The online racing simulator
Quote from ORION :Have you tried some patches between P2 and P9?
If you can say exactly where is was "implemented" , Scawen can probably find it easier.

OT: your Join date in the Forum is different than the one in your sig, maybe you should contact Vic about this

Hehe i went from P2 to P9...no one in between...

The date is a gimmick someone started, i dont recall who. It was the join date of RSC forum...
A small bug: sometimes LFS saves replay with "FINISHED" string. Now this string varies with translation, and when opening a replay, the Russian word "ФИНИШИРОВАЛ" is shown with Latin charset.
Suddenly I have same trouble as Richar Thorp, my server does not show up in serverlist. I used to do it with no trouble but after P9 ( from 2 - direct to 9 ) the problem has occured. What is the solution to this- if someone could please help me ?
I can't think why that could be.

I can see a P9 host "DPRT TEST" in the in-game list.
Quote from Astro [ BJRL ] :Suddenly I have same trouble as Richar Thorp, my server does not show up in serverlist. I used to do it with no trouble but after P9 ( from 2 - direct to 9 ) the problem has occured. What is the solution to this- if someone could please help me ?

I just joined this server a while ago using a P9 client - seems to be okay. It was a bit laggy to me but other than that it seemed fine.
Quote from Astro [ BJRL ] :Suddenly I have same trouble as Richar Thorp, my server does not show up in serverlist. I used to do it with no trouble but after P9 ( from 2 - direct to 9 ) the problem has occured. What is the solution to this- if someone could please help me ?

Sorry for the disturbience. It seemed I jumped to conclusions as I started the Server and opened another LFS game but could not see my server on the serverlist. I asked a friend to see if he could join, but as he did not turn up, I just guessed it was not working. All seems ok but for the Lag-thing.
I tried again. Took my Backup of LFS Alpha with P2 and installed it on my HD. I then patched P2 with P9 and made a server called "PLEASE HELP!!" Can somebody try to join? I can see the server at LFS World.

EDIT: Our GURU Scawen joined the server and it worked very well. Strange it didn`t yesterday. I did the same thing today when i patched P2 with P9. I just feel sorry for the DPRT guys who couldn`t race on my server last night...but next sunday guys it`s ready again..
Now its strange.... closed the game after Scawens visit. 2 minutes after i opened the server again and now a danish driver tells me that it doesn`t work!! It tries to do "Connecting to host" and then he is back in the menu.

I didn`t change anything. Scawen could try again if he is around...

Edit: they simply cant see me in-game. Several people tried....hhmmmmm. How on earth could Scawen join?
Quote from Richard Torp :Now its strange.... closed the game after Scawens visit. 2 minutes after i opened the server again and now a danish driver tells me that it doesn`t work!! It tries to do "Connecting to host" and then he is back in the menu.

I didn`t change anything. Scawen could try again if he is around...

Edit: they simply cant see me in-game. Several people tried....hhmmmmm

I'm trying currently and getting the same result ("Connecting to host" and then dropped back) - what port have you set the server to? The default?
Quote from xaotik :I'm trying currently and getting the same result ("Connecting to host" and then dropped back) - what port have you set the server to? The default?

yes as always...

Ill just try to restart PC...5 minutes and im back...

Edit: I just uninstalled my Firewall. restarted the PC. And then opened the "PLEASE HELP!!" server...63392 is the port as usual. The Firewall in XP is also disabled...
No joy, I get the same result. I'll try again while sniffing the packets to see what's up.
I will try to install my backup again on my HD and then patch it from P2 to P9 again to see if it works in that way...

Edit: Done. Started the game with newly patched S2 P2-P9. Firewalls and Anti is disabled..
Well, what I see from my side is that your TCP and UDP port 63392 are filtered and your host doesn't respond to my client at all.
Quote from xaotik :Well, what I see from my side is that your TCP and UDP port 63392 are filtered and your host doesn't respond to my client at all.

I will now try to close my P9 server and start my P2 server with the same name...

EDIT: Tried to run my P2 server and it went very well. Now im back to P9 server and no one joins...i think i`ll give up now. I cant use P9 for hosting. Thx guys for trying to help..
I cant connect to your server, it's stuck at "Connecting to host"

[EDIT]
Im using P7 on my notebook btw... just going to update

[EDIT]
same
Quote from Misko :There seems to be a problem if someone wants to use characters from other codepages in the player name. I think the problem is when LFS stores the playername as the filename.ply.

Initially all is well when I make a new player and type in my name with all the characters (I think that everybody else with p3 or p4 patch could also see that name correctly). Problem is when I switch back to another (normal, Latin-1) player, then LFS can't read the strange characters from the strange filename, all I get is the first few letters which were normal, the rest of my name is gone. I can select that "crippled" name but theres no use for it, I have to type it again. Filename itself is not affected it is there in the misc folder, but sometimes it renames it like it appears in LFS (leaves only the first few letters). I'd need to test few more times to see exactly what happens in every case but I hope I was clear enough about the problem.

It doesn't matter if use the default for me codepage 1250 or type ^C and write Cyrillic playername, same strange things happen. If I type with 1250 characters filename automatically starts with ^E.

Ok, although most people don't get this problem, i really need to figure out some way round this. I've made a nice new text entry system whch should work intuitively.

But it doesn't solve this player name problem that you reported... and i don't know exactly how many people are going to have this problem that you get. Maybe it's hundreds of people! So far we know that your pc and nesrulz's pc have that problem. But nesrulz only reported it with language filenames, but maybe he would get the same problem that you got, if he used a "high ascii" character in the middle of his name. For example ê - the character that seemed to go wrong in nesrulz's file system - can either of you make a name like abcêabc and then click on another name, then reload that one with the ê in the middle of it?

OK here's the step-by-step test request :

- Make a name which contains a "high ascii" character about half way through
- Click on another name which definitely works
- Now, can you see the special new name correctly?
- If so - then your computer doesn't have the high ascii problem
- If not - please see what the ply file looks like in the misc folder

Basically i need to understand the problem better - is it really a windows bug - is it because it saves the player file wrongly, or does it just report the file name wrongly to LFS, when LFS tries to get a list of names... is it all high ascii characters that go wrong or just some of them.

THANKS!
When the test patches started coming, I used the latest one at all times. But when I joined the spdo server for Vixen Challenge, josh's name came out as spdoosh - I couldn't see the J (blue spdo, white Josh).

LFS Stats picked it up correctly after the race when I used it on the replay, but I could only see osh.

A couple of rounds later, after Josh had upgraded his test patch I think, he changed his name whilst on the server, and it appeared as spdoJosh. The stats program again showed it correctly (although I don't have a replay of him changing his name).

So I think it is/was a LFS thing rather than a windows thing in this case, and as far as I know it was all using the default code-pages.
Tristan that's really nothing to do with it.

You'd have to read Misko's post very carefully to see what i'm talking about - he can't even load a player that he created. I'm talking about a windows bug with reporting high ascii characters in filenames. This is a simple thing you are talking about - Josh just had a extra ^ in the middle of his name. Must have been ^4spdo^7^Josh and in old LFS, ^J would appear as J but now it means switch to Japanese code page.
Quote from Scawen :Must have been ^4spdo^7^Josh and in old LFS, ^J would appear as J but now it means switch to Japanese code page.

So the ^ is still colour change key in LFS? So is now a good time to change the colour change key?

Lucky for us, T7R Tag has not been affected
No, the new system in P10 which is not yet released, has a special thing to change the colours, you never need to type ^ again but yes it is still encoded that way.

Please guys, i only want to discuss the one remaining problem.

See this post, particularly Misko / nesrulz / anyone else who can reproduce this problem - i need these reports :

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=40608#post40608
It's not the bug you are looking for (doesn't happen here), but I just noticed that you cannot create a username with a Yen symbol using the Japanese codepage:

- Create a new player
- Switch to Japanese (Ctrl + Msg)
- Type \ it will show up correctly as a Yen ¥
- But when clicking on Ok LFS shows a \ (default codepage) instead of the Yen (Japanese codepage). Looking at the filename it just forgets to add the ^J prefix.
- Workaround: Change the filename from ^d.ply to ^J^d.ply manually.
Good find Flo. I can reproduce that in P9. And i've figured out how that happened. Good thing is i've tested and the new text extry system handles that correctly so it doesn't need fixing now.

-----

Note to anyone who just finds this last post, i need some results on a special problem affecting only a few people. Misko / nesrulz / anyone else who can reproduce this problem - special test request here :

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=40608#post40608
Before I installed P9 I could type:
/w pb
and get my pb without making a message.
Now I have to press T for message and then type /w pb in the message field to get it.
/ = shift 7 on a swedish keyboard.

Attached screenshot if language_kb test program.
Attached images
mykeyboardsettings.JPG
Quote from Fordman :So the ^ is still colour change key in LFS? So is now a good time to change the colour change key?

Lucky for us, T7R Tag has not been affected

yeh but it would be nice to have a orange key..
Quote from BulliT :Before I installed P9 I could type:
/w pb
and get my pb without making a message.
Now I have to press T for message and then type /w pb in the message field to get it.
/ = shift 7 on a swedish keyboard.

Sorry but that can't be fixed - it's the side-effect of a fix for a much worse problem.

LFS now uses the windows virtual key codes, for keys like 'T' and '/' and '1' and '2' etc... And that's more to do with position on the keyboard than the actual character. On the UK keyboard, the '/' key is the 3rd character after the letters on the bottom row (= the key to the left of the right shift key). It's possible you may find that key does the '/' function that you are expecting on the SHIFT+7.

Now that sounds like a problem but the alternative is worse : people with totally different keyboards (like Cyrillic or Greek) had to switch to Latin keyboard every time, just to press the 'T' key, then back to their own keyboard to type the message. That made it very hard for them.
This thread is closed

TEST Patch P4 (now P12)
(556 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG