The online racing simulator
Post your bike! :)
(1873 posts, started )
I just beat you by a minute Knight Rider. ^_^
Whoops, glad you are ok though S14
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Thankyou. :hide:

Going round a roundabout (that I have taken in the past at between 55 and 65mph without a problem) at around 35-40 (I was just riding home from my mates) and ehh.. I don't know. I remember turning into the roundabout and next thing I know is that I'm laid on the ground and there's a couple of cars of people around me. Probably cold and at the legal limit BTO14s on a coldish night and an unlucky breeze.

Looking to get a CBR600rr RR5 onwards and enter the purley gates at 15k RPM. Thankyou and see you in heaven. That's all I'm saying on the matter as looking back still makes me shake.

Maybe a patch of diesel? Cbr600rr nice bike but what about a zx6?
Dang, glad you're alright. And you don't know what happened? I think not knowing how or why I crashed would put me off riding more than the actual crash itself. In the back of your mind you'll just be waiting for it to happen again, and have a sense that there'll be nothing you can do about it.
"Probably cold and at the legal limit BTO14s on a coldish night and an unlucky breeze."
I've heard some cracking excuses before, but that's gold right there Most people usually conjure a face saving excuse using the standard diesel spill response, so top marks for invention

Why would you want a SS600 to replace it? Get something that you won't have to completely strangle down to 33bhp, and perhaps that will be cheaper to insure/repair? CB500 or ER5, SV650 or ER6. Not a peaky 600 which is going to feel like you've ripped its guts completely out.
Well, I'd love to blame it on someone else but I don't think it was anyone's fault. Saying that, I don't think it was my riding error as I have taken that roundabout at 60mph before without an issue. It was probably just cold supersport tyres being asked too much. Normally I am very careful about pushing them before warm but hey. It turns out my Dad inspected the scene and said there was no oil but it seems that left to right lean transition, the bike just slid away so it's most likely just cold surface/tyres issue. Rider error.

Andy, I was looking at a ZX6r but since my Mum and myself are going to have to get some sort of loan or credit, I can't quite stretch to a decent one, I can probably get a decent RR-5 CBR on ebay for £3.5k (he says 'only'). That said, an SV650 K4 onwards is about £2.5k with some extras like a nice can or something. I'd love a CBR600rr/R6/ZX6R (but I'd like an 09 one. :P)

I'll happily have an SV650s. I managed to sell my mangled heap for about £300 which I'll buy a new lid or something with. I'll try and get a set of gloves with that as well since mine are ruined.
Did your insurance pay out?
Quote from hrtburnout :Did your insurance pay out?

Not unless he had fully comp insurance, because it was an "own fault" accident.
£300. It, and almost everything attached to it, must have been properly mangled for you to sell it that cheap.
Argh. What a waste. The bike was worth a grand or two, wasn't it?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I managed to sell my mangled heap for about £300 which I'll buy a new lid or something with. I'll try and get a set of gloves with that as well since mine are ruined.

Are you saying you sold the Z750? It's hard to tell from the pictures as they're too dark to really make anything out, but it doesn't look like it's beyond repair. Wouldn't it be cheaper to repair it (or have it repaired) rather than buying another one?
The clutch cover had been ripped off, half of the bottom end casing was missing (it had ripped half of the frame was not straight, wheel was ripped off the spokes. Bike was a total loss.

I have TPFT and it was taken away today. So it's gone. E: Yes Erik, it was worth about £2.3k
Ouch. Sorry about the crash, good to hear you're okay.

I've laid bikes down a grand total of 9 times in a variety of places (parking lot, driveway, street, track), but I've never done that much damage to a bike before.
Crazy damage for such a low speed. Did it go up a kerb on its side or something?
Quote from sinbad :Crazy damage for such a low speed. Did it go up a kerb on its side or something?

Smashed into a kerb yes.

Thanks for the links Andy, I think I'll only be able to stretch to about £2.5k and that's not even guaranteed. I'll probably end up with a shitty CB500 or something, in which case I won't even bother getting another until I can get a decent one.

If I could I'd get a newer Z750 with the USD forks and extras but I can't afford it.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Smashed into a kerb yes.

Thanks for the links Andy, I think I'll only be able to stretch to about £2.5k and that's not even guaranteed. I'll probably end up with a shitty CB500 or something, in which case I won't even bother getting another until I can get a decent one.

If I could I'd get a newer Z750 with the USD forks and extras but I can't afford it.

Unless you only care about posing, don't knock the budget 500s, especially considering the 33bhp limit you should be adhering to. Almost everyone who did DAS with one of those has a soft spot for them. You'll learn as much on one of those as you would on any bike, your running costs will be far less and you won't have to worry about dropping it anywhere near as much.
You could probably find a GPZ500S in decent nick for that kind of money. Much better bike than the CB500. The GPZ has its quirks (see ex-500.com) but it's a fun bike and makes around 50-55 HP unrestricted if you make sure the carbs are clean.

If you can, make sure you get a 2nd-gen (1994+) rather than a 1st-gen (1987-1993). You get 17" wheels instead of 16" and a rear disc brake among other things.

Me railing on my 1st-gen. Big grin
I'm a snob I know.

Since my bike is to me is like a medal to an Olympian, I can't pride myself on something that I don't love. I don't love the CB500's etc. Although I even am thinking of buying one for the commuting next winter, I couldn't ride one for pleasure.

I'm definatly getting an SV650s. Same price to insure as my Z with the same company, so I can just transfer my policy, keeping my no claims (A CBR600rr/ZX6r is like £3000 to insure, no thanks) - There's millions of them about, and 80% of them have a bellypan, crash bungs (a must with the SV's as Forbin knows!) and a noisy can. They can be easily restricted via the EFI CPU and then I can take it off again.
Just FYI, there are also 2 different generations of the SV650. 1st-gen (1999-2002) has carbs and a curvy frame, 2nd-gen (2003+) has FI and an angular frame. The 2003 model has a different subframe from all the other 2nd-gen bikes, and possibly some bottom-end engine issues if you push it hard. All 2007+ models have twin-spark heads that reduce emissions but reduce power slightly. All 2005+ models have a black frame instead of silver if that matters to you.

Also, don't get the stock lower fairing or stock crash bungs. The stock fairing has a hole for the stock crash bungs but the bungs are mounted on an offset bracket that just bends the instant it touches the ground, cracking the fairing. If you want a lower fairing, look into aftermarket street bodywork (upper and lower, not sure if anyone makes a lower that works with the stock upper). You will probably need to get the aftermarket bodywork painted. You will still need to drill a hole for your aftermarket crash bungs.
Haha, that's definatly good. I have my eye on a K4 at the moment, but I'll see. Either way, at around £2.4k I have a wide choice and with some cold hard cash, I should get one. I'd like a K4 onwards, although this is nothing more than not wanting a really old bike.

(And nice picture you added )
I can only vouch the SV650 being a great choice. They're bullet proof if they're well looked after and bits are cheap (well as cheap as "big" bike bits get).
Works really nice at 33bhp too by all accounts.
The SV is a great choice, sure, they ain't the quickest bike on the road, but you can quite easily keep up with most supersports 600's in most real life situations.
Quote from sinbad :I can only vouch the SV650 being a great choice. They're bullet proof if they're well looked after and bits are cheap (well as cheap as "big" bike bits get).
Works really nice at 33bhp too by all accounts.

Only thing that's a bit worrying about them is tyre sizes. I rather liked the industry standard 120/70- 180/55. This gave me lots of choice in terms of tyres and stuff.

How will going to a 160/60 and a 120/60 affect both choice and handling?

Post your bike! :)
(1873 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG