The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
at last I managed a 1.29.6 on Summit in the Solstice
Quote from StableX :at last I managed a 1.29.6 on Summit in the Solstice

nice

I'm currently at the stage where I'm reasonably fast, and very consistent, so I have what it takes to win a race again, and in a strong field, but not when there's an alien in there. Just now again, I finished 14 seconds behind an alien leader, and the 3rd place was 6-10 seconds after me or something. It makes for quite boring races, but I do get a lot of points for finishing 2nd in strong fields
Quote from Jertje :nice

I'm currently at the stage where I'm reasonably fast, and very consistent, so I have what it takes to win a race again, and in a strong field, but not when there's an alien in there. Just now again, I finished 14 seconds behind an alien leader, and the 3rd place was 6-10 seconds after me or something. It makes for quite boring races, but I do get a lot of points for finishing 2nd in strong fields

good job! I just got it down to 1.29.437
<rant>Boy, am I furious right now! I had such a great race at Summit Point, very even field, was stuck behind a guy for quite some time, couldn't get past, dropped back a bit due to one or two suboptimal laps, slowly caught up again, but wasn't fast enough to pass, had pressure form behind for most of the time -- so, overall a really exciting race, even if I wasn't able to pass anyone -- but then, after the finish line, just when I relax, this guy just stops right on the racing line! When I realize what's going on, I slam the brakes, try to avoid him by going off track, but too late! Made slight contact and receive 4 incident points. Probably the most unnecessary, inane 4 incident points I ever got.</rant>

Please ignore this post, there's nothing to see, just a guy and some anger management...
Bit stupid that you got incident points for an accident that was not even your fault, is there no way to appeal against it? I assume with the amount of money you have to pay that they would have a team of people employed to check that sort of stuff.
Bah, I am a few weeks at least behind you guys. Had my 1st win now though. Nearly had my 2nd but the game crashed whilst I was leading and in a comfortable lead. My SR went down to as low as 2.19 I think at one point learning the game. Managed to get it back up now to 2.60 but boy does it punish bad driving! When i first started (like 4-5 days ago) I was trying to drive like I do in LFS, i.e. as fast as possible. It simply doesn't work for this game, it's all about consistency. It has taught me more in a few days than LFS did in nearly 2 years! I now am at the stage where I almost never crash and if I do it is a small spin or touching the kerb. I suppose it really does help to train you how to drive for real, because no way in the world would I drive in real life like I drive in LFS
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Bit stupid that you got incident points for an accident that was not even your fault, is there no way to appeal against it? I assume with the amount of money you have to pay that they would have a team of people employed to check that sort of stuff.

Well, you can appeal, but I wouldn't wanna do that unless it's a very serious offense. I wouldn't categorize this one as such. In general, the system uses a "no fault assigned" policy. So, no matter who is at fault, incidents count against both drivers involved. I actually believe this system works, as 1) it evens out in the end. The reckless driver will always get more incident points in the end and eventaully will not be able to advance in the license ladder. And 2) I could have avoided that incident, if I hadn't relaxed after the race and thus had noticed earlier that he was stopping. I will think better next time, not to relax until I'm safely in the pits and the other guy probably won't stop in the middle of the track anymore after the race is fnished, because he got 4 points, as well, of course. So, it's unfortunate, but I think the system works.

@jason: Exactly, the system really teaches you clean consistent racing. That's part of what is so great about it.
Quote from jasonmatthews :Bah, I am a few weeks at least behind you guys. Had my 1st win now though. Nearly had my 2nd but the game crashed whilst I was leading and in a comfortable lead. My SR went down to as low as 2.19 I think at one point learning the game. Managed to get it back up now to 2.60 but boy does it punish bad driving! When i first started (like 4-5 days ago) I was trying to drive like I do in LFS, i.e. as fast as possible. It simply doesn't work for this game, it's all about consistency. It has taught me more in a few days than LFS did in nearly 2 years! I now am at the stage where I almost never crash and if I do it is a small spin or touching the kerb. I suppose it really does help to train you how to drive for real, because no way in the world would I drive in real life like I drive in LFS

Yeah, the first few races it really doesn't matter about position, only incident points..........

you want to try and do 3 clean races and then you'll have your 3.0 SR. The series I think finishes in a few days so if you have 3.0 you go up to a D license on series change (I think) - could be wrong...
I think I'm on a bad luck streak with iracing. So far in the last 4 road races I've always been bumped on first corners. One race on LRP two cars spin in front of me going into T1 leaving me nowhere to go. This one I got on video, the aftermath was physics-wise quite... strange:/. Then few races on Laguna seca, trying my new approach of not doing a quali and starting from the back of the grid. The car in front of me does not move after green light and I hit him lightly and then the person behind me hits me a bit harder. The second one was almost identical, expect the car in front did move but too late and then he tried to give room by moving to the inside and guess where I was. Then now on summit point in the first few corners someone made a genuine mistake, lost it a bit and hit me slightly. Right rear undrivable.

With these incident I have seen how badly at times the iracing online code works with these kind of events. To drive behind someone who is about to lose control of the car, or has, it is at times very hard to tell where he is actually heading because the car rotates and moves in so unnatural and unrealistic way. It's like in iracing the car movement is totally decided by the data the server recieves instead of applying any physics into it like in LFS. This is expecially true with crashes, the whole area needs imho much work. LFS, even with the collision bug is much better and most importantly more realistic and "readable". In iracing it is very hard to guess most of the time tell what is going on when someone loses it a bit and you are behind him while in LFS I can plan my way though by slowing down and anticipating the movements of the cars based on their "body language". Naturally the whole "body language" thing is in iracing and works well but lots of that data is kinda lost due to the cars reacting to bumps all the time. In LFS it is far easier to read the other cars because of the glass smooth road surfaces which means that all car movement is cause by driver inputs instead of road surface.

(I really like summit point raceway with the adv. solstices, the track is so decievingly hard and has lots of details which make it really hard track to drive consistently fast. Much better than the Laguna seca, which was a slight disappointment as it was bit dull track for me. Nothing wrong with the 3d-models or something like that though.
Oh man I'm sorry, but I lol'ed at the video...its so funny

anyone still actually in the rookie solstice? (god I need to race more :S)

If so I'm doin the race in 10 minutes. I hope I drive a bit better today...practiced and did some qualifying yesterday. Drove like I was drunk in qualy, but matched my 49.0 PB in practice...tried to record for shits n giggles but couldn't get camtasia to work right.

I can't get my safety rating above 2.6...I've time trialed, qualified, raced a bit...lol only time it goes up is in races.

I guess I don't drive clean enough. Its mostly 80% from hanging tires...on laguna seca its about no consequence time wise, and if you hang a bit wide on exit you might pick up a much needed mph

Anyways, I know I could get it higher if I just drove more...I have fun while racing, but often times miss the race by 5 or 10 minutes, and don't feel like racing 2 hours later.
weeeeeee another race, another 11 laps out front hotlapping...dodging lapped traffic.

I really don't care if I keep winning or not, I'd rather be mid field and racing with someone

I must say this safety rating thing is really starting to annoy me....there should be like tests or something to improve it. I'm an extremely clean and generous racer in traffic, I have only ran into someone once, and both of us came out of it fine (bumped a lapped car goin into a corner on accident) etc etc etc. All of my races have been podiums, yet my safety rating is 2.7 (yay went up .1 lol). I'm racing with people in the 4.x and 3.x safety rating...so what determines what speed you're paired with?

Its so bulky and time consuming to actually race, and I haven't had one close race yet. I'm not the fastest guy in the world (this is the first sim I'm decent at online lol, I suck at lfs for the most part just a few cars on a few tracks I know)...so I'm not trying to sound arrogant...but at least get it close?

I was 1.5 seconds faster than anyone else fastest lap, and my avg lap pulled me away 1.3 seconds a lap :/

still can't get into the damn 48's...had ANOTHER 49.0, but this time on roasted tires, so I was sliding all over the place. The first time was clean and I felt fast, the second 49.0 I felt sloppy, and the third I had bad tires...I just can't get it to come together and break into the 48's lol.
Just saw the new schedule for Fall season and I'm loving the fact that I can do road races back to back without having to wait for 2h.
must admit i havent had time to try a race yet as the schedule never matches mine but i cant help feeling the off course infringements are a bit inconsistent as you seem to be able to take a lot more kerb on some bends than others without it flagging up. also on the last bend at laguna, it triggered on one occasion and yet i'm pretty sure i was a good tyre width further on the track than on other laps when nothings happened . also considering its supposed to be the realistic racing sim its a bit much to gain an infringment for using the green concrete / artificial grass (call it what you want) when you see it being used all the time by professionals in real life.

editted to include some punctuation as it was a rather long ramble brought on by a tired old brain
Quote from spanks :(...)

It's your iRating and your qualify time that determines who you're paired with. SR doesn't play a role there, as far as I know. But considering that you obviousy did qualify and usually finish well, it might be that you're just unlucky and get paired with slower drivers. It should get better, the more people are racing, though. Or maybe you're just too fast for your irating? Looking at your PBs you should actually be able to easily hold your own in the Advanced Solstice races, but you can't race them, because your SR is too low. I mean, 5.5 incidents per race is not too bad, but certainly not very good either. So, I'd suggest you concentrate more on driving incident free rather than going as fast as possible, so you can race the Advanced soon. Competition is usually a lot stronger there.
Quote from Linsen :It's your iRating and your qualify time that determines who you're paired with.

Qualifying time doesn't come into it, just iRating and your friends list as far a I'm aware.
Yeah, competition is alot tougher in Adv. Solstices. I've had some time off from iRacing due to studying Photoshop and Maya, but decided to "relax" and joined in Adv. Solstice race because I'm just being destroyed in Skip Barbers. I thought it could be nice warmup race before giving Skippy another try. So, the event starts and I join the server.... warmup in my ass! I get gridded against Dale Jr and other aliens, completely lefting me in the dust. But it didn't really matter as I had my hands full trying to keep "Slowstice" on track. Felt like it had suddenly developed extra horsepower as it kept going sideways all over the place compared to LRP where you really need to provoke it into oversteer
Quote from spanks :...

Just keep racing, your iRating won't go up much if you win in weak fields, but eventually you'll be paired with stronger drivers in stronger fields. Also check how many people sign up for the race you're in, perhaps you drive on unfortunate times when only ~12-20 people sign up and most of them are slow

I'm in the unusual position where I think I'm driving with almost the same people every race... perhaps they're just on the same schedule as me
Quote from Crommi :---But it didn't really matter as I had my hands full trying to keep "Slowstice" on track. Felt like it had suddenly developed extra horsepower as it kept going sideways all over the place compared to LRP where you really need to provoke it into oversteer

On summit point raceway it is essential to keep the car on the racing line as the best is dictated by the corners which really only allow one line and one apex. Going across this line may quite abruptly change the behaviour of the car, I'm not sure if it is the track surface grip levels changing or the slight camber changes, or both... But keeping the car on the right line and keeping the momentum up is really hard on summit point raceway. It's a tough track

I think we were on the same race on 14.00 and as for the race, I was the pink car. I saw you spinning behind me when going into the brake'n'turn corner, what happened?
Not entirely sure what you mean by "brake and turn -corner" but if you're referring to what basically dropped me to back of the field, I think that was when car didn't straighten up fast enough completely missing the braking point in T5 and went all the way otherside to T8. Figured it was faster to take "stop and go" for cutting the track than turn around and drive across the field back to T5.

My problem is really the fact that rear is sliding around constantly and it's making braking really difficult in some corners.
Quote from Crommi :My problem is really the fact that rear is sliding around constantly and it's making braking really difficult in some corners.

I'm using a setup for SP that was posted on the iracing forums. It was actually meant for LS, but I'm using it for all other tracks as well, as I feel it makes the Solstice a little more predictable and stable on the rear axle. A loose setup might be a tad faster, but it seems the difference between setups is marginal in the Solstice. It's more a matter of personal preference. I think Ross J. MacGergor or so posted it. You might want to have a look over there. I'm not at home, so I can't post it right now.
I'll check that out, currently using his LS set with minor tweaks for LRP and it works great.

Edit: Oh wait... that's the set.
Quote from Hyperactive : This one I got on video, the aftermath was physics-wise quite... strange:/.

well it makes a change from the lfs attempts to reach the moon.

obviously iracing have decided to model the fights you get after a crash between drivers, they just forgot to take the driver out of the car first Smile
On a sidenote... that's one hell of a start
Did you guys check the latest news?
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG