The online racing simulator
Quote from Bean0 :Wonder if there's any chance of an updated CMX viewer before the patch so we can hit the track properly dressed.

I'm right in thinking this has happened before aren't I ?

They released one today!!!!

CMX Viewer update : Added FBM
We've updated the CMX Viewer with the new Formula BMW FB02 car which will be available in the coming patch Y. Skinners, you can start your drawing software Or you can just download the new CMX viewer to have a close-up look at the new car.
Download the S2 CMX Viewer version Y

Yes, we know. You're a bit late.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :"LFS S2 is a serious racing simulator. No arcade modes, no steering aids - YOU have to do the driving. It is therefore highly recommended to drive the sim with a steering wheel, because even though you can use keyboard and/or mouse, a wheel is what you use in a real car, so a wheel should be used in a serious racing simulator. Especially when going online, where fast reactions are required."

except that as niels tends to point out repeatedly with a determination that makes him both admirable and very much like a broken record all wheels pedals and other controls which dont come with a receipt that has your soul listed as payment are nothing like what youd find in a real car and often more hindering than helping in achieving realistic inputs/feedback

a cheap plastic wheel that takes 10 seconds to go from lock to lock on its own is just about as far removed from a real cars wheel as a gamepad or a mouse and yet neither of those 2 input methods diminish or enhance the quality of the underlying physics of lfs in any which way
Quote from sinbad :Hah as if that's some revelation. I reckon 90% of people here are aware of that statement, it's been quoted to death in these sorts of threads over the years. The carousel continues around and around. As long as it's possible to be even slightly competitive with at least the average wheel user there'll be people claiming that other control methods should be penalised more heavily. Just as the same will happen and is happening with 3-pedal/shifter users and 2 pedal/paddles users.
I'm not saying anyone is wrong. Scawen has done the right thing and made these things server-side options. He can't just turn LFS into a game that is unplayable unless you have the full equipment overnight. If you think he could then you're deluded, and even if he could, I don't think he would.

I'm totaly agree with you. I don't have a wheel, and I use to play with keyboard, so what : Do I must buy one ?

- I don't have enough money and I don't want to spend it in a wheel for the moment (my own reason).

Do I must be kicked, banned or penalized, because I play LFS keyboard ?

- I will just need to throw out that nice game to a dustbin And I'm quite sure that if I use keyboard, I still much lower than you.

Anyway, I like so much LFS , even without wheel. And when the opportunity of buying/having a wheel will occurs, then I'll see.

Thanx Scawen for keep updating OUR favorite Racing game.

Cheers.

EDIT : @ShotGlass => I could not say better, thank you.
Quote from Shotglass :except that as niels tends to point out repeatedly with a determination that makes him both admirable and very much like a broken record all wheels pedals and other controls which dont come with a receipt that has your soul listed as payment are nothing like what youd find in a real car and often more hindering than helping in achieving realistic inputs/feedback

a cheap plastic wheel that takes 10 seconds to go from lock to lock on its own is just about as far removed from a real cars wheel as a gamepad or a mouse and yet neither of those 2 input methods diminish or enhance the quality of the underlying physics of lfs in any which way

Then by the same logic we shouldn't play LFS because the tires will never be perfect. That argument is balls anyway, if you're driving properly you're not generally concerned with how fast the wheel can spin 180deg all by itself, unless you're drifting I guess. Mating a plastic wheel or a stainless one doesn't affect the input anyway.

Quote from Naix :I'm totaly agree with you. I don't have a wheel, and I use to play with keyboard, so what : Do I must buy one ?

Yikes, what the heck is with people's reading on this thread? NOBODY is saying remove keyboard support. The point is: don't complain that it's harder, or that clutching is a problem, or whatever. It is what it is, and NO concession should be made to make it easier or simpler or dumbed down or otherwise enhanced to compensate for the fact that it's a keyboard.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Then by the same logic we shouldn't play LFS because the tires will never be perfect.

i fail to see how that is in any way the same logic

Quote :That argument is balls anyway, if you're driving properly you're not generally concerned with how fast the wheel can spin 180deg all by itself, unless you're drifting I guess. Mating a plastic wheel or a stainless one doesn't affect the input anyway.

it can make a world of a difference if youre driving a dfp at 720 and need to countersteer fast while racing
also having a non pressure sensitive brake pedal changes heel and toe from something simple and intuitive into something somewhere between hit and miss and impossible
Debating with you is too much work

Quote from Shotglass :i fail to see how that is in any way the
same logic

Because you're on about minor imperfections, comparing them to major similarities.

Quote :it can make a world of a difference if youre driving a dfp at 720 and need to countersteer fast while racing

You didn't mention resistance, so I thought you meant how fast the wheel can react on it's own volition. Resistance is a minor annoyance, I never found my Momo all THAT debilitating, but then single arm curling 65lbs isn't an issue for me either. All the more reason to buy a G25

Quote :also having a non pressure sensitive brake pedal changes heel and toe from something simple and intuitive into something somewhere between hit and miss and impossible

humbug
Quote from Shotglass :i fail to see how that is in any way the same logic

The point is a wheel of some type is much better than a keyboard for driving. The plastic wheel with slow FFB is not perfect, but it is something.

Quote from Shotglass :it can make a world of a difference if youre driving a dfp at 720 and need to countersteer fast while racing
also having a non pressure sensitive brake pedal changes heel and toe from something simple and intuitive into something somewhere between hit and miss and impossible

Yes, the more realistic the equipment is, the better the experience is overall. Plastic pedals with almost no resistance are going to be very hard to heal toe. I have a great set of pedals, and they are hard to heal toe. But, adversity is the mother I am sure we will figure out ways to fix it. The rubber ball under the brake pedal is probably the quickest and easiest way.
It ain't going to be perfect, but at least it is more realistic than a keyboard.

There is one pro driver in the US who can't bend his ankle to heal toe while driving his Porsche because of an old football (US Style) injury. He as a button installed on top of his sequential shifter that blips the throttle for him. He mashes the button when down shifting and an electric servo blips the throttle for him. He has to get an exeption to the rules to use it, but it works. I don't think this relates to what we are talking about, but it was interesting anyway.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :

Yikes, what the heck is with people's reading on this thread? NOBODY is saying remove keyboard support. The point is: don't complain that it's harder, or that clutching is a problem, or whatever. It is what it is, and NO concession should be made to make it easier or simpler or dumbed down or otherwise enhanced to compensate for the fact that it's a keyboard.

Have you ever 'clutch' with a keyboard ?
I'm not flamming(or complaining) at somebody in particular, and I know the meaning of this thread. I just want to point that to drive using a keyboard is not an advantage regarding a wheel. So, why make it harder on keyboard ?
The actual keyboard settings are OK for me (the clutch it's the only thing I put in automatic), and aren't easier than holding a wheel in his hands.

Hey man, I'm not bugging you, I just try to say that driving with the keyboard is enough hard and there is no need to make it harder and harder, IMO.

Cheers.
Quote from Naix :Have you ever 'clutch' with a keyboard ?
I'm not flamming(or complaining) at somebody in particular, and I know the meaning of this thread. I just want to point that to drive using a keyboard is not an advantage regarding a wheel. So, why make it harder on keyboard ?
The actual keyboard settings are OK for me (the clutch it's the only thing I put in automatic), and aren't easier than holding a wheel in his hands.

Hey man, I'm not bugging you, I just try to say that driving with the keyboard is enough hard and there is no need to make it harder and harder, IMO.

Cheers.

It will be no more difficult for a keyboarder than for a wheel driver.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Debating with you is too much work

I´ll take that as a compliment

Quote :Because you're on about minor imperfections, comparing them to major similarities.

But that´s the thing it´s not a minor problem it´s a fundamental flaw in the design. Just because it´s circular and you hold it in both hands doesn´t automatically turn it into a proper representation of a wheel.
To stick with your imho flawed analogy, a pacejka or generally a curve based tyre model doesn´t necessarily produce good results just because the general approach isn´t all that bad, and I´m sure anyone who´s ever played a isi sim can agree.

Waving a piece of cheap, circular plastic in the general direction of a car just isn´t enough to make it any more realistic as an input method, it might be enough to make the user feel good about himself though, albeit in a dorky way.
In many ways a mouse easily overcomes a whole bunch of problems all logitech wheels have at present and thus, as far as the achievable finesse in driver steering wheel inputs is concerned, can come closer to what a real driver would be able to do than your random piece of logitech garbage.

Quote :You didn't mention resistance, so I thought you meant how fast the wheel can react on it's own volition. Resistance is a minor annoyance, I never found my Momo all THAT debilitating, but then single arm curling 65lbs isn't an issue for me either. All the more reason to buy a G25

But your Momo is just 270°, in a real road car with more than 1000° of roation you´d easily go though the whole range of the Momo just to make T1 at Blackwood; and thats without any countersteering.

Quote :humbug

Is it? I find it almost impossible to maintain a constant brake pedal position other than 0 or 100% while waving my heel around and after reading Niels' rants im convinced im not the only one out there.
Sorry but you can't throw "A mouse is as good as a wheel if not better" at a wall and expect it to stick. I don't get why anyone would try.
Quote from SamH :Sorry but you can't throw "A mouse is as good as a wheel if not better" at a wall and expect it to stick. I don't get why anyone would try.

I agree.

You couldn't get a affordable PC wheel that turns just like a real cars wheel. Unless you build one yourself.

But until then I'll rather stick to a device which come closest to the way a car is controlled.
And that means a PC steering wheel.
Did the FBM have padle shift or is it just sequential shifter knob, or both? I saw the knob in the cmx.
Quote from legoflamb :Did the FBM have padle shift or is it just sequential shifter knob, or both? I saw the knob in the cmx.

I think it's a limiter or smth... It's not a shifter anyway, it CAN'T be a shifter
To the people complaining about lifting off the throttle and slamming it back down when shifting up affecting the longevity of plastic pedals- LFS is just now joining the club. rFactor already requires it, NR2003 also does. The result of flat shifting too much usually ends up in a destroyed gear. I know for a fact that it happens in NR2003, but im not so sure about rFactor. If your pedals break like this, either there's something wrong with the quality of your wheel or you. My pedals have shown no sign of wear from lifting off to shift after numerous hours of NR2003 and rFactor gameplay.
Quote from h3adbang3r :To the people complaining about lifting off the throttle and slamming it back down when shifting up affecting the longevity of plastic pedals- LFS is just now joining the club. rFactor already requires it, NR2003 also does. The result of flat shifting too much usually ends up in a destroyed gear. I know for a fact that it happens in NR2003, but im not so sure about rFactor. If your pedals break like this, either there's something wrong with the quality of your wheel or you. My pedals have shown no sign of wear from lifting off to shift after numerous hours of NR2003 and rFactor gameplay.

And which steering wheel do you have? I got a Momo here, I hope it handles the pace and won't leave me too fast...
Quote from Riders Motion :And which steering wheel do you have? I got a Momo here, I hope it handles the pace and won't leave me too fast...

I use a SideWinder FFB. The only thing wrong with it right now is the shift buttons behind the wheel occasionally double/triple shifting on me. Nothing wrong with the pedals.
Quote from Riders Motion :I think it's a limiter or smth... It's not a shifter anyway, it CAN'T be a shifter

oh no. a lever attached to some linkage which travels away from the cockpit and towards the engine/tranny area could NEVER be a shifter.

of course it's a shifter.

as has been mentioned a million times already, it has a sequential gearbox, meaning the shifter only has to go forward and back.
Quote from h3adbang3r :I use a SideWinder FFB. The only thing wrong with it right now is the shift buttons behind the wheel occasionally double/triple shifting on me. Nothing wrong with the pedals.

Then turn on "gearshift debounce" in the options. To like.... 120ms
Quote from Shotglass :In many ways a mouse easily overcomes a whole bunch of problems all logitech wheels have at present and thus, as far as the achievable finesse in driver steering wheel inputs is concerned, can come closer to what a real driver would be able to do than your random piece of logitech garbage.

Man, what have you been smoking...
You can't be further from the thruth... Car is driven with a wheel and pedals, yes, that "circular thing that you hold with both hands", what does it matter if it's real leather wheel or a plastic wheel, with your arguments, we shouldn't even play racing sims, it's never going to be 100% real, that's the fact, but we gotta get as close as we can get..

ANY "circular thing that you hold with both hands" is better and more realistic than a frekin' mouse/keyboard... You are suppose to imitate reality in a sim, how are you imitating reality with a mouse, moving it on a table and eating a donut with the other hand.. Jeeeez, can't believe that we are having this discussion.. and what's the difference with 270 and 1000 degrees, in racing conditions, those changes are minor, real GTR cars have, what 360 degrees, 540, some may even have 270, heck why not, it can be adjusted... The difference is only really noticable with drifting as than you really need a large radious of rotation..
Hey!

Don't we civilized people eat Jaffa's with our free hand when mousing?
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Hey!

I can finish a meal, while racing with my G25. I steer with my knees, and I shave and read a paper, most of the time
Quote from Naix :Have you ever 'clutch' with a keyboard ?
I'm not flamming

Actually, yes. Just like I think I saw someone else mention, I used to do it in Viper Racing and I thought it was amazing!

Quote :So, why make it harder on keyboard ?

I'm not saying make it harder either. I'm saying definitely do NOT make it easier than it is.

Quote :Hey man, I'm not bugging you,

No worries fella, I know. Sometimes we have heated debates here, it's usually all in good fun.

Quote from Hallen :It will be no more difficult for a keyboarder than for a wheel driver.

precisely

Quote from Shotglass :I´ll take that as a compliment

good, that's how it was meant; which is why your following drivel has me shocked, shagrinned, mortified and stupified!

Quote :Just because it´s circular and you hold it in both hands doesn´t automatically turn it into a proper representation of a wheel.

Odd.

Quote :Waving a piece of cheap, circular plastic in the general direction of a car just isn´t enough to make it any more realistic as an input method

even more odd

Quote :it might be enough to make the user feel good about himself though, albeit in a dorky way.

my G25 makes me feel fuzzy, but it's not cheap plastic (well, the unimportant circle of representation thing isn't at least, neither are the pedals)

Quote :In many ways a mouse easily overcomes a whole bunch of problems all logitech wheels have at present and thus, as far as the achievable finesse in driver steering wheel inputs is concerned, can come closer to what a real driver would be able to do than your random piece of logitech garbage.

What in the...but... b.. but.... but...
:wtf2::faint2:

Yeah, going 720 degrees in the swoop of the wrist makes much more sense than turning a silly circle!

Quote :But your Momo is just 270°, in a real road car with more than 1000° of roation you´d easily go though the whole range of the Momo just to make T1 at Blackwood; and thats without any countersteering.

True. Adjusting to the G25 last year was a big change for the better.

Quote :Is it? I find it almost impossible to maintain a constant brake pedal position other than 0 or 100% while waving my heel around and after reading Niels' rants im convinced im not the only one out there.

Just takes finesse, can be done ok.

Quote from SamH :Sorry but you can't throw "A mouse is as good as a wheel if not better" at a wall and expect it to stick. I don't get why anyone would try.

Indeed.

Quote from Boris Lozac :Man, what have you been smoking...

The real question is why is he not sharing because it's clearly good shit!

Quote from dawesdust_12 :Hey!

No, one must shove 8 into the mouth and chomp like a starving bull while mommy calls for din!
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :one must shove 8 into the mouth and chomp like a starving bull while mommy calls for din!

Still the funniest thing I've ever seen on the internet. Watching Tristan run the gamut of emotion in the blink of an eye; confusion, fear, shame, and finally giggling. It paralleled the more common scenario that a mother catches her son embroiled in.
This thread is closed

Soon available : Formula BMW FB02
(1389 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG