The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13714 posts, closed, started )
If you pay attention the squeel is different at what level of grip you're at. Its very helpful to give you a better idea where you are in relation to the limit and how the car is going to react. Its exaggerated to help compensate for the lack of g forces.
well i just spent 10 mins in a mazda pactice trying to explain to an american the difference between when something is "a load of bollocks" and when its "the dog's bollocks". felt like i was robert carlysle in the 51st state with samuel l jackson
Quote from tinvek :well i just spent 10 mins in a mazda pactice trying to explain to an american the difference between when something is "a load of bollocks" and when its "the dog's bollocks". felt like i was robert carlysle in the 51st state with samuel l jackson

Hahaha, nice one
Quote from tinvek :well i just spent 10 mins in a mazda pactice trying to explain to an american the difference between when something is "a load of bollocks" and when its "the dog's bollocks". felt like i was robert carlysle in the 51st state with samuel l jackson

lol

I know the difference, although that probably comes from spending so much time here and having watched every episode of Top Gear.
Quote from DaveWS :Thanks for the suggestions regarding my stuttering issue guys. FTR I currently have v-sync off (I hate steering lag more than anything else in a sim) at have had the fps capped to 85 fps, which is perfect for testing / qualifying sessions.

I'll have to try the sound thing after the Easter break when I get back to my rig.

Before you do that, simply try lowering the gfx memory slider in-sim if you haven't already done so. That helped me (and many other people) to get rid of stutters. The default setting is too high for some of the tracks. 400-410 seems to be a good value on a 512MB card f.e.

And the skippy is pure awesomeness!

(I haven't driven it in a while, though, because I don't have enough time to commit to more than one series.)
there's an iRacing for the IPhone... now calles Race Wars
Driving Mazda is like jerking off to a picture of this really hot supermodel, which in theory should be all good and fun but you also happen to know that she used to be a dude...

Skippy while perhaps not being as sophisticated or have the perfect "aerodynamics", she is still plenty of fun to go around the "curves".
Quote from Crommi :Driving Mazda is like jerking off to a picture of this really hot supermodel, which in theory should be all good and fun but you also happen to know that she used to be a dude...

Skippy while perhaps not being as sophisticated or have the perfect "aerodynamics", she is still plenty of fun to go around the "curves".

ROFL... that made me laugh but I'm not really sure what you mean by the Mazda analogy! What picture did you jerk off to then realise it was a dude?
It just an analogy

What I ment about Mazda, it's fast openwheeler with some downforce, basically my favorite kind of car and I've tried hard to enjoy it... but just can't.
Quote from Crommi :It just an analogy

What I ment about Mazda, it's fast openwheeler with some downforce, basically my favorite kind of car and I've tried hard to enjoy it... but just can't.

Weird... I've grown to really like the car since I got it and it's probably my favourite in the game..... what don't you like about it the most?
Hey, a hot chick is a hot chick, no matter what she was before
Just went on to do a race but I think the member site is down, or at least it is for me.
That's good news indeed
yeah, i heard a lot of people asking for paypal. what;'s funny is some people don't see the pt of adding paypal because they are so caught up in hating iracing :P. Hopefully we get some interesting roadcars and tracks soon... my subscription runs out in august and money is tight...
Quote from Gabkicks :what;'s funny is some people don't see the pt of adding paypal because they are so caught up in hating iracing :P.

Perhaps actually they don't see how adding Paypal reduces the cost of iRacing, which is their issue with iRacing.

People don't hate things they don't know, not rationally anyway, so I'd suggest that what you think is people hating iRacing is actually them hating their inability to afford iRacing, or people resisting what they perceive as either a relatively expensive sim to play or a product that you effectively rent rather than purchase.

Hate iRacing? That's reserved for those who have tried it and simply don't connect with it, and that being the case and the matter being a subjective one, you can't force them to like it if they don't, or criticize them for it either.
I still will not be purchasing iRacing (over and over again) because after trying it, I can't justify why this sim should cost an endless amount of money, when there are a couple of sims out there that can offer just as much enjoyment for a fraction of the overall costs that iracing has.
Quote from SamH :Perhaps actually they don't see how adding Paypal reduces the cost of iRacing, which is their issue with iRacing.

People don't hate things they don't know, not rationally anyway, so I'd suggest that what you think is people hating iRacing is actually them hating their inability to afford iRacing, or people resisting what they perceive as either a relatively expensive sim to play or a product that you effectively rent rather than purchase.

Hate iRacing? That's reserved for those who have tried it and simply don't connect with it, and that being the case and the matter being a subjective one, you can't force them to like it if they don't, or criticize them for it either.

It's not that, but people just bashing iRacing and attacking it at every opportunity. the same people over and over again when they haven't bothered to try the game once. People can have their opinions, but having some validity to their opinions would be nice too.
Well, obviously people who criticize things without even trying them are idiots.

Those kind of people are easily ignored.
At least I am tempted to try it now with Paypal added.
Quote from The Moose :Well, obviously people who criticize things without even trying them are idiots.

Those kind of people are easily ignored.

On the opposite side are over-zealous fanboys who jump on anyone who crticizes their favorite product. Both groups are equally annoying.

Price is a valid concern, monthly fee itself isn't really an issue but the cost of additional content. This is true especially if you're planning to go forward in licence ladder after each season and do it on both Oval and Road series. But there's no need to hurry and one should race what they enjoy the most, hence I've gone back to Skippy and will probably run even next season with it which also happens to be very cheap since I don't need to buy new tracks over and over again.
FYeeeeeeeaaaaaa!

Ford is far from my favorite, but some more real cars finally!

Quote :
Mustang FR500S and Ford GT First to be Added

BEDFORD, MA (April 14, 2009) –iRacing.com Motorsport Simulations, LLC announced today that it is developing digital versions of a series of Ford competition cars for use in the iRacing simulation service.

The first two vehicles announced as part of this new digital line-up of Ford race cars are emblematic of Ford’s storied racing history, the Mustang and the Ford GT. iRacing engineers have begun the process of gathering the data necessary to produce digital duplicates of the Mustang FR500S and the Doran Ford GT-R.

“It seems fitting that among the first Fords we’ll produce are the current racing versions of a pair of 21st century production cars that trace their lineage back to the 1960s,” said Scott McKee, iRacing’s vice president of marketing. “The private Ford teams that campaign these cars in the American Le Mans Series GT2 class and Grand-Am’s Ford Racing Mustang Challenge will find the simulation a useful tool as they prepare for races, and all iRacing members will enjoy having these cars available for our own internet racing series, and the thousands of enthusiasts who are already iRacing members – including pros, amateurs and fans – will have a lot of fun competing in these cars when they are added into our sanctioned racing series.”

The Mustang FR500S is an assembly-line produced high-performance version of the legendary Ford model that is literally race-ready when it is delivered to a customer by any Ford dealer. With the exception of a roll cage and other safety equipment – added at a nearby facility – every FR500S rolled off the line at Ford’s AutoAlliance International assembly plant in Flat Rock, MI ready to race. Ford Racing Mustang Challenge competitors will find that six of the eight tracks on the 2009 schedule are already in the iRacing circuit inventory or currently under construction, including Homestead-Miami Speedway, Barber Motorsports Park, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Mosport International Raceway and Miller Motorsports Park.

"We at Ford Racing are proud that iRacing selected the FR500S as one of the first two Ford race cars to be available to its subscribers, said Jamie Allison, Manager, Ford Racing Performance Group. “Our guys here are determined to help iRacing make sure the car is as realistic as it can be. We're also excited to have the opportunity to hone our own FR500S driving skills online against the pros already racing the real thing. It should be fun,"

The Ford GT is an ultra-high performance road car inspired by Ford’s legendary four-time Le Mans-winning prototype sports-racing car from the 1960s. So it’s not surprising, and it’s totally appropriate, that someone would take this street car and prepare it for the race track. That’s exactly what veteran race car builder and team owner Kevin Doran has done. The Doran Ford GT-R is eligible for the Le Mans GT-2 class, and is currently doing battle with entries from Porsche, Ferrari and Aston Martin in the American Le Mans Series.

Good, I hope that with these cars they'll add a multi-class series to spice things up a bit and prevent the spread of the member base
That would be pretty great. I'd love to see 30 - 40 cars on the track at once. Its a bit lame to get to 20 cars and split the field (whatever the numbers are now). It gets boring running by yourself in the skippy, 20 more drivers on the track would liven it up, even if they weren't in the same car.
Quote from Crommi :
Price is a valid concern, monthly fee itself isn't really an issue but the cost of additional content. This is true especially if you're planning to go forward in licence ladder after each season and do it on both Oval and Road series. But there's no need to hurry ...

Have to agree, I would gladly pay this monthly fee, but additional cost for tracks and cars is rather too much for my pocket .
I wonder if Corvette and Ford GT will feature multi-class racing with weight ballast on faster car. But anyways, I'm not really a Ford fan but can't wait for those two!
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13714 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG