The online racing simulator
Quote from STROBE :Doing it in camera > doing it in photoshop.

Absobloodylutely!

Some great photos being posted! I've been so busy lately, I haven't had a chance to go anywhere with my camera I'm going to try and grab an hour tomorrow.. I owe it to myself!

bokeh is the reason I needed a DSLR. My Fuji Finepix, even at 10x (380mm) still managed to get everything in focus. Moving from film to digital was a bit of a revelation to me, I never realised before then how much of my photography was totally dependent on DOF for emphasis.

I need an online presentation gallery package. Does anyone know of any? I'd like Flash if I can find it, but I really want minimum maintenance. The Photoshop Flash gallery is okay, but every time I add a new image I have to re-run the routine and upload the results. Plus it's not configurable enough. I need something to run a slideshow, no thumbnail view.. I want it to lift images from a folder, resample at high quality and deliver. Then all I have to do is upload the images to the folder and it will do the rest. Any suggestions?
Quote from Jakg :All you n00bs with your expensive SLR's...

Point n' Shoots can still churn out some good images...

Indeed, tis all I have as well.

But as Strobe said, camera > Photoshop. And as Sam said, you can't get any bokeh, or at least it is very difficult to get any bokeh with a point and shoot. The reason most people want dSLRs is to have far greater control. The others is so they can look cool with a big "professional" camera.

It's all in how you want a shot to look. dSLR cameras are far more capable, but a P&S in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing will produce far better shots than the rich soccermoms who think it is all about the camera and shoot expensive dSLRs in full auto because "it's a good camera."

Examples of bokeh from point and shoots. Mine is on Flickr, shot with a Fuji P&S and very difficult to get. This is absolutely the best bokeh I've ever gotten from my S5700 in comparison to Strobe's beautiful DOF above. Strobe gets it at much better quality simply by opening up his aperture. I get it by a lot of test shots with varying the distance between focal point, distance from subject to lens, and distance between subject and background. Photo posted here quite some time ago, BTW.....

Now, bokeh in your 2nd pink rose shot done in Photoshop attached. I could have spent a bit more time on it and gotten a bit better on the flower selection. Still no where near what you can do with a dSLR, even the cheapest of the Nikon d40 paired up with the inexpensive 50 mm 1.8.....
Attached images
Pink_Rose copy.jpg
Jakg just get the right sort of cam

just lately while waiting for my lens for my 450D to arrive got my self what i call a photographers friend a small quick great little digital for them moments where you don't want to get an slr wet or something this is a great hand, i choose the CANON PowerShot SX100 IS paid 1800rmb
1 800 Chinese yuan = 132.763042 British pounds

Its a great camera with many manual capabilities,

i do have to say it takes an amazing photo it is a 8.0mp with AF

anyway enough of the yabbin and on to photos i work atm during the school holidays as im a primary school teacher atm, for a fashion company in china called p1.cn, i get paid little money to wonder the streets and clubs doing street style photography of people i think are sexy or photos i think are cool they then get there picture emailed to them and put in the p1 mag thats out monthly. i like it because it gives me a good chance to try out so much with my cams.

all images were shrunk if you want a photo tell me and i will email it to you in 4000x2100(depends where i am as well if im in GZ its my laptop pics if in SZ then its the pc pics lol) some pics are with NIKON D80 Canon SX100 and canon 450D just a bunch of randoms hope you like
criticism is appreciated

view more in the album dint want to upload to many and use up to much of the thread
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v475/dooooney/photos/
more to come when i get to my laptop

question for don

how did you get the moving backgrounds on the motocross photos that are more then great photos there fooking great lol

i see you were using you flash along with some other attachments but when i do them sort of photos its a fluke or most turn out blurry all over.

but otherwise mate great photos great :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
Jak, you'll soon be in the money! (congrats!! I got your text, but I had no credit to reply! ) You can buy older PRO DSLRs on Ebay very cheaply now.. that's what I did, and it's worked out really well!
Quote from STROBE :What is it you like about the 40D?

First off its a bigger camera than the xti. It fits my hand much better. It seems to be about the same size as my friend's 5D. He's out of town for a while so I can't compare directly. I bought the battery grip for my xti not for extra battery life, but for more area to hold on to the camera.

Second is the much better AF accuracy. I use AI Servo mode alot and my keeper rate with action shots is much better. The accuracy is just plain better for non action shots as well.

Third is 6.5fps.

It seems to have a small but noticable increase in overall image quality, even though it supposedly uses the same sensor as the XTi. Though it might just be the more accurate AF. High ISO performance is better, plus higher ISO. ISO 3200 noise seems to be only slightly worse than 1600 on my XTi. Live view is neat. I haven't had a chance to play with it seriously yet though. There are 3 custom modes on the dial that save every single parameter on the camera. Custom functions and everything. When you use live view the camera is really really quiet, which can be useful in some situations .

Overall it just feels like a solid, 'real' camera and not a plastic entry level model with compromises to reduce price or attract people moving up from P&S.
Quote from STROBE :Thanks.

They say that 90% of an image is made by the person holding the camera, so don't blame your equipment. Not that I mean it in an egotistical way - simple physics dictates that to get the kind of bokeh in my shots you need a decent sized sensor and a suitably fast lens. No photographic skill required, just open up the lens and shoot.

Ha, I blame my camera for the grainy images, I blame me for bad pictures.
#558 - Don
Quote from Dooonster :question for don

how did you get the moving backgrounds on the motocross photos that are more then great photos there fooking great lol

i see you were using you flash along with some other attachments but when i do them sort of photos its a fluke or most turn out blurry all over.

but otherwise mate great photos great :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

as was already explained, to get blurry background you need to use technique called panning.

when you can get closer to the subject, using flash makes this a bit easier, as it lights the main subject but doesnt affect the background....it could be used on motocross, but i think it won`t work that well on rally - the car will have weird lighting and reflections all over it.

anyway, last night i did something what i wanted to do for a long time - uber long exposures. drove out of town and in the middle of nowhere did a 15 minute exposure - next time i need proper, stable tripod, longer exposure, less wind and perhaps drive even further from city lights
Attached images
lhota_night.jpg
How can you do a 15 minute exposure? II have a D80, and the longest is 30 seconds?

Very nice shot by the way!
#560 - Don
Quote from jibber :How can you do a 15 minute exposure? II have a D80, and the longest is 30 seconds?

Very nice shot by the way!

you should have there a "BULB" mode, which allows you to do practically infinite exposures...but you need a wired remote, which has "shutter lock" - because the exposure takes as long as you hold the shutter button....
Quote from mrodgers :Now, bokeh in your 2nd pink rose shot done in Photoshop attached. I could have spent a bit more time on it and gotten a bit better on the flower selection. Still no where near what you can do with a dSLR, even the cheapest of the Nikon d40 paired up with the inexpensive 50 mm 1.8.....

Helps if you "extend" the background under the flower otherwise when you get a "Halo" effect where the white and background blur together and make a lighter colour.

A quick example of it after doing this is below...

EDIT - Maybe not - seems I deleted the file.

Some more pics below - w00t for the "Close Up" function!
Attached images
100_3696.JPG
100_3697.JPG
100_3698.JPG
100_3702.JPG
100_3703.JPG
100_3704.JPG
100_3705.JPG
100_3707.JPG
100_3708.JPG
Quote from mrodgers :the cheapest of the Nikon d40 paired up with the inexpensive 50 mm 1.8.....

Good luck with the autofocus on that combo...
Quote from STROBE :Good luck with the autofocus on that combo...

Manual focus that much of a lost art? :rolleyes:
With the viewfinder of a D40, not so much lost as just very hard to find.
Does no one here save/upload their files with the EXIF info intact?

Grrrrrrr.....

Well, since the title of the thread is Camera Showoff, I figured I'd do just that. Mainly they are both used for weddings, but that leaves me time to shoot whatever during the week, hence the non-wedding examples...

Edit: Data intact for your pleasure mrodgers.
Attached images
IMG_4202.jpg
IMG_7167.jpg
july 4th - downtown - best - 0012.jpg
new myspace may - 002.jpg
IMG_1489 final_1.jpg
IMG_2116.jpg
Quote from titanLS :Edit: Data intact for your pleasure mrodgers.

Awesome......

Perhaps the forum attachments screws up the info.....

And that's a great shot of the city.
Attached images
untitled.jpg
That's weird. If you right click and save it, then open it in Bridge, it should show all the info, or it did for me anyway.

And thanks!
titan, is that "the bean" in Chicago? I always loved that, but never got a photo in it.

I had to pick up a new freezer yesterday in the Derbyshire Peaks.. gorgeous place, miserable weather, not a single photo One of these days I'll get both the time AND the opportunity!
Quote from mrodgers :Perhaps the forum attachments screws up the info.....

doesn't here..
Attached images
efix_1.jpg
just a few from the theme park the other day with my point and click

hope you like them criticism appreciated
Quote from Renku :doesn't here..

I use Opanda Exif viewer. What is the plug in for that one? I want! I assume that was right clicking and selecting properties. If I use properties in FF, all I get is the typical file name, file size, and dimensional size.

Quote from Dooonster :just a few from the theme park the other day with my point and click

Absolutely stunning! I hope you were able to sell that one. You could have made some good cash from that.

And if that's your girlfriend, you are a lucky man. Lovely girl.
Quote from SamH :titan, is that "the bean" in Chicago? I always loved that, but never got a photo in it.

Indeed it is. Very fun place to shoot.
thanks yes its my gf im in china if i was to sell it id get 10 bucks for it lol

heres some more of the latest

last photo is a photoshop she aint that hot lol
and a couple from the studio with a Nikon d70 of a friend of mine, studio days here in china cost about 400rmb for the studio for the day and u supply the rest so clothes and cameras and so on you pay more if you want them to supply(i dont own the D70 she does lol all i know is its a ok photo)

Camera Showoff
(5560 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG