The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
There's "mountain pass" races (historical races). Also, there's a karting track near me which once was (and maybe still is) the biggest karting track in europe.

And i believe that Schumacher probably had to pay quite a lot to buy a house in switzerland as a foreigner. If i'm not mistaken, it is very hard to even get a permit if you're not swiss.
I've setup a (very simple, mind :razz page for my car's restoration, regularly updated as I work on it RSS feed at the top if you want to keep up to date, I update the feed as I add new posts.

Rob's Mini Project
Quote from jibber :In Europe, yes. In switzerland, nope.

Track racing in switzerland is forbidden since quite a few years. They wanted to revoke the law about two years ago, but it didn't pass.

The nearest track for me is the "cirquit du laquais" in france, which is about a five hours drive from where i live. I'll go there someday when i find the time and money... was good fun in the MX-5 i had once.

How is the oil consumption of the S2k on the race track by the way?

Wow, I never knew that. Is it for environmental concerns?

There is oil consumption but it's not that bad as long as you check the oil about once every 200 miles. Even the car's manual tells you to check the oil every time you fill it up with gas. Oil consumption is normal for the S2000's high revving engine.

You said you have an S2000 too? I am thinking about getting one of the new Miatas (2009-2010).
Awesome Mini!
A few years ago Switzerland had a big green party campaign who convinced alot of the Swiss public that they were loosing a huge amount of their forests (something like the area of Belguim) and that cars were to blame. Even though most of this was unfounded it's had a big effect on Swiss car policy...
I believe internal combustion cars should be reserved for the track only for car nuts like us and that everybody else (all the "normal" people) should drive electric vehicles. Leave the "real" cars for the people who truly love them! This is how it should be.

I think it's a waste for people who don't even enjoy cars as much as we do to drive internal combustion cars and to waste so much of the earth's fuel. Ideally, everybody else should drive electric cars. The average person won't give a hoot about what their car sounds like, for example. They just use the car to get from point A to B.

This way, car manufacturers could focus designing gasoline cars for the track/high performance/sports car industry too. I'm not sure if this idea is the best from a business/financial perspective, but it sure makes sense for the car lovers who don't want to see the end of the internal combustion engine! If gasoline vehicles are to be permitted only in limited quantities due to pollution and lack of resources, it just simply makes sense to reserve them for the people who need/desire them most, instead of being "wasted" on all the people who don't even know about performance driving.

Imagine having to drive on the track with 1 gear, no clutch, and nothing but the electric motor buzzing. No more shifting, no more downshifting/heel-toe, How boring!
And where does electricity come from?

Besides, we have more fossil fuel reserves than they want us to think. That way they can hoard the prices. I doubt we'll run out in the lifetime of anyone of this forum, at least not till we're far into retirement and too old to go out looking for a twisted ribbon of perfection..
Quote from kingcars :My car: 1988 Thunderbird 5.0 Sport

155hp 5.0 V8........

5.0 V8 and 155 hp? Is this a type error? A regular 2.0 4 cil has the same hp.
Quote from buntatofu86 :Wow, I never knew that. Is it for environmental concerns?

There is oil consumption but it's not that bad as long as you check the oil about once every 200 miles. Even the car's manual tells you to check the oil every time you fill it up with gas. Oil consumption is normal for the S2000's high revving engine.

You said you have an S2000 too? I am thinking about getting one of the new Miatas (2009-2010).

Yes, it's environmental concerns basically. It's also plain politics... the swiss governemt thinks that it would be the "wrong move / sign" from switzerland (in the eyes of the rest of the world) to allow cirquit racing again, now in a time of "global warming" etc.

I remember going to a track with an 1998 miata (1.8L engine) a few years back. The car never used a lot of oil, but after a day on the track and keeping it in high revs all the time, the oil level had dropped to "low" when i checked. And since i've heard that the S2k engine can drink quite a bit of oil, i thought it would be interesting to know how it is on a race track.

Are you planning to sell the S2k for the miata? I've heard the new models are even better, but i doubt it very much that you'll be satisfied after the S2k... but maybe as a daily driver...

I have an S2k (year 01, 60'000km) since a little more than a week now. It's everything i missed from the MX-5, and lots more! I love it!

I only managed to take one picture so far... driving the car is simply too much fun for stopping and taking pictures...

It's completely stock and will stay like that.
Attached images
S2000_01.jpg
Quote from jamesc :5.0 V8 and 155 hp? Is this a type error? A regular 2.0 4 cil has the same hp.

Keep reading the post...it's making a lot more than that now. But yes, back in the 80s when all the emissions regulations were really coming into play, companies were having a hard time making horsepower. The 5.0 Mustang of the same year was the first car to really become "fast" again, putting out 225hp and running mid/low 14 1/4 mile times stock for a cheap price. Since Ford couldn't have the Tbird outmuscling the Mustang, they choked the engine up with a horrible cam, restrictive heads and intake, and a different computer, putting it down to 155hp. Look back at horsepower ratings in the 70s and 80s...it was normal. Heck, there are 400ci+ big blocks at times only putting out ~175hp. It was a completely different time when those were built...you simply can't compare them to the stuff we have today, after 15-20 years of technology advancement.

And a funny thing to note to all the 4cyl/import lovers out there...with a stock 225hp Mustang 5.0 and an automatic, my Tbird got 22-24mpg city and 28-30mpg hwy; the best ever was a 3 hour highway trip where it got an amazing 33mpg...yes, we're talking about an old american V8 here.
Quote from jamesc :5.0 V8 and 155 hp? Is this a type error? A regular 2.0 4 cil has the same hp.

Why does everybody think that V8 have 9999999hp's?

Quote from Scrabby :Why does everybody think that V8 have 9999999hp's?

Especially stock V8s from the 80s! They were horrible!

The 225hp 1988 5.0 Mustang walked all over the Corvette of the same era...

Doesn't matter though...the same 5.0 engine with a few mods now has my car ready to put down 250rwhp/310rwtq...cant wait to hit the dyno again.
Quote from kingcars :Keep reading the post...it's making a lot more than that now. But yes, back in the 80s when all the emissions regulations were really coming into play, companies were having a hard time making horsepower. The 5.0 Mustang of the same year was the first car to really become "fast" again, putting out 225hp and running mid/low 14 1/4 mile times stock for a cheap price. Since Ford couldn't have the Tbird outmuscling the Mustang, they choked the engine up with a horrible cam, restrictive heads and intake, and a different computer, putting it down to 155hp. Look back at horsepower ratings in the 70s and 80s...it was normal. Heck, there are 400ci+ big blocks at times only putting out ~175hp. It was a completely different time when those were built...you simply can't compare them to the stuff we have today, after 15-20 years of technology advancement.

here.

back in the 80's my little Toyota 4AGE 16valve made 110-130hp from a 1.6l 4cly engine lol, wasnt that companys couldnt build engines it was ford imo:P

you car sounds good tho
Quote from kingcars :Especially stock V8s from the 80s! They were horrible!

The 225hp 1988 5.0 Mustang walked all over the Corvette of the same era...

Doesn't matter though...the same 5.0 engine with a few mods now has my car ready to put down 250rwhp/310rwtq...cant wait to hit the dyno again.

To be fair you can get 250rwhp and 450rwtq from a 3L diesel. Shove that in your gas guzzling V8 and get smoked!
watch him take that as a serious dig or something! chillax people!
To be fair you can get 8000rwhp from a 8.4L V8 on 90% nitromethane 10% methanol. Shove that in your diesel sucking 3L and get smoked!
Hi
Id like to see you drive that anywhere Maybe in a straight line, but not your average joe can handle antying over 4-600bhp
Quote from G!NhO :To be fair you can get 8000rwhp from a 8.4L V8 on 90% nitromethane 10% methanol. Shove that in your diesel sucking 3L and get smoked!
Hi

Very useful too.

Why defend a 5 liter car which puts out 250 HP, it's pretty pathetic tbh. Even for an old car.

Get a Prius, it's less rediculous.
Quote from G!NhO :To be fair you can get 8000rwhp from a 8.4L V8 on 90% nitromethane 10% methanol. Shove that in your diesel sucking 3L and get smoked!
Hi

Plus you need to rebuild it after 2 drags and what's more it's veryy impractical for every day use..
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Plus you need to rebuild it after 2 drags and what's more it's veryy impractical for every day use..

Did i say you can use it everyday?

I was just saying you could get ALOT of hp from a V8 if you want.
you can also get a lot from girls. some if it you would not want though.

more on topic:
only a few hp in relation to the massive displacement, especially in older engines, is not uncommon for american cars. at least that's what i experienced. yay.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :To be fair you can get 250rwhp and 450rwtq from a 3L diesel. Shove that in your gas guzzling V8 and get smoked!
watch him take that as a serious dig or something! chillax people!

Don't forget that the 3L diesel you mentioned isn't N/A

Quote from Jakg :A few years ago Switzerland had a big green party campaign who convinced alot of the Swiss public that they were loosing a huge amount of their forests (something like the area of Belgium) and that cars were to blame. Even though most of this was unfounded it's had a big effect on Swiss car policy...

Belgium is almost as big as Switzerland.
Lol, we have a country that is as big as my invaded country?
Well on friday the 12th i picked up my Dream car,

Its Amazing,

Love it,

Quote from S14 DRIFT :And where does electricity come from?

Besides, we have more fossil fuel reserves than they want us to think. That way they can hoard the prices. I doubt we'll run out in the lifetime of anyone of this forum, at least not till we're far into retirement and too old to go out looking for a twisted ribbon of perfection..

Yea. You've got some good points. But what I think we might see in our lifetime, is the end of manufacturers making gasoline vehicles, not due to the shortage of gasoline, but for emissions purposes. I am hearing more and more about future models using alternative power sources. It's good for the environment, and for the masses, but comes at a loss for those of use who still love gasoline engines.

jibber, I really like your picture! Have fun with her!

Zdenek, thanks!

And congratulations philipac! She looks nice! Yellow is a great color. It looks like a 2009 model, am I right? Is that the 2.0 or 2.2 engine? The 2.2s in the US have gold lettering on the valve cover. Oh, and I've always wondered what the thing in front of the head light is. Do you know what they are for? I am very curious. Thanks!
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG