The online racing simulator
Those should be alright, I'm using Noctua NF-F12 on my H100, but will replace them with Arctic F PWM CO whenever some are actually available..
Tickets to this badboy!

Quality venue, excellent lineup, this will be massive!
Jounrey.
Quote from jrd.racer :Do you skate in a park or on sidewalks? I really love roller blading but there is simply nowhere to do it out here.

I skate everywhere - parks, streets, rails, ledges...
Where do you live?
These knee-caps really helped this weekend in Inline Cup.
I can normally walk
Quote from Yuri Laszlo :Jounrey.

Lol its OK it has been noticed, thats the early version of the flyer, the finished and printed ones that are being handed out have been corrected, i just couldnt find a screen shot of the newer one.
Two of these:

Must have bad luck... It's the 3rd hard disk I buy.
NGK IRIDIUM IX - BKR8EIX x4
Quote from Impreza09 :pointless "Green edition"

Stop buying green editions. it's market talk for 5400rpm. How did you dispose of the other hard drives? recycle or thrown in the rubbish bin?
Quote from dadge :Stop buying green editions. it's market talk for 5400rpm.

No it's not.
Quote from PoVo :No it's not.

Yeah, it pretty much is. There are some ~5900rpm 'green' drives (e.g. the Htachi 5K3000 CoolSpin), but mostly 'green' just means somewhere between 5400-5900rpm with significant penalties in sequential and, particularly, random performance (compared to similar platter drives at ~7200rpm) with practically no real reduction in energy usage. Seagate announced they were going to stop selling 'green' drives for those reasons. When there used to be a large price difference between 'normal' and 'green' drives they made more sense, but recently the prices have started to converge, so they're making less and less sense. I own a number of 'green' drives, btw, bought in the last couple of years. Incidentally, I had a number of failures on 1.5TB WD Greens and I finally got an upgrade to a 1.5TB WD Black free of charge because of the incredibly high failure rate for that generation of 'green' drives.
green drives are way way quieter
plenty of reason to buy them
Quote from Shotglass :green drives are way way quieter
plenty of reason to buy them

because they are way slower. If you have a component that is louder than the hdd (chassis fan) then what's the point in having a quieter hdd?
If you want a quiet hdd, go solid state. moving parts make noise.
Hmmm? It's a 7400 rpm. There were three models, blue red and green. But only green were available... I dont really get what the colours mean. What I know is that my old hard disk had 5200 approx, and this is much faster.
I haven't looked at the price difference, but I think the 5400 drivers should be cheaper.

Anyway, I guess it depends on what you want to do with the drive, if it's just for storing music / videos etc. than a slower drive is just fine. If you need performance you should get a faster one. Btw, don't most consumer notebooks come with a 5400 rpm drive? (At least mine did)
"Green" drives are cheaper per capacity. That's why I buy them unless something else is necessarily, like if I plan to put them in a RAID for a server, which can work bad on cheaper disks that aren't made for it. Unless I want performance, a green drive is fine enough. If I want performance, I'd buy a smaller and faster drive.

This is some of the stuff I bought last weekend.

Edit: The "Free hugs" fan came with as free if I bought for over NOK200, so not sure if that counts.
Attached images
IMG_2215.JPG
WP_000149.jpg
WP_000158.jpg
WP_000160.jpg
WP_000147.jpg
Quote from Ni-san :
This is some if the stuff I bought last weekend. (attachmnents)

Are you female by any chance?
Quote from Ni-san :Nice try, but no.

Why all the Sailor Moon, Handbag and Pink Dinosaurs laughing at the moon stuff then? Don't take it personal, it just looks like something my 14 year old niece would buy...
Quote from jibber :Why all the Sailor Moon, Handbag and Pink Dinosaurs laughing at the moon stuff then? Don't take it personal, it just looks like something my 14 year old niece would buy...

I bought the Hatsune Miku phone case because I like Miku and the case seemed well made. The bag is more practical in a crowded area than a huge backpack. The T-shirt is from the anime convention I've been at, and I thought I needed that as a souvenir. And I know I can be a bit childish sometimes :P
Attached images
540648_10151052910335937_1416048194_n.jpg
WP_000157.jpg
Quote from Impreza09 :Hmmm? It's a 7400 rpm. There were three models, blue red and green. But only green were available... I dont really get what the colours mean. What I know is that my old hard disk had 5200 approx, and this is much faster.

A typo there on the 7400rpm, I can only assume. Current generation 'green' drives will be faster than older 'performance' (e.g. 7200rpm, 10000rpm) drives because of improvements in areal density and caching. However, a 'green' drive and a 'performance' drive from the same generation and with the same or similar platters and caching will be slower due to the difference in rotation speed.

Quote from three_jump :I haven't looked at the price difference, but I think the 5400 drivers should be cheaper.

Anyway, I guess it depends on what you want to do with the drive, if it's just for storing music / videos etc. than a slower drive is just fine. If you need performance you should get a faster one. Btw, don't most consumer notebooks come with a 5400 rpm drive? (At least mine did)

Quote from Ni-san :"Green" drives are cheaper per capacity. That's why I buy them unless something else is necessarily, like if I plan to put them in a RAID for a server, which can work bad on cheaper disks that aren't made for it. Unless I want performance, a green drive is fine enough. If I want performance, I'd buy a smaller and faster drive.

There used to be a much larger gap in price between 'green' and 'performance' drives. For example, when I bought some Hitachi 5K3000 'green' drives they were a little over £60, with the closest 'performance' drives being around £85-90. When there's such a large gap between them the case for 'green' drives was much stronger (as I noted earlier). However, in the last year or so, the gap between them has closed. For example, a WD 3TB Caviar Green is currently £133.92 versus a WD 3TB Black on £147.84. It's also worth noting there that the Black drive has a 5 year warranty versus the 2 years on the Green. The difference between Seagate drives is under £1 at the moment for 2TB capacity: 'green' vs 'performance'. If all the drive needs to do is to supply long-term storage then you might still feel it's worth the slight cost reduction, but the gap between 'green' and 'performance' generally isn't as large as it used to be.
Quote from dadge :because they are way slower.

yeah clearly a drive that does ~100mb sequential reads and ~70mb sequential writes (random access is ridiculously slow no matter how fast the drive spins) is way too slow to handle the usual purpose of a large drive ie saving large amounts of data like photo collections

Quote :If you have a component that is louder than the hdd (chassis fan) then what's the point in having a quieter hdd?

none of my computers including my gaming rig have fans that are loud enough to drown out hdd noise (all of theose hdds are sitting on rubber and all of them are 5400 rpm drives and i can still hear all the 3.5" ones)
the only exception would be the notebook which while playing games has a decent amount of fan noise... while using it for (flash free) internet surfing the fan is completely off and the only thing (clearly) audible (used to be) the hdd

Quote :If you want a quiet hdd, go solid state. moving parts make noise.

which is still 10-15 times more expensive so its far from viable as a large storage solution (obviously all my system drives are ssds these days with the exception of my htpc/silent-desktop for which i have the ssd lying around but lack the time to install it)

Post your Last Purchase!
(7003 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG