The online racing simulator
Awesome! Gonna get this when I get home, has some useful functionality and is still being improved, thanks Bob!
Great job Ben/Bob

Edit. Possibility to lock for example 4th gear to check acceleration from 80-120km/h would be nice .
Quote from Byku :Edit. Possibility to lock for example 4th gear to check acceleration from 80-120km/h would be nice .

Yeah, that's something I've had in mind for a while.
Help VHPA 3.1.3
Quote from Bob Smith :Evenin' all

The hardcore set-heads among us may find this of interest. It's the replacement for my beloved GRC.

I'm not going to explain in this post what it does, just download it, have a look, and read the manual. It should be crash free. Use at own risk, etc. I have also made a collage of all the different screens in the program [updated for v3.1.3].

Visit program website - 06/10/08

Feedback is always welcomed and encouraged, so don't hold back on posting. All suggestions/feature requests/GUI changes will be considered. Can't promise more than that.

Anyway, enjoy.

Good morning,

What does the color on the graphics VHPA 3.1.3

Black - Blue - Red - Green

We must work to achieve what color, what color ideal for whether we are on the right path to examine the car.

Att,

Pjuniorbra
If you can specify which graph in particularly you are referring to, then I can give you an exact answer.

If you are talking about general text colouring, or the colours used in balance diagrams, then blue indicates understeer, red oversteer, and green (approximate) neutrality. Note that green isn't necessarily best. VHPA can't tell you what will be perfect for the car, but how certain settings influence the car, so that you can better judge how to adjust a setting to alter the handling in the way that you desire.
Something wrong with homepage?
Is there someware else I can download the latest version?

/diho
My sites have been down for over a week now. My host is aware of the problem. Really hoping it won't be much longer now.
Alternative Site.
Hi, could somebody send me the program? I could put it in my server (https) so others can download it too.
I'm very much hoping the domains and stuff will be sorted by tonight (I'd really like to have emails again!), but you can get to the VHPA site this way for now (as the files are back online at least): http://www.thefloatingwidget.net/vhpa/

Update 18/11: Should be back online now.
Just cant get it...
hi, I'd like to know that is this VHPA for editing cars (like HP, rev limits etc...) or is it just for vieving?
Changing anything that's not changeable in-game will have no effect. it's not Tweak. That'd be a good name tbh, VINT: VHPA Is Not Tweak
VHPA is a setup editor and analyer. The vehicle creation and editing facilities are there so you can use VHPA outside of LFS (be that real life, or other race sims).

Perhaps I should add a little note about this to the first post.
a tweak to this extent would be AMAZING.

change tire/wheel sizing, powerband with a live dyno/chart, omg.
I just wanted to say "thanks" for VHPA and ask if you're planning to have text boxes besides the sliders, so the user can dial in the desired value directly without having to struggle between the mouse cursor and the arrow keys.

So, "thanks"
I'm unsure what the best way to go about it is, but that is already on my to-do list somewhere.
Right-click to type in exact value. Hmm, where have I seen that before
Right click where is the question. On the slider? On the label? Maybe add a little button. Do I pop up a message box (not all that keen on) or try and a text boxes to the GUI (not all that much room and will take a lot of effort).
Slider, which produces a (popup) message box in which the value can be typed in, imo. It won't require any extra space to do either, so that'd be a good thing.
Is there tutorial on how to use this tool? I am used to using telemetry tools such as Motec etc, however I find it very confusing to understand on how to use this tool. I am familiar with setup principles, however making use of those with tool seems difficult. I just need simple example and I will figure out the rest
hi , i get this error when i try to launch the program, any advice pls ?

nevermind, i just didnt see i wa smissing some runtime stuff.. problem solved , thx anyway
Attached images
Error.JPG
Quote from JindJaan :Is there tutorial on how to use this tool?

A question to which I'd love to say yes, but so far I've just not had the time to do so. I want to rewrite my advanced setup guide with this tool in mind, but so far it's been over 3 years since I changed that guide and it's no small project.

Quote from JindJaan :I am used to using telemetry tools such as Motec etc, however I find it very confusing to understand on how to use this tool. I am familiar with setup principles, however making use of those with tool seems difficult. I just need simple example and I will figure out the rest

Telemetry analysers work on the opposite end of things compared to VHPA. They let you see exactly what happens when you drive a particular set at a particular track, and with experience you can see problems, and use common sense to resolve these issues for this exact situation.

VHPA lets you see how the car handles and performs in general, lets you see what components have what effect on the handling, and most importantly, how much you'll need to change a setting to change the handling by however much you want to try. You'll still need to test drive to understand what 5% less understeer feels like, but with practise you could come to learn how much you want that graph to change to achieve your desired result. Or you can see exactly what gear ratio you'll need to achive those extra 3mph you want in 4th gear. Or how changing your dampers will affect transient handling in several different conditions. Or how much extra grip you'll get by increasing the wing angles, but how much your top speed will suffer.

I will admit that a lot of the information is more interesting than being genuinely useful, but with experince it can certainly reduce trial and error testing. I see the total set-head as using a combination of a setup analyser, a telemetry analyser, and most importantly, actually driving the car, to develop the set. Of course, you can achieve the same results without any setup tools but you're not guaranteed to get there as fast.
got a question about the spring settings , it's supposed to be set based on the weight of the car, isn't' it ? so how can we know within the program that we achieved the right values ? can anyone tell me how to handle and manage those spring graphs to have the optimum "car weight/spring stiffness" in the soft pls ?

thx in advance,
Basically, you need to know what numbers to aim at. For example (these figures are not accurate! Example use only), normal unsporty road cars have frequencies in the 1-1.5 Hz range, sporty cars up to 2 Hz, non-winged race cars up to 2.5, low-df up to 3 Hz and high-df up to 3.5 Hz, maybe even 4.

The frequencies you want to use also depend on the type car, front-wheel drives will need higher rear frequencies to counteract understeer, really powerful rwd without slicks will need lower rear frequencies to not oversteer when you glance at the gas pedal. Bumpy tracks need lower frequencies than smooth ones. Heavier cars want lower frequencies than light ones.

So, set the spring stiffness in VHPA accordingly. Then you need to move over to the damping tab and adjust damping values, to say 65-80% of the critical damping values in such a way that you get the off/on throttle characteristics you want.
Quote from silent_wind :hi , i get this error when i try to launch the program, any advice pls ?

nevermind, i just didnt see i wa smissing some runtime stuff.. problem solved , thx anyway

Attached images
Error.JPG
Nice spot.

VHPA v3.1.4 [updated 26/03/10]
(634 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG