The online racing simulator
TEST Patch P4 (now P12)
(556 posts, closed, started )
Quote from TRM.13 :There is a very little "bug" in characters in LFS: In spanish we can say "first" masculine or feminine and if you resume "first" like "1st", we say like "1º" masculine and "1ª" feminine. But even with the p4 patch, we still can't say "1ª" because instead of "ª" there is a square

Ok...

I've got two questions about that.

1) The circle, in the masculine version, should it actually be the letter o and not really a circle?

2) In the feminine version, i suppose it is the letter a... so, should it be the same as the small a in LFS, not like one here in the forum? Umm, what i'm trying to say is, because the a in LFS doesn't have this bar over the top of it, i guess the a in the 1ª should not have the bar over the top either?
They are short for "primero/primera", "segundo/segunda", etc - so they are indeed a simple superscript "o" and "a".
Well, in Russian the verbs in past tense aren't conjugated, but have grammatic gender and a plural form. Imagine, how many strings regarding online activity there are (connected, disconnected, pitted in, left pits, voted...).

Having only 1 string for most of them, I had either to write all in present tense (which looks loosely), or write everything in masculine gender, assuming that there won't be any women (which was done actually).
Quote from detail :Having only 1 string for most of them, I had either to write all in present tense (which looks loosely), or write everything in masculine gender, assuming that there won't be any women (which was done actually).

Good point - there's the same "problem" with Greek and the genders of nouns, pronouns and articles (I assume the same applies to many other languages) so I've resorted to using just the masculine gender as well.
Quote from xaotik :They are short for "primero/primera", "segundo/segunda", etc - so they are indeed a simple superscript "o" and "a".

Quote from scawen :The circle, in the masculine version, should it actually be the letter o and not really a circle?"

so, little "o" and "a"
Glad to see you back Scawen

Have been absent myself, health, Work and computer problems are making me me a bit absent from LFS, hope to comeback full strentgh soon enough...

Best Sim Ever still

Regards to Vic and Eric
There seems to be a problem if someone wants to use characters from other codepages in the player name. I think the problem is when LFS stores the playername as the filename.ply.

Initially all is well when I make a new player and type in my name with all the characters (I think that everybody else with p3 or p4 patch could also see that name correctly). Problem is when I switch back to another (normal, Latin-1) player, then LFS can't read the strange characters from the strange filename, all I get is the first few letters which were normal, the rest of my name is gone. I can select that "crippled" name but theres no use for it, I have to type it again. Filename itself is not affected it is there in the misc folder, but sometimes it renames it like it appears in LFS (leaves only the first few letters). I'd need to test few more times to see exactly what happens in every case but I hope I was clear enough about the problem.

It doesn't matter if use the default for me codepage 1250 or type ^C and write Cyrillic playername, same strange things happen. If I type with 1250 characters filename automatically starts with ^E.
Misko's comment made a little cog turn in my brain...

I went to the "data/languages" dir and renamed the filename to ^GΕλληνικά.txt - and now the language is listed with the proper greek name in the list...

And I somehow think that would actually work for people that don't have the greek codepage selected on their machine.
Attached images
lfs_language_list.jpg
xaotik : That's how it's supposed to work, with the player names. I won't use that method for the language filenames, better to use the new language name in the file.

Misko : That seems to be a general problem on your computer. It has problems with file names containing some characters above the normal ascii range. Exactly the same as the problem you reported here with the name of the Catalan language.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=28105#post28105
Quote from Scawen :xaotik : That's how it's supposed to work, with the player names. I won't use that method for the language filenames, better to use the new language name in the file.

Ah, gotcha - and there I was thinking this made the "language in filename" thing redundant.

Btw, there's a slight problem with one of the greek characters. When a diaeresis diacritic is applied to a capital iota (I) it appears as a latin lowercase "i" with the diaeresis above it. Screenshot includes the correct form.
Attached images
lfs_greek_error00.jpg
Quote from xaotik :Ah, gotcha - and there I was thinking this made the "language in filename" thing redundant.

I had thought that at one point, but it's bad for two reasons :

(1) some translations would have apparently ridiculous file names, like ^G[random accented latin letters].txt

(2) Misko or others with a similar Windows setup wouldn't be able to load many language files at all - and that's worse than the player name problem...

Quote from xaotik :Btw, there's a slight problem with one of the greek characters. When a diaeresis diacritic is applied to a capital iota (I) it appears as a latin lowercase "i" with the diaeresis above it. Screenshot includes the correct form.

Thanks, will fix. I've been working through this thread fixing all things. So don't worry, anyone else, if i haven't commented on your reports / requests. Better just check i've sorted everything in the next patch.
I think the French button is wrong to. It's spelled 'Français'. There's quite a big problem in there
Quote from boosterfire :I think the French button is wrong to. It's spelled 'Français'. There's quite a big problem in there

Shows up like that in that screenshot due to my machine's codepage - after Scawen finishes the new implementation which reads the language name off the file instead of the filename it'll be okay...
Is it possible that P4 changes someting to the key mappings? I got a strage issue on my German WinXP with a German Keyboard layout.
Since Patch P4 the CTRL + F3 and CTRL + F4 (chat messages) does not work anymore. CTRL + F1 and CTRL + F2 etc. work fine and F3 and F4 without CTRL also... illepall

Do have a easy chance to remove P4, to make sure that this is really related to the patch and not to someting different?

CU
Scarap
Quote from Scarap :Since Patch P4 the CTRL + F3 and CTRL + F4 (chat messages) does not work anymore. CTRL + F1 and CTRL + F2 etc. work fine and F3 and F4 without CTRL also... illepall

Do have a easy chance to remove P4, to make sure that this is really related to the patch and not to someting different?

It's ok - thanks for the report.

I can reproduce it as well - somehow the F3 and F4 got broken - will fix.
Quote from Scawen :It's ok - thanks for the report.

I can reproduce it as well - somehow the F3 and F4 got broken - will fix.

Hmm, in fact i can't reproduce it - the reason F3 and F4 didn't work for me was because i had not assigned them a value.

You can go back to a P or P2 version by getting the exe and you must also use the abc.abc file from the original P download, because the old exe can't read the new font files.
Ok I will test this when iam back home.
I keep you informed

CU
Ok, I did a few tests... and it was not related to P4.
It was a background service of WinDvD called "InterVideo WinCinema Manager".
This bastard seem to hook my keyboard codes :smash3d:

So, sorry for my false report. :doh:

CU
Scarap
Here's another TEST patch : P5. It contains several fixes and improvements listed below.

One thing i've tried to fix is the hot key problem - for totally different keyboards like Cyrillic or Greek - before this version, they had to switch to English keyboard to press the T key then back to their own keyboard to type the message...

I've got no way of testing that, so let me know if my fix worked! It may have cause other problems, like a key just not working any more...

Improvements and fixes :

Message text size slider can go down to 0.03
Improved various Cyrillic and Latin characters
New translatable text for screen : "bit" and "Hz"
Text is slightly narrower than P4 widened version
Text width remains constant in wide screen modes
Added feminine ordinal indicator (superscript a)
Some changes to the text in all braking lessons
Added : Russian, Estonian, Serbian translations

FIX : Greek capital iota with diaeresis
FIX : Bug with channel names in radio editor
FIX : Bug when trying to edit a number plate
FIX : Hot keys (T, F, etc) should work properly
FIX : KNW filenames depended on selected language

Known Issues :

- Still no way to change the active code page while in game.
- Various other old bugs, not related to translations...

Download TEST Patch P5 :

EDIT : Link removed, get P8 instead : http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=33791#post33791
Quote from Scawen :Known Issues :

- Various other old bugs, not related to translations...

How dare you leave in any bugs :P
Quote from Scawen :One thing i've tried to fix is the hot key problem - for totally different keyboards like Cyrillic or Greek - before this version, they had to switch to English keyboard to press the T key then back to their own keyboard to type the message...

I've got no way of testing that, so let me know if my fix worked! It may have cause other problems, like a key just not working any more...

Yessir, it works.

EDIT:
And yessir, it might also be causing problems. The hyphen (disable messages) and greater-than, lesser-than (force strength) hotkeys don't seem to work.

EDIT #2:
This applies even if the keyboard isn't switch to Greek input.

EDIT #3:
And to confirm it I rolled back to P4 and the above problem doesn't exist.
Quote from xaotik :Yessir, it works.

I'm very pleased it works! I look forward to hearing back from detail as well.

Quote from xaotik :EDIT:
And yessir, it might also be causing problems. The hyphen (disable messages) and greater-than, lesser-than (force strength) hotkeys don't seem to work.

EDIT #2:
This applies even if the keyboard isn't switch to Greek input.

EDIT #3:
And to confirm it I rolled back to P4 and the above problem doesn't exist.

No problem, just keep telling me the keys that don't work and i'll fix them one by one.
Quote from tristancliffe :How dare you leave in any bugs :P

If i didn't leave in bugs, there would never have been any release of LFS!
#99 - axus
Quote from Scawen :If i didn't leave in bugs, there would never have been any release of LFS!

Yes, here is Scawen's definition of a bug: "Anything that isn't absolutely perfect about physics or any feature of the game."

That means that until every particle of sand and every little grass is modelled and sticks to tyres appropriately is modelled, LFS won't be finished. And until every particle in the air is simulated and how it hits cars and bounces off them is, creating drag/slipstream for others is modelled, LFS won't be finished. Scawen - it seems that you will be doing this for a long, long time .
Quote from Scawen :If i didn't leave in bugs, there would never have been any release of LFS!

how dare you produce buggy code
This thread is closed

TEST Patch P4 (now P12)
(556 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG