The online racing simulator
The GTA IV thread
(1843 posts, started )
Quote from thisnameistaken :Does so.

It also required me to log in to Gays for Windows just to load my save game.

Really? Because I'm playing it fine with no internet connection (after first activating it of course).

At least those running a cracked game don't come complaining since a ton of those problems could be caused by that...

(Not insinuating anything for anyone)
Well the GFWL and Social Club thingies were a bit of a pain. I spent a little while registering for everything, then some more time preparing my pc with latest drivers, directx, net framework, etc, and then finally installed GTA4.

First I got the MMA10 error but after reading the workaround on gtaforums I fired up GTA4 and it's run fine. Admittedly the graphics options are all towards the low end, which is sorta what I expected from my mid-range system (E8400, 8800GT), but it looks good enough for me.

Love the way the cars bounce and wallow over the bumps and kerbs, and crumple in the right places when you smack into the usual things - street lights, trashcans, people, phone boxes, etc.

Rather annoyed I can't use my joypad for the driving though.
I actually hate how the cars crumple.. Sometimes it looks nice, but in a head-on crash it should crumple upwards, not straight in..
From some video on Youtube

Quote :FPS gained (1280x1024, Render detail, Shadows and Textures on max, distance, traffic and details view at 50%):
30-50 most of the time
20-30 drops depending on the time in-game. At night I get more FPS than day. Probably depends on that there are not that many cars and people going around the city at night.

Pretty bad FPS on this one folks, I'm pretty dissapointed. It's playable but I was hoping for everything maxed out and at least stable 40FPS.

PC specs:
Windows XP SP3
Core 2 Duo 8400 @ 3.0GHz
3.25GB RAM
Radeon HD4870 1GB
Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer

So is it just very badly optimized or is it blatantly taking the piss?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :So is it just very badly optimized or is it blatantly taking the piss?

If you've got an nVidia, it's just very badly optimised.

If you've got ATi, it's taking the piss.
Actually, I'm not sure it is badly optomised, it's more made to still be good looking this time next year rather than having 'yesterdays graphics'

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=378730

Rockstar know it's broken though and are working on a patch, If I remember rightly, same thing happened to GTA3 too.

Statistics
Average FPS: 44.50
Duration: 37.10 sec
CPU Usage: 80%
System memory usage: 55%
Video memory usage: 96%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1152 x 720 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Render Quality: High
View Distance: 30
Detail Distance: 30

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Ultimate
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Video Driver version: 180.48
Audio Adapter: Speakers (2- Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 )
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz

File ID: benchmark.cli

Whats the problem? Just played for about 3 hours solid...

Only problem I got is getting dead by the bloody drug dealers in the "Shadow" mission
Anyone of you who already got it, can you answer me if there's a proper LAN mode in this game?

Game's gonna be kinda useless to me if it doesn't have it.

And the AA thing, really? There's no way to get AA? Doesn't that just make the game look very horrible?
[quote=Bladerunner;996455]

Statistics

Graphics Settings
[I][B]Video Mode: 1152 x 720 (60 Hz)[/B][/I]

Hardware
Service Pack 1

Thats the problem, playing such a low res is wank these days with the type of hardware nowadays.
[quote=rc10racer;996484][quote=Bladerunner;996455]

Statistics

Graphics Settings
[I][B]Video Mode: 1152 x 720 (60 Hz)[/B][/I]

Hardware
Service Pack 1

Thats the problem, playing such a low res is wank these days with the type of hardware nowadays.[/quote]

Surprisingly enough. it doesnt LOOK as if its lo-rez.. Even at those settings it is clear and sharp...

(Note to self: grab some screenies to put up here)
Quote :Video CardRecommended: 512MB NVIDIA 8600+ / 512MB ATI 3870+

Am I the only one who spotted that this is really stupid?
How can they compare a 8600 with a HD3870?
The HD3850-70 is really really a lot more powerfull than the 8600... You can compare a 8600 with a HD26** but never with a HD38**

Probably a contract with Nvidia?
Quote from Sir moi 407 :Am I the only one who spotted that this is really stupid?
How can they compare a 8600 with a HD3870?
The HD3850-70 is really really a lot more powerfull than the 8600... You can compare a 8600 with a HD26** but never with a HD38**

Probably a contract with Nvidia?

Probably...

Look on the back of the box...they clearly show the nVidia logo, but no ATi stuff. It has also been widely reported that there are problems for ATi users, so it would suggest that the game is better optimised for nVidia than ATi; not that it is as good as it could be on nVidia.
As for the 512 vRAM 'limit', I only have 320, but it still chugs along adequately.. this COULD be because I have a LOT of spare system RAM that may be supplementing this...not sure though.
Rockstar Social Club wanted to log me in when I turned my computer on this morning. Why the hell would I want to do that?

It's the nagging little issues like this that make me want to violently murder developers.
I'm thinking about restarting my game and running a chess clock to log what proportion of time I actually spend in control of the character and how much is taken up by endless ****ing cutscenes.
So much for securom... It's almost fully cracked, within 2 days Thank you Cockstar for annoying honest buyers. I have yet to check it myself, but ive seen reports of noticable better performance on the cracked version as well
Quote from thisnameistaken :I'm thinking about restarting my game and running a chess clock to log what proportion of time I actually spend in control of the character and how much is taken up by endless ****ing cutscenes.

Skip the cutscenes, boring as ****. Just blaze through the missions, who needs a story line anyway, not me.
Well... i've got rather uniqe problem. My GTA works TOO BLOODY FAST :P. Motion of every object is at least a couple of times faster than it should be ;p. Great -_-. I've got Radeon HD4870 1GB and Core 2 Duo 3,33Ghz and it works fine on max... around... 30-35fps ^^.
Quote from Byku :Well... i've got rather uniqe problem. My GTA works TOO BLOODY FAST :P. Motion of every object is at least a couple of times faster than it should be ;p. Great -_-. I've got Radeon HD4870 1GB and Core 2 Duo 3,33Ghz and it works fine on max... around... 30-35fps ^^.

Go away!
Installing atm I'll post again when it's done and i can play it. i hope it runs good.
Ah, the joy of epiclya mixed feelings!

Having had payed for it before I knew it would **** up with ati cards, I downloaded it (on steam) with a bid of a reluctancy. But then I thought, what the heck, it isn't delaying the patch if I try it out now.

And what glee! it runs on my Ati 3850. At a proper 14 average FPS on the automatically set details (1280x1024, so thats my native res, most things on medium, renderer on high). Turning everything down to an absolute minimum only gained me 3 frames per second on average, so I gladly put them up again (allthough the game doesn't look as bad on minimum as I had anticipated). Happily the frame rate is very constant with almost no slow downs, so it's playable well enough to keep me entertained until there's a patch that hopefully boosts ATIs performance.

And lets me run it every time I start it, not every third time ^^. and having to register twice to play it, but then NOT letting me play unless I deactivate one of the registers (the social club one) thus making the gome not fully funtional kind of sucks too.
i kinda like it. The shadows are kinda wierd though. My framerate is around 20-30. Driving is quite fun, only the cam annoys me And i can't even turn it up the highest. It says i exceed the max...
Quote from mr_x :Actually, I'm not sure it is badly optomised, it's more made to still be good looking this time next year rather than having 'yesterdays graphics'

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=378730

Rockstar know it's broken though and are working on a patch, If I remember rightly, same thing happened to GTA3 too.

GTA 3 worked happily enough on my 800mhz AMD Duron, 256mb RAM and 16mb shared gfx card.
Quote from LFSn00b :Even though is the Quad core a must for this game?

Nope. E8400 here and it runs fine for me.

The GTA IV thread
(1843 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG