The online racing simulator
Quote from evilgenius :Rewatched Sunshine yesterday... Still found the atmosphere of the film gripping, the immensity (not a word?) of the sun is just amazing.. Im so glad I saw that movie in the movie theatre.. Seeing the sun on the big screen and that soundtrack 3>

Loved it.
Quote from evilgenius :Rewatched Sunshine yesterday... Still found the atmosphere of the film gripping, the immensity (not a word?) of the sun is just amazing.. Im so glad I saw that movie in the movie theatre.. Seeing the sun on the big screen and that soundtrack 3>

The only thing that lets that film down is the actual plot and acting, luckily you don't need those to make films popular these days.
Says you.. I found the acting good... Yes the plot, well.... yes.. cant say its perfect... But its not laughable... completely.. But I just did like that movie
Quote from DeadWolfBones :I've seen bits of Gummo, but I'm really not a fan of Korine. He shoots beautiful images but as a storyteller he's total crap IMO. I should probably give him more of a chance.

I really like Gummo and don't really get those reviews that say it has no narrative. Its a beautiful film; gentle and sympathetic at the same time as it lingers uncomfortably on its observations. Of course, they're not really observations at all, but constructions, which adds to the ambivalence...

I like films shot on location, films that become infused with their environment, confuse documentary and fiction. Films that are open about being shot from a slightly ****ed up anthropological perspective. Contaminated and contaminating.

Saw Cockfighter the other night and its right in the centre of this idiom, as well as being on that border between exploitation and avant-garde, (produced by Roger Corman). Its directed by Monte Hellman (Two Lane Blacktop - and if you haven't seen that, then why have you been wasting time with anything else?).

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=emJ70KhpZGA
Quote from nihil :Saw Cockfighter the other night and its right in the centre of this idiom

Not to mention the poster has one of the best taglines ever:

"He came into town with his cock in hand, and what he did with it was illegal in 49 states."
Currently watching From Dusk Till Dawn on channel 4. Dark Comedy with Clooney at his best and an always great Harvey Keitell. Screenplay done by Tarantino and directed by Rodriguez, you can probably guess how violent and aggresive this film is, it is not one for the conservative viewer.

Oh and Salma Hayek is in it also :lovies::lovies::couple::lovies::lovies:
I know it has been mentioned before, but I just watched Wanted, and I have to say it is one of the coolest films of the year. Putting aside the total lack of reality, which is fine because it's not meant to be realistic, it's just an orgy of the coolest actions scenes ever, and some of the things you just wish you could actually do in real life. I'm not suprised they got quite a good cast for the film, it makes Jumper look like the lamest film ever made, and it has a good twist too.
Have not seen Wanted, so I can not give valid statements to back up the opinions, but isn't that the movie that has gotten like 1/6 on every damn review around?
They say the acting is bad, the plot is bad, the story is bad, generally that the movie sucks, BIG time ?
Quote from The Very End :Have not seen Wanted, so I can not give valid statements to back up the opinions, but isn't that the movie that has gotten like 1/6 on every damn review around?
They say the acting is bad, the plot is bad, the story is bad, generally that the movie sucks, BIG time ?

Don't know what they say, but I agree with Quicksilver, Wanted was a damn good watch. Don't judge it till you've seen it.
Quote from Paranoid Android :Yep Seraphim Falls is fantastic! I love when I get surprised like this by movies...Didn't have any expectations what so ever and it had been years I hadn't seen a movie of this kind...

need to see shattered then....

oh god i loved those movies
Quote from The Very End :Have not seen Wanted, so I can not give valid statements to back up the opinions, but isn't that the movie that has gotten like 1/6 on every damn review around?

It's very much like Shoot Em Up, it doesn't take itself seriously. I expect the type of people giving this film bad reviews are the same ones that think music causes teenagers to shoot people, and want anything violent or remotely sexual to be banned to keep their children pure. Infact reading the bad reviews the issues they seem to have are the carefully CGI'd gore fest scenes, and James McAvoy's American accent not being 100% correct.

Some people say it lacked imagination, but in my opinion using a Corvette as a ramp to barrel roll your Mustang over the top of a Limo that has bulletproof glass protecting a target inside, just so you can shoot them through the sunroof while apologising for doing so...is a pretty imaginative way to kill someone.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :It's very much like Shoot Em Up, it doesn't take itself seriously. I expect the type of people giving this film bad reviews are the same ones that think music causes teenagers to shoot people, and want anything violent or remotely sexual to be banned to keep their children pure. Infact reading the bad reviews the issues they seem to have are the carefully CGI'd gore fest scenes, and James McAvoy's American accent not being 100% correct.

You got a point there, and I actually has planned to see the movie myself. That might has something to do that most reviews gave Ace Ventura movies the same grades, while I laughed through the whole movie.

So I agree with what you write, (aswell as in text quoted below).

Quote :
Some people say it lacked imagination, but in my opinion using a Corvette as a ramp to barrel roll your Mustang over the top of a Limo that has bulletproof glass protecting a target inside, just so you can shoot them through the sunroof while apologising for doing so...is a pretty imaginative way to kill someone.

That's from Wanted? Holy shit, I want to see that. By the read of it, it seems bloody brilliant.
-
(Jakg) DELETED by Jakg
Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost!
TVE you still didn't watch Wanted?! That was one of the best movies this summer!

This summers top movies for me were Wanted, Hancock and Batman. Loved all 3.
Quote from evilpimp :TVE you still didn't watch Wanted?! That was one of the best movies this summer!

This summers top movies for me were Wanted, Hancock and Batman. Loved all 3.

I am going to watch it today, I am going on a date and we are going on cinema to see that movie
Dude, exam nerves are nothing compared to these nerves
Lol
What ? Hancock ?
I'd dare to say.. Hellboy2 or Iron Man in its place...
"Wanted" and "best movie" in one sentence without a "NOT" in between? And people thought the LHC would make the world explode. It was almost as bad as "Bulletproof Monk", which in turn was almost as bad as Ed Wood flicks.

But to contribute: Even though I missed it in the cinema, I recently watched the DVD of "Charlie Wilson's War". Very good movie.

Oh, and the dark knight was good, I'll give you that.

Sunshine was imho really awful. Especially towards the end when it was even hard to see what was going on. Huge disappointment for me.

As for good movies I've seen altely. I saw the Primer few days ago and even if the movie kinda falls apart if you think about the concepts it was still quite good movie. Then I saw the Next which was kinda nice movie too, a bit too cheesy at times and defenately had too much hollywood in it. Also watched Walk the line yesterday. Kinda good movie too although as it being drama it was merely good, looked a real lot like everything was cleaned up or hidden or left out if there was the slightest chance that someone would find it disturbing.

Haven't seen a real good movie lately

EDIT: watched hot fuzz too. Some of the stuff was good but in the end it was just totally awful movie with all the guns and shooting. Would have been a lot better with some other kind of ending, something actually funny be just nice...
I found the ending of Hot Fuzz great, it was just a huge spoof on action flics. Just to mention it, I liked Shaun of the Dead also a lot.

Other, utterly insane and funny movies I really cry laughing everytime I see them are "Guesthouse Paradiso" and "Kung Pow"
Quote from Hyperactive :I saw the Primer few days ago and even if the movie kinda falls apart if you think about the concepts it was still quite good movie.

Primer is the only time travel movie I can think of that is logically internally consistent. It's really a pretty amazing achievement.

Gotta love the credits, too.

Director: Shane Carruth
Writer: Shane Carruth
Cinematographer: Shane Carruth
Sound: Shane Carruth
Editing: Shane Carruth
Starring: Shane Carruth
Catering: Shane Carruth's mom
Couple of movies I'm probbably going to go and see in the immediate future.

Wanted (Maybe, still debating)
Tropic Thunder (He's the black iron man )
New Bond movie (definatly!)
Saw Pineapple Express yesterday. Good aul laugh to be had, definitely nothing to be taken seriously. Had it's moments Dunno why everyone hates Seth Rogen, he's a funny guy Wanted is the next movie I want to see. Looks good

E: Actually the story of me almost being refused entry to the movie was more comical. Had the rest of the group in stitches. I was asked for ID and all, and it's a 16s! It started off when I went to the desk, yer one asked what was my full date of birth. I said 12th Decemeber '91, as it is (decided to go with my actual date of birth, I am old enough for this one :razz. Then she tried to persuade me that I'm actually 17. True facepalm moment. Then she got the manager, who asked for ID and everything, on the verge of kicking me out. Truly embarrassing, had to deal with everyone else asking me am I old enough for anything I did for the rest of the night. Won't be going back there again
The Illusionist
Iron Man
Ratatouille
Wall-E
The Dark Knight

All great movies...
I know I always bang on about the classic films and all that, and well I'm not going to change at the moment. Recently watched 12 Angry Men last night and I'm always blown away by it. It just goes to show that if you get the right script and the right cast, then you do not need any action sequences or explosions to make a good film.

NB: for those able to get BBC1 - they have scheduled The Color of Money, to be shown on Monday at midnight, if they continue to show it I would recommended Sky+ing it, or if you don't have work/school the next day then you could try to watch it. Paul Newman returns as 'Fast Eddie' in the sequel to another great 'Hustler', and even though it has that short arsed, complete d-head of an actor (Cruise) it is still a good movie directed by one of the best directors out there, Martin Scorsese.
Quote from evilgenius :Lol
What ? Hancock ?
I'd dare to say.. Hellboy2 or Iron Man in its place...

I found it pretty funny and intense at some points (Hancock). I personally loved it.

Hellboy... My bro fell asleep during the movie twice apperently and so did his friends. Not a good sign and he said that even when there were action scenes you just dont get ''into it''. He told me not to watch it or at least not waste 10$ on it so not gunna go watch that. Iron man was MEH. I liked it but not THAT much.

Anyways, by far, Batman Dark Night was the greatest movie in a while.

Recommend a film you've seen lately.
(3163 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG