The online racing simulator
Quote from duke_toaster :I'm more concerned about the seeming loss of throttle cut and blip - whilst it's Scawen's choice what goes in and out of the sim I don't see the need for any excessive pandering to the G25 owner's club ...

Are you telling me your foot isn't able to lift off the throttle while upshifting or dabbing it while downshifting? Lifting an blipping isn't something that requires a clutch, you know...
I can't wait.

Hopefully it's only 2 weeks, because then I get vacation... =D
I think this thread is hilarious.

Scawen comes in and says "Hey guys, I made A, B and C. Hope you enjoy it!" and immediately all people go "Holy crap, we get apple pie, butter cake and coffee, awesome!" with others chiming in "But I don't like butter cake ".

Quote from Intrepid :will this see the end of the FOX? The F BMWs may be more raceable than the FOX's..... and possibly more attractive as a choice...

is this the end of the Formula XR ? lol

As I see it, it will be like the BF1! At first the FB02 will have some kind of monopole online, the closest cars being left alone. Then most of people will get bored of it almost at the same time and the BF02 will be forgotten for some time until everything get balanced.
Quote from Maelstrom :As I see it, it will be like the BF1! At first the FB02 will have some kind of monopole online, the closest cars being left alone. Then most of people will get bored of it almost at the same time and the BF02 will be forgotten for some time until everything get balanced.

Why would that be the case, BMW Formula sounds VERY interesting... I think the reason for low popularity of BF1 is that it just doesn't feel that good to drive, at least to me.. Something is not right there, i just can't imagine that F1 car should behave like that.. Somehow it feels kinda soft and bouncy, don't know how to explain it and it feels like it has a wheel turn radius much bigger than it should, it's kinda too sensitive to steering inputs.. i don't know..
Quote from Boris Lozac :Hey Bob, does this update has anything to do with your teasing over the last month or two? Something about Niels and you. Are you teasing us over something related officialy to LFS or something that you and Niels are working on?

You'll have to wait a little longer to find out, as I'll have to rework the mod a bit for Patch Y (no point releasing now). Then I'll wait for the hype of the new car to ease a little bit before I give you all something else to play with.
Quote from bbman :Are you telling me your foot isn't able to lift off the throttle while upshifting or dabbing it while downshifting? Lifting an blipping isn't something that requires a clutch, you know...

My foot is capable, but I doubt my plastic pedals will appreciate it. A pair of plastic Logitech DFP pedals has nowhere near the durability of a real car pedal, and releasing and pressing the pedal fully as quickly as possible on every gear change will reduce the lifespan dramatically. I agree with what I saw Kev post somewhere - by all means give a slight advantage to those with the full 3-pedal & h-gate setups (afterall they should be rewarded for doing more work), but don't castrate those of us with two pedals who would rather not replace them every year and who have to rely on sequential paddle shifters and a button clutch.

I'm already alarmed by the rumour of the car stalling when you spin unless you manually put the clutch in. Fine, if you have a third pedal - after all it's instinct to dip your left foot and press the clutch. But how am I going to keep the clutch in by holding a button on a twirling, shaking wheel? Hopefully, such rumours will prove to be unfounded and there will continue to be concessions for those without the latest and greatest controller hardware.
Quote from duke_toaster :
I'm more concerned about the seeming loss of throttle cut and blip - whilst it's Scawen's choice what goes in and out of the sim I don't see the need for any excessive pandering to the G25 owner's club ...

Surely it doesn't make a difference for or against G25 drivers, except one would assume most racers using a shifter are probably capable of lifting and dabbing their throttle pedal. It's not rocket science and using the argument it'll wear your pedals out is just silly.

Quote from Maelstrom :As I see it, it will be like the BF1! At first the FB02 will have some kind of monopole online, the closest cars being left alone. Then most of people will get bored of it almost at the same time and the BF02 will be forgotten for some time until everything get balanced.

I think the FB2 will be very raceable though, most people could tell you that the BF1 was never going to last before it was released because just like IRL it has led to crap racing. The FB2 will really be like a FOX but more exciting to drive and race due to a smaller wheelbase, peakier engine and being physically smaller.
Quote from AndroidXP :I think this thread is hilarious.

Scawen comes in and says "Hey guys, I made A, B and C. Hope you enjoy it!" and immediately all people go "Holy crap, we get apple pie, butter cake and coffee, awesome!" with others chiming in "But I don't like butter cake ".

LOL, funny because its very true.
Quote from STROBE :My foot is capable, but I doubt my plastic pedals will appreciate it. A pair of plastic Logitech DFP pedals has nowhere near the durability of a real car pedal, and releasing and pressing the pedal fully as quickly as possible on every gear change will reduce the lifespan dramatically. I agree with what I saw Kev post somewhere - by all means give a slight advantage to those with the full 3-pedal & h-gate setups (afterall they should be rewarded for doing more work), but don't castrate those of us with two pedals who would rather not replace them every year and who have to rely on sequential paddle shifters and a button clutch.

I'm already alarmed by the rumour of the car stalling when you spin unless you manually put the clutch in. Fine, if you have a third pedal - after all it's instinct to dip your left foot and press the clutch. But how am I going to keep the clutch in by holding a button on a twirling, shaking wheel? Hopefully, such rumours will prove to be unfounded and there will continue to be concessions for those without the latest and greatest controller hardware.

:doh:

I'm lost for words, really...

Quote from AndroidXP :I think this thread is hilarious.

Like I said last time (those FCV-wars), many people in the community just love all those unrealistic bits they've grown so fond of in the last years, they forgot to embrace changes for what they are: improvements...
Quote from STROBE :My foot is capable, but I doubt my plastic pedals will appreciate it. A pair of plastic Logitech DFP pedals has nowhere near the durability of a real car pedal, and releasing and pressing the pedal fully as quickly as possible on every gear change will reduce the lifespan dramatically. I agree with what I saw Kev post somewhere - by all means give a slight advantage to those with the full 3-pedal & h-gate setups (afterall they should be rewarded for doing more work), but don't castrate those of us with two pedals who would rather not replace them every year and who have to rely on sequential paddle shifters and a button clutch.

I do manual lift offs ever since I got my DFP 2 years ago, an my accelerator still works pretty well, so that's no problem for your pedals...

But it also depends on how you will treat them. If you'll kick you DFP pedals (which isn't necessary, as you will be just as fast as if you just lift your foot) then they will take damage, but so will your sequential shifter knob if you will treat it like a real sequential shift stick
The problem I see is that the 'hardcore' sim racers are considered to be the ones who spend hundreds on the best wheel, then make their own little cockpit to sit in. I find your attitude about the whole thing quite disturbing to be honest, you think just because someone doesn't know the racing line and braking points they just shouldn't own the game? It stinks of elitism.
woohoohoo finnaly a new car!!!
Quote from Bob Smith :You'll have to wait a little longer to find out, as I'll have to rework the mod a bit for Patch Y (no point releasing now). Then I'll wait for the hype of the new car to ease a little bit before I give you all something else to play with.

So it's something unofficiall then and it seems you have a permission to release it OFFICIALLY... interesting..
Quote from thisnameistaken :Maybe the line is just Kegetys' ghost car mod, it hasn't been included in LFS officially at all, and they used it in the video to show that the AI don't just drive around on their "usual" line any more.

in case no one else noticed ... the line is discontinuous and has a small gap after ever corner which suggests that it is the ais calculated line which is still done somewhat seperately for each corner
Quote from STROBE :I'm already alarmed by the rumour of the car stalling when you spin unless you manually put the clutch in. Fine, if you have a third pedal - after all it's instinct to dip your left foot and press the clutch. But how am I going to keep the clutch in by holding a button on a twirling, shaking wheel? Hopefully, such rumours will prove to be unfounded and there will continue to be concessions for those without the latest and greatest controller hardware.

I can agree with this part of your post. I don't feel that using a button clutch, especially with limited buttons on the wheel, is any more realistic than an auto clutch. I'm curious and 'alarmed' as you say about needing to reach for my keyboard if I should happen to spin.

We won't know until the patch is released though. But it would be unfair to clutch users if us auto clutchers can spin and not stall.

It's a rich man's world out there. With many things, you pay to play or you get out. I'm still holding on to the fact that this doesn't happen to simple 'computer gaming'.
Anyone else noticed this… looks like some big changes to the weather/time of day with it possibly being be dynamic.

3g_dt_dawn_ Dawn
3g_dt_sunri Sunrise
3g_dt_morni Morning
3g_dt_day__ Day
3g_dt_after Afternoon
3g_dt_sunse Sunset
3g_dt_dusk_ Dusk
3g_dt_night Night
3g_wth_clea Clear
3g_wth_clou Cloudy
3g_wth_over Overcast
Quote from Rotary :Anyone else noticed this… looks like some big changes to the weather/time of day with it possibly being be dynamic.

I don't know about the dynamic part. But seems like night racing could finally be here.
Quote from geeman1 :I don't know about the dynamic part. But seems like night racing could finally be here.

No, sorry. That line can be found in previous versions too, been there for quite a bit I think.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :The problem I see is that the 'hardcore' sim racers are considered to be the ones who spend hundreds on the best wheel, then make their own little cockpit to sit in. I find your attitude about the whole thing quite disturbing to be honest, you think just because someone doesn't know the racing line and braking points they just shouldn't own the game? It stinks of elitism.

My Dad manages just fine to learn tracks pretty quickly when he occasionally has a go, I think all a racing line would do would help him to crash more often getting distracted. I have nothing against a racing line in LFS although I'd rather it was kept off the better online servers because I'd hope most people are looking at the track and cars rather than some kind of virtual aid. I don't really see how not having aids like a racing line is at all elitist. LFS shouldn't require a ridiculous financial investment but it should have a realistically steep learning curve IMO, somethings such as nK style cockpits are excessive and pointless and don't add anything to the simulation. Lifting off the throttle, however, is a realistic requirement. To my knowledge LFS is the only racing simulation which actually tries to cater for keyboard/mouse users, why is beyond me because most keyboard and mouse users can buy a perfectly respectable wheel for less than the price of a good mouse or keyboard and certainly less than the price of LFS.
Quote from Blackout :No, sorry. That line can be found in previous versions too, been there for quite a bit I think.

Quote from Blackout :No, sorry. That line can be found in previous versions too, been there for quite a bit I think.

Ahh bummer!
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
Quote from STROBE :...

That could indeed be difficult, so buy a g25 then lol

Quote from bbman :
I'm lost for words, really...
Like I said last time (those FCV-wars), many people in the community just love all those unrealistic bits they've grown so fond of in the last years, they forgot to embrace changes for what they are: improvements...

Stalling the engine is an improvement, but I agree with strobe. Stalling = great improvement but if it was to the point of you must have (or buy) a g25 or another 3 pedal wheel then it would force alot of people to stop playing. So I don't think anyone is saying it isn't an improvement just small concessions have to be there to reach the wider audience.

Quote from ATC Quicksilver :The problem I see is that the 'hardcore' sim racers are considered to be the ones who spend hundreds on the best wheel, then make their own little cockpit to sit in. I find your attitude about the whole thing quite disturbing to be honest, you think just because someone doesn't know the racing line and braking points they just shouldn't own the game? It stinks of elitism.

Agreed. Nothing more to say.
Is the racing line actually a server option, or is all of this pure speculation? All I've seen is the line in the video, so if someone else knows for sure that it's going to show up online then please tell me. It seems like a 100% pointless thing to draw in an online race anyway tbh. All it would do is distract people and make them crash.

As for blip/cut: Anyone with a control set to accelerate already has a control to let them blip and cut the throttle, so all they need to do is start using it properly and stop relying on robots to do all the more complicated parts of driving the car. If for some strange reason you don't have a control set to accelerate then you won't need to blip the throttle anyway because we don't have any hills steep enough to get you out of first gear.
Quote from ajp71 :To my knowledge LFS is the only racing simulation which actually tries to cater for keyboard/mouse users, why is beyond me because most keyboard and mouse users can buy a perfectly respectable wheel for less than the price of a good mouse or keyboard and certainly less than the price of LFS.

You need a keyboard and you need a mouse to operate a computer. Someone sees LFS and wants to give it a go. He downloads the demo, jumps in the GTT (see, there's that GTT reference again ) and spins out braking for the first time on that bump going into Blackwoods first turn because he's downshifting, but can't do all that's required to brake, blip, downshift, and turn with his fingers. He declares the racing game ridiculous in how difficult it is to play and leaves.

With the throttle blip, the same user does the same, downloads and tries out LFS. Upon entering the braking zone in Blackwood T1 with that bump, the auto blip keeps him from locking up the rear wheels in the GTT and he negotiates T1 and the chicane perfectly fine. He declares the racing game the most fun he's had since that first time he jumped off his swingset in the back yard years ago and 2 days later, he needs to get a wheel. He buys wheel, buys a license, and races happily ever after.

Why? Because of a simple little thing that allows someone to try out LFS before investing in a wheel, called auto blip.
This thread is closed

Soon available : Formula BMW FB02
(1389 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG