The online racing simulator
I think a certain amount of elitism is perfectly realistic within a racing community.

Look at Alonso, he's hardly the friendliest or most forgiving of people!

It's natural for people who spend all day every day being a racer, understanding the finite details of physics within racing, to get impatient with people asking for Nitrous Oxide in a non-drag, circuit racing environment.

I welcome a new car, no-matter what its specs as I like a diverse experience of vehicles. More than that, I welcome the changes in simulation, the new clutch and gearbox simulation improves all the cars, so not only do we get one entirely new one, we get better versions of all them.

Brilliant.
Quote from K.David :All the posts with the new translation lines should be deleted, they kind of kill the surprise and may also lead to false expectaions.

Nope - translation lines were probably added by the devs so that they can sit back and enjoy reading how far we will speculate based on a few obtuse pieces of text.
Good laugh this far!
Quote :get impatient with people asking for Nitrous Oxide in a non-drag, circuit racing environment.

I wouldn't consider that elitist, that's just a normal reaction to someone going completely off-topic!
oh boo hoo!

every time we have a patch it's the same thing over again..

be grateful that LFS has keyboard/mouse controls in the first place. that way new players can try out the sim and see what it is about: realism. so yes, using a controller other than a ff wheel/3 pedal system should be at least a little slower. that doesn't mean it is impossible to have fun though!

in many games simplified (crap) car handling physics are a result of a compromise made because of people using unsuitable controllers like pads, keyboards.

i am glad devs are not going there despite the growing number of drifting and cruising teenagers they could welcome in the game by making it "easy".

if lfs was all about making profit, it would already have nos, drift tyres and suvs. with a dev team this small it would mean no resources for developing the things that made lfs so appealing in the first place: physics. now we don't want that do we?

/rant

about time we got rid of at least some of the driving aids

With love from:
Realism Nazi
Tristan is talking sense, you are just taking his comments out of context. Or as I like to put it, they were very interlectual comments Tristan made. Shame you didn't understand them.
I'm not sure if it's a good thing having Blueflame on my side or not
I understand what Tristan says but i disagree.
It's better than being on your Todd Tristan surely

I'm not sure people DO understand. They seem to think you are bigoting or something, when you are simply stating the truth, and I share your anguish.
I agree with everyone! Can I get away with that?

For me, as long as LFS caters for the people who use it, I'm happy. If the hardcore bunch want to play hardcore sim, I hope LFS delivers for them. But I also care about the longevity of the project, and that means that I have to (by default) welcome the cruise servers and the drifters, and anyone who buys into this sim and secures its future development.

That's all I want, at the end of the day.. a sim that I can play in the way that I want to play it, from now until as far as I dare to think into the future. As long as the server I'm playing on can assert enough control over what's in and what's out that I can guarantee a level playing field if I want one, everyone can have what everyone wants, and nobody is left wanting.

I don't believe Tristan is wrong in wanting what he always believed was coming in LFS.. nor is anyone else for wanting what they want either.. but I heartily disagree with anyone who would choose to limit the accessibility of LFS to anyone who doesn't share the same sim racing ethics, and would choose to make LFS more niche and less appealing to the masses, because those people are the most dangerous to the future of LFS.
Quote from STROBE :My foot is capable, but I doubt my plastic pedals will appreciate it. A pair of plastic Logitech DFP pedals has nowhere near the durability of a real car pedal, and releasing and pressing the pedal fully as quickly as possible on every gear change will reduce the lifespan dramatically. I agree with what I saw Kev post somewhere - by all means give a slight advantage to those with the full 3-pedal & h-gate setups (afterall they should be rewarded for doing more work), but don't castrate those of us with two pedals who would rather not replace them every year and who have to rely on sequential paddle shifters and a button clutch.

Oh come on, this is ridiculous. With this argument you could also blame Microsoft of your failing mouse because you are forced to perform hundreds of clicks a day to use Windows. Like already said before by someone, if the hardware fails during normal use, it is a problem of the hardware because it can not perform the task it is originally designed for.
^^ Reminds me of Faulty Towers, where the old woman doesn't turn her hearing aids on because it runs the batteries down.

In short, not using something because it wears out means you might as well not use it at all. Either accept nothing last forever, use it and enjoy it while it lasts, or never use anything and never have anything break.
I honestly think people are miss understanding what tristan is saying. I partially agree with him. '"The people" his talking about (this is what i understud from reading this posts) is the people that shoulndt be playing LFS in the first place, not because they are new, or because they dont drive with a wheel, but the "kinda of people" that want NFS not LFS, thus wanting it to have arcade features, that cant understand that in this game you have to do the driving, you have to brake in a certain way so you car is under control, you have to understand a least a bit of wheight transfer ( i think this is how its spelled).

I honestly think that hes not saying that he doesnt want new comers, but the NFS type of people (dont take it personally with you drive NFS and play LFS, i mean the OMGZ da gam3 sukz, we need NOZZZ, that kinda kinda of mentality) sorry but those people shouldnt be playing LFS in the first place, beucause their objectives and LFS are the oposites.

Either you like or not, LFS is elitist by it self, we have a very select market, those who dont fit it (so to speak) were not meant to be in LFS, because their expectition will never reach LFS's, so this is the "people" that want nozzz, that will need a racing line so they know when to brake, when to turn, but till still would crash you if you were in the racing line, because the computer didnt told them to change line.
You are right, Rod.
You made more sense of what I was trying to say.
Hopefully people stop flaming Tristan because if he agrees with what you say, then he deserves an apology.
-
(Dj-Aeri) DELETED by Dj-Aeri
There are no people that shouldn´t be playing LFS! Everyone is welcome. If they have an expectation of arcade driving they will find that you cant do this in LFS and maybe quit playing it or adapt to LFS:s rules and physics and start racing properly.

If someone start playing lfs with an idea that racing should be like NFS then i´m pretty shure the great fun of racing in LFS can change their mind after a while. But not if everyone tells them to go to hell.
Well you can filter out these idiots immediately, when you are League racing, and to me nothing beats League races.
What do you mean "idiots"?
If one is not as enlightened about racing simulation and all that comes to it as you they automatically become an idiot? That´s harsh man...
Quote from Blackout :I was about to respond to the "only rich g25 bastards can now recover from a spin" -matter, and say that a workaround for that would be making a system that will engage neutral when both up and downshift buttons are pressed. But this thread moves so fast, and has changed in topic I guess.

Doesn't that already happen? Or did it just engage clutch.
I want this! And I cant wait for the new AI system!
Nice job, and keep up the good work !
Quote from Hondulu :What do you mean "idiots"?
If one is not as enlightened about racing simulation and all that comes to it as you they automatically become an idiot? That´s harsh man...

Idiot's who don't know how to go into the options and change controls, and when you help them with ONE thing, they REPEATIDLY ASK YOU FOR THE SAME DAMN THINGS AND THEY DON'T USE THEIR BRAINS. Those idiots.
Shouting actually does not represent intelligence too well, I believe replying calm manner is commonly judged to be sign of something greater intelligence than shouting.

So better guide them to right direction and tell them to turn that gray mass called brains on
Quote from jayhawk :Scavier knows that a lot of people use a two pedal wheel, mouse or gamepad. So, I think there will be an option so that the program will cut out the throttle automatically, even if you have your throttle wide open, when you shift to a higher gear. It would have to be that way, I would not think Scawen would go to such extremes as NetKar has. We all know he is for simulation, but is also known to compromise for the sake of fun gameplay.

That's against what has been sherlocked from the translations files: the gear cut and auto blip options have been removed. This is mentioned many times already. I couldn't find anything else related to those options (so that the commands could have been replaced, very unlikely). So there's indication that these options do not exist anymore. If it's not then somehow "built in" to the gearboxes, which would make no sense, how would you turn it off then?

I'm myself suspicious about this too, especially about the blipping. Just doesn't sound like Scawen but I'm hoping it would be true, finally a step towards realism in this area. Would be simply stupid to ruin the new gearbox features by leaving these options available.

And like Kev perfectly said: if you have any controller set to accelerate, you can do it. Everything else is just whining about things you've taken for granted but things that shouldn't be existing in the first place.

Quote from JTbo :Shouting actually does not represent intelligence too well, I believe replying calm manner is commonly judged to be sign of something greater intelligence than shouting.

So better guide them to right direction and tell them to turn that gray mass called brains on

My brain ain't gray. It's the colour it was intended to be. Squishy Pink
Quote from deggis :Doesn't that already happen? Or did it just engage clutch.

I think it used to engage clutch if you kept both buttons down, and when released go back to the gear you where on. But it was removed in one of the versions we had recently as some sort of bug or imperfection. Of course, it hadn't worked because the gear would probably be bad after a spin, but if it did put you to N it would be good enough solution I think.
One thing I simply can't resist saying.

Scawen did sound awfully tired in that video, could not sense passion in his voice, this leads to questions like:

Do you feel allright, is life going fine?
Is LFS starting to be a task that must be completed instead of fun thing that lights spark in you?
Is Scawen's Christmas really hard, everyone wishing and demanding something, million things to do and no rest on sight?

Does Mr. Scawen get enough refreshing fun races without being bullied by stupids asking when patch will be out?

Well, he should join to LX evenings under secret name without telling anyone, there one can get nice racing with lads and no too much of pressure

Anyway I hope things are going well and if there is time that he feels bit down, here are many of guys (and some girls) that surely are ready to cheer up and give energy so you don't need to sound so tired

Meaning of life = enjoying from life
I think he was just trying to sound clear and understandable as possible. Try making a voice over a video and try sound enthusiastic sitting in front of your computer talking on your own. I'm sure that you would sound the same, at least after you've twenty eight times failed to say what you wanted.
This thread is closed

Soon available : Formula BMW FB02
(1389 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG