The online racing simulator
i finished the wheels, i'm not going to post a picture of it i'm having a slight problem with the quick-render materials, but i have a question

have you ever seen wheel with only 4 holes?

its weird looking
i still think this is really weird looking

besides the shadow.. i think it looks pretty realistic
I like the wheels, they seem a bit deep though, almost as if you could put a cake in there. Are you sure you want them that deep?
Quote from XCNuse :i still think this is really weird looking

besides the shadow.. i think it looks pretty realistic

realy nice! can you post a link of a tutorial, how can i do something like this? thx!
I see plenty of 4 lug wheels. Like on my car for example :P. What's so weird about them? What does seem kinda weird is that there seems to be almost no material at the hub part of the wheel - you can see the brake disc hub right behind the lug hole.
And I would hope this wheel isn't for a FWD car!
As far as the model itself goes, looks pretty convincing. You would go a long way with better scenes though. Maybe a small garage or tire shop display or something like that. Nothing complicated, just to give the model some context.
oh right, forgot to say that is hte rear wheel

never made a material for the hub either so its ... hard to see it in that picture
By "material" I didn't mean 3d material. Material as in mass, metal mass in this case. Right now the lug area seems to have 0 thickness, with no metal behind the hole.
The thing about the lip, it's been bothering me and now I've gotten it down. As it stands the hoop portion of the wheel (part facing you) looks like it is the inside facing part because it looks too plain at the part where it meets the tire. Most rims I have seen have a little "bead" there for accentuation.
A valve stem somewhere would also be nice.
Finally, the wheel seems awfully large for a 4 lug
Yeah that was pretty confusing, I totally understand. Some of these "simple" things are the hardest to put into words, especially if the vocabulary isn't there.
I thought you were making a fictional wheel, but if that's the way the real thing is, then that's the way it is (talking about the edge of the hoop). Usually the only alloy wheels I see without a well defined outer rim are those cheap 5 spoke "moderns".
That is some crazy offset for a FWD car!
omg deadlines!

so i have this "client" (actually a friend of my dad) who has asked me (actually my dad is telling me lol) to make his car in 3d so he can decide what type of paint job to do with it, so i hardly agreed, but i started this morning at about 10 in the morning, and.. well this is where i was at about 1

i'll be amazed if anyone [really] knows what this car is without having to cheat and look it up, but i assure you, there aren't many (or atleast i haven't found 1 single picture of this same model) pictures of this
check it out.. its even low poly! (i'm getting better at it, and the xB is really helping me get used to low poly modeling which i'm slowly falling in love with)

now i'm in a holding pattern until he can send me pictures of the cockpit region because its all asymetrical and there aren't any pictures of a rear 3/4 which i need .. but.. 3 hours work.. thats not to shabby, especially being pestered with the whole time by 3dsmax noobies (you know who you are lol)

now i'm going to take a break and wait for him to get to his garage and get some pictures while i play wolfenstein
I take it the ricemobile isn't finished yet?
of course not, this has a due date on it

i did however work a good amount on the lining and whatnot of the interior this morning on it so..
got more pictures... and a sseeerious accuracy check, so this is more.. of what it looks like

and its only 1,647 polys.. not to shabby to be honesty, and i bet i'm wasting a ton compared to what real game models are like

now i just need to get the okay so i can start on the asymetrical parts
wow... i just finished up the wheels and tires, and its only 7525 polys (14718 tri's)

i might just give this to someone to mod it into rfactor or something
ok i finally got the 'okay' to show these off to the public, there is a 3rd one, but its just a straight top down view, but here are low res versions of the bus i was working on earlier
Quote from 24th March 2007 :i can't show it really though due to what it is until i get the "okay" due to its classification, but i will say it is a bus with a purpose, but it will be released to the public .. i believe sometime within this week by a college class to a county in Georgia

basically what it was, is a class project which would be givin 1 million dollars to spend, and what they would do for it, i wont give out many details because i dont know how much i'm supposed to classify this (if at all) but.. whatever, you guys might get to see it soon

so here it is:

2 weeks time to work on it so.. owell who cares, its the idea in this that counts
and if you're wondering why i did the fake grass in the first picture, is because it didn't exactly.. fit infront of their school with the road they had, so i had to do a small mockup and try to make it fit in there and.. its still not pretty but who cares!

its a physical therapy bus, where physical therapists (which is what one of my sisters' is getting her degree in) can go around and work on people, i've been told its like the "blood bus" but i dont know what that is so..

they didn't win; however, they did get a 100 on the project
what program is the best for rendering? a link would be nice is possible Thanks!
i'm using 3dsmax, which is the most common, and for renders i'm using vray 1.5
but if you want to get serious about rendering, i'd say get 3dsmax and stick with mental ray, its what all major companies use (its free fyi) but its also the eldest and the best

anyways.. hey guys, check this out, i think it looks awesome in the hangar
So you need two programs for rendering? Thanks again
kinda - you need 3DS Max, which is a 3D modelling program, in that you open the 3D model of whatever you've got, then you (usually) use a 3rd party peice of software, an add-on, to render the 3D Model that's open - ie Brazil or vRay
You don't need 2 programmes if you do what Nuse said, because the Mental Ray renderer is came with 3Ds max, and there is no need to spend so much money for LFS renders only.
Ya'll are talking as if 3dsMAX itself didn't cost half a penny
There are free modeling programs out there like blender if you want to get into modeling without spending a couple thou on 3dsMAX. I guess there are 'academic versions' of MAX out there, though.
how much 3DS MAX cost?
have you ever done a helicopter model XC?
Quote from funnybone2 :how much 3DS MAX cost?

expensive

few hundred dollars

@CSU, nope
(but i do love airplanes and helicopters )
Quote from XCNuse :expensive

few hundred dollars

@CSU, nope
(but i do love airplanes and helicopters )

its actually a few thousand, but whatever..

hows the rice coming?

A.Nuse's thread of 3d things
(530 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG