The online racing simulator
Great stuff! Noticed a couple of cars in the video had "Petter" and "Henning" on their plates. Don't suppose the Solberg brothers are beta testers?
Quote from arco :Great stuff! Noticed a couple of cars in the video had "Petter" and "Henning" on their plates. Don't suppose the Solberg brothers are beta testers?

Stop that thought now, it was DoN who made the LFS part of the movie, so it's Don's AI racers as well.

...oh wait.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Hey Bob, does this update has anything to do with your teasing over the last month or two? Something about Niels and you. Are you teasing us over something related officialy to LFS or something that you and Niels are working on?

*cough*Notatall*cough*
cryptic
Quote from axus :*cough*Notatall*cough*

What is it then? I just want a simple answer, LFS related or something like FZR mod for rFactor.. Bob was very misterious with that and he did mentioned that it was his project, don't know if he's a beta tester, just courios what was that teasing all about
Quote from DaveWS :Whats the big deal over a damn line!! I'm sure it will be just an optional thing, which you could turn on / off.

I think it would be great for beginners, and less people would be turned away from the game, as they would know where to brake etc.

At the point when you start making the game for beginners, you can forget making it a sim too...

Quote from geeman1 :I am guessing that the auto-clutch only kicks in when shifting gears, not for example when you spin.

Would be pretty good. I'm still 2-pedal user but am all for giving slight advantage for 3-pedal users. Otherwise sims will not ever evolve in this area.
Pr!
I am only on Page 3 now of this Thread (this is the punishment if you don´t read the Forum for 3 days) and I don´t know if I will read something like that in a few Minutes:

But the 1st thing I thought when I read the News on the LFS Homepage was not: "Wow, a new Patch" or "Yesss, a new car". It was more like: "Wow, this is some great Advertisement for LFS". I hope LFS is mentioned in that TV Show and that the LFS Stickers are on the Cars too. I really hope that the Devs will sell more Licenses because of this deal. More Licenses means more Money, means longer Support for LFS (or maybe "I take the money and leave to a nice Island" for the Devs... though I hope for the 1st)
Quote from Boris Lozac :What is it then? I just want a simple answer, LFS related or something like FZR mod for rFactor.. Bob was very misterious with that and he did mentioned that it was his project, don't know if he's a beta tester, just courios what was that teasing all about

:haha:
Quote from deggis :At the point when you start making the game for beginners, you can forget making it a sim too...

Deggis do you actually read the things Scawen posts? Scawen has said many times that he does not want LFS to be a game where you need to push a hundred buttons just to get out of the pitlane. It has simulation physics with pick up and play controls and setup. That is why its popular. LFS should be used as a tool to increase the sim racing community. If you make it a full blown hardcore sim then loads of potentially great racers will be put off. Currently you can go online, have a 10 minute race, then go to work. If you are stuck clicking switches and trying not to stall the car while leaving the pit garage for 5 minutes, then you spend less time racing.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Deggis do you actually read the things Scawen posts? Scawen has said many times that he does not want LFS to be a game where you need to push a hundred buttons just to get out of the pitlane. It has simulation physics with pick up and play controls and setup. That is why its popular. LFS should be used as a tool to increase the sim racing community. If you make it a full blown hardcore sim then loads of potentially great racers will be put off. Currently you can go online, have a 10 minute race, then go to work. If you are stuck clicking switches and trying not to stall the car while leaving the pit garage for 5 minutes, then you spend less time racing.

until you learn how to get out of the garage without stalling, and then you'll have plenty of time to race
:hypnotize
YEAH, me like this...this is just what LFS is, a RACING simulator, so more racing cars is very, very nice...(although it is again a BMW, wich is remarkable but not very surprising, 'cause they had the BF1 already...).

But let's say, a sporty diesel-engined car would also be very neat, since diesel seems to conquer the world of racing very fast...Le Mans, WTCC, and what about the Hybrid-Supra Toyota has made?

Hybrid racing, the future of LFS...

Timz
Regarding the racing line thing, I think we should cool the discussion until we see the patch or get official word. We've all been somewhat presumptuous. But I'd expect some angry uproars if it really is there.
Quote from Electrik Kar ::hypnotize

Double that, I got no idea what is going on.
Quote from Timz :

But let's say, a sporty diesel-engined car would also be very neat, since diesel seems to conquer the world of racing very fast...Le Mans, WTCC, and what about the Hybrid-Supra Toyota has made?

Sorry, not going to happen. You can find a nice quote from Scawen on that matter.
will this see the end of the FOX? The F BMWs may be more raceable than the FOX's..... and possibly more attractive as a choice...

is this the end of the Formula XR ? lol
thx & happy xmas to all
well, i'm happier than this lot........

Formula BMW didn't put an end to Formula Renault, so I don't see how?

Considering those similarities, shouldn't it be the Formula XF?
Quote from axus :But I'd expect some angry uproars if it really is there.

whoever hasnt already... dont forget to sharpen the pitchforks
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Deggis do you actually read the things Scawen posts? Scawen has said many times that he does not want LFS to be a game where you need to push a hundred buttons just to get out of the pitlane.

Which I found somehow devastating when I read it first time.

But he didn't say he wanted to go completely opposite way either - racing line is complete opposite. A player who NEEDS racing line, probably can't drive well either and you could ask is that kind of player supposed to be the main audience of a sim game.

Why did you brought up the 100 buttons check list start sequence to this? (Do I smell grudge from that "handbrake" thread in last Spring or something? ) I don't think it's completely relevant to this.

Quote :LFS should be used as a tool to increase the sim racing community.

I honestly don't (or want to) believe that even Scawen sees it that way...

Quote :If you make it a full blown hardcore sim then loads of potentially great racers will be put off.

And if you optimize it for beginners, then simmers who wants HC will be put off. Which type of players you think there are more in the sim racing community?
Quote from deggis :But he didn't say he wanted to go completely opposite way either - racing line is complete opposite.

grand prix 1-4 ... best sims of their time and all had an ideal line display option
I don't think any of the "hardcore" simmers mind as long as:
1. You have all the features required to get all the information you need on the screen without arcadey HUD displays first.
2. You have the option prohibit the use of any HUD (apart from menus and the like) on a server.

That said, this would be more of a testing tool that was used for development assuming it's getting added. The reason why it would frustrate many people is that arcadey things seem to be creeping in but we don't have certain vital race information without the HUD.
Quote from Shotglass :grand prix 1-4 ... best sims of their time and all had an ideal line display option

And in the licence tests in GT(u)R(d)2 have a line. It's a very useful training aid for beginners.

I'm more concerned about the seeming loss of throttle cut and blip - whilst it's Scawen's choice what goes in and out of the sim I don't see the need for any excessive pandering to the G25 owner's club ...
Just my 2p...

A lot of people getting wound up on this '(not so) ideal line'.

You are moaning about something, that has not been(that i know) confirmed at all. So as far as we know, it might not be there.

Maybe wait till its released so we can find out, then have your newbie - pro - hardcore sim racer discussions once the facts are known.

The way i see it, i couldnt care if its in or not. I wont use it, and i cant see a problem with it being there for other people.
duke_toaster: note the separate sequential and semi-automatic transmissions. My guess is that is the very difference between them (sequential being fully manually operated). As for the G25 drivers, any G25 driver wishing to drive with an H-shifter should be serious enough to be able to pull of a manual heel-toe. No manual will do it for you in real life.
This thread is closed

Soon available : Formula BMW FB02
(1389 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG