The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
Quote from ruckus37 :Ok Rfactor is not just ” Hollywood arcade style” it is a great game, the mod opportunities are endless +1 too Rfactor. LFS dies after 2023 laps around the same track (track’s),

You may want mods to keep the game alive but to say LFS dies is just stupid. This game is constantly improving over time and changing, look at the difference between S1 and 2

Modding opportunities aren't endless, you are confined to what the engine can do and also there’s no tool been released to make the AI line around the track

The biggest problem for rFactor is they are relying on the mods to keep the game alive. What would you do if the gamming industry hit down hard on people using trade names without a license?? Effectively a mod maker is stealing in a way because they aren't paying the big money for that license like EA and codemasters are.

For me the most important thing is the physics and that’s where LFS excels. Having the physics as dynamic as possible and using real world data rather than the old method of just simulating something within the limits that it needs to work in.

Keiran
So 5 months after the last person posted here you felt like bringing it from the dead?

Dont want to sound mean or flame you... I just dont see the need for bring it from the dead.
Not to mention he is online racing on the dreaded lfs. :P
just someone bored arguing for the sake of arguing dont matter if you know your wrong or right. just something to pass the time
Quote from _rod_ :So 5 months after the last person posted here you felt like bringing it from the dead?

Dont want to sound mean or flame you... I just dont see the need for bring it from the dead.

Sometimes, but not really often, someone comes back and tries to awake some dead piece of software...
I can't beleive people keep posting in this thread!!!

(DOH :doh: I just did it too)

LOL

EDIT: I mean... UH.... LFS RUL3S, RFACTOR SUXXORSS!!!1111ONE

:hide:
:spider::tired::bananadea
both sucks!!

gt4 is teh greatest driving simulation!1!!
:jedi:
I just got a letter in the mail telling me there is a draft for WWIII haha, now whos idea was to start the flame war? :bananadea:ambulance:bannana_p
If there's going to be WWIII about this, we'll need to get Bush on our side. He has the biggest guns. I wonder does he dig LFS?
Reporter: president bush, what do you think of the the simulator Live for Speed?

Bush: Well... uh... its about the simulation of... living for speed. a life of expedience.
No rednecks like him that come from texas throw their money towards NASCAR. Which I can't really stand because oval racing is probably next to drag racing where it takes the least racing skills / knowledge to be good. :tempted:

Edit : 100th post yippy-ki-yay! :monkey:
do you really think oval racing doesnt require as much skill from the driver and team as DTM, gt or any other type of racing on circuits with left and right corners?
Yea, everybody says nascar is actually extremely hard, but doesn't it make sense if turning in another direction once in a while is harder? I know it's not as simple as a lot people think it is, but I still think it's easier than making a right turn once in a while
Quote from Gabkicks :Reporter: president bush, what do you think of the the simulator Live for Speed?

Bush: Well... uh... its about the simulation of... living for speed. a life of expedience.

LOL Or "I like the pink cars" (that would be the answer if Conan O'Brian made a joke about this)
Quote from sgt.flippy :Yea, everybody says nascar is actually extremely hard, but doesn't it make sense if turning in another direction once in a while is harder? I know it's not as simple as a lot people think it is, but I still think it's easier than making a right turn once in a while

its not that simple. i mean that logic of "because they're only turning left its easier" is the same reason some people see all racing as pointless and boring and skill less. they dont realize what it takes to be faster than everyone else. Yes i agree its not as exciting as a circuit with left and right turns but i think the challenge is equally hard on the driver and team, just in slightly different ways. Alot of the nascar drivers participate in other forms of motorsport and do well.
Personally, I get tired of seeing all the "Nascar is not real racing", "Nascar is easy", "What's so hard about it, they just turn left" etc. Yea, it's not too tough to turn left. But try turning left 1000 times at an average speed of 170 mph for about 4 or 5 hours.

So, I guess I can say that all other racing series isn't real racing. Sure they turn both left and right, but they run an average of like 70 mph for only 40 feakin laps for crying out loud. How hard is that?

On that note, I've been sim racing offline since 1995 until I found LFS. It was my first real experience with road racing as well as my first experience at racing online. Hmm, I have no problem racing and turning left AND right in LFS. I've never ran NR2003 online and I don't think I want to. It would be just too hard to run around turning left only at 170 mph with unpredictable real live racers rather than predictable AI.

There you have it. Everyone elses "opinion" is forced on everyone, so, I give mine. Road racing is EASY! Get some speed for crying out loud. Anyone can drive around at 70-80 mph for an hour or so (heck, I do it every day coming to and from work). Do some 150+ mph AVERAGE speed for 4 or 5 hours!

Bristol this weekend. Half mile track, 500 laps, 125 mph average speed and 15 second lap times. Not even enough track length to stretch the 43 car field nose to tail. You want exciting racing? Watch that.
If you put it that way, I can tell you when you're driving on the freeway, 120km/h (probably more, but you should only be doing 120:tilt, a lot of people fall into sleep, there is no diversity, every time the same thing. But as far as watching to racing goes, I can't watch nascar for 4 hours, I will be sleeping. DTM or other things like that (no F1, hate that too) I can watch. But now I'm going to sleep, it's almost 2 o'clock here, I got exams next week :tired::sleep2:

Oh yea, I'm gonna stop replying to this kinda stuff, I don't like nascar that much, some of you guys do, I don't see the very difficult part in it (probably because I'm not that familiar with it). So this would turn out to be an endless discussion, wich I don't want to get involved in.
i dont relaly like nascar that much either. infacti only watched part of 1 or 2 races this year. its just i respect the drivers and teams and i dont like to see people calling nascar easy
You know how sometimes watching college basketball is more fun than watching pro ball because the kids make mistakes every once in a while?

Well, thats why I go to Watkins Glen for the Cup/Busch races whenever I get the chance. Although ten or twelve guys have the chops, its hilarious to watch the other thirty throw 3400/3600lb autos around left and right with no real clue how to do it properly. And it always points out that the northeast indeed DOES have its fair share of 'necks and hicks.

Its quite good fun, really. Big party.
Quote from skiingman :And it always points out that the northeast indeed DOES have its fair share of 'necks and hicks.

Its quite good fun, really. Big party.

Yea, of course, they have you running around
I like watching the Yaris cup, or clio cup before the actual racing starts. It's much more exciting. You don't see one of the belcar porsches or vipers almost tip over in a chicane. Well, maybe a slight chance, but in Yaris or Clio cups, it's almost sure. Face it, people like to see the cars crash, I think the majority of people have more fun watching a race where somebody crashes, than if nothing happens. People need sensation! Cars running around a track (oval or not) without any crashes can be boring sometimes. Why is it exciting to see two cars fighting for a position? They might crash.

There maybe are people that will say this isn't correct, but for the majority of people, it is. How many of you guys that drive a car, and you pass a car accident, doesn't slow down to watch? I know I do (on my bike ).
Well clearly, the guys at the top in NASCAR and oval racing generally are enormously skilled at the range of skills that oval racing requires, and we should respect that.

It just seems to me that the actual range of skills is smaller and different, rather than a lower level of skill being required. Clearly in oval racing, you dont need to be able to trail brake from 150-50mph into a decreasing radius turn over a crest without losing the back end; you dont need to be able to put down 700bhp while exiting a 30-40mph tight bend twice a lap without spinning; you dont need to be able to outbrake another car into a sweeper, or ride kerbs through a chicane at high speed. etc.etc.

Of course, you need need to be able to ride at high speed, surrounded by other cars, maintaining peripheral awareness, controlling the car and formulating overtaking strategy all at the same time, which no doubt takes great skill and concentration.
Quote from colcob : Clearly in oval racing, you dont need to be able to trail brake from 150-50mph into a decreasing radius turn over a crest without losing the back end; you dont need to be able to put down 700bhp while exiting a 30-40mph tight bend twice a lap without spinning; you dont need to be able to outbrake another car into a sweeper, or ride kerbs through a chicane at high speed. etc.etc.

You do most of that at bristol, and drivers brake at a lot of the big tracks these days as well.
The only thing that we will ever agree on is that you can learn to drive an oval faster. only 2 bends vs 7+ at a road course less to remember and so on.

hmm I was sure one of the demos used bristol but they dont. Anyway if you have never driven a nascar sim pick up the papyrus 2002 and 03 demo's and find out what us oval heads are on about.

The lfs oval is a bit pants next to most of the other shapes out there.

http://www.vugames.com/downloads.do

try braking in to the bends at richmond and michigan.
I used to play papyrus nascar sims, I have to agree, it's hard to avoid the other cars, but once your going it's so boring, I just played the game, or downloaded the demo for wrecking the other cars

Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG