The online racing simulator
Post your bike! :)
(1873 posts, started )

Sucks it got stolen mate.. especially if you live in London it's always a risk. Was it alarmed and the like?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :

Sucks it got stolen mate.. especially if you live in London it's always a risk. Was it alarmed and the like?

Yup belled up and locked and covered with one of those heavy green covers too, (which was also padlocked under the bike). Basically they just lifted it straight in to the back of a van. Not much you can do to stop that really.

I haven't ridden since (1999), got a car instead. I still pine for riding a bike but even at my age the insurance will be a killer for the bike I really want, (either a Gixer 750 or a Blade). I won't go back to a 600 because I had already outgrown them really and I'm a short shifter by habit and middleweights don't have the midrange grunt to suit my riding style.

Was a lovely bike though.
Well I can only suggest a huge ass chain and a ground anchor. Couple that with a decent Alarm (Datatool do a good one.. think it's the C4 red or something) and disk locks, if they're going to get your bike, they'll end up alerting you (or the neighbours) before they even get the chain to the ground anchor off.
Mmm, Trials bikes.

Loadsa fun (although I've never tried)

Make some videos and post them.
Veryy nice
Quote from K. Tsuchiya :<snip>

I'm really not trying to be rude (although it probably sounds alot like it) but I dislike the track day crowd in my area, don't really care for the crap I get about my smaller bikes on the street and really really wish that a 4 cylinder under 400cc sportbike was available here. Unfortunatly they are all twins under 500cc.

<snip>

We got the FZR400 here for a couple years. I think most of them are track bikes by now, though. And they're not cheap.

I had a great experience when I started track riding on my 1990 Kawasaki EX500 (aka Ninja 500, GPZ500). No one knocked my choice of bike, in fact most encouraged it as a good one to learn on without having to constantly worry about the back stepping out from too much throttle. Peak power is about the same as an FZR400, and probably with a better mid-range, too, although I find it hard to imagine a bike with less mid-range than my old 500. Yeah, the chassis and suspension aren't as good as the 400, but give the 500 a respring and you won't notice the difference on the street. After slipping on some oil on the track, I switched to an '06 Suzuki SV650S.

Don't mind anyone who gives you crap about riding a smaller bike. They're just compensating.
Quote from Forbin :

Don't mind anyone who gives you crap about riding a smaller bike. They're just compensating.

Aint that the truth. The 400s were never very popular track day bikes over here, (at least amongst the bunch of Lawyers etc I used to go with :shrug, but occasionally you'd get someone turn up on a VFR400, (easily the best 400 made), and thrash a lot of the guys on bigger bikes.

I did a race school on a FZR400, horrible little bike. Rock hard suspension, wooden brakes. Was like riding a buzzing plank of wood.
Heh, my 500 was just the opposite in terms of suspension. A 400 lb bike with .58 kg/mm springs in the 36 mm forks, a 350 lb/in spring in the rear (honestly not terribly low for my weight), and practically no damping. The frame was also known to be quite flexible.

The brakes weren't bad once I upgraded them, though (floating rotor instead of solid, SS lines, higher friction metallic pads, and of course fresh fluid).
Quote from Forbin :Heh, my 500 was just the opposite in terms of suspension. A 400 lb bike with .58 kg/mm springs in the 36 mm forks, a 350 lb/in spring in the rear (honestly not terribly low for my weight), and practically no damping. The frame was also known to be quite flexible.

The brakes weren't bad once I upgraded them, though (floating rotor instead of solid, SS lines, higher friction metallic pads, and of course fresh fluid).

I test rode a couple of GPz500s for a freind of mine when he passed his test. I remember thinking they're weren't at all bad really, certainly an improvement over the typical early/mid 80's sports bikes, even if lower powered.

Back in the early/mid 80's manufacturers seemed to think the way to good handling was just ultra stiff springs with too much damping (don't know if you're familiar with the anti-dive stuff that was all the rage back then). It took the likes of Honda to show that actually it was all about the quality of the damping. Honda brought out the CBR600 which was softer sprung than all the others, but the overall suspension quality was much better and it cleaned up in all the race series for nearly a decade. As well as becoming probably the single biggest selling 600 of all time on the road.
Two Wheels Club Thread
i hope i am not the one have the bike on lfsforums..

I am from Virginia USA and i have a 99 r1.. it's quick but i am not guy that likes speedy or stunt like that... i am chill..

right now i am working on 01' swapping motor in my 99's frame now i can't wait to get it done soon!

here's picture of my bike
http://img185.imageshack.us/im ... a6ebb92a46f8b4ba41ip0.jpg
You need a new rear tyre on that!

'04 Z750 here.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :You need a new rear tyre on that!

'04 Z750 here.

indeed.. will get new rear tire soon.
You guys are lucky! I go for my learners license this saturday. After i get it i can ride any bike up to a 250CC and im not allowed to ride over 70kph (although everyone ignores this stupid rule that was made when the speed limit was only 80kph now its 100).

Hopefully i can find a Honda CBR 250 RR in my price range! What are the restrictions for bikes in other countries? After 6 months i can get my restricted license which removes that silly speed limit but thats all. Then 18 months later i can go for my full and ride any bike in the world! So i will be stuck on a 250CC for 2 years but im sure i can live with that!
Move to the UK silent, it's one test.

Under 21 : pass on a 125 and ride any bike up to 33bhp. (you can restrict nearly any bike you want, even a gixer thou) this lasts for 2 years then you're automatically allowed any capacity.

Over 21 : pass on any bike with like 46.6bhp I think and away you go on any bike with no restrictions.
1999 Gemini mountain bike with two flat tyres.

You never said anything about my two wheeler having to be petrol powered.
Nice SV1000

Yeah, twins rock.

I remember on one trackday at Snetterton, a guy came up to me and said "what the hell are you riding", I said "why?, whats wrong with it", he said, "well I am riding an R1, and although I go past you on the straight, there is no way I can get out of corners as fast!!".

There is something to be said about the thumping traction you can get out of corners on twins!
Very true. I haven't taken mine to a trackday (yet?), but I'm on a SV forum where a lot of people go to trackdays regularly, and they always say the same thing. On the long straights the R1's and the Gixxxers come flying past you, but in the twistier sections they all bite the dust.

Also, you can't beat the sound of a V-Twin IMO
Quote from obsolum :Post Your Bike

Old pics from mine, without the lower fairings:

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u107/obsolum/moto/025.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u107/obsolum/moto/030.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/al ... moto/achterkantschuin.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/al ... solum/moto/achterkant.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u107/obsolum/moto/026.jpg

Big V-Twins FTW

Did you modify the position of the exhaust?
Looks really nice, reminds me of an VTR only a bit higher

Edit: It's not higher, my memory failed me once again
Look like high level exhausts to me, think the originals hang off the passenger footpegs like mine do.
Heres my beast, KTM 620sc pumping out 47hp at the rear wheel on the dyno, Fun times!

Attached images
ktm13.jpg
Quote from danowat :Look like high level exhausts to me, think the originals hang off the passenger footpegs like mine do.

Yeah, that's true. I was thinking the tip is not higher then the VTRs.

Anyway, looking good on that SV

Post your bike! :)
(1873 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG