The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
Quote from BigPeBe :Not a sleeper with the stock performance at least. Maybe somewhat sporty but doesn't count as a sleeper at least not in my mind.

Of course it does, any ratty German car is a sleeper, because it will have exactly the same performance as when was new. A sleeper is basically a car that has it's performance under-estimated by looks alone. If it goes better than it looks/looked when new. It's a sleeper.
Quote from BlueFlame :any ratty German car is a sleeper, because it will have exactly the same performance as when was new.

Except, it wont.

I wouldn't call standard 1.8 Audi a "sleeper"...
Quote from Jakg :Except, it wont.

I wouldn't call standard 1.8 Audi a "sleeper"...

1.8t A4 debadged, people will assume is a TDi and TDi itself is underrated as people see diesels and shitty and slow, which automatically makes all TDi's sleepers.

A sleeper is a subtle looking car that's actuall quick and mechanically sound, what's hard to understand that a A4 is a sleeper? They are quick. Quicker than your average saloon car of the same period.

The fact you people seem to see an A4 as an ordinary/mediocre car is EXACTLY the reason why it's a sleeper because it will catch you napping. Hence the term.

Sleeper, people think is to do with what is under your hood, but if you guy burnt by a guy at the lights, you'll never know what's under his hood, hence why anything stock can be a sleeper. If you're not expecting it to be quick, it's a sleeper.
Quote from BlueFlame :If you're not expecting it to be quick, it's a sleeper.

Thats right, and for that reason i'm afraid of a friend's 1.0 VW Lupo.
Quote from speedway :Thats right, and for that reason i'm afraid of a friend's 1.0 VW Lupo.

And you should be!
Desperately tried to find the video I seen a few months ago.

Was a skoda meet on an airfield, had some tuned VRs's n stuff, 3 or 4 of them lined up and done a drag race, some octavia estate can be seen for all of the first half a second before it's completely out of shot.

Originally just a 1.8t 4x4 estate, now I think it had the BAM (225bhp) engine and turbo, tuned over 300bhp...looked standard apart from VR's wheels.

Pro sleeper.
Quote from BlueFlame :which automatically makes all TDi's sleepers.

You've lost it.
Quote from BlueFlame :The fact you people seem to see an A4 as an ordinary/mediocre car is EXACTLY the reason why it's a sleeper because it will catch you napping. Hence the term.

Except, it IS an "ordinary/mediocre car"!
Quote from doyal :This thread has gone to the dogs!

Strange one for you guys (brits) What car would you buy for £1,500 to be a "bike slag"

This will be to transport 1-2 mountain bikes on roof bars anywhere in the country

Petrol or diesel is not an issue, as I only do about 8k miles a year.

needs to be around insurance group 15 max.

This is my short list so far:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/cl ... d/advert/201148432346214/

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/cl ... d/advert/201201439242692/

why buy so new ?? ive seen alot of older touring 5 serise in prestine condition, with leather interior and bigger engines to boot, if you can class it as commercial its cheaper to tax + insure... worked the diff and... try drive sideways ? ( plus room for bikes tykes and extra alloys... )
Quote from Jakg :You've lost it.
Except, it IS an "ordinary/mediocre car"!

You don't need 1000hp for it to be a sleeper.
any car that looks slower than it actually is could be called a sleeper. I agree with BlueFlame. You don't need a Lamborghini V-12 in a mini for a car to be a sleeper.
while that might be true, i would rather call my car a Snail. a crappy 4dr civic can beat it. it does need some work.. lol

BUT

It still is better than a civic.

Met up with some local 106 owners.

Quote from el pibe :It still is better than a civic.

Everything is better than a Civic, actually.

@Gino, nice ride.
What do you call a car that looks like it goes fast but is really not?

I failed to beat a new Audi A4 2.0T in my 944. Dead even up to about 90mph.
Makes me sad to think that I cannot even beat a little A4. At least I get good gas mileage.
Quote from skstibi :What do you call a car that looks like it goes fast but is really not?

Makes me sad to think that I cannot even beat a little A4. At least I get good gas mileage.

What did you expect from an engine that's turbocharged, has double the valves yours has and is at least 10 years younger?
Thanks guys.
Quote from dadge :any car that looks slower than it actually is could be called a sleeper. I agree with BlueFlame. You don't need a Lamborghini V-12 in a mini for a car to be a sleeper.

Quite. I guess over the years the true meaning of a sleeper has become warped due to the ammount of tuning that's common these days, back in the day you'd be lucky if you could afford a K&N Airfilter and some BBS splits.
lol; good BBS splits (even in gay sizes) go for 1200€ plus.... I wouldn't call that affordable...
Quote from Scrabby :lol; good BBS splits (even in gay sizes) go for 1200€ plus.... I wouldn't call that affordable...

I meant, FAKE BBS splits.
Quote from skstibi :What do you call a car that looks like it goes fast but is really not?

If it makes you any happier, your bigger brother (944 turbo) did keep up/beat quite a few nice cars when it was still in my hands... 348tb, s2000, imprezas, 911's, etc. A little A4 would have been the equivalent of a light afternoon snack inbetween those "meals"...

PS: @ghino: Hello kitty pillow is a nice touch.
Just traded my very sensible Golf GTTDI in for a lot less sensible and hopefully more exciting Nissan 350Z. Pics to follow!
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG