The online racing simulator
TEST Patch P4 (now P12)
(556 posts, closed, started )
Quote from detail :Okay, to make it clear, what is this "camber adjustment"? First of all we don't have such a general word as "adjustment". There are many similar with different tones of meaning, instead. Is this "adjustment" a process or there is a special regulator? Now I can translate it as "camber regulation", in which "regulation" would be a process.

Well, in a simplistic way one could call it "correction" ("compensation" is probably more accurate). Because essentially you're correcting the preset camber angle of the specific suspension type, while tralining arm suspensions don't have "built-in" camber, so in essense you are setting the camber angle. Atleast that's my take on it.
Quote from xaotik :Well, in a simplistic way one could call it "correction" ("compensation" is probably more accurate). Because essentially you're correcting the preset camber angle of the specific suspension type, while tralining arm suspensions don't have "built-in" camber, so in essense you are setting the camber angle. Atleast that's my take on it.

But what is this "correction"? An action?

Hmm, actually for me it would be more suitable to name it "camber regulator", an entity.
Quote from detail :But what is this "correction"? An action?

Hmm, actually for me it would be more suitable to name it "camber regulator", an entity.

I suppose so - beats me what would be more suitable in russian. I was just going based on the function of this label in the pit strategy menu.

However, I still think that based on context alone and from the other readings that are displayed when this option comes up the user understands that it's a relative adjustment. Anyhow... we'll probably get reactions/questions about it from people using the localised versions if there's any misunderstanding.
Suggestions: 1) language strings for "fps" and "ms". 2) Is it possible to make a string for date format (for files lists)?
Great work Scawen & thx!
Hi Scawen,

I have been for a while off LFS due to me very busy in my job:-(.
Reading that various changes and final support of my language really made a nice smile on my face.Great work Scawen and I really apreciate it.

I think I could take next week a few hours free and start chatting Czech with my German and UK LFS mates :hihi:

Really good work Scawen and keep well.
Quote from detail :But what is this "correction"? An action?

It's not an active process.

This camber adjust is like turning a a camber adjusting bolt or changing a spacing plate. On a macpherson strut, it is a change in the angle between the wheel axle and the king pin.

The reason for this is because, if you have a suspension that varies its camber depending on its position, then no longer can you say "this setting gives this camber". It depends on the fuel load and passengers, spring strength and ride height reduction, which all change the camber. So just as in real life, you have to set the car up quite closely to how you want it, then adjust the camber at the end, measuring the "live" camber, the actual angle between the wheel and the road.

So it's just an adjusted bolt or bolts, or spacing plates, etc (various possible adjustment mechanisms). Not a regulator. Just some extra camber added to the angle that already exists.

So, suitable words are :

Additional camber
Camber adjustment
Extra camber

The reason for the distinction is because the value on that slider simply does not represent the true camber as measured at the wheel. For example it could even be negative while the wheel leaned out, with a very high setup.

But, as xaotik said, the one in the garage has a live camber next to it, so if that makes it obvious then no problem, just leave it as camber. I just don't want people to think they can just set that value and that will be the camber of that wheel.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Reading that various changes and final support of my language really made a nice smile on my face.Great work Scawen and I really apreciate it.

I'm pleased you're happy about that!

I remember you were asking me about the support for Czech characters in the year 2003!
Quote from detail :Suggestions: 1) language strings for "fps" and "ms".

OK... done, and uploaded, with some other changes, including help file update as well - removed / changed various references to S1.

By the way, the 3-character "def" and "msg" are short for "default" and "message". I can't make them bigger, as they must fit on tiny buttons and these buttons must stay tiny, because they are for selecting the code page, which most users will not want to be confused by. You'll see what i mean in P8.

Quote from detail :2) Is it possible to make a string for date format (for files lists)?

Do you mean something like MM/DD/YY (american) and DD/MM/YY (european) to just change the order?

What would be the way you do it in Russian?
Quote from Scawen :Do you mean something like MM/DD/YY (american) and DD/MM/YY (european) to just change the order?

What would be the way you do it in Russian?

Yes, I mean right this. We write DD.MM.YY, as well as Italians.
Quote from detail :Yes, I mean right this. We write DD.MM.YY, as well as Italians.

OK then, you don't really need it changed, because it's already in the UK / European / Russian style DD.MM.YY ?

As far as i know, it's only Americans who like it in the strange order :

> MM.DD.YY - Medium thing, Small thing, Big thing.

All the rest of us like it the sensible way :

> DD.MM.YY - Small thing, Medium thing, Big thing.

If it's only Americans who want it the other way, sorry but they can just get used to it the European way.
Oooops, to be exact I meant format string. We use points as you can notice.
BTW, what parts have changed in the help file?

added: translated the new strings. Codepages, oh, no! So pity...
Quote from detail :BTW, what parts have changed in the help file?

Hmm, it's hard to say, as i didn't keep notes of everything i changed.

Basically, everywhere it previously said "S1" and had no mention of "S2", i either :

- added a reference to S2

or :

- changed it to "licensed racers" or something else, not so specific.

You can probably find the things i changed by searching your own text for the word "S1".

I also deleted a section called "about_lfs" which wasn't very relevant any more (was for S2 demo).
Quote from detail :Codepages, oh, no! So pity...

How do you mean?

Do you mean, that you wish it could automatically detect the correct code page from the selected keyboard layout? Or something else?

I haven't looked into that automatic thing yet, so i don't know if it will work or not, but i needed something to solve it right now for people who currently need to swap between different code pages. Someone requested this to switch between Central European and Cyrillic code pages.

[ EDIT : The message to select a code page comes up when you click on a small button "def : C" or "msg : C" in the message box. It still does the automatic input code page selection at startup depending on the Windows ANSI Code Page setting - just like the previous patches. ]
No, I don't imply any suggestion, these are just emotions. I'll also need switch between codepages, so let it be so.

It just made me remember the end of 1990s in the www. Before maybe 2000-2001 there were problems with codepages in the web (there were 4 Russian cp's!). Then applications learned to detect them, win1251 won the battle, and then UTF8 came.

In LFS it's another case, so I'm sure it will work fine.

[ EDIT: Who's working with English help file? Please, correct the numbers of max connections, max ai+human etc. max_cars, max_guests ]
I spotted an error in english language file (and in LFS): 56k modem does not have a 56 kb/s upload, it has only 36 kb/s upload. So the available upload can't be 7 KB/s, its more like 4.5 KB/s. (4.5 is what I get when I enter 36 manually as upload)

I updated Serbian translation with new additions, and help file, but there was a strange problem. All my " characters in help file appeared as /" (or was it \") and even like ///" in places where there was colour code. That made LFS stop reading the text in the game at that point, so the help text ended there at the first /" character. I corrected all that, downloaded, put in LFS and all is well. Problem happend in the file that was included in P7 patch.

Also theres a tiny confusion in this line:
3a_novtnolo No vote - no local players in race

Isn't it clearer to say something like: No vote - you must be in race ?
or even: You can't vote as a spectator - you must be in race ?

Who could be the other local player? Hm maybe local AI can, so I could vote for them?
What do the new "def" and "msg" mean?

Def - Default ?
Msg - Message ?
yep ^^
Quote from Misko :I updated Serbian translation with new additions, and help file, but there was a strange problem. All my " characters in help file appeared as /" (or was it \") and even like ///" in places where there was colour code. That made LFS stop reading the text in the game at that point, so the help text ended there at the first /" character. I corrected all that, downloaded, put in LFS and all is well. Problem happend in the file that was included in P7 patch.

I've seen this once before! We need to get Victor to fix it. Exactly how did it happen, how did these characters go wrong? Was it when you uploaded a file that was edited offline, or were you editing the help file using the online system?

Quote from Misko :Also theres a tiny confusion in this line:
3a_novtnolo No vote - no local players in race

Isn't it clearer to say something like: No vote - you must be in race ?

Who could be the other local player? Hm maybe local AI can, so I could vote for them?

Yes, it's worded strangely because you can vote if there is a local AI player in the race.
I have the same / with help files sometimes. Im so bored of fixing it every time.

Quote from Misko :Isn't it clearer to say something like: No vote - you must be in race ?

What about You can`t vote as spectator - local player must be in race... or wait, this is even more strange. It would be easier if just NO VOTE - player must be in race
Quote from Lible :It would be easier if just NO VOTE - player must be in race

Other alternatives that might sound easier to translate are:
"No vote - no local entry"
"You cannot vote - there is no local entry in the game"

I used the second one for the greek translation.
Quote from Lible :I have the same / with help files sometimes. Im so bored of fixing it every time.

Can you explain how you did it? As i asked Misko, was it by editing online, or by uploading a help file that you had edited offline? Any way we can help Victor reproduce the problem, will help him fix the problem.
i fixed it a while ago, so it shouldn't happen anymore. But yes, those couple added \'s (not /) should be removed. They won't magically disappear unfortunately. Sorry about that.
Hmm, depends what you mean by "a while ago". Because Misko seems to be commenting about something that's happened between yesterday and today (I only uploaded the new help file changes yesterday).
I have a problem with a special key in LFS in the latest patches :

I was used to have my "Scroll Lock"-Key on keyboard as a "Push to Talk"-button in Teamspeak (because its not used by any other program).
It never interfered with LFS before the latest P-Test-patches.
I tried Teamspeak now with the latest P7-testpatch and when i press (and hold) my Scroll-Lock-Key i repeatedly get the "not-assigned-button-error-sound" in LFS (I hope u get what i mean), so its impossible to use it as PTT-Button anymore.
I think it is related to the new language extensions, cause it worked before and maybe the recognition of the keypresses is different than before.

Is there another solution to the problem than mapping a different button ?
This thread is closed

TEST Patch P4 (now P12)
(556 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG