The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
that is v6. dont forget,for example a vw vr6 isnt rly a v6 engine,so prolly kinda same setup.
sam: if u will do that dont make 4x4 it will be just slower,coz al the extra weight with axles,transfercase,front diff,small driveshaft etc. make it rwd
Quote from brt900 ::P id go for the skyline maybe an r33 or r32

R33 or R34 would be my choice. I can't stand R32 lol. I've had an R34 before, but it was a non turbo, and my mates got a turbo R33, insane.
Quote from Jakg :
EGR Bypass

Jack,

Can you explain why this was done? What benefits are reduced economy and increased emissions?
Reduced economy? Haven't heard that one before. Only ever seen reports of improvements (when used with other things) or similar results.

Slightly increased performance (although very very little).

Less restriction in the pipe.

Original EGR after 40k miles without cleaning, bypass on the right...

Large thread on the subject here. General results are inconclusive, so I bought one to try it - economy is the same (although in general my economy is poor due to a failing thermostat) and performance is slightly better.

Increased emissions are true - but I find it unlikely that bothers me or you.

At the end of the day it seems stupid that my diesel spits out loads of shit... which is then fed back into the engine again.

EDIT - And of course the crap that goes into the EGR is hot, which is warming up the air the engine receives.
Quote from nism0 :R33 or R34 would be my choice. I can't stand R32 lol. I've had an R34 before, but it was a non turbo, and my mates got a turbo R33, insane.

What are the specs on the FD?
Reduced economy - yes. Instead of recirculating the exhaust gasses and burning those (a bit) for power, you just burn fresh fuel. So you must use more of it.

Increased performance - no. EGR only works at partial throttles, so if you want more go you just open the throttle a bit. EGR does not change the full throttle performance of the car, and hence does not change the overall performance of the car.

Increased emissions - yes. Instead of having a go at burning some of the exhaust gasses again (and allowing them to combine in the combustion chamber into other molecules) you just vent them out of the exhaust as they are. You are right that this doesn't really bother me as I don't believe that humans are a massive cause of climate change, and I know we have plenty of oil to go - more than ever in fact.

EGR is a good thing. Removing it is stupid, although I will grant you that your original unit (if that pic is actually of your old EGR unit) is in need of a decoke and clean.

How does a failing thermostat decrease economy?
Quote from tristancliffe :EGR is a good thing. Removing it is stupid, although I will grant you that your original unit (if that pic is actually of your old EGR unit) is in need of a decoke and clean.

Agree 100%.

EGR removal is almost akin to diesel "chip tuning" (don't even get me going on this, had one on my old Mondeo, under the impression it did what it said on the tin, all it did was fill the ECU with overfuel warnings and **** the injectors up), most people do it without any knowledge of why or how.

Removing a perfectly servicable EGR valve for the reasons of "performance" or "increased performance" is a bit mad, but there you go, plus, you MAY have issues come MOT time with emissions.

They can, and do give problems, but the problems occur when you don't drive the car properly, i.e. pottling around all the time at 2000rpm, or short journeys / sitting in traffic, as they can bung up with crap, a bit like the current crop of DPF's (big problems there), but if you drive like that, and don't give them a good blast once in a while, then you really shouldn't be driving a diesel.

Good post from the link Jak posted

Quote :So Much Garbage

I have never heard so much garbage talked on this forum about the EGR valve. I am so suprised that droves of R75 lemings are heading for the cliffs, based on half truths and miss-information, to the extent that they are removing a crucial bit of automotive design, in the mistaken belief it is costing them a few HP.

There seems to be this idea that the introduction of a small percentaqe of exhaust gases into the inducted air is going to increase the air temperature and not cool it, as Honest John & others have suggested.

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH AIR INTAKE TEMEPERATURE!

IT HAS ALL TO DO WITH COMBUSTION TEMPERATURES - IN THE CYLINDER!

It is a great pity the majority of forumites do not understand the chemistry of combustion in a diesel engine.

The fuel takes as much oxygen as it needs. At low revs there is a surplus of oxygen, such that the flame temperature starts increasing as the fuel/air mix gets more diluted. Ultimately, this produces Nitrogen Oxides (NOX), which are not only toxic , but are bad for the environment.

The introduction of exhaust gases, which are low in oxgen, dilute the oxygen in the cylinder, thus reducing the combustion temperatures.

The suggestion that turbo bearings etc can be affected by these increased temperatures is perfectly valid. Even exhaust valves could be at risk.

People have suggested that disabling the EGR doesn't affect the MOT emmisions. This is only because they are done at max revs, where most of the oxygen gets used up correctly, so it is low in NOX's

The other misconception is when the EGR valve actually operates. It is supposed to be closed at idle, otherwise there can be erratic idling, which I'm sure a few suffer from.
However under full acceleration (wide open throttle), it should NOT be open also. At cruising where the engine is operating more effeciently then the valve should open, as controlled by the ECU.

So it is quite possible that by removing the EGR, cruising fuel consumption could be compromised.

So why many people are prepared to pay good money for EGR by-pass tubes , for the sake of an indeterminate increaser in power is beyond me. Although I will accept that at wide open throttle, then the marginal restriction could lose a few HP- big deal.

Leave well alone, but clean reguarly.

Colin

Quote from tristancliffe :

BMW engine in my ZT is meant to run at 88°. A common problem (with the rather cheap plastic thermostat) is that it slowly deteriorates. At the moment after a long run my engine gets up to 79° at most. A replacement is rather cheap, but the part is impossibly located so i'm looking at a minimum of £200 to fit so i'm going to leave it for the time being.
Quote from tristancliffe :Increased performance - no. EGR only works at partial throttles, so if you want more go you just open the throttle a bit. EGR does not change the full throttle performance of the car, and hence does not change the overall performance of the car.

But I rarely use my car at WOT - performance at partial throttle is improved. A little pointless, yes, but helps a little with the rather rubbish flat spot before the turbo spools pulling away.
Quote from tristancliffe :EGR is a good thing. Removing it is stupid, although I will grant you that your original unit (if that pic is actually of your old EGR unit) is in need of a decoke and clean.

The picture is not of my EGR specifically, although that is from a ZT / 75. Mine wasn't quite so bad but was quite close.

Quote from danowat :you MAY have issues come MOT time with emissions.

AFAIK Diesels dont have the same emissions test as petrols - just a smoke test - you can get through an MOT with a decat on a diesel (although if an MOT tester knew there was no cat you'd fail).
Quote from tristancliffe :Reduced economy - yes. Instead of recirculating the exhaust gasses and burning those (a bit) for power, you just burn fresh fuel. So you must use more of it.

You've got me there - more research required.
Quote from Jakg :But I rarely use my car at WOT - performance at partial throttle is improved.

Huh?, how can you even judge partial throttle performance?

Jak, just leave the car standard.
Quote from Jakg :Buy a shit car and pimp it up? Trust me you'll get bored after a while.

Quote from Jakg :And I now have a new MG badge at the front, an EGR bypass under the bonnet and LED sidelights at the front - will be getting some HID's soon.

Quote from Jakg :Actually bought a set of 6000k HID's

I'll just leave this here...
Whilst I'd disagree that its a "shit" car, I can see your point
Honestly, what did you expect from a guy who called his car the p-wagon (or was it pimp wagon, pimp mobile? Batman?)?
Quote from pb32000 :...

I'll just leave this here...

My point was if you have a shit car, you can change bits of it and give it a little more power, a little more grip etc, but at the end of the day without a stupid amount of money you'll never get away from it's underpinnings.

Yes i'm "pimping" my car up because I dare to try to improve it (:really but I am not trying to escape the basics of the car, like Sam is trying to pimp out a Van...
Quote from Jakg :My point was if you have a shit car, you can change bits of it and give it a little more power, a little more grip etc, but at the end of the day without a stupid amount of money you'll never get away from it's underpinnings.

Yes i'm "pimping" my car up because I dare to try to improve it (:really but I am not trying to escape the basics of the car, like Sam is trying to pimp out a Van...

Good luck. If you do pick everything you do to the outside with a fine tooth cone,a lot of people mess Rovers up when trying to make them look better. At the end of the day though, they are stereotyped as old people cars.

Best Rover I've seen is this... Only Rover I actually like.
Pic1
Pic2
Pic3
Pic4
Pic5

Thats if you are thinking of doing anything to the outside, but his engine iirc isnt standardish.

My van I'm thinking of getting rid of. Ran a few insurance quotes and I can insure a 205 GTI 1.6/9, BMW 316i Coupe, 106 GTI or some Vag diesels. Just getting some money saved up and which one to get. I have a big soft spot for a 205 and although they can get bad lift off oversteer, they still handle very well.
Quote from sam93 :Good luck. If you do pick everything you do to the outside with a fine tooth cone,a lot of people mess Rovers up when trying to make them look better. At the end of the day though, they are stereotyped as old people cars.

...for the last time, it's not a Rover.

I can get a body kit for my car but it really looks out of place. Only mod i'd ever consider would be a Laguna diffuser as per here or the OEM spoiler like this if I ever found one cheap. That and paint the calipers a nice trophy blue...
Quote from Jakg :...for the last time, it's not a Rover.

I can get a body kit for my car but it really looks out of place. Only mod i'd ever consider would be a Laguna diffuser as per here or the OEM spoiler like this if I ever found one cheap. That and paint the calipers a nice trophy blue...

LOL, it is a Rover!!!!, albeit a Rover in a dress, but its still a Rover!.

As for those "mods", can I hear a RRRRRIIIIICCCCEEE!!!
Yup, pure rice. But I dont care!

And it may be based off a Rover, but the badge on the front says otherwise
So if I stick a Ferrari badge on the front of my Mazda its a Ferrari?, BONUS!!!!
Yup, gives you 50 BHP too.
Only 50bhp?, maybe if I remove my EGR and get a tuning box, I can get another 50, plus an extra 20mpg .

Off to ebay for me...........
Quote from Jakg :...for the last time, it's not a Rover.

That bodykit looks well out of place. Lagune front splitter looks good on any car really.

Oh, and it is a Rover 75. MG have just took it and tarted it up a little.
Quote from sam93 :Oh, and it is a Rover 75. MG have just took it and tarted it up a little.

Well yeah and no. Body shell and the engine is the same, but the suspension wheels and seats are all quite a bit different...
summer wheels

Attached images
b.jpg
Quote from Jakg :Well yeah and no. Body shell and the engine is the same, but the suspension wheels and seats are all quite a bit different...

I was always sure the engine was 'improved' on the Rover 75s motor.
Nope, has the same M47R engine in both cars, originally from a 320D. Slightly detuned to 115 BHP, though, which they later boosted up slightly to 135 BHP as a factory option.

Steering rack is also different, as are the trim levels while I remember...
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG