The online racing simulator
Come on, tell us all you know kidcodea :hyper:
I have a couple of theories on the whole thing.

Theory 1
I think that the relationship between BMW/Sauber and LFS is an exchange, not of money, but of knowledge and capability. I think LFS have/will provide BMW/Sauber with a simulator that will meet their needs.

I think in return, BMW/Sauber have given/will probably continue to provide, telemetry data for LFS to derive physics. I think this is how the devs have come up with a patch they're extraordinarily confident about. They have real data to compare their computations with.

Net gain to LFS (all of us).. an F1. A real one. One that drives like a real F1 because all the data in it is real telemetry. It's my best guess, but I'm pretty confident.

Theory 2
I think the patch was planned for Sunday. I think at the beginning of the week, they predicted that they'd be finished before then, and that they'd have a day or two of relaxation before the nerves begin. Different nerves.. committing to a patch release is like stepping out on stage. It's a scary thing. A point, past which there is no return.

I think the patch ran wide, though, and at the end of the planned countdown they still had last-minute tweaks to do. Err on the side of caution. "better to waste a moment in life than life in a moment." Better to be sure than fall foul.

Another day is needed, and the LFS community is hungry (yeah, okay we're ravenous). What do the devs do? They can't release the patch because it's still not perfect (and we'd be bloody awful to deal with if it wasn't. We're like that. Look from outside in, to see.) Their big surprise. Their easter egg. The one they wanted us to FIND at Easter.. they had to fess up. WTF? (.html).

The patch may not be with us tomorrow either. I don't know. I just have a feeling that it's played out this way, out of anyone's hands. And if I'm right, then thumbs up to the devs. Whether the patch is here tomorrow, or we have to wait a few more days, I'll be grateful when it comes and I'm happier now, having thought a while on it, to wait as long as it takes.

Those are my theories
Sounds like you've put some thought into that!

:
People actually race these cars on Oval tracks? Thats weird.
SamH, I think your 2. theory is busted because the teaser1.jpg (that F1 pic of course) is dated 10.4.2006. And that pic also has the "wtf" text on it, I think this thing is planned. Or then Scavier have prepaired very well before hand for this kind of last minute delay.
Quote from boosterfire :I prefer racing touring cars in LFS.

So do I, but I'm still rapt that the F01 (or whatever) is there.

I prefer racing touring cars, but will love practicing / lapping F01 offline, with the occasional race online.

This will not mean the death of the touring cars. It will affect the popularity of the F08 more.

Lastly, don't forget that the F01 car is not the only thing in this patch. We still have the tyre and aero physics to play around with which will affect all classes of cars.

I am so happy, I have 2 pairs of undies on today. Just in case.
Quote from deggis :SamH, I think your 2. theory is busted because the teaser1.jpg (that F1 pic of course) is dated 10.4.2006.

The day the image was rendered isn't important. There is more than one reason to render a car you've modelled for LFS. Not just to tease LFSers. If you go on to use it for that purpose, that may be a different matter.
Quote from farcar :I am so happy, I have 2 pairs of undies on today. Just in case.

:ices_rofl
Quote from KiDCoDEa :i like amd. but they have SERIOUS catching up to do. am2 platform is gonna get crushed by conroe. 50% and more.
laptop market is duo core...
2006 and 2007 are totally intel years unless amd can come with something unexpected FAST.
the fpu perf on conroe is awesome for rendering...

peace

False.
http://sharikou.blogspot.com/2 ... e-claim-being-busted.html
Quote from sil3ntwar :People said that about the F08 and oval yet that died pretty quick.

Because most people couldn't drive it.

Quote from boosterfire :That's true. The fo8 would be completly dropped from the oval and the f1 would take all the place everywhere. I personally don't hate the idea of having an f1, as the difference from the fo8 and the f1 would be pretty big, but I don't know... I prefer racing touring cars in LFS.

The idea is nice. But I really find F1's dull. When you watch it they go around the tracks as though they themselves was on tracks preventing them going offline. I get tired, touring cars however you can tell they are being driven on the edge and running off the track and bumps are common place. So much more enjoyment to watch and to race in LFS.

Infact most motorsport is more fun to watch until you get to the real high speed end of the market. Then it's just dull.
Quote from SamH :The day the image was rendered isn't important. There is more than one reason to render a car you've modelled for LFS. Not just to tease LFSers. If you go on to use it for that purpose, that may be a different matter.

Yes but image file also has the "What the ****" text on it. If I'd make a render writing something like that wouldn't be very logical if I wasn't sure for what it would be used.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Because most people couldn't drive it.

The idea is nice. But I really find F1's dull. When you watch it they go around the tracks as though they themselves was on tracks preventing them going offline. I get tired, touring cars however you can tell they are being driven on the edge and running off the track and bumps are common place. So much more enjoyment to watch and to race in LFS.

Infact most motorsport is more fun to watch until you get to the real high speed end of the market. Then it's just dull.

You don't see the cars "at the limit" as easily because: a. they're going faster, and b. the drivers are making corrections so many times a second you can't tell from the outside. Watch an F1 race's driver cams, its insane. 3+g's of grip and enough downforce at 160mph, after letting off the accelerator, to make it feel like a normal car slamming on the brakes... thats called thrilling.
Quote from deggis :Yes but image file also has the "What the ****" text on it. If I'd make a render writing something like that wouldn't be very logical.

The render was created on the 10th. That may be a different date from the day it was modified to include the text. In Windows, these two file attributes are separate. I don't know a way to find this granular information about a file held on the LFS server, in order to be more sure.

I may be wrong entirely. None of us know. I just see a progression of update release information, and I think that the visor strips might have got a mention as perhaps the 2nd or 3rd update, if they'd planned the release to happen after Sunday. There are other things they could have told us about, that I think will be in the patch.

On Sunday, the direction of update information changed. It became cryptic, where before it had been more specific. With that, I sense a measure of uncertainty from the Devs. I think something went wrong with their master plan. Who knows? We can only guess.
Maybe they wanted to have a good bit of entertainment watching all you guys salivate and speculate over what it could be. Heck, if I was them I'd give a week of riddles just to see how insane you people went.
#466 - Woz
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Because most people couldn't drive it.

F1, like Nascar is very dull to watch BUT driving might be a little different. Any car that snaps at you and will punish you for the slightest mistake can be fun to drive. I have found a new love of the Raceabout after playing NKP as it does not feel as twitchy with Bobs easy race set after the NPK cars

I think the info share between BMW and LFS is probably right in that BWN get access to the sim for their own needs and LFS gets a car and real world data. What better way to validate the sim than against the motorsport that is the most tech. You will probably find that BWM got a track editor in the deal so they can create F1 tracks for their own use

I hope BWM allow the use of other cars in their range within LFS. The M3 or Works Mini would be a great addition to LFS.
Quote from Dethred :Maybe they wanted to have a good bit of entertainment watching all you guys salivate and speculate over what it could be. Heck, if I was them I'd give a week of riddles just to see how insane you people went.

Maybe that's it. No idea. I just don't think so.

And yeah, I'm salivating. I have to turn my keyboard over 2x per day, to drain it from all the salivating I'm doing. It's a wonder I haven't fried my tongue.

I'm excited about the patch. I think my excitement is sourced in the Devs' own excitement. That's how I see it, and how I feel
Quote from Woz :F1, like Nascar is very dull to watch BUT driving might be a little different. Any car that snaps at you and will punish you for the slightest mistake can be fun to drive. I have found a new love of the Raceabout after playing NKP as it does not feel as twitchy with Bobs easy race set after the NPK cars

I think the info share between BMW and LFS is probably right in that BWN get access to the sim for their own needs and LFS gets a car and real world data. What better way to validate the sim than against the motorsport that is the most tech. You will probably find that BWM got a track editor in the deal so they can create F1 tracks for their own use

I hope BWM allow the use of other cars in their range within LFS. The M3 or Works Mini would be a great addition to LFS.

This is all true, but as it's a game you don't get the same feeling. Just racing road cars has nothing on when I used to race with my mum at an old air strip. We rarely broke 100mph, but the rush is there, on a game unless you are pressing 100mph, it just seems slow.

But as I did the racing (well I say racing, I don't think flying around an airport with one other car counts as real racing, but I had fun) it reminds me of that, so in a way I know what it feels like. As I'll never fly around a corner at 130+ then open up to 200+, it just seems so dull as I'll never know what that really feels like. Plus once the downforce gets them they seem to easy. Where as the road cars the faster you go the more edgy they get.

Saying that as I've never driven a largely downforced car I'll never really know how they feel at speeds. Only what LFS tells me
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :This is all true, but as it's a game you don't get the same feeling. Just racing road cars has nothing on when I used to race with my mum at an old air strip. We rarely broke 100mph, but the rush is there, on a game unless you are pressing 100mph, it just seems slow.

But as I did the racing (well I say racing, I don't think flying around an airport with one other car counts as real racing, but I had fun) it reminds me of that, so in a way I know what it feels like. As I'll never fly around a corner at 130+ then open up to 200+, it just seems so dull as I'll never know what that really feels like. Plus once the downforce gets them they seem to easy. Where as the road cars the faster you go the more edgy they get.

Saying that as I've never driven a largely downforced car I'll never really know how they feel at speeds. Only what LFS tells me

The speed is all relative... to a degree. The F1 cars are built to stay on the track at those kinds of speeds. When they decide to cut lose, they give very, very little warning unlike a sports car. The F1 cars that are racing are just as much on the edge as a sports car is. Passing comes at a premium in F1 and therefore, every pass for position is exciting. Plus, it is the drama, the uncompromising pursuit of perfection.
I like sports car racing best, both to watch and to drive (ALMS, Le Mans), but I also love F1. You really have to get into the teams, drivers and personalities before you really get it. I have yet to see an F1 car live, but I think if you did, you would be in love with them too.
Driving them in a sim is going to be interesting. Corners will come at you so fast. The braking will be insane. None of us are going to drive them very well for quite a while. It will probably be messy... but fun
Yay.....faster Cars!!!! Fun Fun
Quote from sunjovasie :Yay.....faster Cars!!!! Fun Fun

Thats the spirit!
battles will be just as tense with the formula 1 car. i get tense just watching them on tv. its hard to have a decent battle with the f08 since most people find the car to hard to drive consistantly. but that will all change after the patch.

i believe that because of how realistic lfs is (downforce, tires, drafting/dirty air) the formula 1 races will be loads of fun.
I'm confident that whatever the patch does turn out to be, it is nothing but good news for liveforspeed. The tyre physics should allow for more realism, and closer races with mistakes that mean making up seconds rather than spinning out and that being the end of it. This should also help the nightmare that is turn one, less race restart calls etc...

The new layouts look stunning although that hairpin is going to be terrifying, looks like its sharp enough to drop the speeds below the downforce "zone", could make for some very interesting formula and GT races.

Needless to say this is still the only game to me that feels like cars on a road (even if they are still oversteer happy cars), I've only been driving fast for a few years, but compared to everything else this is certainly the best feeling, and most satisfying.

I read the forums, I get excited, and I go and play for a few hours... which is what I'm going to do right now!
#474 - Woz
The F1 on the track will be chaos for a long time and is probably why the F08 has been most popular on the oval where it is easier to keep on the track. As mentioned earlier, the edge on an F1 car is very very narrow. This makes catching the car when it has let go a nightmare.

I hope the default setup is a BMW supplied one that is less snappy than a full on race setup would be.
Remember the physics changes might make it a little easier to keep them on track

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG