The online racing simulator
So, what about mirrors? What means 'mirror:all', if I can see 'all' mirrors ONLY in car? I need a virtual mirror in a 'virtual' view (my favorite). It means that sometimes I have to press SHIFT-M even THREE times to switch to the virtual mirror.
I had U25 patch before and I switched to U28 just yesterday, but i have a really strange problem with the messages when racing but it only happened once

this what happened, i was qualifying in a server then i just pitted in garage and press alt+tab doing something then i alt+tabbed back into LFS and then continued qualifying but the messages suddenly dissappeared like people's smileys and messages but you could hear the message sound but I couldn't see any messages or anything so I pressed block and unblock messages but nothing showed up, so I entered a message to see if I could see my message but I couldn't see that as well, so I pressed leave game from the server and then suddenly all the messages before came up and I could see back the messages including my block and unblock messages and my own messages that I typed before.

i went back into the server again and it was all working fine, it was just weird. This never happened in U25 before.

I got AMD 3200+, 7600GT, 512MB, Win XP
I've switched from U20 to U28 and now i have a little problem with the sound . When there are lot's of cars on one screen the sound scratches or crackles or does something else for what i cannot find the appropriate word :o So i decided to record a little video, so you can hear how does it exactly sound . My pc : AMD AthlonXP 2800+,MSI KT600V MB,9600XT,768MB,XP & SP2, and a SB Live! 1.4 sound card .
video here > http://xps2100.extra.hu/soundbug.rar (if the link does not work for you, then don't click on the address but try to copy/paste it to your addres line)
Quote from Benja1972 :So, what about mirrors? What means 'mirror:all', if I can see 'all' mirrors ONLY in car? I need a virtual mirror in a 'virtual' view (my favorite). It means that sometimes I have to press SHIFT-M even THREE times to switch to the virtual mirror.

It was already reported on this thread. There is a bug that ALL does not provide mirrors when you are in a wheels view. This will be fixed, of course.
Quote from MataGyula :I've switched from U20 to U28 and now i have a little problem with the sound . When there are lot's of cars on one screen the sound scratches or crackles or does something else for what i cannot find the appropriate word :o

What sound volume have you set in the options?
Quote from Y-noT :I had U25 patch before and I switched to U28 just yesterday, but i have a really strange problem with the messages when racing but it only happened once

this what happened, i was qualifying in a server then i just pitted in garage and press alt+tab doing something then i alt+tabbed back into LFS and then continued qualifying but the messages suddenly dissappeared like people's smileys and messages but you could hear the message sound but I couldn't see any messages or anything so I pressed block and unblock messages but nothing showed up, so I entered a message to see if I could see my message but I couldn't see that as well, so I pressed leave game from the server and then suddenly all the messages before came up and I could see back the messages including my block and unblock messages and my own messages that I typed before.

The change is that messages are now not visible when you are in the ESCAPE menu - and that is a new thing. Are you sure that you were not in the ESCAPE menu at that time when they were not visible? If so then somehow you bypassed the "exit from escape menu" code, which turns on messages again.

If that is the case, then I'd really like to know how a way to reproduce that bug!
U28, Great patch. One teeny weeny thing. Shift+F doesn't hide the 'History' messages. You have to re-press H. A small point and not one to lose sleep over.
Quote from fire fox :p.s. how do i get an avatar on the forum, i cant find the uploader thing for avatars

You cant have avatars as a demo racer.

Sorry OT.
@Scawen
Car sound volume - 12.0
Skid volume boost - 2.0
Wind volume boost - 2.0
Echo volume boost - 2.0
-
(Bushido) DELETED by Bushido : inappropriate
Quote from Scawen :The change is that messages are now not visible when you are in the ESCAPE menu - and that is a new thing. Are you sure that you were not in the ESCAPE menu at that time when they were not visible? If so then somehow you bypassed the "exit from escape menu" code, which turns on messages again.

If that is the case, then I'd really like to know how a way to reproduce that bug!

I was definitely sure i was not in the escape menu at the time because I can't drive a car when the escape menu is on and when i was driving i always hear the message sounds, anyway I will try and reproduce the bug if I can
I installed U28 yesterday and today when I played it, my system went Blue Screen a couple times. I Tried U20 for a while and did not do it.

EDIT: Nope. Just happened again. Hard drive kept shutting off (failing I guess) I will never buy a Maxtor again, WD went on my S*** list a while ago. Well, I'm going to have to buy a Seagate and see if it happens again.
Quote from Y-noT :I was definitely sure i was not in the escape menu at the time because I can't drive a car when the escape menu is on and when i was driving i always hear the message sounds, anyway I will try and reproduce the bug if I can

I found a way to reproduce the symptom ("hide messages" left on when not in the ESC menu).

It's slightly different from what you describe but seems a possibility - because you were using the ESC key a bit and you ALT-TABBED out of LFS you might not have known exactly what happened while you were out...

If you had pressed ESC and left it sitting in the ESC menu for a while, then the other people voted to END RACE and it went back to the entry screen, then you would be left without messages until you next entered and left the ESC menu again.

That's the only way I can see in the code to reproduce it, though I notice it's slightly different from your original description. I have fixed that loophole so it won't happen again the way I described.

I've changed the code a bit anyway, in U29 you will find the messages are dimmed and behind the selection buttons, in ESC menu and OPTIONS. They do not vanish completely.

EDIT : But I notice you said you were actually driving at the time. So you must have clicked "Join" from the ESC menu... so it looks like my explanation doesn't make sense. Oh well... if anyone finds out how to reproduce this another way, please let us know!
yep, i was driving at that time for sure because i was trying to get a PB when i noticed the messages disappeared and i must have pressed ESC to join the qualifying

also before qualifying started we ENDED the race to change tracks so the messages dissapearing may of started at that time and btw, I still can't reproduce the bug
Ack! Hit a wall (proverbially). I wonder if it would be possible to introduce the option to have sounds in MPR/SPR, when playing back at less than 1x. I know it doesn't make real-world sense, but it's actually about movie making.

When you want to achieve a smooth replay, common practice is to playback a replay at 0.5x and record (using fraps etc) at for example 25fps. Then, using VirtualDub, double the framerate of your recording. The result is a perfect 50fps movie, playing 1x.

You can still do all the above, but that movie can't have sound any more. It would be great to have the option.
Well.....

If you were in the ESC menu, at the time when you all returned to the entry screen, the messages could have vanished at that point (that is the bug I have fixed now).

Then, you could have joined just by pressing "ready" on the entry screen, and started qualifying out on the track.

If that could be how it happened, then that is sufficient explanation. And that's fine because that bug is now fixed! (in my version)
when small map is set to 'right', it switches between left and right during qualifying.
Quote from SamH :Ack! Hit a wall (proverbially). I wonder if it would be possible to introduce the option to have sounds in MPR/SPR, when playing back at less than 1x. I know it doesn't make real-world sense, but it's actually about movie making.

It wasnt really about real world sense, it was a programming issue, due to the way the new sound system works. Anyway, I realised that I can change the speed of the whole sound buffer, still playing 441 samples per physics update (44.1 kHz sound).

So now, when the replay speed is slowed to 0.5 or 0.25, it plays the sound, but at 22050 or 11025 Hz. This is a new thing for LFS, and was requested some time ago. It means the sound can simply be speeded up and will be correct, with no need for any special filters.
Quote from Blowtus :when small map is set to 'right', it switches between left and right during qualifying.

Please can you give a more detailed description?

It's programmed to move to the left, once, when results begin to appear in the results table. Because there's no point drawing it under a load of rectangles and text. So if that is what you have seen, that is not a bug.

If it is jumping back and forth randomly, then that would be a bug. Big grin
Awesome!
Quote from three_jump :lfs gets stuck / crashes (click sound gets looped, have to close it by the task manager) when changing "use compressed skins" in single- and multiplayer.
(but it works in the mainmenu)

I can't reproduce this. I do get the looping sound buffer but it comes back to life after reloading textures. Anyway, I have now at least stopped the ugly looping sound buffer in my version.
I was wondering why my slow-mo sounds were never correct when recorded and speeded up, nice
Quote from Doorman :U28, Great patch. One teeny weeny thing. Shift+F doesn't hide the 'History' messages. You have to re-press H. A small point and not one to lose sleep over.

OK, an easy convenience feature, I have now turned off message history display automatically in two situations :

1) You press SHIFT+F to hide the 2d display
2) Race or qualifying starts or restarts
Quote from axus :I can't seem to hear the BOV sound in U28 - in any car. Anyone else have this?

Can't reproduce that. I tried with FXO GTR at default sound levels and I could hear it clearly.
Quote from Scawen :Can't reproduce that. I tried with FXO GTR at default sound levels and I could hear it clearly.

Dito. Tried it yesterday with the XRR and the XRT. No problems!
Quote from Scawen :OK, an easy convenience feature, I have now turned off message history display automatically in two situations :

1) You press SHIFT+F to hide the 2d display
2) Race or qualifying starts or restarts

What can I say? You're a star.
This thread is closed

Cleanup : Posts moved here after processing
(1871 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG