The online racing simulator
Quote from Scawen :That is not new in the test patch. I guess it awaits the larger steering wheels and improved dashboards that will come in time.

Yeah, I looked at some previous version screenshots after reposting and noticed that it was present there as well.
Go figure... guess the sound feedback was good enough for me not to actually look at the dial before.
Quote from chp101 :...Btw rotation view for LX4/LX6 cannot be returned to 0.00° (only to 0.88°) for some reason (move slider for custom view to 180° and back)...

Right click on the slider, type in "0"
runs nice & smooth so far, good work as usual scawen

thanks for switching back the "car sound volume" slider to "2" mimimum :spin:
Quote from Scawen :Two major time-related bugs have been fixed :

From your explanations in the announcement, these seem like work arounds to a bug, rather than removing the bug itself. What is causing this in the first place, and why isn't this fixable? I'm not saying you're not doing a proper job, I mean I can't see it ever being a problem, it just seems a little lower than your usually excellent standards.
Goodjob I like that the carsound minimum is now 2

I found a bug, when you drive the wrong way, and then after that you watch the replay, and press SHIFT+F (to hide the things) then the
"WRONG WAY" text is still in screen
Quote from R1K89 :Goodjob I like that the carsound minimum is now 2

I found a bug, when you drive the wrong way, and then after that you watch the replay, and press SHIFT+F (to hide the things) then the
"WRONG WAY" text is still in screen

That is not a bug. Just turn off the new misc option "show central text in SHIFT+F mode".
Quote from Bob Smith :From your explanations in the announcement, these seem like work arounds to a bug, rather than removing the bug itself. What is causing this in the first place, and why isn't this fixable? I'm not saying you're not doing a proper job, I mean I can't see it ever being a problem, it just seems a little lower than your usually excellent standards.

There are a lot of 32 bit timers in the program counting the number of milliseconds since LFS started. These cycle back to zero after 49.7 days, so instead of going forwards by 10 ms or so, LFS thinks time goes backwards by 49.7 days. And all these timers with slightly different meanings are slightly offset from eachother, so they would all cycle round over a period of about a second.

There are many comparisons between things like the number of sent packets and the number of received packets and the next expected packet of connection X and the last received packet of connection X and the time that has elapsed and the number of packets that should have been sent by now, etc, etc. All these X > Y statements bring the wrong result at that point of 49.7 days.

Seeing as it's almost inconceivable that someone will join a host and stay there for 49.7 days non-stop, it doesn't seem worth me spending the great amount of time searching through LFS for every reference to any of these timers, and searching for every reference to every variable that is used in any comparison with any of those timers, giving sufficient thought to all possible consequences of the increased complexity required at each of those hundreds of operations.

It works well as it is and my solution of resetting the timer to zero wheneber there is no-one connected, seems the most sensible thing to do. The thing is, before U30 there really were hosts sitting online, stuck and frozen, and now there really won't be, so that's good enough for me!
Coolies.
Quote from Scawen :Seeing as it's almost inconceivable that someone will join a host and stay there for 49.7 days non-stop

Sorry, but I have to mention that this is probably the average for certain oval racers judging from stats on LFSW. :P
Quote from SladiVadi :

"Screen width affects LOD" sounds very technical. Perhaps call it "LOD inreases with screen width"?

Good point.. also to bad we cannot control the LOD ourselves, regardless of screen width.
Quote from BWX232 :Good point.. also to bad we cannot control the LOD ourselves, regardless of screen width.

You can change LOD with the sliders. I doubt you can render all by brute force effectively.

Bob Smith mentioned it, some audio and video options should go into Audio and Graphics, I agree.

They are all in Misc options:

V-Sync
Limit FPS
Max FPS
Multyplayer Speedup
LOD reduction for the mirrors

could be in Graphics I think.

Sound lag coud be in Audio.

I'm having some random crashes, but i don't know if the problem is my computer because i can not reproduce them, sometimes when trying to exit using the X button from the LFS windows the SIM crashed, also when i pressed the back button in the multiplayer menu i had a similar crash, i'm still investigating what it might be.
Solution:

If Player(i).ConnectedTime = ToDays(49.5) then
MsgBox "Sorry, you have no life."
Player(i).Disconnect
End If

Scawen as you have implemented those minimap changes... wouldn't it be possible to use the same setting for the virtual starting light? It's very often hidden under some chattext.
hi,
today I downloaded u30, something that I suddenly noticed that now all of my 5 speakers outputting sound. it usually 2 of them only. left and right. does this mean that the sound system supporting 3D output, 5.1 channel or so?
and the sound now bit more too much reverbs, sound like the cars is in the tunnell or closed room all the time.

Thanks
make sure you have not enabled some kind of "3d surround mode" in your "sound card settings" control panel.

or something like that.

(doesn't mean that the effect you are hearing is due to your sound card, could be LFS, but still it is something worth keeping in mind)
Quote from george_tsiros :make sure you have not enabled some kind of "3d surround mode" in your "sound card settings" control panel.

or something like that.

(doesn't mean that the effect you are hearing is due to your sound card, could be LFS, but still it is something worth keeping in mind)

no i didn't .. i thought i did, but then I double check. the '3D sourround mode' surely turn off. that's why i was a bit surprised. .. scawen?
- Anybody else with surroundsound/speakers testet this?
just did a short test with a replay, and I have 5 working speakers here.

EDIT:

I always had some 5.1 sound in LFS
That's interesting. From what you say, it seems like DirectSound is doing something different. It can only be controlled by a DirectSound setting, if anything. LFS is simply sending 2 channel (i.e. stereo) sound.

Is it a problem? Or is it a good thing? I don't know because I only have a stereo system (with L, R and bass).
Just tested, sound certainly comes from all four speakers but the sound from the front and the rear is the same... I'm relatively sure that DirectSound has surround sound handling libraries though so it can't be that difficult to make it fully surround now that DirectSound is already implemented... people would leap with joy at this. I use headphones usually so it doesn't make a difference for me, but I think I'd find it disorienting to have the same sound coming from everywhere so I think the rears should either be disabled or make the correct sound.
I was in SO1 yesterday, and I like the reflections and dopplar effects of the sound. Like if your sitting on the grid, if you do a quick rev you can hear the sound decay. I like it! Much more realistic, and truth be known, I can judge how close I am to a wall by how loud the engine is, which means I can concentrate more one what is ahead of me and use my ears for what is to the side of me.

I like it very much.
Quote from axus :I'm relatively sure that DirectSound has surround sound handling libraries though so it can't be that difficult to make it fully surround now that DirectSound is already implemented...

René Smit, the programmer of F1PerfView, managed to add real 3D sound to Grand Prix 3 with his GPxPatch. I remember him saying, that it was pretty easy using the DirectSound libraries. He said something like you just have to tell DirectSound the position and it does the rest for you. So just for the case you want to add 3D sound in the future, maybe René can help you with this.
hell - now I got to try this out and connect my ekstra subwoofer and
speakers to the rear.

-EDIT-
Cant get sound from rear speakers in LFS.
I have changes settings in controlpanel and SBLIve to 5.1
- I do get rear sound when testing in SBLive and other prg
who supports surroundsound.

-EDIT2- Just found something in SBLive called CMSS 3D.
...looks like thats it. Gonna test it now.
Quote from Scawen :That's interesting. From what you say, it seems like DirectSound is doing something different. It can only be controlled by a DirectSound setting, if anything. LFS is simply sending 2 channel (i.e. stereo) sound.

Is it a problem? Or is it a good thing? I don't know because I only have a stereo system (with L, R and bass).

since you do not know, then this is a problem.. for you

thanks to me, I backed up the previous state, u20.. so I tried to fall back. it's confirmed only 2 channel. other speakers are mute. then I update it to u30 again. yes.. it's 5 channel again.

i found another glitch, not sure for those who has 2 speakers. I put the throttle to floor.. then presses shift-r to restart race. the sound muted about 500msec before the race restarted.

but well, those aren't big deal for me. i can live with it.
This thread is closed

Cleanup : Posts moved here after processing
(1871 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG