The online racing simulator
Thanks for teh gramar sugguestion – will fix it!

Yeah it's dust on the 350D's sensor.

My D80 + Sigma 10–20 was on the tripod and the spare 350D used hand held was not cleaned in ages. Does not make much difference though as the footage itself was not planned to be released 'xcept for documentary purposes only.
Gotcha.

I have a very annoying persistent dust spot on my K100D's sensor. Gonna have to physically remove it soon, and I'm not looking forward to it. Makes me nervous.
I've been fighting with dust recently, too. I'm pretty well in the market for a 18-200 Nikkor solely because swapping lenses is when the evil dust gets in. With 18-200, I've covered the range I'm usually shooting in. Results I've seen from the lens look healthy enough to me, plus it's internal focusing and VR.. all good.
The sensor cleaning mechanism is a gimmick at best, in my opinion.

Takes 15 minutes to clean the sensor, mirror and lens mount connections. I'd rather have less parts to malfunction inside the camera body that I can't switch on my own. In-body VR goes in the same category too, if you ask me.
Canon's newest anti-dust sensors (e.g. on the 40d, 1ds mk3) shake the dust off quite well.

For anyone without one of those cameras, try this:

http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=506

Best cleaning tool I've come across yet.

It's designed as an attachment for their overpriced "arctic butterfly," which builds a static charge in the bristles by spinning the brush. You don't need the attachment. Blast the HDF brush with compressed air to charge the bristles, and then brush the sensor. This is actually the method they used to recommend before they figured out how to charge everybody an extra hundred bucks.

Remember, in most cases you'll be wiping the dust off of the thin layer of glass that protects the sensor, the brush never actually comes in contact with it. Be careful, watch out for moisture in your breath getting on the sensor, and you'll be fine.
Looks very professional Spanky!

Here's a picture of a few stones i found at the beach in italy...

I needed a new pair of workboots and I'm tired of the junk that comes on the truck every few months at work. So, we loaded up the kids, stopped for boots for me, and took them to the outdoor outlet mall. We are walking store to store and I nudge the wife. "See, I'm not so crazy after all, huh?" as I nod over to some guy with a camera stooped down and taking photos of what can only be dirt in the seating area between sidewalks. "No, it's not that I don't think your crazy now, just that now there's two people I think are crazy!" she says....

Of course, I didn't have my camera with me. A shame, because as I was in the boot store getting my workboots, they were out in the car and was watching the skydivers from the airport a half mile down the road. Since it is an outdoor mall, walking between stores, we got to see them jump 2 more times. We went to the airport after the mall to see if we could catch them on another jump, but they were finished by then.

Then on the way home, the moon was lit up just above the tree line right in front of us. It was the biggest moon I have seen yet. It looked unreal it was so big. By the time we got home, it was dark, the moon had risen in the sky, and it was closer to normal size. I would have pulled off the road for a shot of the moon I saw earlier before the sun was completely set.

Lesson: It pays to carry the camera around with you everywhere, even if you want to just stoop and take photos of dirt while skydivers are falling from the sky behind you....
Quote from jibber :Here's a picture of a few stones i found at the beach in italy...

Oooh.. some interesting looking stones there!
Quote from mrodgers :Of course, I didn't have my camera with me.

I learned, long ago, not to go anywhere without my camera. I still goof and forget occasionally, but these days I have a point-and-shoot in my inside coat pocket at all times. It can only hold 18 shots or so, just a tiddly Olympus.. better safe than sorry though!
Quote from Michael Denham :Nice shots guys. Here are a few of mine. I have a Nikon D70 I've been using for 3 years now I guess (or is it 4, I dunno!).

Great pictures man, where's that place with the turquoise water? Looks amazing.
Quote from spankmeyer :The sensor cleaning mechanism is a gimmick at best, in my opinion.

I guess your opinion is wrong.

/me pats his camera with anti-shake sensor and anti-dust system that has never needed more than a blast of air from a rocket blower despite changing lenses in many windy, dusty locations. :smug:

@ Sam: I saw the 18-200 VR when I was in a camera shop this week. It's a lot bigger than I thought it would be, given the size of other lenses or similar range.
Quote from STROBE :@ Sam: I saw the 18-200 VR when I was in a camera shop this week. It's a lot bigger than I thought it would be, given the size of other lenses or similar range.

I'm used to carting around cobbs. I suspect anything less would prolly look out of place on this brick!
Attached images
Olympus-Snaps-019.jpg
Is that specifically yours (i.e. not a generic photo)? How's the mirror lens working for you?
Yeah, it's mine, not generic. I love the lens, though I'm not overly fond of the rings in the bokeh. It's rare that you can turn them to your advantage.. most of the time they're a bit too much of a distraction. Fixed aperture (F8!!) also means it's out of your control. Every now and again I get a chance photo through it that makes my day, though
Cool - just wondered, since the only place I've seen a mirror lens is on a shop shelf - never in use.

Yeah a "full size" camera body is a bit of a brick, but the extra weight and size is usually worth it. I usually have the grip on mine, but that makes it difficult to carry. Currently wondering whether to pull the trigger on a massive holster that can take a gripped A700 + long lens in order to save my right shoulder from the Lowepro Slingshot that I currently use most often.
I have a Lowepro camera backpack that I sling over my shoulder, hang the D1x around my neck, and off I go. I never stop to think about the weight of it all. Perhaps it's because I was always scared I'd forget something for class, never emptied my schoolbag at school and conditioned myself to believe that carrying 40lbs over one shoulder was entirely normal.. not sure

Attached a photo I just took from out of my window across the valley. I do love the flat field that long lenses get, but this lens does get a bit of vignetting. It's not so bad, and it's mint for wildlife shots
Attached images
DSC_1735.jpg
Quote from SamH :I have a Lowepro camera backpack that I sling over my shoulder, hang the D1x around my neck, and off I go. I never stop to think about the weight of it all. Perhaps it's because I was always scared I'd forget something for class, never emptied my schoolbag at school and conditioned myself to believe that carrying 40lbs over one shoulder was entirely normal.. not sure

Lol, that's one approach! To be fair, the Slingshot bag is fine for all of one day. But when it's heavily loaded and you're away somewhere, the issue is carrying it on the same shoulder all one day... then the day after... and the day after... and so on. At least with a holster, you can switch shoulders or shift the load as desired. Unfortunately, the holster I want is nearly as big as a backpack. Which kinda defeats the point of having a holster.

Quote :Attached a photo I just took from out of my window across the valley. I do love the flat field that long lenses get, but this lens does get a bit of vignetting. It's not so bad, and it's mint for wildlife shots

Did I ever mention what a bastard you are? I think I've already previously posted the "view" out of my window, and there's no country lanes or neat front gardens or dry stone walls. Photographically you've got a very rich environment. Lucky bugger.

Also, I see they've invented cars in Yorkshire now.
Tried something new tonight.

Going round a small roundabout on a deserted business park...

On the dual carriageway...

The camera overexposed this one but it still works...

Coming through a busy strip of posh bars, but unfrotunately the bloody taxis (I hate taxis) were lining the street, blocking the view...
Quote from STROBE :Tried something new tonight.

Those pics would suit seat commercials Very nice!
Quote from STROBE :Also, I see they've invented cars in Yorkshire now.

Nahh.. they're all tourists' cars. We still use the horse and cart. If it ain't broke..
Some Shots of a local Hillclimb i visited today.
I have tons of Pics still on my HD, if you want more, or in higher Resolution, i'll gladly upload them.
Attached images
DSC_0202.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0083.jpg
DSC_0027.jpg
DSC_0125.jpg
DSC_0164.jpg
DSC_0201.jpg
DSC_0205.jpg
DSC_0005.jpg
DSC_0021.jpg
DSC_0061.jpg
DSC_0082.jpg
Great pics!

The third and last in particular are gorgeous. Much post-processing on those?
Thanks. All Pics are completely unedited. (apart from resizing)
Attached images
DSC_0097.jpg
DSC_0098.jpg
DSC_0100.jpg
DSC_0110.jpg
DSC_0111.jpg
DSC_0121.jpg
DSC_0128.jpg
DSC_0141.jpg
DSC_0155.jpg
DSC_0166.jpg
DSC_0182.jpg
DSC_0192.jpg
BAh, I always have something to post just after one or two of you post fantastic photos with far better equipment than I....

Anyways, kids are off at the aunt's house for the night. So, wifey and I got to take a little drive without all the "I'm hungry...." "I have to pee...." and all the other noises that come from the rear seat. We ended up at the scenic overlook that has a great view of the river just as the sun was beginning to set.

Wish that dang tree wasn't there in this one. I'd clone it out, but my cloning skills are severely lacking.

I have seen people do some neat things playing with curves in Photoshop. I messed around with curves a little, but it really didn't do a whole lot to the photos over what I usually do (levels, resize, and smartsharpen).

Here's a photo that's sitting on my photobucket from a while ago also. I don't think I've posted it previously, so here it is....

Tried a little process explained in an earlier issue of Popular Photography. It didn't turn out like I wanted though. It was late in the evening with great lighting from the late sun. Wanted to put more of a golden glow on it, but didn't come out like I visioned.
Quote from mrodgers :

I have seen people do some neat things playing with curves in Photoshop. I messed around with curves a little, but it really didn't do a whole lot to the photos over what I usually do (levels, resize, and smartsharpen).

Well with curves you can change the image quite daramtically, like so..

Your shots are great, and I didn't even realise it was a tree in the first one until you mentioned it - thought it was the shoreline with vegetation

Very nice pics Highsider - are up sure there's no PPing going on there? The colours look strangely atmospheric, or was it just due to some excellent light?

Thanks Tomba for the kind words about my messing around. Don't think it'll make it in advertising (far too natural - nothing in advertising is "real"!) especially since the dashboard isn't crisp at 100% on any of then. I blame the cars rather hard suspension.
#625 - Don
there was a skijump event in my town yesterday and being a bit bored, i decided to go and try to take some photos (have never taken photos of skijumps before) - weather wasnt good, but anyway, here is a few shots
http://don.vn.cz/temp/repo/skijumps/

Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG