The online racing simulator
Sorry to bump and old(ish) thread but are you still working on this Soeren?
Quote from Leifde :Sorry to bump and old(ish) thread but are you still working on this Soeren?

no problem, and yes, I am still working on this project. Unfortunately I do not have much time, only some hours every weekend. I hope to be able to make some good progress end of december, when I have some days holiday.

regards
Thanks for the update.
can you give community files for program maybe some of us can make cameras for other tracks and help your project
any more news on this project??? - started out looking extremely promising.
something new in this project?
Supermassive bump

Any progress? If it's parameterised and not stupidly difficult, I might be able to make the camera sets for some tracks.
i hacked this program so it works on other tracks too, BUT i could not hack the camera positions, so the cams are off the track most of the times...

soeren are you still working on this or is it possible for you to release the source to the community?

cheers!
Quote from Fischfix :i hacked this program so it works on other tracks too, BUT i could not hack the camera positions, so the cams are off the track most of the times...

Could you send me the hax0red version on MSN?

Soeren, if you don't continue to develop this, please post the source code so someone who knows what they are doing (I.E. not me) can get it working for all tracks and possibly to support going on board into cars (going to the custom camera for that car).
it's pretty easy what i have done: open the .exe file with a hex-editor. search or the term BL1 and replace that one to the track you like. (e.g. KY1, FB1). then save it. i don't think thats anything special. then connect and use as usual. you will see the action detection is working on the programs window but in lfs you see the cameras are most of the time completely off the track because they are set for BL1. (although on BL2 you get most of the action as well)

after the BL1 term in the program there might be the camera positions and stuff, but i did not figure out how to change that. i mean i would be happy to have just the standard cams. the interesting part of this program is the action-detection so you can lean back and watch a race without having to switch the cams by yourself.
i don't think there will be any news on this project. soeren was last time online racing with lfs october 6th 2006. i wrote several emails and PMs to him, but did not get an answer so far

looks like the great tool is dead. the alternative noobTV will not have an action-detection in it so, i think the only possibility is if someone makes this tool from scratch...

not me
Quote from Fischfix :i don't think there will be any news on this project. soeren was last time online racing with lfs october 6th 2006. i wrote several emails and PMs to him, but did not get an answer so far

looks like the great tool is dead. the alternative noobTV will not have an action-detection in it so, i think the only possibility is if someone makes this tool from scratch...

not me

No hurry, please. Keep patience. I am still working on it.

I started to make camera files for the other tracks, but ....ops... there are more than 40 configurations...
So I have changed the GUI and implemented a possiblity to edit the camera files in a most comfortable way (at least I hope so).
Currently I have to rewrite the whole source code (the current code was written quick and dirty, in a very bad programming style) to get a solid basis for further improvement.
And hey... I have a wife, 2 children and a full time job as a head of department. So please excuse for the slow progress.

Because of the slow progress I plan to release the current version as a first stage without further improvement, but with at least the camera files for the aston tracks. Further versions with further improvement and more track camera files may follow. Usually I would not do it this way, but I see that progress is much too slow, and I do not want you to be waiting too long.

regards
Sören

@Fischfix: keep care with your statements.

BTW:The reason why I was not racing Lfs so long is, that I am a GPL driver. But I love the idea of correct simulated physics, force feedback, sound, etc..., so I love Lfs. And in GPL a director application would be much more difficult to implement, so thanks to Scawen for this ingenious insim API.
#63 - Gizz
this is grate news, i thought this was well gone.. nice to see its still being worked on, all we have to do is convice you to leave home and give up your job and we wont have to wait for so long LOL... keep us updated though m8
sorry soeren, for my impatience. but after some atemps contacting you i thought you were not interested in this project anymore.

sorry again mate

LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS GREAT TOOL!
nice
This is sound like a good tool, especially the action detector.

I've experimented with autokeys, which works, but this sounds better.

So far all I can do is get views and cars switching automatically on a set routine, but very interested in this for OLFSLtv (www.lfs-league.com), would be willing to finance for a final version, if not freeware of course.

- edit.

Ok, I've just used it and it is fantastic.
only two complaints.

1 = if someone is standing on track after a crash, the camera stays on them for far too long, even when they are standing still.
2 = maybe it should jump to the leader every now and then, watched a race where the leader had no action, the camera never went to the front, stayed in midfield.

Other than that, brilliant.

I too would like help with other tracks, if needed.
loev the way the cameras pan tilt and zoom, like theres actually someone trying to keep an F1 car in frame rather than having it just mechanically home in on the cars
Update, Version 0.1: see first post in this thread.

regards
Thanks, downloaded
#69 - joen
I actually just tested this for the first time. Works great, they indeed seem less mechanic, "shakey cam" like. I tested some replays on Blackwood, and the sense of speed is great. They're definitely better than the default ones, I really want LFS to use more static trackside cameras not necessarily aiming at one particular car.
These are much more like you would see on a real TV broadcast.

So top notch job
:bannana_p

V.0.1 RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!

the camera-edit tool looks awsome! that looks exactly how a comfortable tool should work. (not with xyz and copy past numbers and stuff)

as usual: "gut ding braucht weile!" bzw. warten hat sich hier wohl gelohnt. (sorry don't know the correct phrases in english)
Hot damn this is good, in five minutes I had got some cams setup and it worked.....! Amazing!
Do you have any problems with me trying it on OLFSLtv (www.lfs-league.com)? Happy to add a link back here, or whatever.
Dude this is awesome stuff!
:jawdrop: Are You Serious ? This has made my week. Im gonna take the afternoon off to play with this.

I think you tried to say Fischfix "Well worth the wait" perhapse, because by the look of the help files, I'd agree. I didn't think the was editor (if any) was gonna be that nice.

How classy this looks:And great looking instructions to. Top notch.
Attached images
etrkcams.gif
#74 - FL!P
I haven't tried the editor yet, but the replay mode is brilliant! The only little problem I see is that it affects the framerate, somehow.

As soon as I press shift+u, the framerate drops by 10 to 50% (it seems to vary depending on the number of visible cars and I've only tried with 20/22 cars races), and as soon as I press esc, it goes back to the limit I've set (60 fps) and stays there.

But it's still a great addition to LFS, thanks a lot for it!
For some time i have been trying to make a decent video file of the LFS: GTR League.

At last i can do that with your excellent tool and with a little work it could well be the "Standard" tv tool for LFS.

Its simple to use and the results, (as is), are great but i have one problem.

In last nights D2 race we had a grid of 17 GTR's on AS3 so as you can imagine it was rather manic. Director follows the action but as the action was down the field the program never showed the leader or 8 of the cars.

Suggestions (If you want them):

1) Allow a Fixed Camera position

I put a camera in front of the tyres at the bottom of the AS3 chicane but can never get it quite right, it would work if its fixed

2) Follow a certain car (Such as the leader) rather than the action.

Maybe an action / select car setting somehow.

The D2 race was 17:20 long so using fraps i have recorded (Using Director) the whole race at half speed, i now have to do the same in standard view, incar view and the edit them together from the 100+ minutes, and then export it at race speed.

Once LFS Replays can be rewound things will get easier but if you ever get to the point where we could have a replay timeline, selecting which camera we want to use at what time in the timeline making action videos from LFS would take a huge jump forward.

Once again thanks for the latest version and keep up the great work.

LFS TV Director, Release 0.3
(646 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG