The online racing simulator
Post your bike! :)
(1873 posts, started )
Never..:hide:
Quote from sam93 :My bike - well 50 lol

Pics of my old bike just been sprayed, getting sold tomorrow and my new bike.

what bikes are they? I'm terrible and spotting models
Oh talking of that... best use this thread instead of making another one before some very sad little forum trolls say I'm attention seeking too much!

With a proverbial budget of £2000, I'm looking for a bike....

I would be commuting on it but I love twisties and I'm left with no chicken strips after most runs. Sorry to be a snob but I'd REALLY like something with fuel injection (as I can't be bothered with carb icing and chokes, reserve taps etc). Something over 500cc but under 1000cc, as that would be a stretch on insurance.

Obvious candidates are the SV650s (which is also a very nice £503 insurance for me!) which I've previously mentioned, however finding a good one on a budget such as this is quite hard. I was looking at an 03/04 Hornet till I realised they had those blasted fuel taps!

Whatever I'd end up with needs to be credible enough so I won't get laughed at down at the pub..

I'm not a snob but I wouldn't have a CB500 or some other commuter (read DAS test bike) because most of the ones I've seen are in horrible condition, and 90% of them doing well over 30,000miles which is just too much.. I've already had a big fall out with my old man about this whole thing and I'd really rather not have you guys go "OMG U FGT GET A CB500"..

Suggestions please

(To Silentwar, they are Aprillia RS50's.)
R1

Just purchased this! http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=210579019

First bike can't wait to get it! Took it for a small test ride down the road and it was the first time riding a bike on the road so was a little nervous! Its old and its got fairly high mileage but it was cheap and it seems to run fine. Don't have a job so i can't really pay for any gear so riding it might be awhile away Still bloody excited its mine though
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Oh talking of that... best use this thread instead of making another one before some very sad little forum trolls say I'm attention seeking too much!

With a proverbial budget of £2000, I'm looking for a bike....

I would be commuting on it but I love twisties and I'm left with no chicken strips after most runs. Sorry to be a snob but I'd REALLY like something with fuel injection (as I can't be bothered with carb icing and chokes, reserve taps etc). Something over 500cc but under 1000cc, as that would be a stretch on insurance.

Obvious candidates are the SV650s (which is also a very nice £503 insurance for me!) which I've previously mentioned, however finding a good one on a budget such as this is quite hard. I was looking at an 03/04 Hornet till I realised they had those blasted fuel taps!

Whatever I'd end up with needs to be credible enough so I won't get laughed at down at the pub..

I'm not a snob but I wouldn't have a CB500 or some other commuter (read DAS test bike) because most of the ones I've seen are in horrible condition, and 90% of them doing well over 30,000miles which is just too much.. I've already had a big fall out with my old man about this whole thing and I'd really rather not have you guys go "OMG U FGT GET A CB500"..

Suggestions please

(To Silentwar, they are Aprillia RS50's.)

Curvy SV.

Plenty about with lowish mileage, and almost always below your budget, you'd get a good one for less.
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=128495

Easy and cheap to restrict too I believe.
Fazer, Bandit, SV, ZX6, Hornet, RSV, Firestorm, TL, CBR, GSX, VFR the list is endless
Quote from sinbad :Curvy SV.

Plenty about with lowish mileage, and almost always below your budget, you'd get a good one for less.
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=128495

Easy and cheap to restrict too I believe.

That's a pretty nice one, and for that price... but it's too far away unfortunatly. - But it's carbed xD

Thanks for some the other suggestions, but some aren't really that sensible for my insurance.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :That's a pretty nice one, and for that price... but it's too far away unfortunatly. - But it's carbed xD

Thanks for some the other suggestions, but some aren't really that sensible for my insurance.

Nothing wrong with carbs at all, and tbh most bikes within your requirements (mileage and CC) and price bracket will have carbs not F.I.
The Hornet 600, for example, uses carbs all the way up to 2006 iirc.
Yeah, I know I'm being a bit fickle.. It's not so much carbs that are a problem.. for example I'd happily have those curvy SV's so long as it had some nice extras on it, it's that most carbed bikes have fuel taps and I'll pass on those thanks.

I should rephrase - Any bike as long as it doesn't have a fuel tap...

I'm still leaning towards an SV at the moment but it's hard with so little money.
I think you want a €5000 bike for half the price. You can't. Your demands are a little high
Noo, there are some pretty nice SV's out there for around £1500-£1800.

Like the one suggested by Sinbad, I'd have bought it but it's too far away.
Quote from hrtburnout :I think you want a €5000 bike for half the price. You can't. Your demands are a little high

That's what I was thinking

Quote from S14 DRIFT :Noo, there are some pretty nice SV's out there for around £1500-£1800.

Like the one suggested by Sinbad, I'd have bought it but it's too far away.

It seems to me that you want a cheap bike that hasn't got a lot of mileage and preferably has F.I, looks decent enough and you don't even want to go to too much trouble to get it That SV sinbad posted was indeed a nice looking SV, even though I normally don't like the curvy S versions. It's in the UK isn't it? If you really think it's worth the money then it should be worth the trip over there, IMO. You're coming across as a lazy sod who wants to get everything just handed to him on a plate, preferably for free. No offense
Haha - None taken.

I'd get that SV that Sinbad has linked me too, but when I say "far away", I'm talking a 6 hour (at least) return trip.. I'd have to get someone to take me up there (then pay them for the pleasure of doing so) and who would do that, then I have to ride it back without falling asleep of boredom. If it were closer I'd have had it already. Not forgetting that the person who took me up there then has to come back down.

I've came across an unsung hero that fits my needs.. The Triumph TT600. Has fuel injection (that means it'll start whatever the weather) and apparently, handles very nicely and has a good set of stoppers on it.

I'm waiting on confirmation of a loan I've applied for and so when I have this (hopefully), I'll be looking with some cash in my hand.. I'm still holding out for an SV650s though..there's plenty about for around £2000. - However, TT600's came with Alarms (I'm guessing, every one I've seen has one) and is more my kind of bike. I'll be getting one of those I hope.

Found a TT600 for £1450.. hurry up damn money >.<.. described as "VGC, with 12months MOT, 7months tax, 13k, FSH and Datatool S3 alarm/immobiliser(!)"
what helmets do you guys wear? im going to go look at some today (hopefully i have the money for one!) and im using this as a guide to what is hopefully a safe one!
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/sea ... =0&size=0&price=0

Currently looking at getting a Shark s500 air although i guess it comes down to how comfortable it is.
I wouldn't use the Sharp thing TBH. I've read that it doesn't replicate an actual crash cirucmstances and stuff. I haven't got the exact copy of RiDE magazine to hand, however, so I can't point out why.

I'd stick with brands you know and trust, and frankly, anything over £180 will protect you dam well near enough the same as the next one. Obviously a £39.99 Taiwan helmet won't, but I'd PERSONALLY stick with HJC for price. George Whites has most of them (because they stock so many) at near enough half price on the RRP.

I had a Shoei somethingorother, but after my accident it was rendered unusable. My Dad bought me an FS-10 carbon for Christmas, but gave it to me on Sunday.

You need to try on whatever helmet you buy and leave it there for a good 5 minutes to see if any irritation comes about..namely across the forehead. Make sure it fits as well, if you're unsure how to check, ask the person in the store.
Spent the weekend at New Jersey Motorsports Park (NJMP) on the Thunderbolt circuit. Wet all day Saturday and Sunday morning. Sun came out around lunch time Sunday and dried the track out except for certain spots, like the whole T1 braking zone and rivers running across the track at turn-in for the second chicane (we didn't use the first one) and T5 (the first left after the second chicane, counting clockwise).

It was my first time on that track and even when it was fairly dry you can see I was taking it fairly easy, getting familiar with the bike. Oh, and I love GP shift. Smile

Quote from sinbad :If your class allows it USD GSXR forks are the obvious choice, with upgraded internals - whilst a race shock from Ohlins/RaceTech/Nitron etc etc is the money no object rear end solution.

I guess you'd be looking at cartridges/emulators if your class regs dictate you need to use the same forks as standard.

The front springs are just so soft. Even your fairly light frame is too much for them, particularly on track. The stock spring rate is 0.67kg/mm...... you'd want 0.80kg/mm or so at least I reckon. If you've improved the brakes you're only making things worse for the front end.

It doesn't have to be expensive to make a big improvement. £70 for linear springs at the required rate and fork oil to suit, and a gsxr shock for £45 makes a world of difference to every element of handling. What's that, $160 or so?

Penske is the main Ohlins alternative here in the US and it comes with what is generally considered better service and support for those in this part of the world. I've actually driven by their HQ in Reading, PA, which is only about 2 hours from me. As for forks, I was planning on racing Superstock (as opposed to Superbike) which means stock forks but I can still upgrade the fork internals with cartridges. Traxxion Dynamics' AK-20 kit is one of the really popular ones, at least for the SV.
Looks like fun And I might have to try 1 up 5 down myself! I certainly find it a bit awkward shifting up when I'm tucked sometimes.
Nice stuff. Although your bike looks like it's a salvage job. Wouldn't the fairing make it more aerodynamic or are you not allowed them? Guessing you will be putting a race fairing on there? :o
Tt600
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Nice stuff. Although your bike looks like it's a salvage job. Wouldn't the fairing make it more aerodynamic or are you not allowed them? Guessing you will be putting a race fairing on there? :o

I removed the headlights from the stock front cowl and was going to mount it and block up the holes with tape. However, when I put the cowl in position, I realized it interfered with the clip-ons quite a bit at practically anything besides straight ahead.

AFAIK, most or all race glass assemblies for the SV are designed to provide room for aftermarket clip-ons.

See here: http://www.printroom.com/ViewG ... &scount=3&sku=125
*copied from local biker forum sorry if you dont understand some local lingo this is about me and my bike i picked up today*

So Monday morning i wake up check my emails and see the new bikes listed on trademe. Scroll through the many overpriced 250s and come across a 1987 GPX 250 for less than $2000 buy now! Holy crap i just knew that thing was the bike for me! Txt the guy straight away and arrange to meet it. Turns out the bike is less than 10km from my house The bike seemed to be in good nick only a few scratches and a ding or two on the exhausts but otherwise all good despite the age and high ks (65,000). Can't say i really know what too look for on bikes though. Borrowed some gear and took it for a REALLY short test ride as i am totally new to riding and didnt want to bin it. The thing ran fine so i was happy. Told the guy yep i'll take it! Money would take a few days to transfer but thats fine.

This morning i wake up and go look at some helmets. I knew Boyd had a good selection so i was pretty sure i was going to get one from there. However i did check out another place first (the kawasaki dealer across the road from boyd) where the sales lady was extremely suprised i only wanted to spend $300 on a helmet. She tells me "this is your head you know? you going to want to spend more than $300. The more you spend the better the helmet". I tried not to laugh at her said thanks and walked out. Over to Boyd and try on helmets for awhile end up getting an HJC for about $270. Although my head measures a Medium i ended up with a small and it feels real nice.

Headed off to the girlfriends place to steal a jacket and gloves and then go pick up the bike. Road it home fine then decided to go take it for a little ride around to get used to it. Now this is where the fun starts. Well not fun for me as it is actually quite embarassing. Im riding along and slowing down for an intersection when the bike dies. Im thinking oh this is great! less than 2ks of riding and i've killed it. Tried starting to no avail. Flicked it onto the reserve tank but still no start. By now i've killed the battery and realised i switched the tank off and not onto reserve Ring the girlfriend and she comes down to help me push it home. So my first day of riding involves me pushing my bike 2ks home which included one real cnut of a hill . After getting it home it was now dark however i put some gas in and jump start the bike with the car (after reading how to do it properly online) and head out on a ride. My god riding is some much fun! I think there is plenty of power from this 250 for me. Could not imagine riding a 1000. So despite an embarassing start everything seems to be good and im in love with it . Dunno if i will stick an L plate on though. Riding at 100 is comfortable and 70 does seem rather silly. Will try and get some pics up tomorrow!
Got some pics!
Attached images
dials.JPG
gpxdarkside.JPG
gpxside.JPG
Looks ok dude... just take care of it!

Enjoy the open road!

Post your bike! :)
(1873 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG