The online racing simulator
I want it to be good because it sounds like "Fanny Tech", which is what I want to be when I grow up.
#77 - Jakg
Quote from Luke.S :And from Jakg's post it may not work on 64-bit Vista cause he needs to install a 32-bit os.<<Thats the fanetec wheel.

They say that 64-bit drivers come in Q1 2008, but that they aren't here yet. Whether they work in 64-bit OS's or not i'm not sure, though.

Can you PLEASE stop trying to pick holes at this wheel? By your logic the X-Fi range was shite until about 3-months ago when the finally got some proper 64-bit drivers out...

Still not here
Quote : ................ And from Jakg's post it may not work on 64-bit Vista cause he needs to install a 32-bit os.<<Thats the fanetec wheel.

Hmm can you pick any hardware that worked properly when it was tested ??. Thats why the call it a Beta Test. And drivers for a 64bit OS are always later then then 32bit OS.

Why you need to put things down while there isnt any review availble ?. I just dont get that. I consider it for all a good thing generally wheter ist good or bad. There finally another wheel to give to G25 some competetion. Wich is always good for the price of it, generally it will drop the price. Wheter its good or bad.
Quote from Jertje :I think some people are just a bit worried that they've spent quite a sum of money on a (great) unique product in the market in terms of price/performance, and now there's a competitor entering the market which has some improvements to offer, but also seemingly a couple of flaws (which are attacked heavily in turn). Is it just cognitive dissonance and is everyone suddenly trying to justify their purchase of the G25? I really don't see a reason for people to attack a wheel they haven't touched yet.

Perhaps I shouldn't get involved anyway, since I'm a happy cheapskate with a DF :P

Exactly my thoughts! I wasnt going to say anything as i figured i would have been eaten alive by those who have a G25.
*chomp* *chomp*
Bleh, stringy
Quote from mcintyrej :One thing this Fanatec will stop though is people bragging about their G25, if it turns out better.

[S<D<T]Mike[FANATECPORSCHE911WHEEL] has left the pits
[S<D<T]Mike[FANATECPORSCHE911WHEEL] : ooh, I forgot to plug in my Fanatec Porsche 911 Wheel
[S<D<T]Mike[FANATECPORSCHE911WHEEL] : I have a Fanatec Porsche 911 Wheel, so much better than G25

I'd love to see people writing that instead of short "G25" in their nicknames....and license plates
Here new email arrived from fanatec;

Quote :Hello Community Testers,

we received your correct address data and your confirmation to participate in the community test of the Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo Wheel.
Now everything is fine and we can send you the wheel to your profile address.
Enjoy your time and thank you for your interest.

Kind Regards

Your 911 Wheel Team
www.911wheel.com

Boris Reither

So I think there about to send them off now. Time is running rather sort now for some decent testing.
You are very right that time is running short now. I guess the wheel will have to get some decent beating over the bumps of south city.

But on the other hand first units of G25 were breaking pretty early in hands of drifters that "abused" the motors, by using them all the time to their full potential. I will be still impressed if after 2 weeks wheel feels like new.
#84 - Jakg
Quote from niels1 :Here new email arrived from fanatec;

So I think there about to send them off now. Time is running rather sort now for some decent testing.

Got the email as well - can't wait!
They say they are sending me one as well... I thought this thread was only for impressions lol.
The naming convention particularly bothers me.

If this is a true 'enthusiast' wheel, why name it the 911 Turbo? Since the 996, the 911 Turbo has been a fairly tame car, and is not really that fast around a track. Too heavy, too safe, too complicated (AWD, faster 0-60 w/ automatic).

911 Turbo should appeal on a base level with kids, or people who know a little about cars. I.E. The Need For Speed crowd.

On naming alone, 911 GT3 (RSR) would have been much more directed to "our" market. But that would certainly put them off many of the mainstream guys who only care about hp numbers and 0-60 times.
i kinda thought "our" market would care about the performance of the wheel and not of the car its named after and has no relation to whatsoever
Quote from Shotglass :i kinda thought "our" market would care about the performance of the wheel and not of the car its named after and has no relation to whatsoever

i'm looking forward to trying the wheel, myself. i dont have a g25 to compare it to, so i'll just compare it to my DFP.
#89 - Jakg
Quote from srdsprinter :The naming convention particularly bothers me.

If this is a true 'enthusiast' wheel, why name it the 911 Turbo? Since the 996, the 911 Turbo has been a fairly tame car, and is not really that fast around a track. Too heavy, too safe, too complicated (AWD, faster 0-60 w/ automatic).

911 Turbo should appeal on a base level with kids, or people who know a little about cars. I.E. The Need For Speed crowd.

On naming alone, 911 GT3 (RSR) would have been much more directed to "our" market. But that would certainly put them off many of the mainstream guys who only care about hp numbers and 0-60 times.

Random Question - GT3 is a hardcore 911 NON-Turbo, right? As i understand it the GT2 is the hardcore version of the 911 WITH a turbo, yet no-one EVER talks about it and it's launch goes un-noticed.
I was pretty certain that NEITHER one had a turbo...
GT2 = Turbocharged RWD 911. Pretty crazy car.

GT3 = Ultimate 911 Track Car IMO. Normally Aspirated.

Shotglass has a good point, and I agree, may the best product win.

The 911 Turbo naming convention is just too much of a gimmick in my eyes.

Edit -> Jack, you're right, the GT2 is something of an ugly duckling, mainly because it isn't used for Porche Factory racing cars ATM. The GT3 is the basis of all the Cup and RSR racing derivative.

Both the GT2, GT3 absolutely Trounce the Turbo round a track, 996 versions especially.
What I've heard from Porsche enthusiasts is GT3<GT2<GT3-RS
Quote from Stang70Fastback :What I've heard from Porsche enthusiasts is GT3<GT2<GT3-RS

Well, this is true if you consider that the GT3 RS is the most hardcore car of the bunch, although the GT2 is the most powerful and maybe the fastest. A GT2 RS would be terrific!

The 911 Turbo is the fastest 911 that is usable without smashing your spine or ear drums: remember that the 911 was conceived as a sort of daily-usable sports car.
any other people on the north american continent get a confirmation letter?
maybe all the non fanatec 911 review posts should be moved to the other thread, since the original intent of this one was for reviews only?
Quote from Stang70Fastback :What I've heard from Porsche enthusiasts is GT3<GT2<GT3-RS

OMFG

CGT 7.32 min
GT2 7.33 min
Zonda F 7.33 min
Koenigsegg CCR 7.34 min
GT3RS 7.48 min
GT3 7.48 min
Z06 7.49 min
Turbo 7.52 min
FordGT 7.52 min
F430 F1 7.55 min
Audi R8 8.04 min
M3 E92 8.05 min
VW Golf V6 4 Motion 9.09 min

I dont know whether it was down to the way that lad setup the fanatec wheel in the video review, but did anyone else notice that when he moves the wheel, the wheel in LFS jumps and skits instead of moving smoothly? Down to LFS or down the wireless?

It seems like an "ok" wheel, but i am going to use that term VERY loosely until i hear a decent review.
Okay, first off let me say that I have ordered the 911 wheel and should be part of this initial customer (not beta tester) shipment, which hopefully will go out soon. I'll post my impressions after having paid full price (and with the ability to return it for a restocking fee should I not love it- and I better for that price!)

I chose to try it out over a G25 for several reasons:
-I want to get GT5 for the PS3, as well as try this wheel out on several PC sims, which I am very much a rookie at.
-The wireless was important to me since my PS3 will be in a different room (for example, the range now on the crappy M$ wheel for the 360 & Forza 2 is fine from my main AV rack to my racing seat room, and hopefully this will be too.)
-Also the lights on the buttons switch between PS3 mode and PC mode
-FFB is adjustable outside the game software, which is nice when you play a mix of console and PC games.

I also understand the G25 owners wanting this wheel to be lesser quality than their baby, however, I'm trying to keep an open mind. If I don't like this, it's going back and I'll move my console or try the G25 with a USB extender (although lag could be an issue there.)

The one thing that kills me so far is people trashing this wheel and especially shifter for "looking like a toy." Although I have not gotten mine yet in the flesh, it's ironic that I saw that YouTube video first the exact day I went ot the Washington, DC Auto Show. The Porsche booth had several open cars, including the 911s, where you could sit in, shift, use the pedals, etc.., on the real car. Since Fanatec says the wheel AND shifter(s) are finished in the same shop that stitches the same leather on the real deal Porsche's, I wanted to see what it looked like in the real car. Seeing that video, it looks identical. The shifter in the new Porsche's does look like it has that somewhat plastic-y silver finish with the leather knob, exactly like the Fanatec. The wheel looks the same as well.

So if the G25 feels more real for you, then you simply prefer that kind of wheel finish vs. what is in a real $100k Porsche. I'm not a Porsche fan-boy. I drive a BMW E46 M3 cabrio (and wish BMW Sauber would license an F1-style sim wheel instead, or an alcantara M3 wheel!) However, I do think the Fanatec in the video looks just like what's in the car, so maybe check the source before you label something toy-like. Peace, out.
That
an
Inverse
Lert's
Syndrome.
lol, indeed.

You'd think someone with an expensive car at least got some form of education to understand what paragraphs were all about
Quote from spankmeyer :That
an
Inverse
Lert's
Syndrome.

I think Lert's is just someone brainwashed by the government, to spread all weird stuff about the government, so they can check who would join him!!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG