect for Scavier than that. However, I sincerely doubt that half an hour every two weeks would impede development in any way at all.
Quote from Anarchi-H :I did not state nor imply they ever did it on purpose; I have more respect for Scavier than that. However, I sincerely doubt that half an hour every two weeks would impede development in any way at all.

You know, half an hour every fortnight probably wouldn't - but do you seriously think they're ever going to release development information/deadlines again after how the idiots of the community reacted to this occasion?

I think not.
Well, I hope I can share my opinion without being called a whining bastard, because I haven't once complained about the development speed or whatever, especially of the VWS.

The Devs did mistime their announcement. If they were "so" close to releasing it, then surely they would have known that there would have been problems, or something.

So either way, something has happened. They either didn't want to release it for whatever reason, or they infact were not ready to release it and just said they were. But it's not a big deal, I don't have the time/energy for LFS and probably won't even go on much, even if the Scirocco+ other features are released.
Quote from mcintyrej :...but do you seriously think they're ever going to release development information/deadlines again after how the idiots of the community reacted to this occasion?

I think not.

If that is the case then it's their loss I guess. A good community relationship will keep more than just the die hards hanging on for an update which means more referrals through word of mouth, more exposure, more loyalty and better reputation which cumulatively will lead to higher sales and the potential to recruit more people to make games the way Scavier think they should be made. Personally, as good as LFS is, I'd like to see some more quality games come from Scavier labs.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue the toss. I'm sure the guys have heard the tosh I'm spouting before.
Hmmm.. I'm thinking that you're not fully aware of either the very specific business model or the development ethos that the LFS devs are pursuing.
I just had an idea.

Why not let guys beta test this car that are within 10% of every WR?

It will slow the debate down somewhat :-)

Will also get people driving every car. To me, there are at least 9 "new" cars on S2 at present!
Quote from Sueycide_FD :Not really. NDR should plan a rfactor race night.

Sorry to go offtopic but:

RSR could probably organise you some rfactor racing if you come and ask nicely on our forum.

Ontopic: I look forward to the Scirocco release, not really for the car, but more for the improvements that I am sure Scawen will add to the sim. I see no reason to complain though. There is plenty to do in the mean time.
Quote from andyb1982 :I just had an idea.

Why not let guys beta test this car that are within 10% of every WR?

It will slow the debate down somewhat :-)

Will also get people driving every car. To me, there are at least 9 "new" cars on S2 at present!

There are already private beta testers. So I think it's not going to happen.
Quote from diablo21 :I think a thread like this is needed for people to moan and release 'stress' here, better have a 134789127912 pages thread than have 237438 appearing every week/month/whatever.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH stress!!!! kick puppies ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!11
ZOMFG!!!!!!!!!!! *slam face in wall* !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote from Funnybear :How do you get LFS to look like that? And who made the Tiff Needell addon, doesn't look a thing like the RL one.

L O L
I still don't get it, Scirocco looks shit, but people are all over the place to drive it <.<
But, any addition is a nice addition, imo we have a good car selection now, but the tracks are lacking.
(just look how long the FBM and BF1 was popular before people got tired of them).
Quote from The Very End :I still don't get it, Scirocco looks shit, but people are all over the place to drive it <.<

I seriously don't think people are THAT excited about the Scirocco per say, however, I do believe that people are clamouring for ANYTHING fresh and new to breath life into what has become, for me, a stagnant piece of software.

FTR, I haven't played LFS for months, and have no desire too.....
No need to worry about the new car.

It will release when it's OK.Right?

And now I am sure the DEVs have so much work to do.And I am sure DEVs also like to release the new patch as soon as possible,they just not ready.

Be patience
Quote from danowat :I seriously don't think people are THAT excited about the Scirocco per say, however, I do believe that people are clamouring for ANYTHING fresh and new to breath life into what has become, for me, a stagnant piece of software.

I wholehearty agree with you.

Now, I do not know ANYTHING about game making, but I do know it doesn't take aprox 1 year to make on car. Didn't you mention something about it, out of experience?

Either way, I playing every now and then, and I love the game, but I am so at same time anoyed by the slow development speed. Now I do know, blabla their own way doing it, perfectionist and all that, but come on, since when did we get a new track?
I do not accept new confiq of excisting tracks as an answer, or updated to excisting tracks.

I better hope they has 6 tracks stored on their HDD for later release, or I'll wonder what on earth they have used their time on.

FYI I bought new skin refill yesterday, 56 bucks in total on this account, aswell as the one I bought to a certain other member. I happely donate twice that amount to just get new tracks
Quote from Matrixi :I can't see any reason why this kind of PR tactic wouldn't work with the case of LFS.

It's hard to report on whatever you've been doing when you can't go into specifics (because some things they work on might not make it into LFS at all and people get angry because they were "promised" something in the dev blog), and when the work has been done on stuff that isn't up for release for the next year or so (and could still get canceled).

Things do change, existing plans and scheduled changes are thrown out the window when a new, interesting opportunity arises (like FBM, VWS). If there would be a solid plan set, then it would be easy to post progress reports. But having a plan would mean that any new deals for cars or tracks or whatever would bring results in a timeframe of years, not months. This would steer the deals towards other sims that can respond quicker..

That's at least the way I think things are, the excuse of a progress report taking too much of the precious development time isn't really that valid.
Quote from The Very End :Now, I do not know ANYTHING about game making, but I do know it doesn't take aprox 1 year to make on car. Didn't you mention something about it, out of experience?

Of course not, but it depends on how long you are working on it, doing a "normal" 40 hour week, you could knock it out in no time at all.

However, this discussion is futile, because it will be done when its done.

Personally, I have more than had my £24 repaid in the miles I have done, so there is no weeping from me about it, I just think its a sad situation that something that is as good as LFS is, would be allowed to develop so slowly, it is badly getting left behind now by the alternatives.

Progression is key IMO, sure LFS is better now than its ever been, however, its been in its current incarnation (cars/tracks and main features) for a long time now.

As I said, I have no desire to play LFS, so the Scirocco, or any other new features, have no effect on me.
Quote from danowat :I seriously don't think people are THAT excited about the Scirocco per say, however, I do believe that people are clamouring for ANYTHING fresh and new to breath life into what has become, for me, a stagnant piece of software.

Basically that's the sentiment of this whole thread. People love the game and want to see more, but outside the EU the game has lost interest. It's really hard to attract new players to the game when it hasn't seen a major release in years.
Sollution : give us the long waited rallypack, and we'll get a truckload of new players
That was abandoned some time ago. Likely little chance of it emerging now. Hoping the same won't happen with the Scirocco.
It won't make any difference, the cycle will continue ad naseum, it goes like this.....

New content > Cheers of elation > Devs doted on like supreme beings > quiet on the forum > few months pass, few mutterings of "not enough progression" > few more months pass, forum becomes awash with people complaining about progression > new content > Cheers of elation > Devs doted on like supreme beings once more etc etc

Its been in the same for years, I just wish people would realise it will NEVER change.
Solution: Give us "Regular" updates that involve no new content eg just physics, graphics, sound etc.

Then give us a couple of new cars/tracks a year and everyone will be happy as updates will continue to flow

Whilst thats ongoing S3 needs to start developing at some speed, imho S3 would bring in a major amount of new players if it had some new features such as rain.

I know this has been discussed before too but if the LFS team were to take on say a couple of full time modders that are the best in the community, they could model cars and tracks leaving the dev's to work on other areas and S3

At the moment there just seems to be too much work for 3 people.
Quote from danowat :It won't make any difference, the cycle will continue ad naseum, it goes like this.....

New content > Cheers of elation > Devs doted on like supreme beings > quiet on the forum > few months pass, few mutterings of "not enough progression" > few more months pass, forum becomes awash with people complaining about progression > new content > Cheers of elation > Devs doted on like supreme beings once more etc etc

Its been in the same for years, I just wish people would realise it will NEVER change.

A few months is a gross understatement. When was S2 released?
Quote from danowat :It won't make any difference, the cycle will continue ad naseum, it goes like this.....

I agree, but the updates have started to come less frequently than before, a downhill spirral in the absolute wrong direction
This thread is closed

[MERGED] Scirocco enquiry threads
(2369 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG