The online racing simulator
Have we uncovered her true identity...
Oh god, that you guys can test these new stuff I dont have LFS here

5 weeks to go
Quote :I think we should get two versions of patch z. one ZEE and one ZED. All you brits think we're wrong on how we pronounce our z's, but to me its correct >=(

In patch ZEE manual transmissions and hard suspension have all be removed. Patch ZED will be limited to cars with an engine under 1.6 litres...

I am looking forward to see Eric's new work, and hope one day we might still see some more track environments in LFS >>hint hint<<.
Took another look at the cockpits, and now I think they look better than the ones in Test Drive Unlimited.
Quote from Scawen :Well, no, about tyre physics, I haven't been thinking about tyres recently. On the physics side of things I'm more concerned about collisions and damage before another session on tyre physics. My brain is too small to think about TOO many things as once. So, no real reply, no plans on that at the moment.

The good thing is that You are planning another tyre physics session. Little bit sad is that even You don't know when. For serious simmers tyre physics is the most important part of the sim, and LFS tyres imperfections are keeping some of them away from LFS.

A lot of people from the polish sim community (which has grow up on Papyrus simulations) are moaning about LFS:
"Hey look, this F1 WR has been made using a lot of sliding, it is arcade."
"Normal cars are not sliding that much"
"In the real world sliding is causing a lot of time loss, but not in LFS".
Without fixing tyres problems they will treat LFS as a drifting game for teenagers.

They don't care about all the brilliant features in LFS, because the base thing isn't perfected. Scawen, please think little bit about it. Collisions and damage are "visible" only in certain circumstances, tyres behaviour is "visible" all the time.
I don't really see much of a problem with collisions. Car to car contact in LFS is great IMHO.

Seriously, look at how bad the accidents are in iRacing:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zpCbmfbPsoI
Quote from Technique :I don't really see much of a problem with collisions.

Until you hit an autocross barrier ... whhheeeee ...
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe iRacing has been in development for 5 years.
- Break off wings instead of bending

yay!!!
i wish the wing on the open wheelers can break off as well =]
Quote from Quint999 :Hasn't Iracing only opened to the public less than 1 week ago, do you think Iracing still have that bug in 5 years time ?

If iRacing would take as much time as Scavier regarding this issue, then yes.
Quote from hrtburnout :If iRacing would take as much time as Scavier regarding this issue, then yes.

funny..

Let me tell you about the only accident I caused in iRacing. After the start, I rear ended someone in T1. As soon as I hit him, his car disappeared from plain site. I frantically hit "look right", I look in the rear view, but the car's just GONE. No he didn't join the spectators or enter pits (you have to come to a complete stop to do that). That car just freaking disappeared. I'm sure he reemerged somewhere out of my view. After the race, I wanted to see the replay so I knew who to apologize to, but no, after 5 years of development it only records the last 6 laps of the race (if you only have 1GB of memory like me)

Even when I started playing LFS in 0.1 or whatever in 2002 we had fairly solid multiplayer collisions and were able to watch an entire replay (and save it - another feature lacking from iRacing). So you guys may whine about development speed but I think it's quite amazing what one software developer can do compared to a large team with alot of money..!

p.s. I didn't mean to single you out I'm sure the bugs in iRacing will be fixed soon and the ability to view and save replays will be added.... development speed seems to be very good. But the fact remains we're shelling out a lot of money for a game that lacks a ton of features that LFS already has.
Quote from Technique :funny..

Let me tell you about the only accident I caused in iRacing. After the start, I rear ended someone in T1. As soon as I hit him, his car disappeared from plain site. I frantically hit "look right", I look in the rear view, but the car's just GONE. No he didn't join the spectators or enter pits (you have to come to a complete stop to do that). That car just freaking disappeared. I'm sure he reemerged somewhere out of my view. After the race, I wanted to see the replay so I knew who to apologize to, but no, after 5 years of development it only records the last 6 laps of the race (if you only have 1GB of memory like me)

Even when I started playing LFS in 0.1 or whatever in 2002 we had fairly solid multiplayer collisions and were able to watch an entire replay (and save it - another feature lacking from iRacing). So you guys may whine about development speed but I think it's quite amazing what one software developer can do compared to a large team with alot of money..!

p.s. I didn't mean to single you out I'm sure the bugs in iRacing will be fixed soon and the ability to view and save replays will be added.... development speed seems to be very good. But the fact remains we're shelling out a lot of money for a game that lacks a ton of features that LFS already has.

I havent seen what you mention personally, possibly his internet connection isnt as good, or yours. Also, about the replays, you dont see cars blinking like the replays in lfs... in lfs they twich every second, which i've always found incredibly annoying, comparatively in iracing, the replays are butter smooth, just look at this youtube vid of me having a fight with tim wheatly and him loosing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHh_HU92nh4
Except you two never made contact. Once two cars make contact all hell brakes loose as you can see in my own video here:

http://downshift.blip.tv/file/1032388/

... if it makes a difference my ping to the servers is usually 30-35ms.
iRacing have flying cars - just like LFS
compare the smooth online play with lfs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQwpnT0E5q8

About the wrecks, its inherently difficult to make big crashes look realistic online, theres not fast enough communication to update the cars extreme positioning while in a big wreck, so thats something we all live with.
Quote from RMachucaA :I havent seen what you mention personally, possibly his internet connection isnt as good, or yours. Also, about the replays, you dont see cars blinking like the replays in lfs... in lfs they twich every second, which i've always found incredibly annoying, comparatively in iracing, the replays are butter smooth, just look at this youtube vid of me having a fight with tim wheatly and him loosing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHh_HU92nh4

Is it just me or was that the most realistic sim racing ever seen?
That Limerock Solstice race does look quite awesome, but I must say, it's very hard comparing it to LFS, or rather, understanding what's the difference. It's obvious the graphics are better, and the replay seems smoother, but else than that, it's hard to say if the netcode is better.

However, it still doesn't convince me to switch to iracing, and that's just because the choice of cars is dreadful.
Is it me or is that an excellent song ?

Muse ftw
This is not the iRacing thread... but how they've done that extremely smooth car movement in online? Because 100 ms just can't be turned into 0 ms, is it relying on heavy car movement pre-calculation that might also cause those disappearing cars and odd collisions?
iRacing vs LFS? hard decision, is not easy to decide, at the moment i am enjoying iRacing, But i never think to take apart LFS.
Quote from deggis :This is not the iRacing thread... but how they've done that extremely smooth car movement in online? Because 100 ms just can't be turned into 0 ms, is it relying on heavy car movement pre-calculation that might also cause those disappearing cars and odd collisions?

Check out this article.

http://www.gaffer.org/archives/zen-of-networked-physics

Download the demo and run "NetworkedPhysics.exe". Read the index.html page for the keyboard controls. You can increase packet loss, adjust latency, view the server side and client side cubes, etc. It's pretty slick (even though its an old article).
thx scawen , i love the new adds on the demo cars . the interiors are awesome and i really loved the new rims on the xrg. you are really making this game more realistic and modern
Quote from el pibe :thx scawen , i love the new adds on the demo cars . the interiors are awesome and i really loved the new rims on the xrg. you are really making this game more realistic and modern

Eric do
Quote from boosterfire :That Limerock Solstice race does look quite awesome, but I must say, it's very hard comparing it to LFS, or rather, understanding what's the difference. It's obvious the graphics are better, and the replay seems smoother, but else than that, it's hard to say if the netcode is better.

However, it still doesn't convince me to switch to iracing, and that's just because the choice of cars is dreadful.

No idea how iRacing works but being from Australia i can race quite comfortably at 300ms + with no warping or whatever at this stage.

Be interesting to see what its like when the system is at a fuller capacity?
Can I play iRacing on my PC?
This thread is closed

Today's Test Patch - XF and XR Interiors
(251 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG