The online racing simulator
Richard Burns Rally
(1109 posts, started )
Quote from Vain :
Oh, and some rant about the US rally: I hate that one. It's the worst rally of all. I have to drive like a madman and go full risk to get my 5 speed Peugot around those stages at a reasonable sub-stagerecord time. I could barely defend my 9 points lead in the championship (difficulty "champion") after I stuffed the finnish one (tipped it over, lost over a minute, but managed to pull three stage-besttimes in the broken car, placing me in second).

Vain

i like the US stages a few of em are extremely fast. and i can easily finnish far ahead of the ai on hardest difficulty.
#277 - Don
another tournament for lfs people, this time by tommy_v

LiveforSpeedRally- link
password: lfs
Quote from Don :another tournament for lfs people, this time by tommy_v

LiveforSpeedRally- link
password: lfs

To get the relevant car in 'Allowed modifications' I simply select the relevant physics file in RBR Start from the downloads section of that site?
#279 - Don
So it works randomly and it's already a pain in the ass area to search, download and install mods to enter the tournament...

Anyone interested in a completely mod-free, blanco RBR online tournament?

EDIT: Jesus H. Christ, I typo more than all Korean Starcraft players combined.
Quote from spankmeyer :EDIT: Jesus H. Christ, I typo more than all Korean Starcraft players combined.

LOL ^_^ kekekeke
I just installed the demo. All I can say is holy sh*t!!! I thought I was a fairly decent LFS racer, but OMG, this just kicked my arse, LOL. I don't think it's a problem with the sim, I've done the steering lag fix and everything. Nothing feels weird or wrong, just effing hard.

I had immense respect for rally drivers before playing this, but holy crap, those guys/girls (can't forget Michèle Mouton) are gods.

Immense fun, by the way. I really need the full version.
@spankmeyer: Yes! I'm definitely in for the mod-less RBR rally.
@96 GTS: You propably already read some of the hints in this thread. Just practice and don't go faster than you can.

... I just came up with a new hint: Downhill equals danger.
Noiker II is incredible dangerous because of the downhill sections. No grip. At all.

Vain
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from Vain :
@96 GTS: You propably already read some of the hints in this thread. Just practice and don't go faster than you can.

Vain

Oh, for sure, lol. I need to practice tons. I can drive the stages slowly, but it's so tempting to push, until ou hit trees....

Absolutely amazing sim, this one has a permanant place on my hard drive for sure
Quote from tristancliffe :Almost nothing. That's what I said. I get the tiniest, almost imperceptable forces going on, and yet I've tried numerous settings in Control Panel for overal strength. As I'm mainly an LFS I of course have damper and wotsit %s on 0.

Hmmm, so I need to turn up Sprint Effects. Okay, will try that. The word 'effect' scares me nowadays though.

As I said no canned effects here.

So did you already try it with Spring Effectss set to 50% something? I can't remember but back when I searched for the right setting I found the steering very light too if Spring effecfts was turned off.

Quote :I'd love to have stalling in LFS. And when we do I bet I'll be able to press the clutch no matter what the gear, and press start. It might be difficult to start sure (racing engines are when hot), but in RBR it WILL NOT start with the car in gear (and pressing the clutch, which I have mapped to a button on the advice earlier in this thread).

There is no use for the ignition button which pisses me off too. Seems like it was just left as an unfinished feature.

Quote :If it's as good a sim as everyone states (and everyone can't be wrong) then the default cars can't be the problem.

Default cars are only a problem graphically (btw, there is a model/skin livery updates for almost every default car, without the need to change physics). I think Peugeot 206 and the original Subaru 2003 still handles best compared to all modded cars. I believe Richard Burns knows better how a WRC car handles than 100 RBR modders who usually just make the modded physics too easy.

Quote from Don :brake squeaks are fake, added in premiere

Damn.
Gonna add Sprint Effect now and give it a test.

The ignition button seems to just play the starter motor sound, but it's not actually started the car yet, no matter what I do. Clutch (I have clutch help off) + Neutral + throttle starts it everytime (damage notwithstanding).

Edit: Yayness, force feedback. I've also fiddled with the linearity of the steering, and it's way more fun now. Thank you!!!!!! Testing curtailed when a tree jumped out in front of me (if was the damn tree, not me) and broke my car. Maybe I should turn down the damage... nah, this is more rewarding
Quote from tristancliffe :a tree jumped out in front of me (if was the damn tree, not me) and broke my car.

Oh, that tree... It once lay down and covered itself in snow in the finnish rally, sneaked up to the road and jumped right into my right front tyre once! It's an evil tree. I think it's searched in at least 6 countries for rally-car-murder...

Vain
Quote from tristancliffe :Edit: Yayness, force feedback. I've also fiddled with the linearity of the steering, and it's way more fun now. Thank you!!!!!! Testing curtailed when a tree jumped out in front of me (if was the damn tree, not me) and broke my car. Maybe I should turn down the damage... nah, this is more rewarding

Finally!
I'm glad to hear you really had missing FF. Would've been a shame if the greatest rally sim out there ended labeled as "dead" by you.
Great If I or someone else just had remembered that Spring Effects thing earlier.
My arms hurt now!!!!!!!

Left arm more than the right, cos the right arm has to do things like gear changing, leaving the left to flail wildly with the wheel. Turned off gear protection too.

You know, I'm thinking this is quite good now. The FFB means I can feel the wheels lock. I hate driving by sound alone, and I'm only about 10 seconds off the default time at France stage 1. I'm gonna get the setup pack I downloaded working (the KSP pack, and I think it's just in the wrong folder) and see how much better that makes it. But first, it's time for a lovely cup of tea whilst my arm recovers.

Besides, I have the September issue of Circuit Driver to read

Thanks HUGELY to everyone for helping me... I bet it frustrated you, but I wasn't being difficult on purpose. Turn off your FFB and see how crap RBR is
I've decided I like the Celica, like the WRC cars to drive but having less power makes it much easier to finish stages
Quote from tristancliffe :I'm gonna get the setup pack I downloaded working (the KSP pack, and I think it's just in the wrong folder) and see how much better that makes it.

You mean this? http://www.bhmotorsports.com/download/9704

At least that has modified files that goes to the Physics folder but I think those are just the default setup files... so it changes default setups of the cars and not the actual physics. But I'm not sure. If you want to be sure that you want to use default physics you could alternatively try this: http://www.bhmotorsports.com/download/10785 - that's just a huge setup collection from the RBR-Rank site.
Okey Dokey. Nice descriptive file name too Hugesetuppack.zip

How does it work, because I'm only allowed 3 saved sets or something. Surely there is some clever program that will allow me to easily use more? I don't decide on cars/stages until I'm playing, so if I have to preselect it would be difficult and annoying. Are the default sets considered good, bad or indifferent?
You have 3 setups per car. I use the KSP setups (from the hugesetuppack) because they're "Tarmac", "Gravel" and "Snow" so I don't have to learn so many different setups.

Vain
Quote from tristancliffe :How does it work, because I'm only allowed 3 saved sets or something. Surely there is some clever program that will allow me to easily use more?

With RBRdll you can use more setups per car (I guess as many as you want).

That huge setup pack includes folders for every default car and for some modded cars too. Choose the setups what you want and move them to RBR\SavedGames folder. You need to rename the file names because the system is so retarted. E.g. 5slot0_setupnamehere.lsp, 5slot1, 5slot2, 5slot3... 5 means the car slot (in this case Subaru '03) and slot0 means the setup slot.

Or then just use the KSP setup pack. but I'm not sure is that considered using modified physics (which could be a problem if you attend to participate in the RBR online tournaments or something).

There is also a utilitiy called RBR Setup Manager: http://www.bhmotorsports.com/download/12584
Never used it but I guess it makes setup configuration much easier.

Just realised how easy hazzling with the setups in LFS is.

Quote :Are the default sets considered good, bad or indifferent?

Tarmac setups are bad.
Okay, after reading this thread, and seeing all the smexyness (and taking note of bug fixes). I now have this in my inbox. Can't wait for it to get here :3

I'll just put Dons video on loop for the next few days. £5 for hours of fun though, man alive, £5 well spent.
Pfft, I done some recceeing ealrier in my new group N Evo (All the stuff Dom said to use) and when I join the tournament it only lets me use the damn MG, help?

Roll on the no mods tournament!
Send the mods to the bin!
Can't wait for the modless tournament.

Just finished the french rally. Someone should tell the AI that my teammate (who is 20 championship points behind!) shouldn't try to kick me from the first place when I'm defending my place from other drivers. But well, championship 2nd and 3rd both totalled their cars in Joux Verte II, so I'm already champion.
This game is so great!

Vain
Quote from Bawbag :Pfft, I done some recceeing ealrier in my new group N Evo (All the stuff Dom said to use) and when I join the tournament it only lets me use the damn MG, help?

Roll on the no mods tournament!

Yea i am not a big fan off n group and roll on no mods tournament
It tells me, "Error creating pixel shading: Pixelshaders/General/Carglassinternal.pso". I that file with the game though.

Is it a bad graphix card?

Richard Burns Rally
(1109 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG