The online racing simulator
Grand Theft Auto V
(1980 posts, started )
Quote from ASR Sanchez :Some news about pc release? I saw so much info's on net that i can not figure out what is true . Maybe you are properly informed about this.

Nothing official yet.
Tried it just now, was fun but it's just the same as GTA IV online really.

Annoying that the voice chat is global and not local... really why would I wanna hear a guy on the other side of the map?
hasn't worked for me at all this entire time.
What I really ****ing object to, is having to do a ****ing tutorial. I've played 40+ hours, completed the game twice, I think I know how to ****ing drive a car. I can connect to online fine, but I can't get through the tutorial because it bugs out every single ****ing time.
I'm so angry right now, that it's hard for me to concentrate on typing this properly, so forgive me if it's hard to read or follow.

I've spent nearly 50 hours playing the single player for this game, I've spent more time playing as my least favourite character than most of my friends have spent playing the entire game. I have uncovered every inch of the map, driven on every road, driven every vehicle, flown every aircraft, bought, upgraded and used every single weapon. I can navigate the map without using my radar or GPS. I have two saves both at 75% complete, and I've taken more pictures with Snapmatic than I've taken on any camera in the last 10 years of my life. It's safe to assume I know how to play the game.

So why the **** do I have to play an unskippable tutorial showing me how to race a car? Even the first driving mission in the single player was skippable, and that one didn't assume you had been teleported in from another universe in which GTA didn't ****ing exist. I would tolerate this pointless and idiotic tutorial if GTA Online was a standalone release, or maybe if it had been available the day the game shipped, instead we've had two weeks to get used to the mechanics of the game. Push the go button to go, push the stop button to stop, and use the wiggly stick thingy to change direction. It's not rocket science is it?

All of that would have been completely irrelevant and dismissed as a mild inconvenience, if the tutorial had worked, if all I had to do was sit through it once and never see it or think about it again. But what actually happened is that the tutorial can't be completed, for some reason, my Collectors Edition of the game does not allow me to progress past the tutorial. I've tried everything, for 8 hours on and off, and it fails at the same two places every single time. I can connect to the GTA Online servers, I can see my friends happily playing their standard editions and inviting me into their games, but I am refused access to the core function of the game because a bug is preventing me from completing something that should never had been in the game in the first place.

The real slap in the face is that I've spent £100 on the Collectors Edition, because I love the GTA series, I love Rockstar, and I wanted to go the extra mile to get something special and support one of my favourite developers. That decision, which I made for those reasons, has resulted in a day of frustration and anger, while watching people enjoying GTA Online who didn't support Rockstar that way, who don't care as much, who haven't spent as much time or money as I have.

The response from Rockstar is "we're working on it", I'm sure they will hush up the fact that this problem is mainly affecting Collectors Editions, and I will probably forget all about this once they fix it. But for now I am furious.
Have some patience, you have a record amount of.people playing online at one time on hardware that is almost a decade old.

There is going to be some problems.
Everything seems to be working now, got up to level 5 or so just robbing stores. Wish they would put out some proper heists.
I understand server issues, but my issue is being caused by a barrier they put up, which has nothing to do with the number of people online. I described it to a friend as it being like a youtube advert freezing, one you can't skip, and that plays every single time you try to watch the video. It has no need to be there, it's easily avoided, and it's preventing me from getting at the content.

This is how simple the solution is...

Have you played GTA before?

A) Yes
B) No

I choose A

okay, you don't need a tutorial, have fun.

Solved.
It's odd though, because they did try to give the online a bit of a story. Besides the impossible to do race, there's at least two other sorta story driven online missions that happen. Definitely annoying when you just want to go out and rob people, but I guess it's so they can set up things nicely for the future.
My character deleted itself and now I'm stuck at this impossible tutorial..

I did however manage to get onto a deathmatch game which is why I said it was just like GTA IV. I hope the GTAO is worth this shit.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :angry rant

I'm having the same issues and i'm playing the normal version, not the collectors edition. Why would the collectors edition be different to the normal one in this regard?
I can't join online either. Tells me "Cannot host game".
To regard the start of GTA O as bumpy would be quite a euphemism... and to think that I felt lucky for having the day off...
What people need to remember is having millions of people trying to connect at the same time is going to cause problems. Look at the huge companies being taken offline by DDOS attacks over the last few years.

There's probably more users trying to connect simultaneously to the servers than one of these DDOS attacks. Then they're downloading more data than a DDOS attack. There WILL be issues - I'm fully expecting them for the next week or 2.

Call of Duty has problems every year when they release a new game, FIFA does too (not tried last 2 years though), GTA has probably double the user base of CoD and arguably Rockstar is a much smaller company than Activision, so it's asking a bit much for it to be 100% smooth instantly.

Rockstar have said themselves they didn't expect GTA V to be as successful as it has been, they've (apparently) been working 24/7 to get more servers online ready for GTA Online - but this also has its own drawbacks and initial problems (I've recently teamed up 4 servers in the server farm I look after and it was a nightmare!!!).

Simple answer is. Be patient.

I do agree, however that the tutorials should be optional rather than forced.

I did manage to get a good stable and lag free connection for about 2 hours last night, played a couple of missions and some TDM's and it's very, very good!! Earning money is fairly quick meaning only idiots will be buying it with real money. TDMs are a bit like GTA IV online but with far better shooting mechanics, it reminds me a bit of Max Payne 3 online which doesn't surprise me either.

Looking forward to problems being sorted and giving it a good go with friends though.
To be fair to Rockstar, they were pretty explicit that up to the first 2 weeks.. GTA:O could be a less than awesome experience. They tried their best to manage expectations before releasing it, but failed at.
I'm not concerned about the quality, but rather about me not being able to play at all, not even in "solo mode", so I can't even get the mandatory tutorials out of the way...

But I agree that it's rather an inconvenience than a crisis.
still to this moment i have yet been able to get into GTA online, best i have got is to customize the character then its just says error server timed out.
Quote from Mustafur :then its just says error server timed out.

But isn't this how Online gaming generally works in australia? :P
Got to play online for an hour or so until it timed out at the mandatory team deathmatch tutorial. Pretty fun so far, will play more once the servers are more stable.
Oh snap! Just picked this up last night. I didn't realize you had to install it. I have an old 4 GB xBox I thought it would still work with the jetliner sound of the disc spinning and play off that...

New game and it had to sit there on top of the TV stand staring at me all night long. I only have an 8 GB memory stick which formatted to 6.7 GB.

I live way out in the middle of nowhere. Not easy to just run to the store and pick up a memory stick or hard drive. That's an all evening excursion.

What a bummer. Only 7 more hours til I'm home with a 16 GB memory stick.
Silly peasantbox. Who invented to put in only 4GB?

Grand Theft Auto V
(1980 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG