The online racing simulator
TEST Patch P4 (now P12)
(556 posts, closed, started )
Quote from sazea :I hope you're jocking? The physics is 97%? please dude, play another game than LFS (GTL for example) and after, see the difference with LFS . (yes, the physics are better than the S1 phisic's)
Perhaps you only play with the UF1000? so, if the answer is yes, change your car dude

Well... Currently LFS is the only sim that makes the car respond like my real car does when I drive it at high speeds... So either my real car is f*cked up, or LFS is very good in the physics department... No, it's not perfect, but it's better than anything out there that I've driven, except NR2003S, but their physics only works that good on NASCARs.
If you look at the date of the first post in this thread it is on the 15th of October 2005. Today is the 26th of November. A month was spent on making LFS more enjoyable to a greater audience (note that we don't even know what Eric is doing and some of his new work could come in the next incompatible patch). I assure you that this was a time well spent from both a business and a community perspective and I'm hardly affected by the translations. The physics are good. There is a known aero bug... that's about the only serious thing. I don't understand why you complain about tyre physics when LFS has to most advanced of the lot at the moment. If you find LFS difficult to drive, maybe its because you are missing the infinate driver aids provided by other sims and you cannot handle the car without them or you are on the wrong setup. We were discussing the default setups in another thread in the Improvement Suggestions forum. You will find that most people do not struggle with the "constant oversteer with neutral throttle going through corners at realistic speeds" once they gain some experience. The only problem that does exist with the tyre physics is at low speeds which don't really affect a race that much because you hardly ever go 30kph in a race (except off the line, pitting etc). This makes the problem of lower priority than the language stuff and I am glad that Scawen has dealt with that now as he probably won't be comming back to. The game is very much usable and gives you better feedback than practically all other sims on the market, complete or in development. If you think differently, you are entitled to do so.
Just for interest...
I think there can be a misunderstanding sometimes, about how the things come around. If you don't know the full picture, you might think that we sit there with "Language Support" on one side and "Physics Updates" on the other, thinking, which one shall we do? And then take this apparently random decision to go one way or the other.

But it's not like that at all! The work takes on a course of its own, a bit like water flowing down a hill. In this case, this whole language section started with a one-day experiment with a Japanese codepage, requested by a Japanese person and then crudely implemented by me into the old system. It worked nicely, in one sense, but you would need the same font on your computer, as the person typing the text on the remote computer. At the same time, there were mentions about Russian and Greek, and with a little experimentation and reading up about codepages, i got this idea of a way to implement several codepages into the game without using up much more memory. It looked like around a week's worth of work, and indeed, most of the characters were implemented and fixed up in a week or two.

Anyway the story continues because there are more and more complications that come along with the support of multiple codepages. The translation codepages might be different from the user's keyboard, and the user can change keyboard layout at any time, meaning that there are different codepages within a single line of text. There are many different ways of text being drawn in LFS, so many situations that come up! Anyway, even when these were ironed out, there was still a problem with entering text - in fact some old problems with colours and filename characters but now they had got worse. So, a new text entering system had to be created!

All this coding involved changes in thousands of lines of code - and high speed work to get it all done, meant there were some bugs in the new systems, and overlooked issues that needed fixing. There was never a time, when it would have seemed a good idea to scrap everything and go back to the start - new translators were working on 5 new translations that couldn't be properly supported before - and it was always exciting that we were going to cover more of the world with this "international" online simulator! So that's what i mean, the work takes on a course of its own and is basically unstoppable.

The nice thing is that we are here now, with a stronger and better version of LFS than ever before, more accessible to more people in the world, and i'm free again to work on the physics that i have been thinking about!
Omg!
Damn it Axus! Beat me to it!!

I was just about to point out that within just over a month there have been at LEAST 11 Patches to LFS.

These where not just translations, they made improvements each time, read the thread, read whats fixed and added each time.

S2 Licenced drivers have a great oppertunity each time a test patch is released to see where the front line development of this project is heading. To those who dont download the individual patches, I pity you, your missing a lot, and missing your chance to get things changed, fixed etc...

The thread is not about the physics (which btw im sure these guys know what they are doing), its about these test patches and just the fact that there have been 12 in a month, personally I feel thats quite amazing.

For what its worth.
Quote from kokoi :Does it mean that the translation part is finished??? or close to? so if this patch12 is the last one, maybe you should realise it on a more "official" way?

Yes, very close. There's only this one small bug in P12 (a strange character where it should be a down or up arrow). So there needs to be a final test P13 and we'll be able to make an announcement on liveforspeed.net with a special change log for the official patch (not including every bug fix for the previous test patch).
thanks scawen, that reassures me

@Axus : I don't find LFS hard to drive (it would be the opposite in fact, look @ my times, and results in ESCC )
the problems with the tyre is in the grip, and the way cars are loosing it
in LFS, the loss of grip, and it's recovery seems to be linear, you loose it step by step, and you recover it step by step, and the problem of gip at low speed should comes from this
in a real car, especially with slicks tyres, the loss of grip comes suddenly, and it is possible to catch up with only small errors
so in lfs, to be fast we are always sliding a lot, and it makes the tyres warm
look at real racing, they are not sliding like this (of course they slide a bit )
Quote from Kid_Paddle :thanks scawen, that reassures me

@Axus : I don't find LFS hard to drive (it would be the opposite in fact, look @ my times, and results in ESCC )
in LFS, the loss of grip, and it's recovery seems to be linear, you loose it step by step, and you recover it step by step, and the problem of gip at low speed should comes from this
in a real car, especially with slicks tyres, the loss of grip comes suddenly, and it is possible to catch up with only small errors
look at real racing, they are not sliding like this (of course they slide a bit )

Ah - constructive cricism
anyway to go back to older versions?
Yeah, why didn't you mention this in the improvement section instead like axus said, I think it would've made a better discussion?
But I understand what you mean with the linearity of the tyremodel!
Quote from WGooden :anyway to go back to older versions?

What reason could there be, to go back to an older version? This is compatible with versions as far back as P, but has less bugs and several improvements. Which older version do you want to go back to?
You can get wheel alignment settings out of replays in patch P
Quote from axus :You can get wheel alignment settings out of replays in patch P

Hehe I think you hit the nail squarely on the head m8
Quote from Scawen :What reason could there be, to go back to an older version? This is compatible with versions as far back as P, but has less bugs and several improvements. Which older version do you want to go back to?

I think he wants to use Mecanik
Quote from Misko :Yeah, we seem to have the arrow shown in our default codepages in Windows.

Yes, it's very simple - just seen in the code. It's using the codepage of the selected translation, but these should be Latin buttons. I expect to put up a final test patch P13 with that fix, on its own thread, this evening, with a P13 dedi and a compacted list of changes, for the more official update.
Quote from Kid_Paddle :thanks scawen, that reassures me

I have done some experimanting lately and I think most of the weirdness we think is in the physics is nothing more then poor or incorrect unrealistic setups. This is not the place to go in to these things so I will leave it for another thread dedicated to the topic.
one quick O/T question for scawen while we're here. how do you feel about Mecanik etc.

thanks for the work dude, i don't care if the physics aren't top of the list, it's cool to see all kinds of internationality creeping in to LFS,

WORLD DOMINATION WILL BE YOURS
Quote from Scawen :Yes, it's very simple - just seen in the code. It's using the codepage of the selected translation, but these should be Latin buttons. I expect to put up a final test patch P13 with that fix, on its own thread, this evening, with a P13 dedi and a compacted list of changes, for the more official update.

Will the final patch still be compatible? Will it remain P13 or will it go to Q?
Quote from Theafro :how do you feel about Mecanik etc.

We don't object to performance enhancing mods as long as they can't be used online on unmodified hosts to gain an advantage over other racers.
Quote from axus :Will the final patch still be compatible?

Yes
Quote from axus :Will it remain P13 or will it go to Q?

We'll see
The new feature for wheel - quick buttons F9, F10, F11 and F12 doesn`t work for me. Nothing happens, besides, its writed CTRL+F** there, but it is just F**

Sorry for writing useless text
Quote from Lible :The new feature for wheel - quick buttons F9, F10, F11 and F12 doesn`t work for me. Nothing happens, besides, its writed CTRL+F** there, but it is just F**

:bananadea :banghead: :wtf2:
Hmm, sorry Lible, i don't really get what you mean.

if you enter something in "Options... Game... CTRL +... F9 to F12, then you should be able to press CTRL+F9 to F12 to make that text appear.

When you have done that, then you can assign them to a wheel button.
Yeah right, i was so sleepy when posted that. Sleeped now and can understand what that does
I am very happy about these new language patches, even though they haven't really added anything to LFS for ME (other than the nice must-pit stuff on F12 etc). It's good to know that LFS can be enjoyed by a wider audience, although now I might actually have to learn to read all these languages so I can say sorry in the correct language

But at the same time I can see why people are clamouring for a physics patch. Scawen is obviously working hard (as are Victor and Eric), and yet the physics, the holy grail of car simulation, aren't changing. To those that are relatively new to LFS it can seem a bit weird that the work isn't occuring in the important sections of LFS. Scawens comments above have helped, and thats a good thing.

Part of the problem is that LFS is now so close in terms of physics (excusing bugs like the high nose thingy) that the 'faults' seem much more obvious to the newbie, whereas in S1 it was clearly ALL a work in progress (but still very good). Because it's so close, those new to the community must wonder why the little improvement needed (but not little necessarily in coding terms) is being ignored.

Personally, I am happy with LFS. I can see what the devs want to achieve in the not so distant future, and they've made it fairly clear what they want to achieve in the more distant future. I'm confident that they'll get there, which is why I paid for an extra big of Scawens car (an extra £12 worth ). But newbies might not see that.

What I would like to know is how the kitchen is going? It's been replastered recently, but I'd imagine it's covered in language notes that Scawen has made whilst working, and probably needs replastering to get rid of the dents made by his pen/pencil. Or perhaps just tiling...

Actually Scawen, if you had all you walls made with the Etch-a-Sketch system, you could make notes whenever you want whereever you want, and erase them back to the plain 'wallpaper' mode at the swipe of a plastic 'blade'... The perfect solution.
Let me help you, in estonian sorry is vabandust
This thread is closed

TEST Patch P4 (now P12)
(556 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG