The online racing simulator
Richard Burns Rally
(1109 posts, started )
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Well I completely sucked in the lfs tournament. I think I only finished two stages. I've never liked using realistic damage in RBR though.
I added that sound mod after about 15 mins of working out what to do and what to get, was looking forward to it but as I use the new 06 Impreza I don't think it has sounds forr that, maybe change the Impreza 2002 sounds to 2006, havn't tried any other cars but i'm going now.

By the way, asked this in the last post but it's been forgotten, how come I couldn't use all of my cars for the LFS tournament, all I had was the 206, Xsara and the Evo 7/8.

Quote from deggis :Argh, stop giving links to that thread. Yes that is the original thread where the steering lag issue was discussed & solved but do you see simple step-by-step quick fixing instructions in that thread? Nope, actually I bet you don't understand a thing what he's saying in that opening post. So I don't know how many times I've already given this link but once again: STEERING LAG FIX

Done, and the lag is gone.

Quote from deggis : What setup pack? Some setup packs in Bhmotorsports.com might include some modified physics... so be careful before you screw it up. Personal setups are in the RBR\SavedGames folder, named after car slots which is pretty confusing system.

I forget the exact name of the pack (it's saved on my desktop at home), but it was just setups.

Quote from deggis :Readme.txt?

Read it. But can't remember it in game. Alt-Tab just breaks it, and I have to ctrl-alt-del out of RBR.

Quote from deggis :I still don't understand. Something is wrong. "Nothing"?! Completely nothing or did you just over-exaggerate?

Almost nothing. That's what I said. I get the tiniest, almost imperceptable forces going on, and yet I've tried numerous settings in Control Panel for overal strength. As I'm mainly an LFS I of course have damper and wotsit %s on 0.

Quote from deggis :What kind of FF settings you're using in the Profiler/control panel? I might have forgotten to say this but it's confimed by the RBR physics coder (Eero Piitulainen, the same guy that makes Driver's Rebublic currently) that RBR uses only Overall and Spring Effects. So only Damper Effects should be 0%. I've noticed that it feels the best when you have e.g. Overall 100% and Springs 50% or lower. I'd guess that you had Springs put to 0%...? Otherwise I don't have a clue why you're not getting good FF feel from RBR. Did you know that it's using similar steering column torque system than LFS, netKar Poo and DR. There are no canned effects.

Hmmm, so I need to turn up Sprint Effects. Okay, will try that. The word 'effect' scares me nowadays though.

Quote from deggis :And in LFS you can't even accidentaly stall your car! What a crappy game.

I'd love to have stalling in LFS. And when we do I bet I'll be able to press the clutch no matter what the gear, and press start. It might be difficult to start sure (racing engines are when hot), but in RBR it WILL NOT start with the car in gear (and pressing the clutch, which I have mapped to a button on the advice earlier in this thread).

Quote from deggis : To all your other completely nonsense points I don't even care to answer. Just feels you have somehow decided "I can't like RBR because LFS is still the best" or something.

Nope, if I didn't like RBR I'd have told you. I don't like GTR, GTR2, GTL, rF. They are crap, in every way (apart from rF's brake squeal which I like). I genuinely want to like RBR, but it's so damn difficult to make it work. There shouldn't be a 'Steering Lag Fix', because that was wotshisfaces job to make the game, not have us finish it. I'll try FFB Spring Effects - it might be my problem. I've not reached the scary stages of adding custom cars, because it's not really clear how - I think I have to use a DATtool, and replace existing cars. But I'll work that out when I'm ready. If it's as good a sim as everyone states (and everyone can't be wrong) then the default cars can't be the problem.

Quote from deggis :RBR was released first for consoles but I think that is still wrong assumption. I'm sure the devs wanted to make only for PC but the publisher wanted it to be "Colin McRae Rally". Did you know that publisher refused to release it before the devs added those driving helps and difficulty levels as a compromise. And they actually added more grip on gravel for the PC version.

The interface is 100% console. I'm confident that the physics were optimised for PC & Wheel users, but everything else dumbed down to console IQ level.

Deggis, I've read many of your posts here and on RSC, and I know you know what your talking about. I want to like RBR, but for whatever reason I can't so far. I can either not play it, and leave the bitter taste in my mouth, or ask questions (even if they seem like LFS Fanboyism) to cure my problems and get a working sim. Unfortunately you are the knowledgable people I have to ask, and so my fanboyism (if such a thing exists) is perpetuated. Anyway, better to ask a question and appear a fool for a minute, than to keep quiet and look a fool for life.

@James - you don't have the basics of driving sorted in LFS. You're not just slower, you have flies on the back of your helmet. I refuse to beleive that anyone who can drive in RBR etc can be so bad in LFS, thus I form the opinion that your poor driving (you make up for it in other areas, otherwise I wouldn't have stayed in your team for so long) is sim wide. Thus (again) I can take no advice on physics from you. You proclaimed GTL was awesome (wrong). You've done it for other things. I think you do it mainly to let people know you are on beta-test teams (though I can't see why, as all the games I know you've betatested have been the buggiest).
Quote from tristancliffe :Read it. But can't remember it in game. Alt-Tab just breaks it, and I have to ctrl-alt-del out of RBR.

ever tried a printer or a sheet of paper? works wonders from time to time
#257 - Don
Quote from deggis :I'm I hearing braking squeaks? What sound mod?

brake squeaks are fake, added in premiere
I never thought about upgrading anything since i first purchase my copy of RBR, i got no lag whatsoever, however I do remember i was a bit surprised that you can't use mouse in the menus and you have to click a lot of times just to confirm something, however it's okay out of the box.

you can hear the tires lock in RBR, the tires sounds like they are digging into the gravel instead of running over it when it locked, which is quite disturbing at times.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Quote from tristancliffe :I've not reached the scary stages of adding custom cars, because it's not really clear how - I think I have to use a DATtool, and replace existing cars

well thats a lie - because it's really easy (you download the file... and then look in the readme! you just replace a folder with the new car, and add a few lines (that it supplies) to cars.ini and maybe a few textures and your done!)
Alritey!
Got my first podium place today on British rally (3rd place, no rain on any SS) with championship difficulty and realistic damage. Next stop: world champion, here I come!
Ok can someone please tell me why I CAN'T use my 06 Impreza in any of the tournaments, I also only get 4 cars to chose from, pretty sux, im guessing that's because I havn't unlocked them all but the 06 Impreza just takes over from the 03 one, so I should get that, right?
Just create a profile called MULLIGATAWNY (hope I wrote it right ), and there you go =)
Quote from Bawbag :Ok can someone please tell me why I CAN'T use my 06 Impreza in any of the tournaments, I also only get 4 cars to chose from, pretty sux, im guessing that's because I havn't unlocked them all but the 06 Impreza just takes over from the 03 one, so I should get that, right?

06 one should (if installed correctly with the proper entry in cars.ini, although you could make it replace another car by accident) replace the 03 one, and you shouldnt be able to drive the 03 at all
In the tournaments.....IE Online, it works fine in SP when I chose the 06 Impreza...Jak is to quick to post his thoughts me thinks! illepall

Btw, I put int he cheat and still don't get the option to use it with online tournaments :S

I expected it to work with Dons touraments as I saw someone else who had used the 06 Scoob, hmmmm???
I must say, I've tried some setup packs and now I don't find France half as bad anymore. Though, it's very easy to total your car there (well, atleast I do frequently), because that tarmac is just too tempting and I go way too fast, and then it bites back hard.
I hate how I can be having a perfect run, and then one slight mistake makes me hit a tree or rock and then "sounds like the gearbox is out"...press esc to retire. :/ so frustrating!
Quote from NetDemon01 :I hate how I can be having a perfect run, and then one slight mistake makes me hit a tree or rock and then "sounds like the gearbox is out"...press esc to retire. :/ so frustrating!

That's rallying.
In real life that small mistake can kill you.

It's really all about risk-control. Everyone can drive fast. But only the good ones can finish in every try and don't smash their cars to pieces. The french rally really teaches you that.

Vain
That was the mistake I made when first playing RBR, pushing too hard. I was constantly trying to go as fast as possible by pushing... soon figured out it didn't work like that. Aside from trashing your car, it doesn't get you anywhere fast
Just wanted to say that I'm out of the LFS rally. Followed the howto for that tournament-thingy step by step and it didn't work. So I'm off continueing my rally season in singleplayer.

Vain
Quote from AndroidXP :... because that tarmac is just too tempting and I go way too fast, and then it bites back hard.

I know what You are talking about, but maaan, it is so damn good when you take a 180° with handbrake in the right way, and you feel when you have to pedal to the metal, and you know that it will look great in the replay, and you go "oooooooooh yeaaaaaaaaaaaah ! *6th gear 150*
Finally! I managed to come through Joux Plane in one piece
Compared to those crazy WR's I'm still a slow roadblock (6:02 - WR is almost a minute faster), but I'm just happy I finally got through.
Quote from Vain :Just wanted to say that I'm out of the LFS rally. Followed the howto for that tournament-thingy step by step and it didn't work. So I'm off continueing my rally season in singleplayer.

Vain

I managed to get it quite ok and scene as I don't wanna be up all night playing RBR, my wheel is so god damn loud when I counter steer, I wont be back on RBR untill tommorow. Anyway, do you want to add me on MSN and I could give you some help to get it working?

The online tournaments are so much better than racing the AI, and I htink we should have another LFS one soon, I'm getting bored joining public ones.

Well, it's easy. I followed the steps, the mod is correctly installed, it doesn't work. If there was something wrong I would fix that, but there isn't anything wrong. Not my fault.

... 10 seconds of work later.
Actually really not my fault. The mod didn't want to work with my msvcr80.dll (no error-messages or bug-log lines) and only worked with the msvcr80.dll that was included in the package. Definitely needs fixing.

Oh, and some rant about the US rally: I hate that one. It's the worst rally of all. I have to drive like a madman and go full risk to get my 5 speed Peugot around those stages at a reasonable sub-stagerecord time. I could barely defend my 9 points lead in the championship (difficulty "champion") after I stuffed the finnish one (tipped it over, lost over a minute, but managed to pull three stage-besttimes in the broken car, placing me in second).

Vain
The tournament sounds like fun, Don. I'll join it if I get around to install the add-on by the tournament deadline
Quote from Vain :Oh, and some rant about the US rally: I hate that one. It's the worst rally of all. I have to drive like a madman and go full risk to get my 5 speed Peugot around those stages at a reasonable sub-stagerecord time. I could barely defend my 9 points lead in the championship (difficulty "champion") after I stuffed the finnish one (tipped it over, lost over a minute, but managed to pull three stage-besttimes in the broken car, placing me in second).

Unmodded cars and physics? You're a loonie if that's the case, I can barely get into top 3 on a good day!

I like the US rally, though...

Richard Burns Rally
(1109 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG