The online racing simulator
Amazing work
Looking good so far Bob...Can't wait for a beta release to play with
Quote from Bob Smith :Download test version
Programmed in VB6 (with little use of API calls ). Yeah, it's slow.

A little slow? Sheesh, it was a screaming download for me! 10 kb/s! Seriously, that is screaming for me on dialup, LOL. (normally I see 4 kb/s )

Ok, it's slowed down to 4.56 now. Only 3 minutes left for 50% more, hehehe.
Quote from mrodgers :A little slow? Sheesh, it was a screaming download for me! 10 kb/s! Seriously, that is screaming for me on dialup, LOL. (normally I see 4 kb/s )

Ok, it's slowed down to 4.56 now. Only 3 minutes left for 50% more, hehehe.

you poor guy, i normally get 250KB/s
Quote from Bob Smith :
Quote from JTbo :After bit of looking I have found out it does it always when opening RAC setup, no matter what I do before.

Thanks for reporting that, I think I know exactly what the problem is there, will check & fix when I get home.

Finally got around to looking back at the code today, the bug was as expected, I have fixed it and re-uploaded the zip. RaceAbout setups now open fine. Otherwise no changes since the Christmas Eve release.
AWESOME stuff Bob, will no doubt be a GREAT tool to have
Geez, missed this thread the first time. I'm going to give it a run when I'm back from work
Quote from Bob Smith :
Yeah, it is awkward, but I don't want to squash anything up. It was designed to fit on a 1024 resolution screen without the taskbar, with a couple of pixels to spare. Aside from the visual disparity it shouldn't obscure any text, though.

I have a 1024 resolution and large fonts, so some part of interface is missing. Here's a screenshot.
And there's no way to see the whole thing untill I'll set large fonts off (I guess, haven't tried it yet).
Anyway, thanks for the tool )
Attached images
VTA_large_fonts.jpg
Wow, that really messes the GUI up. Never seen that before.

You're missing loads of info too. I don't know how it all automatically resizes, everything should be fixed width. Hmm. Any coders (preferably with VB6) have any suggestions? Time to start googling.
#35 - J.B.
Nice work indeed. I look forward to using it "in anger" next time I'm fiddling with making setups. Are you doing this project for Uni or is it pure free time work?
It's my Uni project. Atm having to do lots of report writing for it so coding is progressing slowly for now.
Thanks Bob thats great.
I don't have anything in Springs and Damping tabs, why?
Because it's a "preview" which means "not yet finished"
Supermassive necropost, but anyway ...

Bob, it says (when set to MPH), quarter mile ET and mile ETs. When set to KPH, it's the same time, but for 500m and 1000m. Which one is right?
That's a bug, whichever speed units you were using when you clicked "test acceleration" will be the correct figures. When you change speed units, it changes the test distances but does not recalculate acceleration so that the figures remain correct.

Thanks for reminding me, I'll fix that my end now.
I've spent the passed few days adding missing features, playing with the GUI, generally tidying up. Thought I'd give you an update before I get stuck into the final couple of sections (springs/dampers & steering). Progress is slow atm though, so much report writing to do for it.

link removed, see first post

Hopefully it addresses the some of the issues raised previously.

Edit: found some interesting info
1. Googling for setup analyser brings up the LFS Wiki entry for my advanced setup guide as the top result, where I mention Colcob's old tool.
2. Having checked my webstats, and despite no advertisement of this WIP app by myself (aside from this thread), there have been so far 1,111 downloads of the December test release as of last night. Not bad for 6 weeks, that's 26 every day - or about the same as the combined downloads for GRC and the setup guide are currently racking up. So it seems to have sparked some interest anyway.
48 hours and 75 downloads later... any comments? I appreciate not a massive amount has changed.
Dang, totally forgot about it. Gonna try it in a few hours
Cannot say much besides FINISH THIS AWESOME THING ALREADY!

Only things I noticed so far is that on the Tyres tab, the zoom sliders for tyre side view and contact patch work exactly the opposite (moving down zooms in on the side view, but moving down zooms out on the contact patch one), and on the Auto Space Gearing dialog, the percentage label isn't hidden if you select anything but Adjustable Progressive. Yeah I know, these are real showstoppers
Yeah, two little issues I keep forgetting to fix. I'm adding them on my latest to-do list now.

In all honesty it'll probably takes a few months of people using it regularly to create sets (once it's "finished", of course, or at least feature complete) for any real issues to be brought up.

Having just installed Vista I can confirm that it runs fine under Vista but you need to use "Run as Administrator" the first time so the OCX files be can registered. After that it runs just like in XP (and previous).
230 downloads and only Android comments? That's a shocking percentage People usually only post when there's a problem though, so I'll take it as a good sign. Anyway, enough of that...

Good news! Only someone sad like me would rememeber but it's 3 years exactly (well, it will be in 2 hours time but I'll be asleep by then) since I first posted a copy of GRC v1.0, so on this glorious anniversary I'll release another update of it's evolutionary successor.

Obviously not a huge amount has changed in the past 9 days, of most impact as that I've added the rest of the GUI settings elements so you can now save the setups you create/open, which I figure is kinda handy and means you can actually start using this as intended.

Oh and AndroidXP will be happy, his 2 little bugs are gone. Also check out the new snazzy tyre drawing while you're at it.

I'm ready to hit some meaty stuff now, thankfully the analysis itself usually takes a lot less time than everything else.

link removed, please see first post

Night all.
-
(Blas89) DELETED by Blas89
thank you! good job!
Lookin good Bob.

For me, it will really become usefull when the suspension and damping pages are active, but it certainly looks like it will become a very usefull tool.

Dan,
Suggestion......

Make a prompt "are you sure you want to overwrite this file", also, you can save different car model settings to the wrong file.

i.e. this morning I overwrote an XR Turbo setup with XF GTi information, which then results in the overwritten file not being able to be read anymore.

Dan,
Quote from danowat :Make a prompt "are you sure you want to overwrite this file"

Sure, that's easily done.

Quote from danowat :also, you can save different car model settings to the wrong file.

i.e. this morning I overwrote an XR Turbo setup with XF GTi information, which then results in the overwritten file not being able to be read anymore.

I see what you're getting at, although the file should still be perfectly readable (only ride height should be a bit borked). I could make it so, if you have a setup open, and then change car, it automatically closes the file. That way if you try to save, it will revert to "Save As" and you will have to pick/type in a filename. Does that sound good?

VHPA v3.1.4 [updated 26/03/10]
(634 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG