The online racing simulator
Well, recently atleast, I've noticed there are a few "types" of demos I guess you could call them.

2 or 3 vehicles and 2 tracks
1 car and 1 track, with full multiplayer and full single player (well.. not full full, but variable options)
2 demos, both with 1 (but seperate) tracks and vehicles, one is single player, other is multi

LFS needs the 3 vehicle balance; the rally track is just.. there, I can't imagine it is used that often, which is why I suggested the RB4 be a replacement, then you would have lower class (close races) with a street vehicle, the GTi, rally races with the RB4, and the FB02 for the rest.

I mean I can't imagine Scawen will change it, but in my mind that makes the most sense, and the most balance with what the demo has to offer.
Otherwise there is to much range between something like the GTi and XRG to the FB02.. a lot is missing between the two.
Good news...
Anyway, i would only ask for rallycross tires to set up on FXR! That would be nice!
I think as long as there is a car and a track available to be used freely in multiplayer races, then LFS is showing what it's basically capable of, and that's all the demo should do. People should buy a license because they want to try all these other things, not expect a demo to give them a taste of everything before they part with a penny.
Quote from sinbad :...and that's all the demo should do...

Why?

Because that's the way demos have always been? I've asked this question before, but haven't received an answer that isn't purely speculative. The demo works. Scawen gets to test drive a single seater, someone bought a new kitchen, blah blah... In short, the devs are doing alright, have a good standard of living, and don't need anyone to look after their income. They are quite capable of making reasoned choices.

And where is it written that restricting supply necessarily increases demand?
Because that's what a demo(nstration) is supposed to do sort of by definition. Otherwise it's more like "LFS light" or something.

And how do you know how alright the devs are doing? Do you really think they couldn't use a little more money, maybe?

But of course, it is not written that a demo that offers less, would attract more people to buy LFS. And there's no guarantee that a more limited demo would convince even one single person to purchase the full product.

Overall, I think that including the FBM in the demo was part of the deal with Fortec and/or V1. And apart from that it also could provide a way of getting new people interested in LFS, those who are not interested in Road Cars but in formulas and who never considered the demo because of lack of the latter. But who knows.
Quote from nihil :Why?

Because that's the way demos have always been? I've asked this question before, but haven't received an answer that isn't purely speculative. The demo works. Scawen gets to test drive a single seater, someone bought a new kitchen, blah blah... In short, the devs are doing alright, have a good standard of living, and don't need anyone to look after their income. They are quite capable of making reasoned choices.

And where is it written that restricting supply necessarily increases demand?

I said as long as their is a free multiplayer option in LFS's demo, then LFS's basic capability is being demonstrated, and that's all that the demo needs to do. It could be done with one car and one track and it doesn't matter very much which car or track that is. The LFS demo will never remove the free multiplayer part, it might chop and change the cars, but that's their choice. I'm not campaigning in anyway for less demo content, I don't care, I just don't think people should complain that there isn't enough, when LFS is perfectly well demonstrated with the bare minimum.

Also, remember that when the demo was released there was no pay version at all, so its intention and purpose was somewhat different to what it is today.
Quote from Linsen :
And how do you know how alright the devs are doing? Do you really think they couldn't use a little more money, maybe?

Couldn't we all? But my point was exactly that the only reasons ever given by the "demo is too good" contingent (who frankly whine just as much as the other side) are:
  • Because that's what a demo(nstration) is supposed to do sort of by definition [sort of = not really. Demos demonstrate and the LFS demo demonstrates very well what LFS does]
  • Because that's all that the demo needs to do [which again begs the question, "what is so wrong in doing more than what is presumed to be needed?" How will it actually benefit development to do less?]
  • Because hordes of people will flood to S2 if you .... [yeah, well, we've dealt with that one. And we all know that having more money, more resources, more ... of anything isn't going to make the development of LFS proceed any faster anyway]
Perhaps its time to drop the word 'demo'. Why not, indeed, call it LFS Lite? It certainly won't be the first program to abuse the word 'light', in such a way.
Quote from sgt.flippy :I agree too, even online. Everyone's complaining about the clutch burning out. I raced a few races and the only time I burned out the clutch, was when somebody told me how to do it while standing still, after the race. I'm not that good, or is my technique so superb I can't manage to burn the clutch out?
And to all people who haven't driven the new car yet... try it offline FIRST and read the CHANGE LOG. Before going online and complaining the car doesn't shift and this and that ...

Seconded, I even don't know how people manage to burn their clutches in a Formula BMW, mine stay's cool from beginning to the end :s
Clutch is ok for infinite number of laps.
There should not be a problem whatsoever in racing unless you constantly flat shifting.

The autoclutch feature is ruining the clutch by slipping it when you crush and go backwards while still keeping the throttle pressed… (Maybe it should be coded that in backward movement with a forward gear engaged, acutoclutch should be fully off?)
It is a wrong habit, many of us have, keeping the throttle fully on whatever happens because there might be a way to save it doing some high speed spins…
The only think you should care when you spin is to stop as fast as possible so you can save the car and continue the race.

In general I still think that clutch heats up too fast but this will affect all other non racing activities which contain some clutch abuse and these activities are not LFS’s main goal, like it or not.
clutch overheating.... uh oh! I've been waiting for that one hehehehe.

it's great that you've got such a firm encouragement from the real world driving community. the truth about LFS can't be hidden!
When will the LFS World Stats be reset? I had a fairly thorough search of the forums for 'stats reset' etc but couldn't find anything so sorry if someone already asked this.
Quote from Gentlefoot :When will the LFS World Stats be reset? I had a fairly thorough search of the forums for 'stats reset' etc but couldn't find anything so sorry if someone already asked this.

Stats won't be reseted, only Hotlap charts will (but they won't be deleted completly)
i will close this now the new thread and patch are out, I hope nobody will mind. normally scawen gets to do it.

/me steals thunder

p.s Gentlefoot. Hotlap stats have been reset: see here
This thread is closed

Soon available : Formula BMW FB02
(1389 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG