The online racing simulator
Quote from marzman :then Don't Install The Testpatch, Or Make An Other Copy Of Your Lfs Install.

Testpatch Of Today Looks Great. I Wunder What Naming Will Be Used After Patch Z

Lfs S2 Alpha 0.6 A :d
Overall it seems pretty good, although hardly enough to renew waning interest for very long. The interiors are certainly better, although very plain and flat in some parts. I found the XRT/XRG interior particularly bland, there's very little shape to the dashboard above the centre console, and surely a nice logo or emblem could be placed in the middle of those plain road car steering wheels, even just to appear embossed perhaps. XRG wheels look rubbish too, but I'm not really bothered

Still, a new track or two would help me get over these issues.

Perhaps LFS tracks are like buses. You wait and wait, and then when one comes, another follows, but by that time you're thinking perhaps you'd prefer to go somewhere else
How frustrating, i tried editing the new XFR interior and wheel a bit... that's some wierd modelling right there
I wanted to make the leather a bit darker but then, it doesn't share the same texture to the air vents to the left... It's doable, but i couldn't be bothered...

I ended up only changing the red stiches on the racing wheel, made them more red and more visible.. I couldn't find the texture of the wheel center, wanted to add the 'momo' logo on it, or something...
Attached images
modeling.jpg
red stiches.jpg
Boris, the vents aren't modelled - they're just drawn on the textures. Like those annoying things on cricket pitches, but more convincing. Helps lower the polys for frame rates.
Quote from duke_toaster :Boris, the vents aren't modelled - they're just drawn on the textures. Like those annoying things on cricket pitches, but more convincing. Helps lower the polys for frame rates.

Yes i know, they are just drawn, but they don't share the same leather texture with the rest of the car, as you can see on the picture... and that's what i meant about wierd modeling It's pain in the a** to make a custom interior...

And this little thing is soo iritating, it seems like the interiors were rushed or something, it's a small thing, but it pokes me in the eyes.. I altered it on the picture as how it should be..

If only Eric could iron these little things until they go public...
Attached images
lazy.jpg
Quote from Boris Lozac :I couldn't find the texture of the wheel center, wanted to add the 'momo' logo on it, or something...

XRRwhlcenter1.dds - already sparco`d it up
So... Eric spent all this time making nice looking interiors and now you're going to change them? I think you're making a big deal over nothing. Do you really want him to waste his time to cater to the 0.05% of people that want to change the new interior?
Quote from Boris Lozac :Yes i know, they are just drawn, but they don't share the same leather texture with the rest of the car, as you can see on the picture... and that's what i meant about wierd modeling

And how do you propose he'd make a dashboard texture that's loopable in both U and V directions while at the same time using it for the leather surrounding the vents? You need to use either multitexturing or layers of geometry (silly), or simply model the vents out of geometry to make that happen, and I'm willing to bet none of those options are viable in LFS at the moment without changing tools and/or hardware requirements.

Just change both textures when you're modding. Job done.
Quote from Scawen :

- Break off wings instead of bending

this is a topic i thought much about... the break off wings etc:
i think all carbon and plastic parts on the cars should be breakable (especially the formula cars should be more breakable; nosecones, suspensions, mirrors...). on the road cars i think there should be the ability to break off the bumper bars and the rest bending like now in patch y. and of course: scattering glass
Quote from GTR_Yuni :I guess the devs were lying when they said it was _just_ new GTR interiors! Do the devs love surprising users with nice new content that they didn't say?

EDIT - see below...
Who says the rest aren't done, and they are going to surprise us
Quote from deggis :Nope. All, also road cars, were promised to be ready for next imcompatible patch. IIRC. Actually now that promise won't be fulfilled.

If you want to claim we made a promise and have not fulfilled it, please post a link to that promise. Otherwise it is quite an unfair thing to say, you are spreading false rumours.

For example when I said "I expect that all the GTR interiors will be updated at the same time" there is no way you can say that is a promise. That was me just giving a little info out, what our plans were. When plans change, as they do, then you know why I said "I expect" rather than "we are definitely going to do this".

If everything I ever say "may happen" or "I expect to happen" or "we plan to do this" ends up getting thrown back at me as a broken promise when plans change slightly, finally I will stop revealing plans altogether.
Quote from Scawen :If you want to claim we made a promise and have not fulfilled it, please post a link to that promise. Otherwise it is quite an unfair thing to say, you are spreading false rumours.

For example when I said "I expect that all the GTR interiors will be updated at the same time" there is no way you can say that is a promise. That was me just giving a little info out, what our plans were. When plans change, as they do, then you know why I said "I expect" rather than "we are definitely going to do this".

If everything I ever say "may happen" or "I expect to happen" or "we plan to do this" ends up getting thrown back at me as a broken promise when plans change slightly, finally I will stop revealing plans altogether.

Sorry, looks like I did not recall correctly. You never said clearly so. I guess what was said here and here with the previous (now obsolete) plan to release all interiors at once must have have been vague enough to make me believe so. Also might have been confusing what "all interiors" meant (all updated ones or literally for all cars, apparently the first one is correct?). Anyhow, my previous post wasn't intented as negative whine (smilie there). I almost added that I don't mind waiting when the quality of the interiors is this good.
I dont understand one thing, for example, the project gotham racing 3-4 interiors took no more then a week, maybe two if they where REALLY complicated to model and uv\texture.

For lfs, it shouldnt have taken more then 2months tops to do all the interiors, considering also that they are quite low poly and hence are pretty easy to uv\texture. He must have been doing something else, im sure of it, is it so?

Here's an example of a pgr3 cockpit:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albu ... ry/GT5%20vs%20PGR4/25.jpg

http://xs220.xs.to/xs220/07405/enzonoblur.jpg
They probably had a dedicated team of people working specifically on car interiors, and they were getting paid to do it as a 5 day a week job.
Holy cow PGR looks good...makes me wanna get a 360...

Don't forget, Eric is on his own, doing every single texture for LFS (except the UF series). (We hope!) He's also working on new tracks, cars, better graphics, etc., and has to do all of that too.
GRID kills that game, peep the demo from fileshack.
Was it just me or is it that the rollcages of the GTRs with new interiors aren't 'paintable'?
It`s not just you. Edit the XRcage.dds file if you want a different colour. It`s no longer part of the skin on the new cars.
Quote from RMachucaA :I dont understand one thing, for example, the project gotham racing 3-4 interiors took no more then a week, maybe two if they where REALLY complicated to model and uv\texture.

For lfs, it shouldnt have taken more then 2months tops to do all the interiors, considering also that they are quite low poly and hence are pretty easy to uv\texture. He must have been doing something else, im sure of it, is it so?

Here's an example of a pgr3 cockpit:

I'd take the fanboi hat on and tell you that 'zomg, Eric works alone!', but I'm no fanboi, therefore am going to agree with you. I mean, it's not perfect, or close to it, and you'd kind of expect that after about two years of complaint about the interiors.

Example, when you turn your head in the xrr, the camera clips the seat, and you realise that the texture is quite awful. Another thing; the hazards. On the race car it's fine, because race cars don't always have them, let alone need them, but in the road cars, the orange dot flashing when you turn any signal lights on is just ridiculous.

p.s. my wheels should still fall off when I drive around
p.s.2. oh, and is Westhill really the track that needs the update the most? I reckon Fern Bay is much more overdue than Westhill!
Quote from RMachucaA :I dont understand one thing, for example, the project gotham racing 3-4 interiors took no more then a week, maybe two if they where REALLY complicated to model and uv\texture.

I think Eric is still learning by doing. the guys who does PGR are trained to do so and has much more experience in regard, and outright better modellers I am sure.

PGR's cockpit also looks better because it's better designed (by real car designers in the end) and the graphic engine is better.

the texture quality etc ain't actually that good. but they don't have to rely so much in texture to produce the result.

furthermore they might have other tools to aid their modelling and speed up the process.

p.s. the first one is actually gt5p
-
([RF]-art555) DELETED by [RF]-art555
^ good eye! lol, i missed that completely :P.

Anyways, im sure eric must have been working on something else, despite this i sort of feel these cockpits didnt get enough love. I understand the low poly limits imposed by the gfx engine, but a little love goes a long way. Regardless i guess he did the best with what he's got...
And who the hell holds a wheel like that?(PGR4 pictures)
This thread is closed

Today's Test Patch - XF and XR Interiors
(251 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG