The online racing simulator
I got crash at address 4261CC.
It was an auto-x server with layout, some people racing, I was in the pits.
I wanted to delete a setup, but I accidentally clicked rename (or the other way round, Im not sure as it was really fast), and then ESC twice, so I returned back in the starting position.
Then LFS crashed (black screen, sound looping and the exception message in front).

I forgot to save the deb.log because I started the game in order to watch the replay, but then noticed that the deb.log and temp replay files were overwritten :worried:

U29, and I couldnt reproduce in either U29 or an older version
Quote from RiGun :I'm having trouble with U29, i think it has something to do with the "Controls screen now shows the function assigned to a button" because when I press any button from my wheel at the controller menu LFS shuts down inmediatly without an error message, that does not happen if I am in the axis menu from controller's options.

Same happen to me.
But I'm able to press buttons not assigned to CTRL+ or ALT+ functions.
I've got also immediate exit when trying to assign button to CTRL+ or ALT+ functions. (I assigned it in U28, where everything works fine)
CTRL+ ALT+ assigments are not displayed next to the actually pressed button number

To maintain consistensy
Options -> Graphics -> Uncompressed Skins [Yes/No]
should be changed to Compressed Skins [Yes/no]
Now we have double negation, which is very confusing.

WinXP SP2
PSX joypad connected by USB adapter.
Quote from RiGun :I'm having trouble with U29, i think it has something to do with the "Controls screen now shows the function assigned to a button" because when I press any button from my wheel at the controller menu LFS shuts down inmediatly without an error message, that does not happen if I am in the axis menu from controller's options.

Wheel: Microsoft SideWinder Precision Wheel

Pressing buttons in the controler screen actually made LFS freeze and become completely unresponsive and forced me to hit the reset button. (WinXP, DFP)
Thanks for the U29 crash report. I've fixed the crash and uploaded U30.
Also get a crash on the controller screen when pressing buttons. Works fine for normally asigned controls (horn, TC etc), but when I press a button bound to a CTRL+F key script command LFS crashes out.

EDIT: U30 fixed it... before I finished pressing "Post Reply". Good going!
Thinking of trying this patch. Are the sound issues solved or still in the works?
Quote from PLAYLIFE :Thinking of trying this patch. Are the sound issues solved or still in the works?

The issues are solved and the sound is cleaner and more responsive than in any previous version of LFS. It's just the same old engine sounds but cleaner and with less clicks and interference and generated at higher resolution. Of course there is a lot more work to be done on the sound, and I'm already working on that. But in this version, you will find there are no new problems with the sound. The underlying system is supposed to be good now (using DirectSound instead of waveOut).
I've noticed since U28 that sound is a bit different, it has more phasing/flanging when echo is heard, or when other cars are close. Now I have to turn echo volume to minimum to reduce the effect, at least to me is kinda distracting. Just driving normally, with my old settings of about 1.7 for echo, in FZR in Aston GP I was hearing all sorts of changing phasing/flanging as I was passing walls that are closer or bit further away from the track edges. Maybe you actualy fixed something (delay time or filtering of echoes?) so this phasing effect is pronounced now, but I think it sounded better before in this regard. Otherwise, everything works great and smooth.

That was the first thing I noticed in U28 when I installed it last saturday, and Im a bit surprised nobody else wrote about it. Since then I got used to it, so I guess its not a big issue, I'm just wondering why it is different now.
It has indeed changed, I'm assuming Scawen has researched this and the default settings are more accurate. I too found it a bit strong for myself, hence I have turned echo boost down and wind boost up, however that's why we have personal preferences.
Nice, I just noticed that with the new sound system you can record replays at half speed and use the stretch filter in VirtualDubMod to speed up the sound without going to any external audio programs.

But there still is some crackling going on for me with Realtek AC'97 onboard sound.

And another small suggestion. Maybe there should be a way to disable split times in Shift-F mode while keeping flags enabled as splits can be quite distracting on some tracks.
Quote :Nice, I just noticed that with the new sound system you can record replays at half speed and use the stretch filter in VirtualDubMod to speed up the sound without going to any external audio programs.

It's really not an issue, but when you go into options in slow-mo mode, the button click sound plays slow-mo as well. If this is an easy fix, then fine- if not/unfixable, then fine!

Engine sound volume as you approach/move away from car is now much smoother, more naturalistic. You can hear other cars very faintly in the distance/background now which is a nice touch.

Quote :And another small suggestion. Maybe there should be a way to disable split times in Shift-F mode while keeping flags enabled as splits can be quite distracting on some tracks.

I like to be able to see just the split times, maybe Scawen could implement a few options by which to cycle through.. Flags/Splits, Flags, Splits, all off? ?
Sound quality is much better now. I don't hear any audible artifacts anymore which sounded earlier like bad resampling issues. Thanks Scawen.
I lowered the sound volume of all effects (car engine=10; others=1.6) and that removed the crackling. I tested at Koyoto Ring in an XFR near the walls.
Isn't there a option to turn all messages off in shift+f mode? Kinda ruins video recording when split times jump middle of the screen, true message block when viewing replays would be useful.
Quote from Scawen :I'm not getting this message any more (if I ALT+TAB from full screen and ALT+TAB back again). How are you do it? What is the method you are using to switch to windows, and to switch back to LFS? If I can reproduce it then I can probably fix it.

Since U30 i haven't this msg anymore, so it looks ok now...thx!
Quote from Blackout :Isn't there a option to turn all messages off in shift+f mode?

Yes, of course (in Misc options).

The new option is just for people who like to race with SHIFT+F mode but want to see the flags. Split times display can be turned off with another option (in Display options).

I implemented this a simple way, by enabling the centre messages in SHIFT+F mode if you don't turn off the option. As for the other requests, I don't want to allow every possibility and create a fully customisable SHIFT+F mode. I've got too many more important things to do for Patch V.
Quote from SladiVadi :I lowered the sound volume of all effects (car engine=10; others=1.6) and that removed the crackling. I tested at Koyoto Ring in an XFR near the walls.

Definately helped. Going even further down to 8/1.3 seems to have removed the crackling completely.
Quote from Scawen :Yes, of course (in Misc options).

The new option is just for people who like to race with SHIFT+F mode but want to see the flags. Split times display can be turned off with another option (in Display options).

Oh, excelent, don't know how I missed that. Thanks
Ok I don't want to sound dumb, but when did the car abbreviations appear in the car selection menu? That's great!
New in U30: Using DFP, when I pause a single player game the force feedback persists for about one second after pressing the pause button. Or in other words, if I'm turning left and the force feedback is trying to turn the wheel back to the right and I pause the game, the wheel will continue trying to rotate back for about a second. In previous versions (I've used just about every test patch since U20) the wheel went completely limp instantly when pausing the game.

This doesn't affect me negatively at all, I just thought I'd point it out in case the behavior is unintentional, as I didn't notice anything in the patch notes about FF.

Thanks for all the great work!
I am noticing what seems a minor bug. When I press shift-s to go to pits, the ff is not released and my wheel keeps moving to one extreme on it's own.

edit: nice timing Dumpy
Updated translation and found that LFS reports some strings to exceed the limit by 1 character.

3a_etn_qcyl
3a_etn_1cyl
(I guess this is true for all *-cylinder strings)
SPLIT Thread...
Sorry for the repost, but since I stupidly mixed up OT and related material in my previous post - here it is again:

Fuel dial on XRG,XRT,XRR obscures the bottom of the RPM dial.
If this was the case for some time now, apologies (but be happy for me as it's a sign that I am no longer blind :P).
Attached images
lfs_revdial.jpg
That is not new in the test patch. I guess it awaits the larger steering wheels and improved dashboards that will come in time.
This thread is closed

Cleanup : Posts moved here after processing
(1871 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG